Start by marking “Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)

Wrath of Empire

(Gods of Blood and Powder #2)

War ignites when magic and gunpowder combine in the second book in acclaimed author Brian McClellan's epic new fantasy series Gods of Blood and Powder.

The country is in turmoil. With the capital city occupied, half a million refugees are on the march, looking for safety on the frontier, accompanied by Lady Flint's soldiers. But escaping war is never easy, and soon the
Published December 4th 2018 by Orbit (first published May 15th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Wrath of Empire, please sign up.
Evan Morgan In a post on his website from February 15th, Brian states that the book comes out three months from the time of the post's writing, so it will be…moreIn a post on his website from February 15th, Brian states that the book comes out three months from the time of the post's writing, so it will be released May 15th. An extreme bummer since I absolutely love Brian's books and don't want to wait for much longer!(less)

Start your review of Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
Petrik
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible character development given to Ben Styke and Michel; a bit conflicted regarding Vlora’s. Wrath of Empire sets up the stage nicely for the hopefully satisfying conclusion of the series.

I’ve mentioned in my review of Sins of Empire that the hype and the positive reviews for both Sins of Empire and Wrath of Empire were the main reason why I ended up giving this trilogy a go. Seeing that I absolutely loved Sins of Empire, I was excited to hear from everyone that Wrath of Empire, Brian
Terence
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Landfall has fallen. The Dynize have taken over and are bringing in their armies. Lady Vlora Flint and Ben Styke are fleeing with their troops while protecting the refugees. Michel Bravis remains in Landfall attempting to help refugees escape the city. The Red Hand and his forces have enacted a plan that will require Vlora, Ben, Michel, and their allies to do their part and perhaps end the Dynize threat for good.

Wrath of Empire is a solid sequel to Sins of Empire. Anyone who has read the Powder
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/05/31/...

It’s good to see Brian McClellan’s second trilogy is coming along nicely. Wrath of Empire is the second installment of Gods of Blood and Powder, which picks up from the end of Sins of Empire, so bear in mind this review may contain possible spoilers for the first book if you aren’t caught up yet. In this sequel, the author continues to develop one of the major plot points from the previous novel concerning the ancient,
Jon Adams
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This didn't feel like a 639 page book. The action occasionally let's up just enough for you to breathe. Excellent.
Kaitlin
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this one was just great! I really enjoyed reading the second instalment in the series (or rather audio-booking it) and I have to say this one is definitely not falling into any second-book pitfalls...it's fab!

What I love about this one is that it felt fast. All of the PoV characters are ones we already know and love from the first book and so we instantly set off the story on a good pace and that is maintained throughout the whole thing. Again this book is focusing on a very
Bookwraiths
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Amazing book. Full review to come.
Silvana
I have always enjoyed Brian McClellan's writing and this book is a testament on how he has grown as a writer. It seems that he actually listened to his readers and gave us what we want. McClellan is a master storyteller. His plots are tight, intricately designed. His POV characters are very layered and will make you root for them.
Wrath of Empire does not feel like a 600 page book. Unlike some fantasy tomes, it barely has any fillers in it. The pacing, oh my, the pacing is just right. It makes a
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘He was upon them in a blink of an eye, his sword moving like wings of a hummingbird, soldiers collapsing as he passed like some kind of avatar of death sweeping his scythe through the souls of the damned.’
~
Wrath of Empire by @brian.mcclellan is the second book in the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy, and was definitely a worthy sequel. Once again McClellan enriches the story from the first book, but also makes his characters grow in such a fantastic way.
~
Mad Ben Styke was one of my favourites,
Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski
Really good middle book. The conflict escalates and characters grow very nicely. Ben Styke at the moment is one of my favourites. There are some surprises and twists which I wont get into because of spoilers but ill just say that some badass characters from the first trilogy come back:)
Good setup for the final book which I will be reading as soon as its available in Poland.
Solid 4 stars.
Andy
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picks up where the last book left of in the aftermath of the Dynize landings & assault.

The style is POV (as always) & within a few short chapters I was acclimatised with the story having struggled to remember at the start the prior book (age I guess!?) what had occurred prior to our point of entry.

General Flint (Flora) is still front & centre of everything along with her man Colonel Olem as is Ben Styke of the Mad lancers, who became a favourite from the first book for me as all the
Solseit
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are authors with the ability to whisk me away in less than a chapter. Brian McClellan (I wonder if related to the Union general) is amongst them.

