Start by marking “A Mother's Goodbye” as Want to Read:
A Mother's Goodbye

A Mother's Goodbye

‘My arms ache with the need to reach and hold my precious child, and then to never let go. But I can’t. I know I can’t.’

Heather is devastated. There’s no way she can keep her baby. She can barely pay the bills as it is. But when she meets Grace, a wealthy, single career woman, who wants a baby more than anything, Heather believes she has found the perfect adoptive mother.

A
Published June 13th 2018 by Bookouture (first published June 11th 2018)

Mischenko
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Also see this review @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2018/...

*A few mild spoilers from the beginning of the book*

Heather

Heather and Kevin have been together since high school when she became pregnant with her first little girl as a teenager. Since then, she's gone on to have two more daughters. Kevin has been injured at work and due to financial difficulties, they are struggling to make ends meet. Unexpectedly, Heather finds out she's pregnant again and knows in her heart that they simply ca
KAS
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it

Emotional Jam Packed Read!!

So, not my usual genre, but I could not resist the title nor the cover of this book. Frankly, I couldn’t resist the overall 4.5 star rating.

This is a very thought provoking read. It is also, for me, quite an original read. I did go in blind with my own preconceived notions, some which panned out, and others that did not.

I was immediately drawn to the characters and tried placing myself in their individual situations. You know the old saying that goes something like .
Dash fan
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5☆ A Powerfully Emotional Read!

Wow oh wow did A Mother's Goodbye tug at my heartstrings. It's a powerful and emotional read that touched my heart.

I am not going to talk about the plot as to be honest the blurb is enough to give you an insight into this mesmerising read.
One you really need to experience yourself.

The story is told in both mothers points of view. It really works as you get to see both sides to adoption and being a mother and having to make that agonising and heart breaking decisio
Berit☀️✨
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Heartbroken Stars 💔🌟🌟🌟🌟.5

Wow! This book pulled at my heartstrings from first page to last... A touching book about mothers love.... two mothers loving the same child.... One gave birth to him... and the other gives life to him.... both wanting the best for him....

Heather’s husband has lost his job, they have three young kids that they cannot afford to buy new shoes for, when Heather finds herself pregnant with baby number four....Grace has a successful professional life, but feels like somet
Eva
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stock up on tissues, chocolate and/or ice cream or whatever comfort food takes your fancy because believe me, you are going to need it!

When Heather discovers she’s pregnant, there are no tears of joy. With a husband off work and three other children to feed, life is hard enough as it is and the bills keep piling up. Heather decides to give her baby up for adoption and thinks single career woman Grace might just be perfect.

Grace is terribly lonely after the death of her father. Her job has always
Michelle
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book review can be found on my blog here: www.booksonthebookshelf.wordpress.com

Oh my gosh! This book is sad, thrilling, gripping and completely pulls on your heart strings. You will laugh, gasp, cry and even get mad as you read this book. So many mixed emotions at different times while you read this book. This book draws you in at the first chapter and keeps you entertained and hooked the whole way to the end.

Full of heartache, tough decisions, dilemmas, drama and struggles of everyday life that
Renita D'Silva
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh I loved this book. It wrecked me, taking me on an emotional, heart breaking journey. I loved it from start to finish. Absolutely beautiful, the writing so gorgeous and evocative, transporting you, making you feel the pain and the dilemma, the heart rending choices faced by the characters. A brilliant story, one that will stay with me for a long time. Very highly recommended to everyone.
Joanna Park
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my word I think this book broke me.  It’s been a while since I’ve cried so much at a book but I’m very glad I got the chance to read this one.

The story follows two women on both sides of the adoption journey.  Rachel is a mum of three whose fallen on hard times and when she falls pregnant again she knows they can’t afford to keep the baby.  Grace is a high flying career woman who desperately wants a child to stop the loneliness she feels after her father’s death.  It was great to be able to f
Jean
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookouture, netgalley
Powerful...Emotional...Heart-wrenching

A Mother's Goodbye is a story about one's woman decision to give up her baby for adoption and another woman's dream to be a single mother. The story is told in both mothers points of view. You truly feel their emotions and their journey. The writing is beautiful. It will pull at your heartstrings and bring you to tears. It was an easy read and keeps you invested throughout the book.

