Start by marking “Willow (De Beers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Willow (De Beers, #1)

Willow

(De Beers #1)

All that glitters isn't gold....

Wealth. Extravagant parties. Celebrity status. These are things Willow De Beers could only dream of until now. After discovering deep family secrets in her adoptive father's journal, Willow bids farewell to her North Carolina college town and sets out in search of her birth family amid the ritzy glamour of Palm Beach.

Using an assumed name

Published February 1st 2002 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2002)

Charli
Dec 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2007
It took me years, and I mean that literally to finish this book. V.C. Andrews is one of my absolute favorite authors. So the very fact that it took this long to finish this book was amazing. Usually I tear through her books like they were water. But alas, there were mitigating circumstances at work and I kept losing my place in this wonderful read.

Despite the fact that ghost writers have been writing V.C. Andrews' books for years (one would hope since she IS deceased) I haven't seen too much dev
Patricia
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
My favorite V.A. series. I think the Willow books are clever. Written with a psychological perspective.
Kim Smiley
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lamya
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing

And people still wonder why I keep reading VC Andrews's books!!
Basically they're like drug to me,they make me sick but I enjoy them anyway lol. Willow's story is unique, and it was full of unexpected things, I can't write down what the story is all about because it was just too much...I loved and lived the charterers. Linden was my favorite. It wasn't the best of bests but it was good and I enjoyed it.
Redfox5
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-saga, fiction, usa
I could remember almost nothing of this book so it was like reading it for the first time all over again. I must read more of my v.c Andrews collection more often. This book now goes to live with the rest. I can't wait to start re-reading the rest of the series.
Lia Rock lantz
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a good read although I did not care for the ending. I'm ready for the next one in the series.
Emily
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: v-c-andrews
This is a good beginning to a decent series. Andrews has a good plot in this one, since the later series seem to rely on previous plots....But a good read and good series.
Stephanie
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, memory-lane
Shay Hawthorne
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I actually liked this one. People warned me that it was predictable. It is but I think Neiderman knew fans already know all the usual twists and turns. So instead of dragging things out he just hands you all the plot surprises within the first hundred pages and lets the story take a ride. I'm going to guess your opinion of the book hinges on whether you enjoyed Willow's story and weren't hoping to be shocked by a shocking reveal.

The most disappointing part of this book was the letter from Annie.
Anne Marie
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is definitely another great VC Andrews book series. In this book, we meet Willow, the daughter of a recently deceased psychiatrist, who after reading his diary, goes to Palm Beach to try and meet her biological mother. She does get to meet her mother and half-brother after concocting a story that she is doing research on Palm Beach society for school. She also meets Thatcher, who lives with his parents on the property of her mother. They could almost be falling in love, until the truth of w ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Nov 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
When I read these novels back in the day I would have given them 3-3.5 STARS and now would say about one Star

I started reading VC Andrews books in the 1991 and stopped about 2003.

I have read:
-Hudson Series
-Shooting Stars Series
-DeBeers Series
-Broken Wings Series

As a preteen reading these novels was a rebellion and the gothic theme also seemed cool. I stopped reading this author because
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
After the lackluster Hudson series, I, as a longtime VCA fan, was excited to pick up this book when it was released on the shelves nearly ten years ago. but I was disappointed. The ghostwriter using VCA's name obviously wasn't trying as much as he had been before, and everyone was flat. The story was only mildly interesting, and there was none of the thrills and chills that came with reading a real VCA book, or one of Mr. Neiderman's earlier ghostwriter books (Cutler, Landry)

And I'm not sure why
Loraine
Similar story themes to previous Andrew's stories with a pshycological view. It was alright, an easy fast read. I hated Thatcher's character immediately and considering how Willow was disdainful towards Palm Beach people, and everything that had happened to her Mother, I was surprised that she would fall for his pathetic charms. I could see right throught him and could have written the plotline that continues on the second book of this series. Oh and surprise, surprise - the brother fancies his ...more
Kathryn
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
The first instalment in the DeBeers saga falls rather flat.

Willow DeBeers is a college student who has just discover that her adoptive father is also her biological father. She is the product of a liaison between her father and one of his psychiatric patients. And that's really about the most credible part of the book.

