Start by marking “Love for Imperfect Things: How to Accept Yourself in a World Striving for Perfection” as Want to Read:

A #1 internationally bestselling book of spiritual wisdom about learning to love ourselves, with all our imperfections, by the Buddhist author of The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down.

When you care for yourself first, the world begins to find you worthy of care.

No one is perfect, but that shouldn't hold us back from love--for the world, for one another, or eve
Published December 24th 2018 by Penguin Life (first published February 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Love for Imperfect Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love for Imperfect Things

Start your review of Love for Imperfect Things: How to Accept Yourself in a World Striving for Perfection
Jami Murphy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The loving voice we often long for in our crazy, mixed up lives is here in this comforting book. I will probably always flip back to different sections of this book whenever I need a bit of encouragement or love. ♥️
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I think such books are considered self help books, and I'm going through these like drinking fresh water in a hot summer day; I love positive books about peace, meditation, mindfulness, and acceptance. I always feel sleepy after a few pages of such books, I think they make me feel a sort of peace I can't always achieve... in any case, the book is lovely, deep, and the illustrations are beautiful. I think blue is one of the prettiest colors.

Colona Public Library
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april, non-fiction
If you are looking for a self-help book to start your New Years off right, this is the book for you. In a easy to read format, these verses will help you heal from negative thoughts. The chapters were broken down into different categories: Self-Care, Family, Empathy, Relationships, Courage, Healing, Enlightenment and Acceptance. It made me feel better to know that even a Buddhist monk struggled with depression and sadness. There were many passages that I wrote down to reference back to in the fu ...more
Trevor Gill
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is a banal trawl through the blindingly obvious. It restates stuff that, if you didn’t know already, means that you’re probably about 3 years old. So often did I find myself thinking, “No sh*t Sherlock” that I eventually gave up. Don’t buy this book. Instead, go for a haircut and engage the barber in a chat or take a taxi ride and raise some subjects with the driver. You’ll learn just as much and gain more value for your time and money.
Jen
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a cute, quick read but nothing mind-blowing as the concepts and ideas presented are incredibly simple (and quite obvious to be honest). It’s not that I can’t appreciate it for what it is, I think I was expecting something else which can always been seen as a lesson in itself. There were some snippets of wisdom I jotted down to remember when needed. The book leaves you feeling good and like you’ve just been hugged so that is always nice :).
Leah
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-psychology
This book was surprisingly really good! I went into it without much expectation, and I actually got quite a bit out of it.

This book is full of practical day to day advice that you can actually apply.

Haemin Sunim is big on compassion and empathy. If you try your best to understand others, where they are coming from and to sympathize with them you can let go of fear, anger, resentment, and just be at peace with them.

Some themes in the book are about letting go, dealing with depression, hurt, an
Hanum Salsabila
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book became one of the most popular book in the bookstore, so i decided to gave it a try. I really needed self help book at the moment.

And as the author said, this book was indeed bring me some kind of peace in a time of difficulty.

I can relate everything in this book. Like when i was envying my friend because her life seems really good on social media, and here i am, tried to fix my messy life. But perhaps at some point, she also felt envy of me.

Also, the thing with being unattractive. I
Triet Dinh
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5
God, it's freaking awesome. Definitely better than his first book i've read.
Really really enjoyed it.
Haemin begins every chapter with a short story and then he lyrically conveys his suggestions or maybe just some chatters to us.

grateful
Linda Hill
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2019 seems to be the year of the self-help book, and I’ve read a few so far this year, but Love For Imperfect Things is one of the best. I loved it.

I want to begin my review by saying something about the lovely quality of the way the hard-backed book is produced. The robust cover means that this is a book that will withstand years of use as readers dip in and out. What really enhances Love For Imperfect Things though, are the wonderful illustrations by Lisk Feng. They have a naive quality that e
Donna
Jan 15, 2019 added it
The essays in this book are deceptively simple. They are not earth-shattering revelations, but instead are quiet, peaceful reflections on life and how best to live it, starting by accepting the most meaningful of “imperfect things,” ourselves. The short, poetic pearls of wisdom that follow each essay can be taken in all at once as quick reinforcing readings about the chapter, or each one might be considered on its own as a daily meditation. Either way, none are the koans and conundrums found in ...more
Sri Ratna Wulan
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love this book. This book is better than the first one, I think. It likes a fountain; it heals your tiredness when you drink it. I am not a Buddhist but I feel that the teachings about spiritual are somehow similar to what I believe. This is one of my most favorite books. It helps me a lot and I hope I could act same like my knowledge. I really recommend it to everyone!

