Start by marking “Brooke (Orphans, #3)” as Want to Read:
Brooke (Orphans, #3)

Brooke

(Orphans #3)

All she wanted was a mother's warm embrace.... Brooke was an orphan, abandoned long ago by a mother she barely knew. And though her new family seemed to offer the promise of a new beginning, a dark voice in her heart told her that she was now more alone than ever...
Published August 1st 1998 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Brooke, please sign up.
Dara Papp Both! Each book focuses on one girl, but they all end up meeting each other at the end of their story. The 5th book, Runaways, includes all four…moreBoth! Each book focuses on one girl, but they all end up meeting each other at the end of their story. The 5th book, Runaways, includes all four girls.(less)

Emm - Stories for Ghouls
Have you ever read something and the whole time was mourning the potential it didn't reach? Brooke is one of those books.

Maybe if it had tried to be more of a realistic family drama than a thriller, it would've been better. The main character I like - she has an acute awareness of how ridiculous the situation and her stepmother are, and I appreciate that she keeps that rather than gives in to Pamela's obsession. Pamela is okay at first, but after a few chapters is an intolerable character.

I enj
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This was in a word: dysfunctional and fucked up.

And, yes, I enjoyed it. V.C Andrews is my ultimate guilty pleasure at the moment. :D

Also the first book where I encountered a "Krystle" (okay it's spelled Crystal, but still).

YAY!
Jess
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: If you like pulp fiction books
I gave this short novel, the third in Andrews' "Orphans" mini-series, 4 stars rather than my customary Andrews 3 because it had some of the most over-the-top, crazy, offensive moments that made me laugh out loud, and it all focused around this darling character who was constantly wondering, "Why the hell am I in this stupid book?"

Brooke is thirteen, has grown up in an orphanage, and is a talented athlete. She is adopted by the fabulously wealthy Thompsons, Pamela and Peter, and is enrolled in a
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
Like Butterfly and Crystal, Brooke is another girl hard on her luck. But this made-for-teens series is simply not VCA caliber - and no VCA fan should expect it to be so. However, most of us had to learn the hard way, by reading the book itself. It'd have been okay if this was written under a different name and not passed off as a VCA book.

I was hoping that Brooke's new dad would be the one to have mental issues, because Butterfly and Crystal's new moms were the ones with mental issues. But Brook
Sydneybranson
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brooke is one of five books in The Special Orphan Series. Brooke was written by V.C. Andrews. This novel is about a young girl named Brooke. Brooke is an intelligent, ambitious high school athlete with straw blonde hair. Brooke was abandoned as a baby by her a mother she never knew. She felt that being adopted by the Thompsons was her golden opportunity at a new life. This was her cloud nine with a silver lining but it changes to a storm cloud as she has to choose between living her life trying ...more
Rissy
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: v-c-andrews
Elusive
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Brooke’, young Brooke is adopted by Peter and Pamela who are incredibly rich and good-looking. Impressed by their opulent home and high-class lifestyle, her joy is short-lived when all too soon she realizes that Pamela is hell-bent on making sure she wins an upcoming beauty pageant. Can Brooke fulfil her high expectations?

Although I found Brooke to be quite boring as she lacked personality, I felt sorry for her due to how she was treated like a potential prize winner rather than a daughter.
✧ Kimberly ✧
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
VC Andrews has always been a favorite of mine since my childhood days. I have read (and re-read) all of her books, and although I am much older now and find that some of her work is better than others, I still enjoy the twists and turns, strangeness and mystery that continues to captivate my interest.
With that being said - it might also explain why I find the ghostwriter's quality of work lacking and less memorable than Andrews true writing, especially with the newer, more modern series.

If your
♥Xeni♥
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Brooke was the spoiled, sort of rich orphan. I truly didn't understand what she had to complain about until I realized how it would be if I was in that situation.

I thank V C Andrews for Brooke, since she is the one who's problems really do ride deeper under the surface. The other girls all were raped or abused physically, where as Brooke's scars run a more emotional / psychological course. This was a really great book to read.
Fyre.Katz
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finished it sometime around 2am last night! pretty good.
Tazzie Dee
Brooke couldn’t believe her luck when former model Pamela Thompson wanted to adopt her. Pamela and her husband Peter soon had Brooke living with them in their huge house, enrolled in a posh boarding school and preparing her for beauty pageants. Pamela wanted Brooke to be a model just like her. But Brooke hated everything beauty related. In fact, she was only happy when she played on the school’s softball team. And this is something that angered Pamela. Ooooh, this isn’t going to end good…..

