Start by marking “Façade” as Want to Read:
Façade

Façade

(Timeless Love)

A reclusive academic
who would do anything to save her brother.

A reluctant spy
willing to risk his life to save the woman who broke his heart.

Olivia Rakes has the unique gift of observation, which suits her well since she prefers her books over the general populace, but when her brother goes MIA over France, Livy’s unique skills and her determination to save her brother forc
Published May 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Façade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Façade

Start your review of Façade
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pepper Basham takes on an intriguing take of espionage in this novella set in World War II. I don't believe the average person has any idea what went on in this war behind the scenes that saved countless lives. Admirable job in this one from an author I have come to love!

I received a complimentary copy of this book which in no way influenced my review.
Hannah
This was an intriguing and absorbing WW2 spy novella. I loved the characters and the tension, but I wasn't too crazy about the bordello-type stuff and the related innuendo. Cute story for older readers.
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
What a rollercoaster ride this story took me on in the middle of WWII France with two spies who have a second chance romance, once they untangled the miscommunications that ended their friendship. My eyes were opened to the sacrifices of the citizens during the turbulent and uncertain times of war, and made me even more thankful for those that risk and give their lives for the cause of freedom.

(I received a complimentary copy of the book; all opinions in this review are my own)
Denise Hershberger
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this fabulous novella! For so few pages I almost felt I'd read a whole book!

I loved the spy world in this book. I've always been intrigued by the men and women who serve as spies and live duplicitous lives. This story had some great surprises and some intense moments that left me wondering how Livy was going to manage. And I fell completely in love with Christopher! I loved his catchphrase he almost always used to announce himself.

If you've read Basham's books before then you'l
Susan
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This fast-paced espionage novella is a delightful read, filled with a great combination of danger and romance. This is my first historical read by Pepper Bashum. Even though this story of undercover spies in German occupied France could be serious at times, it was still filled with the witty banter and romance Bashum readers have come to expect in her contemporary novels.

Courtney Clark
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As always, I LOVED it! Pepper can write ANY sub-genre of Christian fiction and wonderfully pair it with romance!

Facade is a fast-paced novella with a sweet romance and tense WWII intrigue plot. The friendship-turned-romance allows for depth and plenty of banter, the development of which is perfectly timed for tension with the spy happenings. It's a must-read for historical romance lovers. Longer review to come.
Beth Erin
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully quirky, completely intriguing, and sweetly romantic! (full review coming soon)

I read an advance reader copy of this story. No review was required. The opinions expressed are my own.
Rebecca
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Her eyes had always been his downfall - the mirror into the soul she fisted behind books and isolation."

Christopher Dawson doesn't know whether or not his heart can survive another encounter with "Livy" Rakes; she broke his heart three years ago with her quickly announced engagement to another man, and like a romantic coward, Christopher fled to join the ranks of "operative" in Britain's elite Special Operations unit; plainly put, he became a spy. Now their country needs Olivia's unique set of
Inspirationalfictionreader
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pepper Basham has just moved right to the top of my list of favorite authors. Her books are just that good. She writes some of the best characters. Characters that are sure to stick with you for a long time. Likeable characters. Memorable characters. Just plain awesome characters.
She also writes the best novellas. They never feel too rushed, too short, or incomplete. Her pacing is perfect.

Facade is such an interesting story. It is full of intrigue and spying and it has one of my favorite story
Suzie Waltner
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pepper Basham takes on World War II and the role of British spies in this one. And what a fantastic ride she takes readers on!

With the things we love about Basham’s writing (ahem, those kissing scenes, anyone?) and the addition of the intrigue and action, Façade is a story you have to read!

There are so many things I love about this story. The heroine’s abilities and intelligence are fantastic but her naiveté when it comes to matters of the heart makes her likable. The hero is strong and an excel
Angi G.
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pepper Basham is proving that she can write in multiple genres and make it look easy. Her latest book (a novella), “Façade” includes action, intrigue, and romance that is dropped into a WWll setting in German-occupied France.
When her brother goes missing overseas, Olivia Rakes reluctantly finds herself working with Christopher Dawson, a man from her past. Through danger and espionage, Livy and Christopher must come to terms with each other, ultimately putting their lives as well as their hearts
Becky Smith
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the first chapter, and even the opening line, I was completely engrossed in this story and could not put it down! It is full of intrigue, with breath-holding suspense; and I could almost actually feel the danger that was constantly lurking everywhere. The setting of WW II, the espionage with all of its tools, and the history in & behind this story make this a fascinating read! The twists caught me by surprise! Even though I had hoped for one of them, I had given up that hope it would happe ...more
Ashley
I've read a couple of Pepper Basham's contemporary novels and loved them, so I was excited for her new novella set during my favorite time period of World War II. Facade did not disappoint. It was so good and once I reached the middle I could not put it down.

There was danger, intrigue, suspense, and such a great romance. I found all the spy stuff super interesting and one of my favorite aspects of the story.

Livy and Christopher were wonderful characters. Livy's super relatable and easy to like.
Amy
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascade is a great historical novella by Pepper Basham. She has the talent of writing stories from various genres and this time she tackles the World War II era. I enjoyed the suspense, action, adventure, and, of course, the romance.

Fascade is most definitely a story not to be missed. I give it 4 1/2 stars.

