Start by marking “The Purrfect Murder (Mrs. Murphy, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Purrfect Murder (Mrs. Murphy, #16)

The Purrfect Murder

(Mrs. Murphy #16)

Its autumn in cozy, idyllic Crozet, Virginiaa time for golden days, crisp nightsand murder. Mrs. Carla Paulson is one of the diamond-encrusted come-here set who has descended on Crozet with plenty of wealth and no feeling for country ways. Shes determined to make her new house the envy of all her well-heeled friendsand enemies and shes hired architect Tazio Chappers to ...more
Published January 27th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Purrfect Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purrfect Murder

Start your review of The Purrfect Murder (Mrs. Murphy, #16)
Susan E
I've been reading the Mrs. Murphy mysteries since 1990... a new one come out every year around my birthday. I'm a sucker for stories that revisit the same characters over and over, so I'll keep reading these as long as Rita Mae keeps writing them. That being said, I can't help noticing that Rita Mae keeps inserting her politics and point of view more and more into these books... that's her perogative as the author -- I don't necessarily disagree with all her opinions, it just seems so obvious ...more
Kay Hommedieu
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay, I finally finished it! It was a quick read and very enjoyable and entertaining. The characters Harry and Coop are especially interesting women and friends. Harry's pets, one dog, a corgi, and two cats kept up the interest by accompanying Harry wherever she went and the pets even got interested in helping Harry investigate one of the murders that took place. I may even reread it to catch up with some of the clues that I missed. I'll let you know. For now:6/22/2018

Okay, I did read this title
Eyehavenofilter
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cat-mysteries
If there really was a place like this in VA I would move there in a minute. It just seems like an idyllic and wonderful place to live. But when a high flautin' rich bitch moves in totally intent on remodeling her new digs, treating the local folk like they are less than human, and ends up getting skewered( stabbed) to death, Mrs. Murphy the cat and her pals are on the case again. I just can't get enough of acts and dogs talking to each other and making fun of how stupid people really are. It ...more
Sesa38
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the earlier books in this series. However, the author has been getting more and more political and preachy as the series goes on. I think I'm done with this author after this one.

It's too bad because she has very engaging characters and a good story line. I'm usually not big on talking animals but Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter give a funny perspective on how pets might see humans.
Pam
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery story, but a little too much preaching about abortion rights. How can a doctor believe life starts at birth? Please---why do prenatal care and check the baby's heartbeat, etc., if there is no life until the baby is born? And leave this out of a light mystery--I don't want to hear the author's political viewpoint.
Randee
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep saying this after I finish each book in the series, but the animals (Mrs. Murphy, Pewter, Tucker, Flatface, Simon, Matilda, all their friends and the horses) keep a smile on my face and often a laugh out loud by their conversations, feuds and antics. Special mention of special hilarity in this story is Matilda dropping down from a tree smack onto Pewter!
Debra Scott
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit heavy on the political agenda but good mystery.
Sharon Terry
Oct 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is one of a series by Rita Mae Brown, featuring her cat, Sneaky-Pie, as co-author. It starts promisingly enough, with the murder of a pro-choice doctor by a sniper firing from a building nearby - the suspect is believed most likely to be one of the pro-lifers constantly hounding him. Soon, though, the novel bogged down in the sort of internal US politics that must fascinate some people in the US but is a resounding bore to the rest of the civilized world. Also, her characters are all ...more
Dl Hood
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, I think this will be the last of the Mrs. Murphy series that I read. I have followed them from the beginning, but the stories are getting so interspersed with political & sociological commentary, that I feel it detracts, rather than adds, to the wonderful characterizations the author has developed.
Daniele
I used to love this series, but the last couple of books have been really disappointing...too much soap box expounding, not enough mystery, not enough story or character development, not enough from the animals "point of view" and involvement. Sadly, this may be the last Sneakie Pie for me.
Claire N
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From what I read on other reviews, I saw a lot of people got caught up in the politics of this one. Honestly, it's a work of fiction, but yes, real world issues will creep in. Overall, it is a well written mystery and I honestly did not see the ending coming.
Chazzi
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
People are moving into Crozet with lots of money to burn. They are building huge homes with no regard to the lifestyle or history of the area. Also no manners.

