Start by marking “The Foes Between Us (The Last Wizard series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Foes Between Us (The Last Wizard series, #1)

The Foes Between Us

(The Last Wizard Series)

In 1842 England, Brynn suspects Reuben's "natural death" had actually been murder. Reuben has left cryptic clues for Brynn to find to help her locate Zadicayn, an imprisoned young man claiming to be a wizard from the Middle Ages—a wizard Reuben had murdered for trying to free himself.

When Brynn frees Zadicayn, Reuben's murderers now turn their sights on her. He
Published May 16th 2018 by Tirgearr Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Foes Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foes Between Us

Start your review of The Foes Between Us (The Last Wizard series, #1)
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

Fiction, fantasy, history and a little humor...what's not to love?

Read full review in the 2018 Oct issue of InD'tale Magazine.

J.M. Robison
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
I am the author of this book, and I'd like to tell you where I got my idea to write it.

To tell you the truth, I don't know where the idea came from. I was in Salt Lake, UT and it was 11pm. With still a 3 1/2 hour drive back home, and my husband too sick to drive - and with no money for a hotel to stay the night - I began driving.

I had just finished writing The War Queen a few weeks earlier, so I was already on the hunt for another story to write, so to force myself to sta
Tristen Kozinski
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Despite my rating, I have no real criticisms to level against this book, the prose is good, the characters are excellent and the story is compelling.
The Foes between Us is a period piece taking place in Victoria's England, and much of the books conflict comes from this setting. Our main protagonist, Brynn, chafes at the bounds of enforced modesty without being entirely free of them herself. This is where the strength of her character derives, through the book she protests the constraints o
KC
A digital copy (PDF) of this novel was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the story in any way.

In the 1500s, during the Middle Ages, a young man named Zadicayn was imprisoned for his wizardry and left to die. Through a Fae spell, he was able to survive...but the next three centuries were spent in stasis and in unceasing despair.
Fast-forward to the mid-1800s. Brynnella Ashdown is a young, albeit rebellious and unwilling, lady-in-
Linda Henry
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The is my first ARC, book I have read. I love how the author mixed, a little history, in with the fiction and fantasy. I was exited that the author allowed me the privilege of reviewing her book and while normally I would not usually pickup a book in this genera I am glad I did and hope to read more books by this author.
Antonia Ryder
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of this book in exchange for an honest review. I have also read an earlier draft of this book and have an acquaintance with the author. It is my aim to be honest and impartial without giving any spoilers.

What I liked:

I’m a sucker for Victorian, so I could not help liking this book right off the bat for its setting.

The characters are very consistent. Nobody steps out of character at any point in this story, and the voice remains true to itself. Brynn so
Katrina
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was gifted this book by the author in exchange for an honest review - thank you J.M

I an not a fan of Victorian era - I find the formality, morality and restrictions of it stifling. In that I can sympathize with Brynn, even if her attire obsession, though amusing, annoyed me occasionally. But it was good to see her character progression through the book . I do wish we spent more time with Zadicyn , I still don't know him well but what I know is very likable. However, in saying all
Isaac
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
J.M. Robison is a master at spinning an engrossing tale. Funny, adventurous and thought-provoking, The Foes Between Us, The Last Wizard #1 is a brilliantly textured combination of historical realism and fantasy, complete with an intriguing murder mystery, wizards and peril.

Like traveling in a time machine, the story transported me to the 1800s like I was there in rich vivid detail.

The characters are wonderful. The protagonist, Brynn is a strong free-spirited female character living in the cons
Heather Ramsay
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved it!

This book is addicting! Brynn is fabulous, her internal monologue is hilarious and I found myself laughing out loud at her antics. The author is an excellent storyteller and really knows how to breathe life into her characters. The setting and the accuracy of the times just added another dimension of awesomeness to this book.

You need to check out this book, you will not be disappointed. I’m eagerly waiting for the next one!
Miranda Chapman
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
J.M. Robison is a fantastic writer and you can tell that she really puts her heart and soul into her books. The Foes Between Us is another great example of her epic storytelling. I really enjoyed the magic aspect and significance to the plot. Brynn was a great character to know and her voice stood out from the others; I believe that was due to the fact that it was written in 1st person P.O.V. . . . which was a smart choice. Her inner thoughts really drove the story and made for an interesting fi ...more
Idella Cutler
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome!! I read it with my kids, we are anxious for the next one. The characters are very well written. And being that it is in first person gives you the chance to really feel what Brynn is feeling. The storyline is intriguing and unique. And you can't help but fall in love with Zadicyn and his view of the life he has found himself in. Bravo on capturing life in the 1800s, reading this book was like taking a trip back in time, the details are astounding!!
Elizabeth
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is so much fun first book was good, seconded book was twice as good!!! Can’t wait to continue this fun adventure!

Natasha
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The author is so good at keeping your attention! I couldn’t put it down!
Jasser Hammami
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One thing for sure is that I am DYING to read the next book in this series.
The way this book captured every aspect of living in the victorian era, the character of the girl refusing to follow society's rules, the emotions, the plot, EVERYTHING about this book was simply magnificent!
I just can't wait to read the next book. 10/10!!!
Tirgearr Publishing
McNeil Inksmudge
May 30, 2019
Stephanie
Jul 03, 2019

• Lachlan: Vampires in Europe (Vampires in America #13)
  • Heart Of Eon (Eon Warriors, #3)
  • American Witch
  • A Mere Formality
  • Necessary Magic (Wolf and Unicorn, #1)
  • Ride: Awakening (Puca Mates #1)
  • I Am The Wild (The Night Firm #1)
J.M. Robison is a fantasy author who chronicles the events which force heroes to reveal their mistakes, lead rebellions to dethrone tyranny, and unearth ancient secrets to free the oppressed. Some day she'll pack the wagon and roam the mountains in search of dragons.

The Last Wizard Series (3 books)
  • Between Magic and Mayhem (The Last Wizard series, #2)
  • The Illusions In Between (The Last Wizard series: #3)