Start by marking “La desaparición de Stephanie Mailer” as Want to Read:
La desaparición de Stephanie Mailer

La desaparición de Stephanie Mailer

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  7,577 ratings  ·  1,044 reviews
La noche del 30 de julio de 1994 la apacible población de Orphea, en los Hamptons, asiste a la gran apertura del festival de teatro. Pero el alcalde se retrasa... Mientras tanto, Samuel Paladin recorre las calles vacías buscando a su mujer, hasta hallar su cadáver ante la casa del alcalde. Dentro, toda la familia ha sido asesinada.

Jesse Rosenberg y Derek Scott son los dos
Published June 21st 2018 by Alfaguara (first published March 7th 2018)

·  7,577 ratings  ·  1,044 reviews

Annet
English review & book description! New book of Joel Dicker and I love his stories. It is weird, I've seen this book in German, French, Dutch and other languages but not in English. So, here's the outline: Title: the disappearance of Stephanie Mailer. Orphea is a quiet seatown in the Hamptons, a few hours drive from New York. A small and quiet town, not much happening, until on 30 July 1994 an aweful event happens: the killing of the mayor and his family in his home, as well as a jogging woma ...more
Tanja Berg
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
The journalist Stephanie Mailer disappears after she has been asking about the 20-year old, resolved, massacre of a family and an innocent bystander. The family belonged to the mayor of Orphea. The police men who wrapped up the case have to consider whether their perpetrator wasn’t really the one.

This is an incredibly well plotted crime novel with a large cast of characters of which many get to share their point of view. There are subplots and detours galore. There are several timelines and for
Irène
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've finished «La Disparition de Stéphanie Mailer» by Joël Dicker 2 days ago. Overall, I enjoyed my time reading it, it made me want to read thrillers again ! It’s a complex story with a lot of twists, suspense and questions. I liked the flashbacks that gave us context and explanations for some events. Flashbacks bothered some reader but for me, it’s a win ! I always enjoyed that kind of writing for thriller ! I can’t explain too much because I don’t want to spoil you, guys !

The characters are w
Bernie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
I read the French (original) version of this book, and I have enjoyed past books by Dicker more than this one.
There were more than one character that didn't really bring anything to the story, it's as if they were there just to try to complicate the plot - and that really wasn't necessary.
I was also surprised by some time-line mistakes - on the same page, first there was Monday, June 23rd, and then later, it was Monday, June 26th, for example.
The overall story was good, though, and the
Miriam
Somehow a 'whodunnit', somehow a portrayal of a small-town commmunity, somehow a portrayal of different characters and a study in people.
Changing perspectives and narrators, the author makes us understand not only one protagonist, but at least the three main characters looking for a solution of the old murder case from 20 years ago, if not more. This way of telling the story also keeps you interested and invested in the story and the characters.
Even though I suspected who did it, it did not be
Sarah 🐍
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joel Dicker did it again. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Case will always be my favorite, but this one was very close. Dicker has an ability to weave a story through so many different threads, and you don’t understand the importance of every thread until you’ve reach the end and you see the big picture. I hope this make sense, but if it didn’t I’ll make this simpler: it was fricking amazing.
Emma Verbree
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, although somewhat predictable and unrealistic here and there, is a real page turner: it took me four days to read all 634 pages. Never once was I bored or impatient by it. Well done!
Martha Roca
Total deception. After Henry Quebert, that was one of my favourite books ever, I waited for something good. This book is bad. A pity. I expected more from Joel Dicker.
Mariagiulia
Overall disappointing.
I loved "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair" and also "The Baltimore Boys" but in this case, I think that Joel Dicker missed the target.
Undoubtedly I appreciated the complexity of the story: it is not easy to keep the readers interested for 700 pages avoiding them to get lost in the dozens of characters and different situations presented. The plot was well built and till the end I kept on wondering about who could have been the murderer.
Anyway, there were many thin
Valentine
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
WARNING : THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

Okay so, where do I start ? This book was huge. It was great, even if some things disturbed me. So, let's divide this review in two parts.