We are imperfect but so the world. We just need to accept it.
Manira Akter
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In the beginning, I didn't like as much as I liked the first book. The more I read, the more I loved it. It gives me so much peace and comprehension. Highly recommend it as I recommend the first book "Things you can see only when you slow down." 🙂 ...more
Syeda Ahad
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece by Haemin Sunim! I read the first book three years ago at a difficult time of my life, and that book helped me in so many levels! The same can be said for this one. I started this few months ago while dealing with some personal difficulties. In the beginning, I was finding this book to be just okay, loved his peaceful way of writing nevertheless. But as the book progressed, the magic built on. At times, I felt like the words I read were the exact same words I needed to hear a ...more
Edith
Jan 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 1/2 stars.

This book was a complete disappointment. It offers nothing but a few of the author's personal experiences interlarded with a bunch of random bromides and commonplace pieces of advice that most of us are already familiar with.

When I got to the following, I stopped: "Much domestic strife comes from the futile effort to interfere and sow discord: the wife, between her husband and his parents; the mother-in-law, between her son and his wife; the husband's sister, between her brother and
Andrienne
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just need a reminder that is simple and straight-to-the point. The author talks about self-care, forgiveness, relationships, depression, compassion...It’s a soothing book that is like a collection of maxims to live by. This is useful to pick up every now and then when you need a pick-me-up.
Emma
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just like his first book, this is a collection of essays, anecdotes and quotes. The book is split up in chapters that deal with one certain topic, such as acceptance, empathy and self-care.

I especially liked the anecdotes because they give an interesting view into the life of a buddhist monk, and it shows us that not everyone is perfect, not even Heamin Sunim!

In comparison to his other book, this one resonated a lot more with me, and I feel like the structure was better too. No 5 stars though b
Edwin B
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I know this is sort of like a self-help book, but it's also spiritual.

And I read this because it's the next book to discuss in my book club.

But let not the book club be my excuse for reading this, because — I say without embarrassment — I can use a spiritual perspective on life whenever I can get it.

This book is different from most spirituality books I’ve read. It is a rhythmic cadence of "do this" and "don't do this" words of advice, that is surprisingly soothing, and meditative – gently washin
Caitlin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Haemin Sunim writes wonderful little books. I keep his first one on my bedside table to refer to when life seems hard. This one I read straight through, and I'm glad. Sure, some bits read like Wisdom McNuggets, but far more capture a way of being in the world to which I wholeheartedly aspire. Lovely artwork (especially in Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down). Amen. ...more
Stephanus
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
it's a book for everyone. every chapter is unique to every person.
one may float through a chapter but finds another conflicting.
a good book for self-reflection
grace yang
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: impt-learnings
The gentle, loving, and hopeful pep talk we all need; it felt like a warm hug. Countless nuggets of wisdom with sprinkles of spirituality and encouragement.

Not my usual style of books, but I enjoyed this one. Very digestible, and didn’t feel repetitive.
Inês Lóio
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it
“As you would invest in the person you love,
So you should invest in yourself.”
Raluca
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Not necessarily ground breaking in terms of what was presented. However, the artwork was so beautiful made and fit the book perfectly. Enjoyed it as a morning read, to set the tone for the day.
Iona  Stewart
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of inspirational texts by the Korean Buddhist monk Haemin Sumin. It is delightfully illustrated by Lisk Feng.

The author reminds us to be good to ourselves first, to express our feelings and remember to ask for help when necessary. We’re allowed to say no when people ask for favours.

“When we love someone, the greatest gift we can give is to be fully present for them.”

