Start by marking “Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning” as Want to Read:
Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning

Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,175 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Jay Chiat, founder of the prestigious Chiat/Day advertising agency (which created campaigns for the Energizer Bunny and Fruitopia) called it "The best new-business tool ever invented." A newly defined discipline that combines aspects of four traditionally separate areas of advertising and marketing, account planning is one of the hottest topics in advertising today. This b ...more
Published March 13th 1998 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Truth, Lies, and Advertising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truth, Lies, and Advertising

Amanda
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
There are about a billions books like this, but each one that makes it on a respectable list usually has a nugget or two. There were a couple gems in here that had me pausing and starting out the window, thinking about my job. That's enough.
Meredith Maltby
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advertising-biz
Necessary reading for planners
Kevin Grubb
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
No one cares about your brand.

I think that's the key message from this book, a message that anyone who sells (directly or otherwise) things for a living needs to bear in mind. Most of your customers don't care about your ads or your product's glorious features. Most of them merely have needs or desires they wish to satisfy, but this doesn't stop companies from feeling that their product or service is somehow "special." The key message is that your customers aren't loyal to you by default; in ad
Bucket
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Steel takes a very tongue-in-cheek approach to describing account planning and its role in advertising. He makes the case for account planning - basically it's important role in executing and distilling the right type of research into key goals, audience details, and messages that can inform and spark creative work.

As I read Steel's book, I looked at it more through a branding lens than an advertising lens since that has more relevance for me. I found his ideas very familiar from the other resea
Gayatri Sriram
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
There's a lot to be learnt in the 250 or so pages of this book, but there is much more to be "un-learnt" as well. I don't know about the rest of the world, but Indians definitely take advertising way too seriously. "Learnings" of one campaign are unabashedly applied to every other clients brief, and case studies become biblical sources of guaranteed success. Much of it, as a result, is predictable. We may be avoiding a lot of heartache later on because of all these self imposed "rules", but we'r ...more
Kunal
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Largely, this book gave a glimpse into the work which goes into understanding the persona and psyche of the target group. Once this foundation is built , it takes seconds to come up with creative ideas. This book is about the part of iceberg we dont get to see.

Key takeaways:
1] Identify the emotions/reactions which are naturally associated with a product. Then use that. No need to re-invent the wheel. [Cuervo Case Study]

2]Giving a glimpse into what will happen if the product ceased to exist alt
Jenny
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great foundational book for Account Planning. Jon Steel incorporates a lot of meaningful insights and examples from his past experience. I think this book goes beyond being useful to planners; it also illustrates what an ad agency should be like in order to build successful campaigns and ultimately, client relationships. Even though much has changed in advertising since the book's 1998 publication date, its content is still relevant and applicable to today's advertising strategies. Def ...more
Rara Rizal
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Stumbled upon this book while I was preparing for an interview for a job I know nothing about, in an industry I am completely unfamiliar with. Gave me a pretty good basic idea about what the job I was interviewing for was about. For its helicopter-view approach of the process of creating an ad, it might as well be titled "Anatomy of an Ad". All in all, I went from knowing nothing about advertising to maybe a little more than nothing.
Gopal
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
For all the account planning thing this book is extolled, it's the ad campaigns which drew me in. Campaign case histories namely Polaroid, Foster Farms & Got Milk will make you run to the author & give him a hug. Barring the high degree of dismissiveness with which he regards the discipline of market research, the book is a must read for all advertising & marketing enthusiasts.
Janice
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to account planning, giving you the history behind why the profession was established. Conversational, tactile knowledge. Pay attention to how the creative brief was born and how it has evolved today in agencies striving to disrupt the silos.
Jazreen
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a recommended book for anybody who wants to know about how ads are made from ideas or insights.

A good book to start with if you are an advertising student, or planning to work in the industry.
Isaiah Fapuro
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book (and I still want to be a planner, which I suppose is good for me!) My main take away is asking the right questions, and not being afraid to challenge existing ideas, which is my main issue at the moment.
Holly
May 19, 2007 is currently reading it
"...being out of it has two main advantages. It allows me to see things that may be so familiar to a native that they have become invisible. It also allows others to see me as someone who needs to be educated."
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book that gives you an overhead look at Account Planning, the process of creating a creative brief, and the process that went into creating a few really great ad campaigns. Definitely recommended - this is a classic anyone in advertising or marketing should read.
Reema
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a classic if you're looking into planning, like I am. However, there are many dated examples and I would recommend only reading up to Chapter 5 as the rest of the book is case examples. It's best to take away big picture points.
ryan
May 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
people always ask me what I do. they should read this book. its interesting and goes beyond just the advertising world. 4 or 5 case studies including the planning behind the got milk campaign. Jon Steel's a bad ass.
Sean
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a door that has opened to give you a glimpse into the creative minds that are the world's best planners. Planning isn't just research, it's the creative use, interpretation, and gathering of that research. Now I only wish there was a detailed outline of how he goes from point A to B!
Luis Garrido
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ideas for advertising and account planning that were at least 10 if not 20 years ahead of their time. Literally. Brilliantly and entertainingly written, this book provides smart ideas for how to understand and connect with consumers in a meaningful, emotional, and empathetic way.
Alex Devero
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: marketing
An account planner helps develop great advertising by working to understand the consumer’s needs and communicating those to the agency’s creative team as well as the client. This important role is all about creating a meaningful message and a human connection.
Joey Rath
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As others said, great introductory book to the world of account planning. I enjoyed reading this when I transitioned to a new job in account planning. It gave me new perspectives and considerations which helped me establish and understand in my role within the agency.
Suhan Ciurlizza urteaga
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gus Khaldi
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think I read every chapter in this book 3-4 times! Old but Gold! Anyone in advertising should read this... the "got milk?" case study at the end was the icing on the cake!
Lam Tran
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for not only ads planners, but creatives and account as well.
Tulio Silva
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very close understanding about advertising.
Oana
Jun 15, 2010 added it
revealing
Nick Tillman
Jul 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Great way to get some background in the way account planning works. Very useful for anyone who needs to do any sort of consumer research.
Linda Watson
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This chronicles the early days of account planning - not that long ago! informative and enjoyable read.
Chip Miller
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Possibly still the best Account Planning handbook in the ad business. This book will benefit anyone working with creative/artistic/content-providers.
Ankita
Jan 08, 2013 added it
eye opener...for planners...
Martin Bihl
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • Creative Advertising: Ideas and Techniques from the World's Best Campaigns
  • Hegarty on Advertising
  • The Brand Gap
  • Advertising: Concept and Copy
  • Lovemarks
  • Bill Bernbach's Book: A History of Advertising That Changed the History of Advertising
  • Sorry for the lobsters
  • Where the Suckers Moon: The Life and Death of an Advertising Campaign
  • How Brands Become Icons: The Principles of Cultural Branding
  • Hoopla
  • Confessions of an Advertising Man
  • The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes
  • The Advertising Concept Book
  • How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don't Know
“A planner representing consumer opinions in the absence of an insightful client and talented creative people is unlikely to make any advertising any better.” 0 likes