Carla Paulson is one of these newcomers. She has hired local architect, Tazio Chappars, to design and build her new estate. A good gig, except for the fact that Tazio is dealing with an over demanding client and the most difficult building inspector in Abermarle County.

Things really get topsy-turvy for Tazio when her client is found
Lindsey
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful installment in the Mrs. Murphy series! This novel features the murder of a beloved OB/GYN, Will Wylde, and the ensuing blackmail of local women who had obtained abortions in the past. But when a local rich woman, Carla Paulson, is murdered at a white-tie party and her architect, the well-respected Tazio Chappars, is discovered holding a bloody knife over her body, questions abound.

Even though it deals with sensitive subjects, this book never becomes preachy or overly moral. It
Jane
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Several years ago I swore off mysteries featuring animals, but I had never tried Mrs. Murphy, and after reading a goodreads friend's review not long ago I decided to try one. It was pretty good. Since I wasn't familiar with the recurring characters in the series I wasn't as attached to them as are serious readers of Mrs. Murphy books. I didn't mind the political references, the mystery was engaging, and the animals not totally unbelievable.
Melissa
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cats, dogs
In this installment in the series a birth control clinic's doctor is killed and it seems that women who have terminated pregnancies are going to be outed. However, someone is blackmailing women for both having abortions or marital infidelities. Is this person the same one as the murderer? Recommended.
ArtemisKate
I usually love this series, but this one did not have much of Mrs. Murphy figuring out who had done it. Another thing I miss is that now that Harry no longer works at the post office we hardly get any Miranda - and she is one of my favorite characters. I won't give up hope on the rest of the series, this may well be just one weak story.
Rebecca
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, murder is afoot in Crozet, Virginia...more than one, and they appear to be linked to the town's Family Planning Clinic. But why these people, why now and who would do this? Is this a political statement, or is something darker, more personal going on? Harry and her marvelous critters need to find a killer, and fast!
Tara
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
I continue to like the characters in these mysteries. I dont always agree with all their political and philosophical rants but I find them interesting. I think reading different points of view from mine can be really rewarding and eye opening. Its a good mystery too. ...more
Catherine
As usual theSneaky Pie Brown mystery are very intertaining. Mrs. Murphy, Pewter and Tucker seem o have more sense than their human family. I do think the stories are getting too political. But still a cozy read.
Sherry Ledet
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book 4 instead of the usual 5 stars. For several books now Ms Brown has become more and more political and as far as I am concerned it takes away from the fun of reading about how Harry and her pets solve mysteries. This one would have been better with less politics.
Sally
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I enjoy reading about Crozet. It is an are that I traveled through for years. I like the characters including the animals. This story concerned numerous murders and was difficult to see who had the motive.
Diane Large
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of Brown's best mysteries, but I'm hooked on the animals and how they help Harry when she gets into a jam. Brown is a little to political and preachy, but that won't stop me from reading more of the series.
Erica
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back on track. Much better than the last two, but still room to improve.
Julie
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book I picked up at a library sale - a decent quick read.
Terralyn Brown Barfield
4 Stars. I love the human and animal characters in this series and Im very picky when they have speaking parts in particular. A fun read. ...more
Kaemea
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too political and preachy for me.
Cathy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
good book! have to read the rest of them now ! the animals are as much fun to read about as the people!
Joyce
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all the books in this series. I also enjoy the Sister Jane books by this author. She has so many books. Just like my favorite Agatha Christie. I enjoy the light mysteries. This one was nice.
Amy W.
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thia was ok. Not one of my favorites in the series.
Fred Nachbrunn
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A greater action mystery

The best kind of murder mystery.
Plenty of plot twists. A Large group of suspects to choose from.
A surprise ending.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who... #18)
  • The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell (Cat Who... #28)
  • The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who... #17)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (Cat Who..., #29)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (Cat Who... #12)
  • Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran
  • The Cat Who Went Up the Creek (Cat Who... #24)
  • The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who... #25)
  • Pouncing on Murder (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #4)
  • The Cat Who Tailed a Thief (Cat Who... #19)
  • The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Cat Who... #20)
  • Coconut Layer Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #25)
  • The Cat Who Saw Stars (Cat Who... #21)
  • Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey, #3)
  • The Cat Who Wasn't There (Cat Who..., #14)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)