I received this book from the author, but was not required to write a review.
PAMpublish
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the author's style of flowing descriptive analogies in this spy-romance thriller of WWII. Coupled with an ex-love whose mission is to free the main character's Livy's pilot brother from Nazi detainment in France, maintains one's interests throughout. Although not quite realistic in parts and could have been another ten chapters longer, the main spy character's past relationship together delves into their dedication to one another during extreme times of danger and heightens the emotion s ...more
Rachel McMillan
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
review to come
Trisha
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon ❤️
Toni Shiloh
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and all it's goodness.
Anne
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
As always, Basham exceeded my expectations with an exciting and romantic story set during WWII in German-occupied France. Livy and Christopher have a history together which creates delicious tension and dazzling moments between them. ;-)

Fans of this genre will undoubtedly enjoy Façade. It is a fast-paced, hard-to-put-down novella. I received a complimentary copy from the author but was not required to write a review. I pre-ordered the book, as well.
Rebekah Millet
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Espionage, romance, suspense. What a page-turner this novella was! I was immediately swept up in Pepper Basham’s historical novella set against WWII. Everything Pepper’s written I’ve adored, and this is no different. Can’t wait to see what she comes up with next.
Susan L. Tuttle
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately pulled into this book from the very first page. I loved the intrigue that Basham added into her story, using the background of spies during the war as her setting. You could tell she'd done her research which only enriched the characters' stories. As I've come to expect, her plot moved a pace that kept me flipping pages. Between her leads' chemistry and the mission they'd embarked on, I couldn't wait to see what happened next. They were definitely two people I rooted for on man ...more
Winnie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy picking up a Pepper Basham book, because I know I’m in for a treat. Whether it be historical fiction or contemporary, she knows how to draw me in and keep me reading. Of course, it helps that there’s always some romance thrown in. Well, make that a LOT of romance thrown in.

With a setting in England and France during World War II, a quirky heroine and dashing hero, and a spying mission to perform, this book is entertaining and captivating. The characters are vividly drawn and ende
Andi
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: empty-shelf-2018
This is a quirky fun novella. As with all of Ms. Basham's books to date she creates great dialogue, interesting characters with a sweet romance. This intriguing novella is set during WWII with a spy espionage plot. It moves along at a nice pace, not too fast or slow. There were some surprises that had me holding my breath wondering how Livy was going to get herself out of situations.

This is a novella that is apart of the Timeless Love Collection. Look for my upcoming review of all the books in t
Nicole
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Award winning author Pepper Basham’s historical fiction novella Facade tells the story of British spy Livy Rakes and her search to find her missing brother who was captured by the Germans in France during World War II. Basham takes us back to the 1940s and tells the story of Livy and fellow spy and childhood friend Christopher Dawson as they use their espionage skills and enter a world of danger in order to complete their mission and an opportunity for romance and finding true love. This is such ...more
Ruth Jessen
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What lies beneath...

A fantastic telling of WWII espionage. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll cheer! What is better than unrequited love, mystery, justice, and espionage? Well written characters and the scenes are so well written you'll be in the book with the characters.
Coco.V
Feb 10, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (2/10/2020)! 🎁
Cindy Nipper
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FAÇADE by Pepper D. Basham
Definitely not my preferred genre, but an exciting spy book!  It has a war, time period, like I enjoy, but very little to do with war, with the exception of the enemies they come into contact with!
Ellen White
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good look at WW I I. the missing, the espionage giving one a behind the scene look
Debbie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had a bit of difficulty getting into this book because I am so used to reading books based back in the 1800s or even earlier. But I decided the author deserved my attention and didn't give up. I'm so glad I didn't. The characters are well-devloped and the plot so interesting and well researched.

I really liked the H/h both. The descriptions of the characters, scenes and all was very nice and brought you right into the whole book like you were really there. I believe you would like this book an
Craig Megorden
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I enjoyed the way the characters grew as the story progressed. I Also enjoyed the descriptions of the particular era.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bookishly Ever After (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #1)
  • Take a Chance on Me (A Misty River Romance #0.5)
  • Whose Waves These Are (Whose Waves These Are, #1)
  • The Edge of Mercy
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Stay with Me (A Misty River Romance, #1)
  • Enchanting Nicholette
  • Flights of Fancy (American Heiresses, #1)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • The Curse of Misty Wayfair
  • Royally Yours
  • Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance, #3)
  • Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • The Christmas Heirloom: Four Holiday Novellas of Love Through the Generations
  • Up from the Sea (Whose Waves These Are, #0.5)
  • Breach of Trust (Atlanta Justice, #3)
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • Far Side of the Sea
Pepper D Basham has been telling tales ever since she was a little girl. When her grandmother called her a “writer” at the age of ten, Pepper took it as gospel and has enjoyed various types of writing styles ever since. A native of the Blue Ridge Mountains, mom of five, speech-language pathologist, and lover of chocolate, Pepper enjoys sprinkling her native Appalachian culture into her fiction whe ...more

Timeless Love (7 books)
  • Give Me Thine Heart
  • This Freedom Journey (Heart of the Mountains, #3)
  • The Heart of Home
  • Enchanting Nicholette
  • Teach Me To Love (Brothers of Belle Fourche #1)
  • Bookishly Ever After (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #1)