As an adoptive mother myself, I found this book to be relatable. I know all a
Nessa
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh wow, I have literally been moved to tears with this book. It was such a beautiful, heartfelt and emotional story that seriously pulled at my heartstrings and brought tears to my eyes in a lot of places.

I loved how the story was told by the two main characters Heather and Grace, as it really gives the story depth and different viewpoints. You truly get a feel for both of the characters, seeing how they coped, the decisions they ultimately have to make and all of the experiences/events they hav
Els
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was promised an emotional story and boy oh boy it was absolutely true. As soon as you open the book, the emotions jump out of it and grab you by the throat. I assure you they won’t let you go until the last word. So you are warned and you can brace yourself.
The book was unputdownable but I had take a breather now and then because it was so heavy.
It’s not easy to write a book and I think it’s even more difficult to be able to make your readers feel story and not only read it. This author certai
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being a mother myself I really found this book to be profoundly relatable and exceptionally tender. You could feel the emotion on every page. Heartwarming, touching, honest and raw, these sentiments are believable and compelling. Kate Hewitt really knows how to write a story to pull at your heartstrings.
Robyn
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heather McCleary is faced with the hardest decision of her life when she finds herself pregnant with her fourth child. Her husband has been out of a job for the past three years due to an on the job injury and her meager salary as a cleaning lady barely covers the rent. It is hard enough taking care of the three girls she already has and Heather knows deep down inside that a baby deserves a better life than the one she can give it. She comes to the decision to give her baby up for adoption. She ...more
Shalini
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was too emotional, tore at my heartstrings till I could not breathe.
Heather had 3 girls, with a lazy husband, suddenly finds herself pregnant for the fourth time, gives the newborn for adoption to Grace,
The 2 women become friends of sorts and the story is told in their alternate viewpoints. The timelines change and the circumstances change, but the emotional impact does not.
I read this story crying, the twists kept me reading this book even with tears falling on my kindle. Mother's lo
Kellie
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another stunning read from Bookouture and my first book by Kate Hewitt.

Before reading this book, I assumed it to be a story about the battle between two equally deserving women who both wanted the same thing, a child, and what they wouldn’t do to have that child. Written from each ‘Mother’s’ point of view, I was lulled into a sense that I was correct in my assumptions very early into this book.

However, while part of my assumptions were correct, this book was so much more. It wasn’t about winning
Mary Thomas
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for my copy.

Heather is a mother of three girls and a depressed husband who is unable to work because of an industrial accident. They are struggling to make ends meet when Heather discovers she is pregnant. In desperation she turns to a private adoption agency.

Grace is a high flyer who is devastated by the death of her father. This leads Grace to make a serious assessment of her life which leads to drastic changes.

This is a powerful story of love and heartbreak. I read this bo
elizabeth dawson
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heart wrenching but beautifully written

Another fantastic Kate Hewitt book. Having only recently lost my father but also been with my mum and sister as they fought cancer bravely and as they lost that battle, this story hit many personal notes for me. Being left single and childless like the character of Grace it was maybe a little too close for comfort at times but I became almost invested in the characters I needed to keep reading. The ending was very different to that I expected which only ser
Ellen
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book "A Mother's Choice" from NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own.
I cannot believe how much this book touched me. It got to one point where I had to stop reading because my chest hurt so bad from emotion and the tears were flowing. Heather already has 3 children and then she finds out she is pregnant. The family is already struggling so she doesn't know what she is going to do. I really loved Grace, that is the part where I had to stop reading for a bit - when she fi
Kerry Croucier
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Make sure you grab a box of tissues and keep it close when you sit down to read this one. Two very different women are forever linked by their love for one baby and their lives are forever changed and tangled together. This is a deeply emotional story that will have you tearfully turning the pages.
The characters were developed wonderfully and the story line was handled with such finesse I was fully invested from the beginning. It also makes a mother think about how they would feel in similar cir
Julie Zimmett
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful tear jerker of a story.

This is a tear jerker, a beautifully written tear jerker. I will definitely be reading future novels by Kate Hewitt. Reminds me of the writing styles of Jodi Piccoult and Karen Kingsbury. I could not put this down. As a mother, and as someone with a family history of breast cancer, this story really resonates.
Shirley
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved every minute of reading a Mothers choice, it's such a heartbreaking read, the characters were so well developed, I really felt for Grace Heather and Issac, this is such a wonderful book, I highly recommend it.
Nancy Stover
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, very well written. Ugly crying the last couple of chapters.
Alison
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always enjoyed books by Kate Hewitt previously but A Mother’s Goodbye is on a whole other level. This story piques your interest on the cover blurb and once you have started reading it’s too late you are well and truly hooked.

