Start by marking “The Bearer's Burden (Phantom Pact #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bearer's Burden (Phantom Pact #1)

The Bearer's Burden (Phantom Pact #1)

Cade Elegy’s mind is tearing itself apart, crowded with the phantoms of the dead, and he must carry the burdens they could not.

This bond lends him their experience and allows him to bend the laws of the physical world — a power he desperately needs if he is to discover the truth of what happened to his missing family.

The trail has gone cold, but he is given one last chanc
Published May 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Bearer's Burden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bearer's Burden

Nick
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! No way is this a debut novel!

From the outset, the prologue draws you into a new world and you know you’re in for a compelling and original journey.

Queen does a masterful job in first third of the book, setting the stage with world building; history, people groups, characters, systems, and more.

But truly a third of the way in, watch out, because it is absolutely page-turning action. Amazing twists, epic scenes, brilliant character and relational development, and a myriad of wonderfully uniq
Darin Brown
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chad Queen demonstrates brilliant imagination with his complex world-build. Chalice is a place where those appropriately trained can conscript the phantoms of the recently passed by entering into a pact with them. The price is high--having more than one consciousness simultaneously can drive the bearer insane. However, Cade Elegy, the protagonist, fights through this and many other battles in this primary installment of this new series.

In addition to the masterful world build, Queen tells a grea
Ekaterina Dolgova
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Chad, it’s a very good book!! Not the genre I like the most but indeed catching and keeping the attention! It was a while I wanted to know what the next page brings.. keep writing, you are good at that!
Ian Miller
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fantasy that has a few takes from elsewhere as far as naming goes. We have a planet that is being subjected to wraiths, and ancients have had much stronger technology, but they have ascended. You may recognise a little here. Nevertheless, this has originality. Apparently, when you die, your spirit wanders in a space (analogy – purgatory?) but a bearer can incorporate such spirits, and in return the spirit conveys magical properties. For example, if someone propels some weapon at a bear ...more
Arden Belrose
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: action buffs,adventure seekers,sci-fi nuts, superpower fans, gamers
4.5/5 Stars

Phew!

Now THAT was one heck of a ride.

The Bearer's Burden, a debut novel by Chad Queen, is an explosive Sci-Fi adventure about one guy's road to avenging his love ones while struggling to rein in his own demons.

Cade Elegy is a reckless, but compassionate, guy hell-bent on making the Wraiths pay for taking away his beloved wife and children. Burdened with grief, the multiple phantoms vying for space in his head and feeling like a fraud, Cade is spiralling out of control.

Enter the pri
Tracy
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Bearer's Burden is Book One in the Phantom Pact series by Chad Queen. The story is set in a dystopic world at war. Cade Elegy is a soldier called a 'bearer' who gains strength from forming a pact with phantoms. But sharing your head with the souls of the departed does not come without a cost. That's not Cade's biggest problem, however. Some humans have joined with the enemy, the Wraiths, who invaded Chalice a year ago, and it's up to Cade and Princess Ashlyn to save their world and stop any ...more
Shalini Ayre
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War with the Wraiths has ended. Cade Elegy, Protector of the Realm, returns home excited to reunite with his family. Only, when he arrives, the whole town has mysteriously vanished.

A year later, addicted to ‘Nocturne’, a type of drug that helps Cade handle the many ‘phantoms’ (spirits guides) that exist within his mind, he is on a mission to find out what happened to his wife and two children.

Traveling to less than desirable places, he is careful not to get too close to the ‘The Thread’. An ener
LJ Pruit
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cade Elegy, a former soldier and Protector of the realm, is haunted by the phantoms of his dead children and wife. Well, more than that, he’s bonded to them, at least his children. Cade is a Bearer, a sort of warrior monk, trained in the art of using the spirits of the dead to encode, or bond his body with various elements, turning their strengths into his own. Too bad the whole process takes its toll out on him, and the only thing that can help him keep his sanity is a dwindling supply of a dru ...more
Keely Pitts
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
In The Bearer's Burden, Cade Elegy is a war veteran who returns from battle abroad to find his family vanished, his mind literally plagued by phantom voices, and the world around him increasingly withering away. Recruited by Princess Ashlyn to help solve the mysterious murder of her uncle, the duo sets out on a quest and discovers that the war is not over with the Wraiths, an insect-like alien race.
The book is filled with tons of action, often reading like a futuristic, military-operative video
Veronica
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Bearer’s Burden starts off with a bang. In the middle of a war our protagonist Cade fights alongside his fellow soldiers against the Wraith, which are alien like creatures. Believing that their victory on the battle field has ended the war and blood spread, Cade returns to his village and his wife and children only to discover his city is destroyed and his family killed. A year passes, and Cade is still looking for answers to who or what took everything for him, but the more he looks the mor ...more
KarynH
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
his futuristic fictional work by Chad Queen certainly meets my idea of what sense of duty really means. This book contained the level of action I expected in a book of this standard. When you read a book that meets your expectation and ideas, there is this form of connection you have with this book. I felt really connected to this book, which each line I read, there was this desire to read on. This book is definitely an interesting book to read for lovers of sci-fi.
The cover of this 428 pages is
Jessie Hayes
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written and detailed book about a man’s quest to find the lost, revenge, avenge, serve justice and help solve a murder brought to him by a princess. The extreme sci-fi nature of the book is sure to draw anyone in that genre in. The excitement and changes didn’t stop in any way and it kept you guessing with what would happen next.
SPOILER ALERT: Once the ancient technology connection with Eos was established the story got really interesting. The connections lead him to the righ
Lindsay
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

