Start by marking “California Girls” as Want to Read:
California Girls

California Girls

The California sunshine’s not quite so bright for three sisters who get dumped in the same week…

Finola, a popular LA morning show host, is famously upbeat until she’s blindsided on live TV by news that her husband is sleeping with a young pop sensation who has set their affair to music. While avoiding the tabloids and pretending she’s just fine, she’s crumbling inside, des
Expected publication: February 26th 2019 by MIRA

Andrea
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, romance
Starting over isn't easy, even when it's the right thing to do.

This is Susan Mallery doing what she does best: combining romance and chick lit with all the feelings and lessons about love, loss, heartbreak, moving on, and learning and ultimately coming out of the worst moments of your life a stronger person.

This book tells the story of three sisters, who couldn't be more different, all experiencing a painful breakup at the same time, each of them learning a different lesson: Ali's fiancé doesn'
Taryn
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
In this emotionally charged new read by author Susan Mallery we meet three sisters who all seem to be going through a difficult time, at the same time. Finola, the oldest, learns that her husband is cheating on her with a famous singer who happens to be a guest on her tv show the day she finds out. Zennie gets broken up with but for her she just wasn't into it anyway, she thinks that she is her best self alone and not in a relationship. She's happy with the way things are so when her best friend ...more
Michele
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
See the full review at HarlequinJunkie.com

Susan Mallery proved once again how on the mark her writing is with this relatable and funny yet poignant work of women’s fiction. Filled with the complexities of family and personal relationships, California Girls explored issues that will resonate with every reader while it ultimately tugs at your heartstrings.

I’m always surprised when I read a new Susan Mallery book with how she keeps her characters so down to earth while putting them through their pa
Louise Bird
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kudos to Susan Mallery!
This book is amazing, it is about three sisters who all have relationship breakups on the same day. The end for them is the beginning of self-discovery and finding out who they truly are.
It is a must read!
Jen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the greatest joys of reading is the ability to escape to a different locale. In the midst of a cold Minnesota winter, escaping to California with sisters Finola, Zennie, and Ali was an absolute delight!
☀ ☀☀
Three sisters, all dealing with various dramas in their life. Morning show host Finola is blindsided on national TV when she finds out her husband has been having an affair. Zennie is content with her small life so her breakup is no big deal...until she’s presented with the opportunity
Lisa Schneider
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I used to be an avid reader of Susan Mallery a few years ago. She stopped being my instant buy about 16 books into the Fool's Gold series, just because I felt like they were getting monotonous. After reading this book, I am going to have to rethink my previous stand. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

This novel is about three sisters: Finola, Zennie, and Ali. Three sisters have never been more different.

Finola is the oldest, most d
Kathryn
3.5 stars. Review to follow.
Sharon
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sisters Ali, Zennie, and Finola are having a rough time in the relationship department - they've all been dumped in the same week. Ali's fiancé sent his brother to break off their engagement; Finola finds out her husband is having an affair with a pop sensation who is a guest on the talk show she hosts; and Zennie just doesn't see the point in dating, a fact her latest date notices before he breaks it off with her.

Each sister copes with the breakup in her own way. Ali tackles the task of unplann
Jacquie Biggar
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when the world seems against them, three sisters find an inner strength and a bond they never expected.

Television personality, Finola is finally ready to give her husband his greatest desire-children. She plans to tell him on a rare getaway that goes awry when she learns he’s been having an affair.

Zinnie is happy on her own. She’s focused on a nursing career and only dates because it’s ‘the thing to do.’ So, when her best friend (a cancer survivor) approaches her to be a surrogate, Zinnie j
Hallie
Thank you to Harlequin Books for a free review copy.

California Girls is full of feel-good sister moments that center around starting again and taking responsibility for your own happiness. Finola, Zennie, and Ali are all dealing with the aftermath of breakups and what it means for their future. Susan Mallery meshes romance and women’s lit in this story.

