Start by marking “Octopus Oyster Hermit Crab Snail: A Poem of the Sea” as Want to Read:
Octopus Oyster Hermit Crab Snail: A Poem of the Sea

Octopus Oyster Hermit Crab Snail: A Poem of the Sea

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Start at the tips of the foamy waves, where the sun glints off the water, and go down to the depths of the sea, where the eel's phosphorescence glows in the dark with otherworldly intensity. Below the waves, there are to be seen, among a myriad of living creatures, the octopus, the snail, and the angelfish. Deeper still are the whales, the lobsters, and the sticklebacks. R ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Handprint Books

To ask other readers questions about Octopus Oyster Hermit Crab Snail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octopus Oyster Hermit Crab Snail

Erin
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
This one is better than Anderson's book "Some of My Best Friends are Polka-Dot Pigs" but not much. The illustrations and rhymes are better. Sometimes she lists just animal names, but the names aren't next to the animals... so you're not always sure which is which. Anyway, it IS very bright and colorful, if that's what you're looking for.
Mary
A beautiful rhyming poem about the sea--full of rich vocabulary and mention of some of the many animals who inhabit our oceans.
The images are large and colorful and the text is minimal--a great resource for storytime!
Susan
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, storybook
This book really worked for me. I was enchanted by: the poetic, clever, rhythmic use of words to create the poem; the brilliant, stylistically and colouring, illustrations and their 3D effects, the way that the words and illustrations invite the reader to explore the underwater and shoreline scenes to find the critters and also notice more details than they otherwise might see; and the overall magical but still scientific gestalt of this book. I think this is a book that a reader could read many ...more
Kaitlyn Elmerick
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Poetry
Grade level: Lower Elementary
This book that features poetry is also very informational! It teaches about life under the sea and has great pictures that I think children would really enjoy!
Brittany Dalziel
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Personal Reaction: I loved the illustrations in this book! Each page is very colorful and the way the illustrator does her drawings to look like a bunch of different shapes put together is really interesting. I also thought it was interesting how the author doesn't mention more common fish that everyone knows about and that instead she mentions ones like pompano and barnacle.

Purpose: The purpose of this book is to be read aloud to children K - 2nd grade. This book can serve both as an enrichmen
Christian Wallace
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Personal Reaction- I enjoyed this poetry book because it had a very good balance of rhyme and illustration. The Colors are very vibrant and the illustration style is good for representing sea creatures and the under water environment. Examples include the illustration of the monstrous whale and and the school of fish that seem to light up the sea.

Purposes- This would be a good poetry read aloud for enrichment purposes. For curriculum purposes, I would use this poetry book as a way to expose you
Dolly
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book offers a wonderful look at life in the sea. One rhyming poem is featured, with a mixture of alliteration, lists of creatures, and fun descriptive words (we loved the introductory line, "under indigo swells in cerulean seas.)"

The book is gorgeously illustrated, and the scenes are vivid and nicely detailed. With short narratives on each two-page spread (sometimes just a line or a few words), this book would work easily for a group read-aloud.

The poem's rhymes lead the reader to guess ho
Shannon
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are beautiful, but some of the language is far too advanced for a child audience. "Under indigo swells in cerulean seas. . ." I don't know any child who could tell you what that means. Also, although the author introduces readers to a number of sea creatures, the placement of the words with the illustrations could make it difficult for readers to tell which animal is which, unless they were already familiar.
Heather
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
The best things about this book are the colorful illustrations and challenging vocabulary. Unfortunately the poetry wasn't fantastic, and sometimes the author listed names of sea creatures randomly across the page, instead of matching the names with the images of the creatures. I really wanted to like this book, but it was just okay.
Susan Lucille Davis
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Octopus Oyster Hermit Crab Snail: A Poem of the Sea by Sara Anderson allowed me to indulge in my love of picture books and poetry, while reminiscing about snorkeling off the shores of Oahu. The poem introduces readers to the inhabitants of the ocean, its illustrations as luscious as the lovely, lyrical rhymes of the poem and a gentle tugging rhythm to remind us of the movement of the sea itself.
Amelia
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
A short poem about the sea and all of its creatures, octopus, oyster, hermit crabs, whales, lobster, barnacle and more. A good example of rhyme and rhythm with good illustrations but probably best fit for younger students.
Brenda Kahn
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Gorgeously illustrated. I wouldn't quite call it a poem though it's a rhythmic, interesting list of sea creatures. The book would've benefitted from a section containing thumbnails of the animals with snippets of info
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, kids-books
Gorgeous pelagic artwork accompanies a poem which, while solidly-written, is occasionally fey and over-lyrical.
Kalynda
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute and clever ocean poem with an introduction to many sea creatures and plants.
Clarissa
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This undersea poem is is illustrated with beautiful pictures. It begins "Under indigo swells in cerulean seas." A lovely read aloud for young children.
Kiddo
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: maybe
As the author says, this is a poem set to pictures. I want to like it more than I do. Kiddo hasn't yet got past the first page.
Joy
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Love the bright illustrations, but the text seems a bit overwritten.
Erin
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very colorful book that lists different sea creatures.

Good for toddler storytimes.
Debra