Start by marking “101 Things I Learned in Urban Design School” as Want to Read:
101 Things I Learned in Urban Design School

101 Things I Learned in Urban Design School

(101 Things I Learned)

Providing unique, accessible lessons on urban design, this title in the bestselling 101 Things I Learned® series is a perfect resource for students, recent graduates, general readers, and even seasoned professionals.

Students of urban design often find themselves lost between books that are either highly academic or overly formulaic, leaving them with few tangible tools
Published April 3rd 2018 by Three Rivers Press

To ask other readers questions about 101 Things I Learned in Urban Design School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Things I Learned in Urban Design School

Start your review of 101 Things I Learned in Urban Design School
Xia
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More densely packed with more USEFUL information than I imagined. The book itself is a compact, complex successful urban design. And should be any design-minded person's library staple. ...more
S.
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: archi-stuff, rmtd
Studio life is all about learning by doing. There are no a priori just random facts, and issues thrown at you as you dodge the fatal coup ! By design : there is no perfect urban design, which is one great opportunity to experiment your wildest ideas (and hope you get away with it).

But a safe design is ultimately human-centred, combining both form and function. This book sums this a little bit abstract fact and represent it in a funny format with visuals to help anyone :
1- Understand Urban Desig
Gregory
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very quick read. Great introduction to the field. I read it over the course of a few hours on a train ride.
Jesse Richards
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite design books and I recommend it to others often. I love urban design, but this book is also amazing for graphic designers, product designers, illustrators, and any visual artist since many of the design principles carry through. It's also just a fascinating study of what cities are and how they work, even for the non-designer. The book itself is beautifully designed, with every right-hand page holding only a paragraph or two about a principle, and its facing page showi ...more
Ayo
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very concise and thought provoking. Very easy to read.
Shelby Mistor
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bite-sized insights into the thought and process behind urban design. As someone going into Urban Studies, I thoroughly enjoyed this quick read. Some of it is specific, practical design principles (ratios, layouts), and some of it is big idea/creative advice (problem-solving tips, inspiring quotes). This is a great read for both those who work in urban design and anyone who is curious about how much thought goes into the cities we dwell in.
Farouk
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book to teach urban design for architects. Easy to read and understand with a lot of sketches. Unfortunately it is only dedicated to western cities. It could be completed with other kind of cities such as near and far east cities. Arabic medinah could be a good example to be added for a variety of approach for human kind.
Pía López Copetti
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick way to learn the basics of Urban Design. Clear, straight to the point, and most likely prone to engage you to research more about this topic.
Katherine
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design, non-fiction
Easily digestible but insightful and delightful. Great intro to the subject area!
Louis Prosperi
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
One more great volume in this great series.
Silvia Tavares
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very useful and straight to the point advice about urban design.
This is not meant to be an academic text book, as it just outlines key concepts and ideas without going any deeper or explaining precedents and referencing key authors. Still, the little visuals are a good way to represent, understand and remember how the key ideas about urbanism and urban design take place in space.
I wish all my students got this in their first year.
Aman Negi
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book although I personally am neither an architect nor a designer however found a lot of principles have interdisciplinary applicability.

The book is written in a very simple, compact and crisp way.

Would recommend it to anyone who is interested in knowing how urban design and cities function and how the design principles can be used in other aspects of life both work and personal.
Wren Hess
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-studies
Read as a gift from my parents as I'm considering going to grad school for urban planning or design, it gave me an idea of the ways of thinking I'd use in these fields, and the differences between them. It also reflects the kind of urban studies I had in undergrad: the city should be by and for the people, it should work and it can (and should) be a little bit beautiful. Great, quick overview of urban design and great illustrations. ...more
Shichan Shen
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As an architecture graduate who has barely touched on urban design during the course of my degree, I find this guide extremely useful in giving me the necessary information I need to start on an urban design project.
Dave
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book met expectations I guess since it was approachable (not overly technical) but there were times that I was wishing for a few examples of the axioms presented that would have shown how designers did a good job with the principle.
Sivakumar Thangavelu
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read! Anyone who is part of the design and construction industry should read this short book.
Robin
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good, but not as good as the original one.
Ed
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Quick interesting read

I read this for the game Cities:Skylines. it's a fun read and useful! Definitely going to revisit my bookmarks in this quick read
Obeida Takriti
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
بعض الأفكار بسيطة أو بديهية..
لكن هناك بعض الأفكار الممتعة والمثيرة للاهتمام..
مدخل جميل للمهتمين بمجال التصميم المدني..
Stephane
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Probably my favorite of the series so far. Some interesting insights, even though i'm not an Urban designer ...more
Celine Li
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Happy City: Transforming Our Lives Through Urban Design
  • The Image of the City
  • The Death and Life of Great American Cities
  • The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon: Fascinating, Bizarre, and True Health Stories
  • Thinking Architecture
  • Why We Drive: Toward a Philosophy of the Open Road
  • Sidewalk
  • The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About Books: The History and Future of Reading
  • How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe
  • Building Community: New Apartment Architecture
  • Streetfight: Handbook for an Urban Revolution
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

101 Things I Learned (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School