Once I was participating in a self-development course when the instructor asked us to tell the group what we w
Putri Amalia Handayani
I really love the book!! This is my third non-fiction/self-improvement books I read this year and I can say this is my #1 pick! Haemin Sunim's writing is very calming I can't even imagine how soothing it must be in the original script which is Korean (I don't think he published the Korean version, if he did I'd really love to read it, and in this book they put the translator name and also I can recognize that this writing isn't originally written in English, anywaaay-). I don't know what makes m ...more
SheAintGotNoShoes
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as I did his prior one.

The only few bones I had to pick were my difference of opinion on 'weighing ' or 'measuring' our pain against someone else's and coming to the conclusion that ours is not heavy. Pain and suffering can not be put on a scale nor should it as it solves nothing.

I also do not agree that is it necessarily bad to tell your new partner some horror stories of your prior relationship, it does not conclude you are small minded or catty - that relationship may have b
Divya Mangotra
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book felt like straight-up meditation. There is so much to learn and absorb from each chapter, that reading it just once is not enough. This book is simple, yet profound. Highly recommend it.

My takeaways-
1. Listening to people without offering advice or your interpretation is the biggest help and the greatest gift one can give.

2. Putting your heart, mind, and soul even into the smallest acts is the secret to success.

3. The greatest learning opportunity arises from getting blamed for what y
Vitak
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I read this book with the slowest pace I've ever let myself read a book.

I set myself to read this book only when I'm sad, frustrated, or angry. During the first few months, I come back to the book very frequently. During the last few months, I almost never even open it again.

This book is going to teach you how to love more and judge less. This book is going to teach you how to love all of your imperfections. This book is going to teach you how to accept yourself to the point that o
Christine Ong
Always 5 stars for Haemin’s books!
His words are full of kindness, wisdom, love and compassion and also easy to understand. It felt like I’m having a one on one conversation with him in real life, like a big brother. ❤️

This book isn’t a heavy read, and I think it will greatly serve everyone well. Like a warm hug.
Amiera
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Take your time reading this book.
Author Haemin writes a great content that brings good peace to the mind and soul.
Definitely worth to re-read this book again soon.
Johanna Hammarström
One of those books that makes you feel really good. Not any new revelations but a good reminder of the important things in life.

• Siapa yang Datang ke Pemakamanku Saat Aku Mati Nanti?
  • Tìm mình trong thế giới hậu tuổi thơ
  • Filosofi Teras
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Muôn Kiếp Nhân Sinh: Many Lives Many Times
  • The Book of Forbidden Feelings
  • Going Offline: Menemukan Jati Diri di Dunia Penuh Distraksi
  • Bạn đắt giá bao nhiêu?
  • Perempuan yang Menangis kepada Bulan Hitam
  • Yang Belum Usai: Kenapa Manusia Punya Luka Batin?
  • You Do You: Discovering Live Through Experiments and Self-Awareness
  • Lấy tình thâm mà đổi đầu bạc
  • I Want to Die But I Want to Eat Tteokpokki
  • Hai Miiko! 33
  • 나는 나로 살기로 했다 (겨울 스페셜 에디션)
  • Mengapa Luka Tidak Memaafkan Pisau
  • Hiểu về trái tim
  • The Miracles of the Namiya General Store
Zen Buddhist teacher, bestselling author & founder of the School for Broken Hearts in Seoul.

Born in South Korea and educated at Berkeley, Harvard, and Princeton, he received formal monastic training from Haein monastery, South Korea and taught Asian religions at Hampshire College in Massachusetts for seven years.

He is one of the most influential Zen monks in the world, with over 1.5 million follow

News & Interviews

“When we become kinder to ourselves, we can become kinder to the world.” 22 likes
“Do not think of yourself as a crescent moon, waiting for someone else to fill in the missing part of you. When you stand alone like a full moon, already complete in yourself, you will meet another person who is whole and complete just like you, and between you two, a healthy relationship can grow. Do not try and fit yourselves to each other to make one whole moon. Instead, be more like two full moons. You’ll respect each other’s individuality and interests while creating a relationship in which each of you shines brightly on the other” 18 likes