Start by marking “Bone Saw” as Want to Read:
Bone Saw

Bone Saw

Liam Carpenter spends most of his time above his aunt’s garage, watching obscure horror movies and drinking cheap beer. But this week’s different. This week, things are getting weird. First, there’s his favorite director, Clive Sherman, showing up in town unannounced. Then there’s the string of murders that all seem like something out of Clive’s popular Pigfoot movie monst ...more
Published May 15th 2018 by Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Bone Saw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Saw

Start your review of Bone Saw
Dan Schwent
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2018-books
Liam's life isn't going great, even before the video store where he works goes out of business. But there is a bright spot: his favorite horror film director, Clive Sherman, is making a movie in his home town. However, Sherman's gory films look so realistic for a reason...

Max Booth at Perpetual Motion Machine Press hit me up and offered me an ARC of this. For some reason, I had Patrick Lacey confused with Joseph D'Lacey. Anyway, this wound up being terrific despite my confusion.

Bone Saw is the s
Kimberly
4.5*!

BONE SAW, by Patrick Lacey, reads so much like a beloved B-horror movie that I felt like I was watching a VHS tape, rather than reading a novel much of the time. The events happening were so well written that I could picture them in my mind as being on a television screen.

Liam Carpenter is an unmotivated underachiever who lives in a small apartment above his Aunt's garage. His hobbies include obsessing over an ex-girlfriend that left him for a life in Hollywood, putting up with degrading co
Cameron Chaney
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, adult, horror
I have a full video review of BONE SAW up on my channel, but if you prefer written reviews then read on!

BONE SAW is the story of a young man named Liam, his favorite horror film director, and said director's pig-human hybrid movie-monster killing machine known as Pigfoot... which might not actually be a fictional beast, as Liam is about to find out. Got it? If not then too bad, because that's the only way I know how to describe this bonkers little story!

BONE SAW is a tremendously fun, gory, and
The Grim Reader
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m a big fan of Patrick Lacey’s writing and was eagerly awaiting this new book from him and the excellent Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing. Lacey is cut from a similar cloth to Adam Cesare in that his love of horror movies often comes to the fore in his writing. The synopsis tells of a new horror movie being made in Bass Falls starring the brutal Pigface! Liam Carpenter is a huge horror fan and he can’t believe his luck when Bone Saw Studios rock up in his town.

I liked Liam a lot as a charac
Mindi
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, is this review way overdue. I won't go into how messed up March has been for me and my TBR, since I've been whining about it on social media for a while now. But I think I'm getting my mojo back.

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to read an ARC of Lacey's new one WHERE STARS WON'T SHINE, and I loved it. So you can imagine that I was pretty excited to buddy read this one with my pal Emily @book.happy.

I was immediately drawn in to this one by the title and cover, but the blurb was just a
Michael Hicks
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liam is a horror movie aficionado, particularly of those titles from Bone Saw Studios and director Clive Sherman. Liam is also a bit of a down-on-his-luck loser - a film student dropout pining over his ex-girlfriend, recently fired from his job as a video store clerk, and bullied by his pot-dealing best friend's girlfriend. His luck may be on the upswing though after meeting the pierced and dreadlocked beauty, Michelle, waiting tables at the local diner and learning that his Hollywood idol, Cliv ...more
Emily
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-tbr
"It was madness, a nightmare, a break with reality."

Patrick Lacey's books always have the most entertaining plots, and this is another fun slasher story. Bone Saw is about a guy who is obsessed with the Pigman movies, and then the Pigman franchise people show up to make a movie in his town.

While Bone Saw had an enjoyable storyline, I had trouble connecting with it as a whole. The story has an odd and fascinating opening, and then it sort of loses steam for a while. I didn't really care about a
Russell Holbrook
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
All hail the Pigfoot!

I was immediately drawn to this book the second I saw the cover art and read the title. I thought it was going to be rad and I was right! This is an all-out fun to the max horror fest that hits all the right notes for me. I love the small town setting, the monsters, the oddball characters -especially the private detective- and the strange romance. I also enjoyed the exploration of the themes of friends growing up and growing apart, personal ambitions and their meaning in ou
Baker St Shelves
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Making movies is a cutthroat business. Oftentimes people do very underhanded things in order to achieve their success. Even if it means having people die in the process.
Using a movie as a smokescreen for having a monster murder as they film it is certainly original and really has a new perspective on the genre. This was cool do go in the different characters’ plots and to see them woven together for a much greater plot made for a nice read
Zachary Ashford
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing

What happens when you throw a dodgy film director, a good-hearted kid with a love for old-school horror movies, a badass chick with Daddy issues, a haunted private eye and a homicidal pig-monster into an isolated town? Well, aside from the obvious insanity and gore, you get a rollicking good read, that’s what.
Patrick Lacey’s latest novel Bone Saw bursts out of the blocks with the speed of a rampaging B-movie monster and doesn’t let up. The novel’s protagonist, Liam Carpenter, isn’t exactly enjoy
Russell Coy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BONE SAW is a must for the slasher film aficionado, as well as the fan of tight, propulsive storytelling. Goes right next to WE CAME BACK in my list of of Lacey favorites.
Sean Franco-Norris
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I happened to get an email from Patrick Lacey asking if I was interested in reading and reviewing his book, Bone Saw, by providing the ARC (Advance Review Copy). I admit I often skip through that because I wanted to enjoy reading the books without a deadline. Upon reading the blurb of the Bone Saw, it intrigued me enough to accept the ARC book. I enjoyed horror stories.

After receiving the ARC book, I did a bit of research to see when it will be released and saw that it releases on May 15th. Tha
Brandon
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let's begin this review by saying this: if you're a horror fan and you haven't read Patrick Lacey yet, you're missing out.

You're missing out in the sorest way I can possibly imagine. His books are literary love letters to the genre I love, particularly the films of Craven, Henenlotter, and well... basically pick your favorite 80s horror film director as Lacey's probably winking at him.

There's this comfort food-like quality to his writing, that is familiar and warm, with some occasionally dark
Thomas Joyce
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having first viewed Nightmare on Elm Street when he was five years old, it is clear to see where the love for horror began for Patrick Lacey. It is a love that was nurtured through reading every horror book he could lay his hands on, from R.L. Stine’s Goosebumps series to Stephen King, before discovering splatterpunk authors like Laymon, Ketchum and Skipp among others. The influence of splatterpunk on his own work, from his numerous short stories and novellas to his two previous novels (Dream Wo ...more
David Murphy
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great book from patrick Lacey. If you've read anything by him before then you know what to expect, if you're new to his work stop reading this and start reading the book, you won't regret it.

Like usual I don't like discussing the plot in a review, read the blurb to get an idea of what to expect, but in general expect wackiness, excellent narrative and writing, believable characters that have you rooting for them.

Although it seems like a short read the book is perfect in length in my opin
Debbi Smith
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blood,guts, and some black comedy- Bone Saw has all of it. The pig-hybrid is a joy of cryptozoology.
Read this book. It's trippy!
I received a copy of this book from the publisher and chose to review it.
Jonathan Raab
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A loving tribute to 80s-era small town-under-siege and slasher/monster movies. For those who like a little fun with their horror novels.
Kyle Rader
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable slice of nostalgic horror. I've enjoyed several of Lacey's works before and I was pleased to see the trend continued with his new release. There's less gore than in some of his previous releases, but that's not really an issue as the overall story is engaging enough to keep the pages turning. If you are a major horror fan, you'll probably see a bit of yourself in the protagonist. Criticisms? I felt the ending came a bit too rapidly and one of the characters / sideplots didn ...more
Kyle Feuerbach
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Patrick Lacey’s books. I’ve read three and each one was very, very good. Bone Saw was a fun ride that really moved quickly. Lacey never wastes time with unnecessary scenes, instead he keeps the book moving forward with each chapter. Much like Adam Cesare, Lacey creates likable, flawed characters that are easy to root for.
Dan Myers
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pigfoot Lives!!!

Bone Saw is a monster movie about a monster movie. Clive Sherman has his infamous creature Pigfoot brought to life by a rather witchy woman. A live action horror movie ensues with great violence. This was a fun read!!!
Tim
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bone Saw is the latest novel by Patrick Lacey and it is one worth reading. This is a short novel but it packs in plenty of action and gore. I feel the characters were well developed and felt realistic to me. The pace starts out slow but speeds up throughout the book. There is plenty of action and very cool monsters. I read through this book quickly and had much fun. Overall this is a fast paced creature feature that delivers the goods. This book is highly recommended.
Zach
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
The Friday the 13th films were set in Connecticut so slashers count as a New England thing, right? Enough for my purposes at least.

Regardless, Bone Saw is a fun pulp horror novel with rubbery monsters and buckets of blood, hitting all the grisly notes you'd expect from the straight-to-video splatter flicks that set its plot into motion. There's a sense of odd levity to the whole thing, and it plays a bit with metafiction without diving in whole-hog and losing itself among self-referential winks
Paul Anderson

• The Dark Game
  • Night Shoot
  • The Switch House
  • Out Behind the Barn
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
Patrick Lacey was born and raised in a haunted house. He currently spends his nights and weekends writing about things that make the general public uncomfortable. He lives in Massachusetts with his wife, his oversized cat, and his muse, who is likely trying to kill him.

Twitter: @patlacey