If the authors intention was to shock readers, he certainly succeeds through melodrama, flat characters and unbelievable situations.
Chantal Noordeloos
Jul 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
VC Andrews is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know they aren't the best of novels, but I can still enjoy them. This one I didn't enjoy at all. The characters were so flat and the story wasn't at all exciting. I was very disappointed, but then again I might just be getting too old for VC Andrews. It was something I really loved when I was a tween.
Dawn
Nov 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: V. C. Andrews Fans.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of V. C. Andrews books.
This is the first book in the Willow series. Good read, but not my favorite series by this author. Her first couple of series were the best. A ghost writer has been writing under her name since her death. They have kept the same topics that she wrote about(abuse,incest, etc.). I will probably keep reading these books, but I think it is time to let V. C. Andrews rest in peace.
Ever
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well I've expected a little more twist in the end but overall it is a great book and I actually was shocked when Linden kissed Willow. And the description in the back "drives her into her insanity" was not shown or implied here I kind of expected she was actually going mad. But anyways it's a great book again.
Mima
Jan 10, 2014 added it
Kind of predictable from what I read of other V.C. Andrews books. However, this one was interesting and did keep my attention. I just don't understand why Willow put herself in such a situation. Why don't these characters tell the truth straight up? Maybe then it would be such an suspenseful story.
Ren
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm too old for this junk now... Super unbelievable. I felt like I was watching a Soap Opera. Though I will say it did make me giddy to read a lot of Florida locations, since I was born and raised there.
Clotilde Martinez
Willow, the heroine of this saga, goes on a quest to Palm Springs find her biological mother after discovering that her late father had an affair with one of his mental patients. Along the way, Willow discovers the dark family secrets that might tear her apart.
Kristy
I'm not quite done with this one, but close enough. I just kinda muddled through it. I'm not sure I want to read the rest of them. I've got so many other books to read, I'd rather not waste my time.
Jackie
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Have become adicted to the easy read of V.C Andrews. Girl is child of psychiatrist and patient. Raised by docroe and his wife. Wife is mean to Willow. After parents die Willow finds her mother in Florida.
Hannah
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I do not feel one way or another about this book.

It started off way too slowly and I continued to put it down again and again. It picked up towards the middle and kept my attention until the end.

Certainly nothing special or anything specific I feel I need to express.
Jodie Angeline Lee
I really liked this series. I enjoy the books being set in more modern times for a change of pace.

The character of Willow is quite an interesting one and her story keeps you reading and wanting more.
Gabi
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I read the first book in the Debeers Series, "Willow" and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately my Library here did not have the rest of the series. BUT I did find the whole series on ebay for a great price and bought them. SOOO excited to start this series!
Bonnie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I always like V.C Andrews This one about Willow was a good red, did think that some of it could have been let out and the book would have been better, but over all it was a pretty good read.

I gave it a B or 3 stars.
Cindy
After the death of author V.C. Andrews, an unfinished manuscript was found by her family. They hired Andrew Neiderman to complete the manuscript and he went on to write many additional books under the V.C. Andrews pseudonym.
Marika Chunyk
I loved this book. I like how V.C Andrews can present family dynamics that are far beyond what people can imagine. Willow finds out her adoptive father is her real father, and then needs to search for her mother. The love affair between her parents was not accepted, but they did have love.
Amanda
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this story a second time around and can't wait to read/re-read the other books in this series. The characters are just so much fun and personable.
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Just the beginning of the story....onto book 2, Wicked Forest.
  • V.C. Andrews: Her Life and Books
  • Blood Roots
  • Dark Carnival (Serenity Falls, #3)
  • Subversive Beauty
  • Nina Todd Has Gone
  • Secret Life of a Scandalous Debutante
  • Because of You (Because of You, #1)
  • Journey
  • Love's Passion
  • The Half-Breed Vampire (Sons of Midnight #3)
  • Finding Me
  • The Cost of Living
  • With Lots of Love from Georgia
  • Cry for the Strangers
  • On The Road To Mr Right
  • Forever Claimed (The Claiming #3)
  • The Dead Room (Harrison Investigation, #4)
  • Murdered, My Sweet
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man

De Beers (5 books)
  • Wicked Forest (De Beers, #2)
  • Twisted Roots (De Beers, #3)
  • Into the Woods (De Beers, #4)
  • Hidden Leaves (De Beers, #5)