It’s not a new situation, young family, living in a small apartment, no money to pay the bills and the hubby Kev has been injured at work so no income other than precarious disability benefits. So when Heather plucks up the courage to tell him she is pregnant he gives
Robin Loves Reading
When Heather discovers she is pregnant, she knows that she cannot keep the baby. Her husband has been out of work for years due to a back injury, they already have three girls, and their apartment is too small. Add to that their financial worries, and it becomes clear why they make the decision to give the baby up for adoption – to give it a better future than they feel they can offer. The decision doesn’t come easy. As a matter of fact, it is an agonizing one.

Grace can’t believe that Heather h
Susan Angela Wallace
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A mother's choice by Kate Hewitt.
Heather has just found out she is pregnant. what will she do? they can't afford it plus the house isn't big enough for another baby. plus her Husband kev is out of work because of an accident. they already have 2 girls. she has a decision to make.
Grace is looking to adopt a baby. will it be Heather’s or will she change her mind?
a very moving read. I really felt for Heather. I just Couldn't put it down. loved the story and the characters. this was very well wri
Joyce Stewart Reviews
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Mothers Goodbye
Kate Hewit
5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is my first book by this author and boy was incredible! It was so heartbreaking and yet touching. A real tear jerker and had many, many unexpected twists. I cried so much reading this story.This book really grabbed me from page one and did not let go!Its told from the point of view of both Heather and Grace....( the birth mother and adoptive mother). You see into the thoughts and feelings of both mothers.... which both of their pain makes you cry. I read it
Joanne Drozdowski
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If there were ever a book you have to read, let it be this one. There are no villains or murders. It’s just a sad story about adoption and two women whose lives intertwine. One woman with a family and a mediocre life and another woman who has it all but the family she always dreamed of. The story is phenomenal with a twist you would never imagine. I cried and cried and cried. I just don’t have enough adjectives to describe how great this story is. This was my first book by this author and I plan ...more
Marianne
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an emotional and powerful piece of writing which is told through the viewpoint of two women, Heather and Grace. On the surface they both appear to be complete opposites but they both share a deep love for a child and a need to be a mother. Protective and nurturing, they have difficult choices to make. There are some heart-rending episodes, made all the more affecting because you have become so invested in both these women and care what happens to them.

Both women are well drawn characte
Kim
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
This book takes a real rollercoaster ride through your emotions. It deals with an adoption and how hard that is for both mothers. It gives you several things to think about and appreciate how hard this must be for all parties. Your heart breaks for Heather who is finding life a real financial struggle when she discovers she's expecting another baby. She decides to go down the adoption route and we meet Grace who is a high flying exec. I wasn't sure I'd have picked Grace if I'd been looking for a ...more
Carol
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wish I could rate it higher than 5 stars. This is the best book I've read in some time. I'll be looking for others by this author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Pure Heart: A Spirited Tale of Grace, Grit, and Whiskey
  • The Second Cup (The Butterfly Effect, #1)
  • The Dream You Make
  • Out from the Underworld
  • Something Found
  • Widow, Virgin, Whore
  • I'm Trying Here: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and Misadventure
  • Ain't No Sunshine
  • This Twentysomething Life: A sort-of prequel to This Thirtysomething Life
  • The Girl in the Italian Bakery
  • Last Wish (Remembering Kyle, #2)
  • One September Morning
  • Desperate Measures
  • Kit and Kitty in Love
  • Innocent Spouse: A Memoir
  • Secrets Between Us
  • Life, Inc.
  • The Ghosts of the Orphanage
Kate is the USA Today-bsetselling author of many books of women's fiction. Her latest releases are A Vicarage Homecoming and Not My Daughter. Under the name Katharine Swartz, she is the author of the Tales from Goswell books, a series of time-slip novels set in the village of Goswell.

She likes to read women's fiction, mystery and thrillers, as well as historical novels. She particularly enjoys re
“Children are, by their very nature, selfish, and they’re allowed to be. Sacrifice and self-restraint take time to develop and grow.” 0 likes
“I saw him, but now it’s shattered completely and there will be no putting it together again. I can live with that. I won’t have to for long.” 0 likes