Finola, wrecked by her husband’s infidelity with a pop star, feels like her life is over. She questions how she will ever be able to move on whi
Julia David
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story about 3 sisters. All three sisters have a major upheavel in their lives. Suddenly Finola's perfect marriage isn't so perfect, Ali's fiancée has his brother break up with her just a few weeks before the wedding and Zennie decides to help her friend have a baby by becoming a surrogate. They each are learning things about themselves, sometimes it is good and sometimes it isn't. Their mother isn't much help through all their trials and they grow closer to each other in the process of fin ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three sisters who each get dumped on the same day. What follows for each is the heart of the story. This sends each on a very different path. I enjoyed meeting the three and their slightly off center Mother who just wants to be a grandmother. For each of the sisters the result is not what they expected. This follows them for a year and the result for each is a bit of a surprise. A nice contemporary romance that has both serious and light moments.

I received a free copy of the book in return for
Jill
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of 3 sisters whose lives are turned upside down at the same time and how they each deal with their situations. Two of the sisters are so self absorbed and the third is so invisible. By halfway through I couldn't wait for the two sisters to realize their negative ways. I found I was looking forward to the invisible sister's story to continue in the book. I enjoyed her story, even though the invisible, heavy sister doesn't usually get the hunky sexy guy, we can always dream!
Poongothai
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Story of thee sisters who get dumped on the same day. We have Finola a TV show host, whose husband has an affair with a young pop star, Zennie a nurse who feels she is not cut out for pairing up and wants to be alone but also wants to be a surrogate mother for her friend. Then we have Ali, who is always overlooked gets dumped by her fiance 7 weeks before the wedding.
It was an ok read. I did not feel connected to any of the characters.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the eARC
Jayme
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story of loss, family, love and friendships. In the beginning I didn’t much care for Finola, Ali was clueless, and Zennie was harsh. But after getting involved in their stories, my mind was changed, just like Fin evolved, Ali became herself and Zen became softer.
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Chick lit at its finest! The engaging tale of three sisters spurned in the same week. As one might expect, as each woman deals with her breakup she ultimately learns and grows in the process. Cliche though the yarn may be, the book itself was so enjoyable I didn't mind the fact that its a story oft told. Moreover, youngest sister Ali's love interest; if it were possible for fictional characters to come to life and emerge from the pages, I'd be pinning for this man.
Patty
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting and sorry of fun to read but after a while the characters were just too predictable and the situations weren’t that believable.
Julie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this romance book with 3 sisters all who ended up breaking up on the same day and for different reasons. I loved Ali , Fiona, and Zennie. They all grew and changed over the course of time. Granted two of the sisters found love but they showed growth during this time. I really enjoyed it. I think I found a new author .
Olivia Farr
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-reviews
"California Girls" follows three sisters after they each have a break-up of varying levels. Finola is a local AM news/talkshow host. Her husband shows up right before a show- and their planned vacation to Hawaii where she is ready to start trying for pregnancy- to tell her he's been having an affair. When that is followed by the guest she has, a young pop star, revealing that she is the one who has been sleeping with Finola's husband, Finola is sent into a tailspin.

Zennie is semi-dumped by the g
Claire Mc Partlin
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book about three very different sisters and the dramas in their lives. I think I got thrown off track with Susan Mallery a bit with a couple of so-so Fools Gold books that I wasn't that keen on, but this is definitely Susan Mallery at her best.

The three sisters, Finola, Zennie & Ali, are all very different but have each recently split with their husband/fiancee/partner, although Zennie may have split up with a guy she was seeing but she wasn't that bothered about him an
Diane
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
California Girls by author Susan Mallory is another wondery story about three sisters who are all experiencing a very dramatic event in their lives. Each of the three girls are dumped by the men in their lives on the same week. Finola is the very popular host of an LA TV show, and thirty minuts before she goes live, her husband pops in her office to tell her he is leaving her. They are scheduled to leave the next day for a week in Hawaii. She is shocked!
Zennie is an OR nurse who loves her job, s
Peggy Jaeger
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three sisters, as different as chalk is from cheese, all get dumped by the men in their lives on the same day. One’s husband tells her he’s been having an affair and leaves to be with that much younger woman; one gets dumped during a dinner out, and the youngest gets dumped a few weeks before her wedding – and that’s not the worst part for her: her fiancé doesn’t even tell her in person. He sends his brother to do the dirty work.

