Start by marking “Misty (Wildflowers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Misty (Wildflowers, #1)

Misty

(Wildflowers #1)

The many millions of V.C. Andrews fans, and particularly the younger readers among them, will thrill to the first in a new, four-book series on the struggles and secrets of children of divorce. Misty is the tale of a young girl facing the trials of her devious, divorced parents and the terrors of a deeply-held secret. When she meets three other girls in therapy, also child ...more
Published December 31st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Misty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misty

Lexy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book once before but I forget what happened so I read it again and it was better than the first time I read it I feel sorry for what this girl had to go through.
✌ Ashley ☠
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: part-of-a-series, ya
Misty came off a tad too whiny for my taste. I don't think her story was all that unique given the divorce rate these days. The only part of this story that was interesting was when she ran away with Lloyd, but that only lasted half a chapter.
Kelly Gunderman
Check out this, other reviews, and more fun bookish things on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

My mom has always had a ton of books by V.C. Andrews in her bookshelf, and to be honest, I think the only one I ever read was Flowers in the Attic. I read that when I was probably like 13 or so, and I loved it, but for whatever reason never really looked to read any of her others.

I recently helped my mom clean out her bookshelf to look for Flowers in the Attic, as well as the rest of t
Misty
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even as a 31 year old women, I can still remember the feelings I encountered after my parents divorced. They were very similar to Misty's story. I am looking forward to reading the others' stories.
Rebecca McNutt
...Wait a minute... Andrews died in 1986. This book was first published in 1999... somehow I have the sneaking suspicion that she didn't write this, but nonetheless:

Misty wasn't bad. It has its moments where true friendship between the characters is displayed, and the story is one that many young adult readers can relate to. However, this book was often just too strange at times, and it was a very predictable story.
Emily
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
The language used bothered me a little bit. Misty kept referring to her parents as 'Mommy' and 'Daddy' which wouldn't bother me if she was a five year old or if she didn't hate her parents, but she's a teenager and she hates them; it just didn't fit.
Cassie Kelley
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
‘Misty’ is the beginning of a series that I read many years ago. Despite the time, I recall enjoying the series and can remember bits and pieces of it. I do remember that there is a darkness about all of the stories, but it’s realistic and, to some point, relateable.

The look into Misty’s life is a good launching point for the rest of the series. The before and after is different, but it is a slope between them, not a clear dividing point as often is the case in real life. This peek into the lif
Ashley
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book as a very small child due to the wantoness of a play aunt who gave it to me as a gift. I remembered it being scandalous, full of sex, and drama, but as an adult this book really speaks volumes to me; as much as a book about a whiny teen’s battle with their place in the world after a divorce can do. I recently had parents go through a divorce and this book is one that is ripped right from my life. I really suggest anyone who has been through a later in teen life or yo ...more
Hannah Benson
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It was different the way the author made one whole day into a book. I haven't read a novel that did that before, so it was a good experience for me. Although it was a short book, it was a good read.
Jasmine Necaise
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Misty was a good and realistic start to this series. Although the style was not what i was expecting it was still good overall. it was not the best work of the ghost writer but it worked well enough.
Melanie
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
Not a bad start to the short series.
Nessa
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this series many years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.
Lugosifan
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
Keshia
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a Christmas gift to me (along with the rest in the series). I did not expect them to be good, because they seemed like the kind of cheesy overdramatic books that I always tried to get myself into but I couldn’t. But honestly, it was good, not great, but good.

I like the concept of it, instead it just being the story of a girl whose parents going through a divorce, it's a girl who sharing the story of the divorce with three other girls who will eventually share their own story. It r
Jessica Dillon
I read this series as a young teen many years ago and I remembered really enjoying them. So when looking through my bookshelf tonight to find something to read, I decided to re-read them and I am very glad I did. This 150 page quick read was exactly what I wanted to read. I was actually surprised at the issues the book dealt with like divorce, virginity etc and Misty was a great character to read about. Her parents both sound awful and although she does come across as a bit wingey, at least she ...more
Sonja
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Misty is de dochter van welgestelde ouders die gescheiden zijn en hun dochter gebruiken als middel om elkaar dwars te zitten. Zo schaft de moeder van Misty overbodige luxe artikelen aan, enkel om de rekening door de vader te laten betalen. Het belangrijkste in het leven van haar ouders is het uiterlijk: ze doen hun uiterste best om er jong uit te zien. Als Misty bevriend raakt met een jongen uit een ander milieu, raakt ze zijdelings betrokken bij een overval. Ze wordt veroordeeld om in therapie ...more
Sue Lauzon
Book one (of 4) of the Wildflower miniseries from V.C. Andrews (book five is a regular length novel). The series tells us the story of four teenage girls (Misty, Star, Jade and Cat) whose parents are going through divorce and how it effects each girl. Book one is of Misty's story and it was an okay read. At times I wanted to smack her parents up side the head and yell "what the hell are you thinking". The same held true for the main character Misty but I could see why she did some of the things ...more
✧ Kimberly ✧
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
VC Andrews has always been a favorite of mine since my childhood days. I have read (and re-read) all of her books, and although I am much older now and find that some of her work is better than others, I still enjoy the twists and turns, strangeness and mystery that continues to captivate my interest.
With that being said - it might also explain why I find the ghostwriter's quality of work lacking and less memorable than Andrews true writing, especially with the newer, more modern series.