Oh man. So, I'm sure if you've read any of the reviews, it's already obvious to you that this is an impressive debut for an author. There really isn't a whole lot I can say that hasn't already been said, but I'll do my best to sum up my feelings here.

This is a phenomenal start to a series, there's no doubt. I certainly have more questions than answers at this point, but I don't feel like I've been left hanging. The world building! This is exactly what I look for in a sci-fi story. The c
Katherine Hebert
A solid sci-fi book

The Bearer’s Burden begins with Cade Elegy fighting in a war and coming home to find the entire town, including his family, has gone missing. He then realizes that the war he previously battled in is not really over. He begins to communicate with spirits who assist him in these new battleship. There are several supporting characters with mini plot lines, including Princess Ashlyn who is seeking his help in her Uncle’s death.

The story itself is pretty fast paced with lots of a
Charlie Latham
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I planned on reading a chapter or two and ended up just tearing this book apart.

A magical world filled with death, despair, love, hate and the unknown of what will come in the future.

Not once could I guess what was coming or about to happen and I was kept surprised the entire way through. Just what you want from this kind of book.

The fantasy themes within this book reference mental illnesses and the effect that they often have hidden behind closed doors.

Just wait until the end to find out th
Lauren
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fast-paced adventure of The Bearers Burden is clearly written with buckets of creativity. Chad Queen, the author obviously has a brilliant imagination that results in the creation of these captivating books. Chad Queen has formed characters made from strength and afflictions with a skin of mystery. The character Cade Elegy delves into a mission to find his missing family along with the people of his town. His particular talents attract the attention of princess Ashlyn who is also seeking ans ...more
NiteHaze
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic debut for Chad Queen It reads like a love child between Brandon Sanderson's Way of the Kings (Stormlight Archive) and Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood (Powder Mage) Which is one of the greatest compliment I can give to an up and coming author

I also respect the extra effort of releasing it as an audiobook
Shelby
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stellar

I got a digital copy of this from a good reads giveaway and it was fantastic. It’s a good mix of fantasy and sci-fi with an interesting premise and enjoyable characters. I can’t wait for another installment if there is one!
Myra Wray
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have found this story to be sweet. I would not mind reading more in this series. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy.
Mary
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I've always loved the genre. It is a good and interesting read.
Indiebrag
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that THE BEARER'S BURDEN (Phantom Pact #1) by Chad Queen is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Kevin Wardrop
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Slow starter, but once it builds up steam it's an intriguing world. I hope that I can read the sequel soon
Polin Morrison fell
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was hooked all the way through! I really enjoyed the metaphysical aspects of the phantom pact and Cade’s journey as a bearer. All in all, a great level of suspense and action!
Jessica Jewel
Nov 23, 2018
Amanda Robeson
Jun 26, 2018
Kian
rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2019
  • The Alliance (The Evox Chronicles #1)
  • Blind Allegiance to Sarah Palin: A Memoir of Our Tumultuous Years
  • Le Déchronologue
  • On the Path to Enlightenment: Heart Advice from the Great Tibetan Masters
  • The Almost True Story of Ryan Fisher
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • The Bitter Twins (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #2)
  • My Name Is Russell Fink
  • The Year of Living like Jesus: My Journey of Discovering What Jesus Would Really Do
  • Angel Fall
  • Live It!: Achieve Success by Living with Purpose
  • Devil's Night Dawning (Broken Stone Chronicle, #1)
  • Mordecai (The Riven Gates, #1)
  • The Divine Magician: The Disappearance of Religion and the Discovery of Faith
  • Produced by Faith: Enjoy Real Success Without Losing Your True Self
  • A Prayer for the Necromancer (The Shinigami Tomes, #1)
  • Every Bush Is Burning