This
Ela Ortega
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: orphans
So proud to Brooke she's independent. but the story is like the same they're not free to do anything they want.......
Cindy Torres
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have read Butterfly, Crystal and Brooke. I beleave that by the time I read the Third Novel I already new what was going to happen to Brooke. It is a given fact that all the girls are going to end up in the same place by the Fourth novel. So realy all the guess work in these books are gone. They all seem to have the same kind of story. New mother needs the Orphan to be just like her. Something goes wrong and they are sent to the same home. So read this book if you want a nice intresting story t ...more
Shelley
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Liz
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I noticed some differences in this book from Butterfly and Crystal...and most of the Gemini series. The characters in Butterfly, Crystal and Celeste from the Gemini series have no backbone and just take whatever delusional thoughts come from their parents mouths. Brooke, the main character in this novel, actually stands up for herself and has some lady-balls.
I just have to say that Brooke is different from the usual "just take it" mentality. It was refreshing to see that, because I haven't seen
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Nov 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
When I read these novels back in the day I would have given them 3-3.5 STARS and now would say about one Star

I started reading VC Andrews books in the 1991 and stopped about 2003.

I have read:
-Hudson Series
-Shooting Stars Series
-DeBeers Series
-Broken Wings Series

As a preteen reading these novels was a rebellion and the gothic theme also seemed cool. I stopped reading this author because
Michelle
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Sports are Brookes' thing. She loves them, excels at them. The Coach at her new private school is overjoyed that there is now a 'rich-kid' who can actually play ball for the school team. Brooke's adoptive mom is less that happy that she plays sports, living with the believe that sports build muscles that make you look manly. She wants Brooke to learn how to be a woman, to be a beauty queen, model and find a rich husband. She forces Brook to do photo shoots and enter pageants. Will Brooke do what ...more
Tyra
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brooke was happy to have a family, home, a life of her own, at last. But her foster mother really just wanted a smaller version of herself, and her foster father was just too involved with work, to help her out.
This along with all the others; I just enjoy reading V.C. Andrews's book. This was book 3 other the 4 orphans and I am just so excited to move closer to the book that being all the orphans together; Runaways!

Michele
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Quick read, I'm not used to such small books & I read it in a day. This book was better than I thought it would be. But, just not what the V.C. Andrews books where before the miniseries. It was good enough to peak my interest in the other 4 books in this miniseries though & especially in the novel Runaways which, the back of this book says, brings the girls from the miniseries books (they're all orphans) together.
Rebecca S. Waddell
Same basic story

You either like the format of V.C. Andrews or you don't. The formula is similar while the names and situations change. This is short and abruptly ends, like the previous books in the series. I hope they all time together in the last book, but I have to read Raven before I get there. One other comment: these books are over-priced. The set should be offered for $10-15.
Jackie
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Leslie Edwards
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I remember sneaking these books from my moms book collection when I was 11 or 12. The storyline to all the ones that I have read were pretty terrible but I couldn't stop my 12 year old self from reading them! I can't say I do not like these books because I use to love them! I think I may read one at 26 and see how I feel about them.
Patricia Atkinson
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
the story of brooke who gets selected by a wealthy couple.the mother use to be a model and is really in to her beauty she wants brooke to enter pagents teaches her how to perform but brooke is more interested in her sports and not being rich and going to a private school it has a real surpise ending.....
Emcwriter12 caltiere
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just finished crystal and i am now going to start brook. the third book in the mini orphan seris.i am currently still reading this book and it is getting really good. Ps i only read it n school so thats why im not done. it is 9:52 at night and i am so excited i finnally finished this book.
Emma Louise
Jan 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: bought
Again, I felt like every installment in the series was 70% introduction, 20% anything happening and 10% ending. I wish it had been longer because it felt like it was only just getting started.
Tiffany Bell
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I great story in a series about being pushed to ones limit and being strong enough to come back from the brink of insanity.
Joy
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
She ran out of clever ideas after the first two books. The plot was less than believable. Sure she didn't stick with the girl trying to appease the parents but the "new idea" was dull and senseless.
Matthew Williams
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Great story for an Orphan girl.
Lindsay Patton
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good.
Kaitlyn Rose
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it. very similar to the other books in this series with crazy foster mothers. I liked it though
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • Virus (Med Center, #1)
  • A Woman's Worth
  • Homecoming at Hickory Ridge (Hickory Ridge, #5)
  • Rotkäppchen muss weinen
  • Bury Me Deep
  • V.C. Andrews: Her Life and Books
  • Black Alice
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man

Orphans (5 books)
  • Butterfly (Orphans, #1)
  • Crystal (Orphans, #2)