Start by marking “Dawn (Cutler, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dawn (Cutler, #1)

Dawn

(Cutler #1)

In her fine new Virginia school, Dawn Longchamp feels happy and safe. But nothing is what it seems...
Now Dawn and her older brother Jimmy have a chance for a decent, respectable life, and Dawn's secret, precious hope to study singing can come true. Philip Cutler, the handsomest boy in school, sets Dawn's heart on fire. She is deeply devoted to her brooding brother; but w
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published 1998 by Pocket Books (first published November 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Dawn, please sign up.
Jennifer Maloney Try your local library. It probably has an Overdrive connection, which you just need to connect to with your library card, then you can download Kindl…moreTry your local library. It probably has an Overdrive connection, which you just need to connect to with your library card, then you can download Kindle books for 3 week checkout times.(less)

Start your review of Dawn (Cutler, #1)
Mizuki
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pretty-good
I noticed V. C. Andrews' books seem to all follow the same pattern: rags to riches storyline, woman on woman hating, incest, beautiful main characters, a grand manor or two, wicked older women (usually a grandmother), Queen Bitch mean girls, school dramas and boy dramas.

So basically, reading Dawn is pretty much like reading Dark Angel and Flowers in the Attic all over again.

Argh, why am I still coming back for more?

And why must the heroine keep suffering and suffering and suffering throughout th
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I missed out on V.C. Andrews as a teen, so I'm accumulating as many of them as I can now. You know, for science. So far, I've mostly been reading the ones that were originally written by V.C. herself and not her ghostwriter, Andrew Neiderman. The Dollanganger series was excellent and so was her one standalone book, MY SWEET AUDRINA. HIDDEN JEWEL was a Neiderman effort, but I thought that one was reasonably okay, even if it lacked that sp
Tahera
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Basically my eldest sister owned a copy of this book and I managed to sneak it out of her possession and read it when I was around 14-15 years old. I am not sure how I will like this book now but back then I quite enjoyed it. The plot had everything to get me interested but never did get around to reading the entire series though.
Jess
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Middle schoolers
I keep wondering why in the world V.C. Andrews books are so popular, and I keep wondering why I buy them at garage sales, and then I finish one and realize they are such campy trash and I love them.

"Dawn" is no exception. Even though this was one of the books ghostwritten after Andrews' death, it follows the same basic elements of any classic Andrews novel: Innocent fair-haired protagonist, rags to riches story, incredibly talented and attractive youths, evil old woman, and a whole lotta incest.
Shannon
May 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
This whole series could be great. It has all the elements: mystery, deceit, betrayal. Unfortunately, it was written by Andrew Neiderman, the person Andrews' family chose to continue her legacy. Why they chose a man, particularly this man, is beyond me. The writing is terrible. The dialog is unbelievable and idiotic and makes all the characters (especially Dawn) appear incredibly stupid. Just very bad.
Camille
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, own
This book is in my favorites section and I feel the need to explain... it's more for sentimental value not actually the greatness of the writing.

In 7th grade while all my friends were into the Sweet Valley High books, I was devouring the world of V.C. Andrews. It’s something about the lonely, outcast, but talented orphan, finding her "real" family which happens to ridiculously rich. Of course her real family treats her horribly because of the "secret scandal" which expunged her from the family i
Megs ♥
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, z-2011-reads
This was my favorite book when I was 15. I remember a friend giving me this book, and how our parents let us read it honestly having no clue of the content. My friend and I would sit on the phone for hours laughing at the authors use of the word "hardness"..Yes we were that mature!

Recently I reread it and sadly the book didn't stand the test of time. I can reread Flowers in The Attic over and over again, but somehow I just can't read 90% of the books done by Andrews' ghost writer.

As far as Dawn
Bark
Jan 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, horror
Rebecca McNutt
Dawn is just another Flowers in the Attic, using too-close-for-comfort brother/sister relationships as perverse shock value which, after reading a number of VC Andrews' books, gets really repetitive and annoying. Her books always have a prissy rich family full of dysfunction, and some sort of weird possible incest...
description
Jenna
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
OMG THIS SERIES!
Honestly if you love the drama and gossip this series is for you. I read this series when I was 14 and boy did it change my views on a lot of things. I don't even know what to rate this book to be honest because I read them so long ago. The plot goes way past anything you would imagine, full of secrets, betrayals, deaths, illness, incest, poor, rich, love, rape, torture, pregnancy, business, friends LITERALLY EVERYTHING GUYS, THIS SERIES HAS GOT IT. This series really kept me spi
Neva
Nov 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People with serious problems
Dawn is probably the worst book VC Andrews never wrote. It's the story of an impoverished vagabond who lives in Virginia with her parents and brother and sister. Her father gets a job as a janitor at a fancy private school, and Dawn and her brother Jimmy can go for free. Surprise, surprise, it's full of snobs and they hate Dawn and her brother. Everyone except a totally hot dude! I never realized while reading this in middle school how fast Dawn's romance with Philip progresses - they eat peanut ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
After VC Andrews died, it was left to Andrew Neiderman to finish the four books she had started but did not finish. After he did so, he wrote this book. It is supposed to have been based off notes and outlines left by VC before her untimely death. I know that some people were unhappy with Neiderman for this book and series, but I feel that the Cutler series reflected Neiderman's best efforts. It's clear that he put a lot of effort into this series as compared to his later works... which consist ...more
Joshua
I usually enjoy Andrew Neiderman VC Andrews, and this was no different: I flipped through this in a day and it was fun.