Can these three women pick up the pieces of their relationship-disa
Susan McClintock
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an advance readers copy of this book from NetGalley for my honest review. This book tells the story of three sisters, Finola, Zennie and Ali who are dumped on the same day and tells the ensuing fallout. Finola is a local morning show personality in LA. Her longtime husband chooses to tell her he is having an affair 15 minutes to her going on live TV. The worst part, her guest on the show, country star Treasure, let’s her know as they are going on that she is the other woman. Zennie ha ...more
Ann-marie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Susan does it again writing another tale of sisters losing their love and picking up the pieces. California Girls is about three sisters Finola Zenner and Ali. Finola is the sister who seems to have it all, brains beauty and wonderful husband. She host an am talk show that is doing wonderful. Zenner is a an OR nurse who unlike her sisters don’t believe in romance and love and do not mind being alone.
In the novel each sister is faced with a challenge. Finola husband decides to have a passionate a
Kathleen Gray
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ali and Finola have a whopping bad day- the two sisters are both dumped, Finola by her husband who has run off with a pop star, and Ali by her fiancé who leaves her with the bill. Oh, and Ali also has a problem because she's sold her stuff and let her lease go because she planned to move in with Glen, the rat. Zennie, their sister, is a cool headed OR nurse whose boyfriend notes her lack of commitment to their relationship. However, Zennie is committed to her friend Bernie, so committed that she ...more
Jessi
Three sisters: the youngest, Ali, who is about to get married, those oldest, Finola, who has the perfect marriage, and the middle, Zennie, who is not really interested in dating. All of them are dealing with personal crises and milestone. Ali's fiancé's brother shows up. The fiancé doesn't especially want to get married but he's not going to tell her himself. Finola's, who is a TV personality, husband shows up half an hour before she's going on air to tell her that he's been having an affair. Ze ...more
Becky Wise
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
California Girls is a wonderful read filled with lots of heart, some heart ache and watching sisters come together. This was such a beautiful read watching each sister come into her own. Each sister is different in her own way. You have the oldest Finola. She is direct and doesn't hold back her opinion. Married not only to work but to her husband too. Zennie is the middle sister. She does her own thing, beats to her own drum and the tomboy. Single and doesn't feel the need to be in a relationshi ...more
Miriam
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Are you into Chicklit? Books about romance, love, and relationships? Then you should be reading Susan Mallery's upcoming book (releases Feb 26, 2019)!

California Girls is all about sisters, friends, relationships, and even mother/daughter relationships, but most of all, it's about communication and respect. Sisters Finola, Zennie, and Ali all suffer break-ups on the same Friday night. Mired in emotion, struggling to find their own ways to cope, they learn that friendship and family are really im
Laura Hill
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A (typical) bravo performance from Susan Mallery. Three sisters all in different stages of heartbreak do what it takes to rebuild their lives with surprising (but "feel good") results. Finola is the well-put together LA morning-show host whose husband leaves her for a younger woman just moments before she goes on the air — the extra zing? The woman is her first guest. Zennie is the athletic OR nurse who doesn’t believe that everyone needs to be paired up in twos — she is very happy with her unat ...more
Donna Hines
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Three sisters in vastly different yet similar times of their lives when being jilted and feeling lonely takes on a new look of redemption, courage, and the chance to rebuild.
Each of these sisters is facing powerful sorrow but refuses to give up in love and in life.
What is fascinating is how Susan brings it all in and makes a powerful connection among these sisters and their outward connections.
Fiona just learned her husband is having an affair with a much younger mistress. Zennie has an idea to
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • Your Love Is Mine (Maine Sullivans, #1; The Sullivans, #19)
  • Life and Other Inconveniences
  • Summer of '69
  • Unforgettable You (Silver Springs, #5)
  • Summer by the Tides
  • A Soldier's Return
  • Marrying My Cowboy
  • Suddenly Mine (Montgomery Brothers, #8)
  • Sunset Beach
  • The Promise (Neighbor from Hell, #10)
  • Fatal Reckoning (Fatal, #14)
  • The McAvoy Sisters Book of Secrets: A Novel
  • #Burn (Fever Falls #2)
  • Best Family Ever (Baxter Family Children, #1)
  • Good Riddance
  • Under the Table
#1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery writes heartwarming and humorous novels about the relationships that define women's lives—family, friendship, romance. She's best known for putting nuanced characters into emotionally complex, real-life situations with twists that surprise readers to laughter. Because Susan is passionate about animal welfare, pets play a big role in her books. Bel ...more