WHAT I LIKED :
-The plot. It was really well done, there is some suspence all along the book.
-The characters. There are a lot of them, sure, but still, I wasn't really lost, and it permits to complexify the story.
-The big plot twist. I didn't expect that AT ALL, and I was shocked lmao.
(view spoiler)
Jeremy Scheurer
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rita
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this is a bit more of a 3.5
Honestly, I was not very dedicated to reading during the last month, which is probably why it seemed like ages until the story started to pick up - I had spent ages without reading a word. Between yesterday and today, however, I ended up reading the last 300 pages of this novel, just like it has happened whenever I pick up a Joël Dicker book.
However, unlike Baltimore Boys and The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair, I often considered this story to be written in a
Georgiana Gligor
FORGETTABLE

I'm sure what I'm about to say will offend some people, but this novel, although hyped about, is so forgettable it's gonna go out of my head the moment I finish it.

But don't get me wrong, the writing is not bad, it's just... nothing special, I guess. It cannot be distinguished from the next murder mystery you'd see on a shelf. It's just interesting enough to read on the bus without falling asleep!

It's even more tragic because it had multiple stories merging together in surprising way
JGrant '71
Very Disappointing.
Inasmuch as I loved La Vérité sur l’Affaire Harry Quebert (5/5 rating), this didn’t make the grade. The story followed the same structure as “Québert”, with a jumble of characters who all could be involved in the mystery - and the first third of the story actually worked well as the lead investigators try to determine what happened to Stephanie Mailer, an aspiring and accomplished crime reporter.
However, from there on, the story becomes increasingly non-credible, mainly due t
Kate
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read Joel Dicker's "La verité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert" and despite finding the narrator insufferable, the supposedly great love affair between a 14-year-old girl and a 30-something man implausible and icky, and the author's understanding of American culture tenuous at best, I still somehow became completely engrossed in the story, and was eager to pick up Dicker's new mystery/thriller novel. I read this while on vacation and loved every minute of it. It's a bit long, yes, an ...more
Antonio
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dicker is quickly establishing his formula for creating an unputdownable book. Non flat characters with believable arcs, interests and secrets which lay a tapestry of complex relations between them deepened as the book progresses.

As done in the previous book El libro de los Baltimore a fatal event is set midpoint of the book, so the book can create momentum up to this point and later pick up the pieces to form the aftermath. And although the tactic is set, it really works, captivating me from be
Cornelia Virginia
A masterpiece as usual, this is one of those books you buy when you need to regain faith in the literary world and tell yourself that there is still hope for tomorrow. I couldn’t put it down and I had to stop studying for an afternoon because I had to finish it. I couldn’t believe Michael was the guilty one but in the end everything had its explanation. I still am a little shocked by how the story of Steven unfolded and how his wife accepted the idea… I hope he used pseudonyms in the book otherw ...more
Kriste
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Disparition de Stephanie Mailer is the latest book by Joel Dicker that I have read. I have read by now most of his books and I really enjoyed them. I really like this one, but could not decide if I should give 3* or 4*, most likely it is 3.5* rounded. However in my opinion his best book and my favourite is La Vérité sur l'affaire Harry QuebertLa Vérité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert.
As in all previous books by Joel Dicker, I enjoyed the story line and the strong and unique characters he creates
Alvaro Cobian
Aug 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion it's such a poor book. Not just by the fact that it starts with the topic of a great policeman who is going to retire and one week before he need to investigate about an old murder that he though solved 20 years ago... it's full of clichés at the same time: the sense of responsibility of a good man, who lives with the memory of he beloved girlfriend who died for what he consideres his fault... and many more.
The plot is absolutely inconsistent, there is no justification for some twi
Federica
I gave 3 stars to this book because it was a pleasant reading as I was looking for a light reading. If you have already read "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair", from the first pages you will understand that the narration and the structure of the story are very similar. Nothing spectacular in the story or the characters and also the end was quite a disappointment. But if what you are looking for is simple crime fiction, this book is the perfect choice. It is not a demanding reading and it ...more
Elodie MJ C.
Half contented half disappointed. Dicker’s new novel is way better that « Baltimore » but far away from « Harry Quebert ». The story is pleasant so is the investigation. The little Hampton town seems charming and the characters well depicted. But the story is too light. Some length could be cut to narrow down the mystery. The investigation never really accelerates and the end just comes slowly and quite calmly. If I hadn’t read an interview of Dicker I wouldn’t even know ge based the murder case ...more
Samantha Morgan
I bought this book in August and I just finished it. At first was really boring, too many things and events that seems doesn’t have any connections between them... but of course, in the end everything is connected.
I couldn’t stop to read the last few chapters, even though I think the story wasn’t really riveting - I just wanted to know who the killer was.
I found some characters very annoying, like Kirk Harvey. I couldn’t stand him. Some of them wasn’t necessary.
There’s a lot of stereotypes and I
Pedro
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I don't know how, but Joël Dicker did it again.