I know 1 star is harsh, but it was so obvious he wasn't even trying. There wasn't enough fucked-up-shit for it to be amusing, and it was so cliched and juvenile that it felt like Sweet Valley High without all the craziness that makes VC Andrews interesting.

I'll be completely honest, from what I've read, Andrew Neiderman is a competent writer. He's no literary genius, but I can
I don't know why I ever try to read serious books. It should be all V.C. Andrews, all the time. It's like watching an episode of Maury Povich or Jerry Springer, only better because you're reading it and improving your mind at the same time!

Dawn is exactly like Heaven (from V.C. Andrews' Casteel series) except she's blonde instead of brunette and lives in Richmond, Virginia instead of the West Virginia mountains. Everything else the same -- dirt-poor upbringing, secret wealthy parents, mean girls
Dawn Campbell
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My sister had a box of books in her closet and the only reason I picked this up is because my name was the title! Little did I know what I was about to get myself into! All of V.C. Andrews' books (be it the ones she wrote or the ghost writers after her) are quite interesting. As soon as I finished this book, I was hooked on all her others. I've fallen off the wagon the past year or two, but I hope to catch up to them all.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Dawn was an excellent book when I was younger - now not so much. I will always remember that I kept reading the beginning of the book, enchanted by how Andrews wrote. She was a likeable character pushed into some strange situations, classic Andrews.
Jamie
Nov 14, 2008 rated it liked it
I think in my pre-teen years I read all the VC Andrews books with my best-friend Trish at my side. love you trish!
Circa Girl
Apr 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: what-a-mess, gothic
Mistakes were made. So very.. many.. mistakes.

It's nigh impossible to come out of the darkly ironic, epic family saga of the Casteels or the Dollangangers and find soulless, vacuous Dawn sufficient. Neiderman's personal work in the horror genre is actually very creative and sick, but for whatever reason his ghostwriting notes only absorbed that VC Andrews put attractive, talented young girls through melodramatic, familial hell. What he failed to pick up on was that the real horror of those seri
Mell
Another book I found in an old pile from high school. Ugh, I can't believe adults let me read these. While I don't remember VC Andrews books as graphic, they were full of incestuous brother-sister relationships.

Why did anyone read these? And there are about a million different VC Andrews series. Sadly, I owned several. In hardback. They might have been gifts! I packed them off to Goodwill, as I can't toss (or burn, ha) even bad, bad books.
Sarah Marie
I love this book!
Dawn was an amazing book. The characters were either likeable and unlikeable. This book was something that V.C. Andrews would write. I loved this book and I can't wait to read the rest of the Cutler series.
Yusra
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, thriller

I do not recommend this series unless you enjoy soap operas and you’re most recent favourite show just got cancelled, and maybe then you will find this to your liking.
Zonah
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
reading this book made me feel mature and i tried imagining myself into the situations...that was a great deal...hats off to V.C.Andrews...and especially to Dawn..!!
Brittany
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
V.C Andrews never disappoints.
Maaike
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman-or-novel
Stars: 2.5
Debbie
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a reread for me and even though I enjoyed it , it was nothing like the first time I picked this book up with all the twists and turns.
Redfox5
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-saga, fiction, usa
A re-read of an old favourite. I’ve read this a bunch of times. This was the series that took me from kids to adult books. I first read this when I was about 12, I had never read anything so shocking! I’m sure its quite tame by today's standards.

This is a great start to a family saga which spawns 5 books Dawn is ripped from what she thought was her real family after she learns she was kidnapped as a baby. Her real family don't seem all that pleased to see her and its awkward as she had been dat
Mkittysamom
All I could think throughout the whole story was.. could Dawn possibly endure anymore.. literally every tragedy imaginable happens to her.. and then her situation does a 360.. what a twist and not a good one either I was like NOOOOO how could you do that to her how unfair! I have never been more mad at a writer in my life,so that means I was emotionally invested and this one definately wore me out.. needed a break after all that drama, suspense and just awful sh*t Dawn goes through.

(view spoile
Iolanda
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fucked-up
3.5 STARS

Well, this was no Flowers In The Attic and certainly didn't impact me much like FITA did but it was still enjoyable. This is a solid effort from the Ghostwriter--the plot intrigued me and I was desperate to get my hands on this, so when I finally got around to reading it, I was impressed, until I started to notice that the GW stole some of the writing from FITA, it angered me, it made me think bitterly about him again. His lack of creativity and use of plagiarism disgusting me. But t
Dylan
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To be honest VC Andrews is an AWESOME book writer! She keeps her books interesting. She doesn’t really have a type of book she writes. Her books make you feel happiness, sadness, anger whenever she wants to make you feel that way. The way VC Andrews writes her books is making sure you can relate and sympathize with the main characters. Her books at times can be on the verge of being a little scary and keeping you reading on your toes, or can make you feel excited and satisfied by the way the sto ...more
Crazy_smiler
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I didn't like how it was a repeat of many things from other V. C. Andrews books but it kept me interested and hard to stop reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Another World: Discussion Questions (May contain slight spoilers) 1 4 Feb 04, 2014 06:59PM

• The God Project
  • Remember Me (Remember Me, #1-3)
  • The Hitchhiker
  • Revolting Youth: The Further Journals of Nick Twisp
  • Banana Bottom
  • Zulu Wedding
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Beauty Queen
  • The Twilight Saga - New Moon Songbook: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack
  • Black Butterflies
  • U.S.S.A., Book 1 (U. S. S. A.)
  • Do Not Bring Your Dragon to Recess
  • Satan's Harvest (Ed & Lorraine Warren #6)
  • Mi tramposa favorita
  • The Year of the Intern
  • MUTACION
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man who

Cutler (5 books)