If your
Lace
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Although I had read and enjoyed some books by V. C. Andrews when I was younger, I had never stumbled upon this series. Honestly, though, I wasn't all that impressed with this book. It mostly consists of a teenage girl sitting in her therapist's home telling the story of her parents' divorce to three other girls who have seemingly gone through similar situations. While it may be a helpful read for those whose parents are going through or have gone through a divorce, the storyline itself seemed pr ...more
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
As a novel on its own for teenage readers, it was a decent read. Back then I still got excited every time a new VCA book came out. I was a bit disappointed that Neiderman hadn't gone back to a full series after finishing this one, but by gum, I still got excited!

However now ten years later, I'm no longer excited. Compared to the crud that Mr. Neiderman is now writing under VCA's name (Gemini, Shadows, Flower, Attic, Delia, Heavenstone series) Misty is definitely a better read in its own right. H
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Nov 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
When I read these novels back in the day I would have given them 3-3.5 STARS and now would say about one Star

I started reading VC Andrews books in the 1991 and stopped about 2003.

I have read:
-Hudson Series
-Shooting Stars Series
-DeBeers Series
-Broken Wings Series

As a preteen reading these novels was a rebellion and the gothic theme also seemed cool. I stopped reading this author because
Mal
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I really liked this one. It was a good way to start the series and pulled me in quickly. I think from reading tons and tons of fantasy to reading something like this was a real change, not that I didnt like it, I mean... change is good. Anyway, these are terriable stories that are can connect to us truly. I feel for her, not that my parents have marriage problems or anything, V.C.Andrews is just a very powerful writer in my opinon. And I really, truly, liked this book :)
Emily
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: v-c-andrews
I don't really like these mini-series that the ghost writer put out in between the big series, but I read them anyway. Each teenage girl is dealing with something that can only happen in a V.C. Andrews novel because stuff that happens to these girls doesn't happen in real life. I guess that is why they are interesting, but no where near like the typical five book series that will always be my favorite.
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Misty is book one in the Wildflowers series by VC Andrews. This series is about group therapy for four teenage girls, who call themselves OWP's Orphans with Parents. Each book focuses on the tragic story of their lives. The first book is about Misty's life with her neglectful, self absorbed parents. I've read this series before, but wanted to reacquaint myself with VC Andrews and thought this series would be a good start. I enjoyed it much more 14 years ago, but it's still a good read.
Ashley
This was my first encounter with V.C. Andrews work, not "Flowers in the Attic". I later found out that this wasn't even actually V.C but rather a ghost writer. I have seen read another of these "4 small books, one group book" series and to be honest, I can't tell you which is which. I recall simply zipping through all four small books in a night and then the larger one the next but nothing sticks out after 10 years. I liked them enough to keep reading but that was about the extent of it.
Anna
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The books in this series were perfect for me at the time I first read them, being thirteen I felt like I had a bond with Misty, Star, Jade(Well not so much Jade as the others), and Cathy. Coming from a family that was every bit as messed up as all of theirs combined I really understood where they were coming from as they told their stories.
Melody
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
I read this book a long time ago, and to be honest, I don't remember much about it, so I can't really give a detailed review. The only thing I do remember was that I was a little disappointed in it. I had read many of the VC Andrews books before this book and I thought this one lacked something. I never finished this series.
Gabe A
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
A quick read and a pretty good story. I was expecting a bit more, but no. I liked it, but not raving about it. I now HAVE to read the other 4 books because I started this one. I think the ghost writer the vc Andrews estate chose could have done a better job... Vc would have added much more intriguing twists & turns.
Leslie Edwards
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I remember sneaking these books from my moms book collection when I was 11 or 12. The storyline to all the ones that I have read were pretty terrible but I couldn't stop my 12 year old self from reading them! I can't say I do not like these books because I use to love them! I think I may read one at 26 and see how I feel about them.
Zara Shepherd
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting take on girls talking bout their family lives through therapy. However, one problem I have is the way the describe things, which I doubt is how could describe things out loud off the top of their head. Despite that, it was a nice little book to read.
  • Comfort from a Country Quilt: Finding New Inspiration and Strength in Old-Fashioned Values
  • V.C. Andrews: Her Life and Books
  • Blood Roots
  • Tom Dick And Debbie Harry
  • Babyface
  • The Stepsister 2 (Fear Street, #33)
  • The Grave
  • Homecoming at Hickory Ridge (Hickory Ridge, #5)
  • Epilogue (Escape from Furnace, #5.5)
  • Hunter
  • Time For Eternity (Da Vinci Time Travel, #2)
  • Dakota! (Wagons West, #11)
  • Burning Bed: The True Story of an Abused Wife
  • Welcome to Fred (The Fred Books, #1)
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (Dog Walker Mysteries, #5)
  • Lehrer verhexen? Kein Problem! (No Jungs! Zutritt nur für Hexen, #4)
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man

Wildflowers (5 books)
  • Star (Wildflowers, #2)
  • Jade (Wildflowers, #3)
  • Cat (Wildflowers, #4)
  • Into the Garden (Wildflowers, #5)
“It's funny how when you're little, you miss all the little lies. They float right past you, but you don't wonder about them much. For a long time, you think this is just something adults still do after being kids - pretend. Then one day you wake up and realize most of the world you're in is built on someone's make-believe.” 39 likes