I was afraid of reading to him again. I thought maybe he would be delivering a kind of copy of Harry Quebert this time, but actually not.

This book indeed was a similar reading experience to me, but because at certain point it made me to read it insanely quickly, just as the first time (Harry Quebert).

But besides that, this book stands alone. The story captivates you, and the characters are just too damn peculiar (That guy Kirk Harvey is just t
Charlotte Nobbs
A peaceful town on the East Coast of the US is the scene of a mysterious disappearance. Soon, 3 police officers will lead the investigation and link the case with a crime that took place in the same town 20 years ago.
I personally enjoyed reading Dicker's "La Vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert", despite not being a fan of crime novels.
That time, I became surprisingly bored while progressing in the story. The plot quickly became less and less credible and often predictable. I did not spend a goo
Mathilde
This book was a real page turner, I finished it within a week. However, I was a bit annoyed at the fact that there is no way for the reader to have potentially guessed who the culprit was. I personally enjoy doing some detective work while I am reading but here I was just carried by the words of Joël Dicker. The characters were sometimes a bit unsettling and made it hard for me to try to figure them out. but then again, I think it is probably due to the fact that I want to guess things before th ...more
Catherine
Good enjoyable storytelling with a nice few plot twists.
Unlike la vérité sur l’affaire Harry Quebert, this one did not keep me guessing and I unfortunately figured it out much earlier.
I almost prefer Dicker’s accounts of day to day life, for instance when he tells the tale of Jesse upbringing with his grandparents and meeting of Natasha. This has some true John Irving potential that I would probably love for him to develop
Katia
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very gripping, to me it was a real page turner! I couldn't put it down.
Sometimes it got a bit complicated with all the interwoven narratives, so I had to step some pages back to make sure I got all the facts straight.
I had the suspicion of who the killer was halfway through the book, but still kept me on the edge.
I thought this book was better than the first one he wrote, he likes to keep them loooong....
Nice reading for the summer, I highly recommend it!
Gabi Benevides
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
— the plot is intriguing but the amount of red herrings feels overwhelming
— the writing in this one feels sloppy; i’ve read two sentences almost identical
— why is joel dicker so obsessed with the hamptons?of course that i don’t know how often he visits new york, but his books are starting to feel like bad fanfics where the writers would describe a london they’d never met only because that’s where they would meet and fall in love with harry styles
Theresa
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read (in French), although I found some parts of the book a bit wordy and contrived, which left me wondering what these had to do with the main story. Moments of suspense and lots of twists and turns (perhaps too many) in the plot. I enjoyed his first book much more. Now on to read Dicker's second book.
« previous 1 3 next »
A Todo Terreno: La desaparició de Stephanie Mailer by Joël Dicker 8 25 Nov 16, 2018 09:06AM

• Entre ciel et Lou
  • Écoutez nos défaites
  • Puzzle
  • Enid (Quatre soeurs, #1)
  • Le Cœur d'une autre
  • A Sentinela
  • Cadres Noirs
  • La novia gitana (Elena Blanco, #1)
  • L'uomo del labirinto
  • Sauveur & fils (Sauveur & fils, #1)
  • Le Mystère Henri Pick
  • L'Éducation d'une fée
  • Les putes voilées n'iront jamais au paradis!
  • Une putain d'histoire
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • El mal camino
  • Territoires (Victor Coste, #2)
Joel Dicker was born in 1985 in Geneva, Switzerland, where he studied law. He spent childhood summers in New England, particularly in Stonington and Bar Harbor, Maine. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair won three French literary prizes, including the Grand Prix du Roman from the Académie Française, and was a finalist for the Prix Goncourt. Dicker lives in Geneva.
“Da igual de dónde vengas, la gente te juzgará por adónde vas.” 1 likes
“Ahora han cambiado las expectativas y también las exigencias, porque todo se considera un derecho adquirido.” 1 likes