He has an ability to tell you a story that is complex and compelling and he locks you in since the very beginning. He can also create characters that, despite being horrible monsters and killers, you care and cheer for.

Just an impressive continuation to Sins of Empire. So many angles, so many stories uncovered and some returns to the scenes that
Mark
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An non stop action spectacular fantasy story from an author at the height of his storytelling skills.

Good strong female characters and excellent characters maturing as the story goes along.

Brian to me is the best grimdark gunpowder fantasy author we have at the moment.
Lee
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Whilst I did like the Powder Mage series, at times it did lose me. This series however, is, in my opinion, the best that McClellan has written.
Probably one of my favourite book 2's. The pace of the story was just a constant roller coaster ride, with little time to come down and take a breath. I sometimes find that alternating chapters from 3 points of view can make a story a bit disjointed as it takes you out of the arc that you are in. Not so in this story; all three perspectives were
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 3.75
Book 2: 3.75

3.75 is the rarest of my ratings. A 3.5 is probably the most common and I always round down. With a 3.75 I just can't give it a 3* but still don't believe it deserves a four.

This is a good series. The problem is its competing against it's predecessor. The characters in this series lack the personality of Tamas, Adom and Adamant along with a lot of the antagonists. They're good characters just not great ones.

Because of that these two books have never had that frantic
Nadine
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What is there to say about Wrath of Empire without turning into a fangirling mess? Like the previous novel, Sins of Empire, McClellan storytelling is masterful in its character development, plotting, and pacing.

Before moving any further with my praise for Wrath of Empire, I will say the book does suffer slightly from second book syndrome. Wrath of Empire is very much a means to an end book for most of the characters, especially Ben. This, however, does not hinder enjoyment of this book at
Esme
I loved Sins of Empire, if you haven’t read that one yet I would read that review/book first before reading this review as there will be spoilers for Sins of Empire. I listened to this via audiobook and received it via NetGalley/Orbit – thank you! Spelling goes out the window with audiobooks, so, keep that in mind.

This book picks up where the last one left off – the Dioneyes are invading Fatrasta with a mind to take back their old city, and find their lost artefacts – the most important being
Rob
Executive Summary: Another excellent book by Mr. McClellan. The first trilogy was good, but this one is so much better so far.

Audiobook: Christian Rodska does another excellent job with this book. He does a variety of voices and accents that really give the audio version that extra something that makes this series a must listen for me.

Full Review
When I reviewed Sins of Empire last year, I called it Brian McClellan's best book to date. If this book isn't better than that one, it's a very close
Olga
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, physical
I loved everything about this book! I need book 3 ...more
Ceki
Oct 20, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
OMG the cover is so beautiful! *_*
Orhan Capas
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great unique story is being continued with awesome author skills. I was waiting this book with enthusiasm and rewarded with awesome reading. I do not remember getting bored in any character pov or chapter. Brian McClellan produced this world of magic and technology developing in their unique pace.
Andrew
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review also at The Quill to Live, come check us out!

This week I have returned to Brian McClellan’s series, Gods of Blood and Powder, to talk about the soon to be released second book – Wrath of Empire. The numeration of the series is starting to feel a little confusing, as this is the second book in the second series and the fifth book overall. However, the important thing to know is that Wrath of Empire continues both the story from, Sins of Empire
C.P. Cabaniss
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This may be more in the 3.5 star range. It was good, but I don't think I liked it quite as much as Sins of Empire.

If you haven't read Brian McCellan's original Powder Mage trilogy (which starts with Promise of Blood), I recommend that you do so now. Once you've finished those, move right into this series. It really is excellent.

While I enjoyed this installment in the series, the pacing was quite as good as it was in the previous book. Things dragged much more than I am used to in a McClellan
Skylar Phelps
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t say enough good things about these Powder Mage books. Trust me, you ought to check them out.

Wrath of Empire, in particular, had a number of scenes/moments that impacted me more than I would have expected. The high caliber storytelling blended with memorable characters makes this book a real stand out.

5 Stars
Suzanne
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fantasy
This series is so good. In this installment we follow three story-lines and they were all strong, as were the characters. The author ended the book in a good place - not a horrible cliffhanger, but events at the last made me super anxious for book three!!

Reggie Kray
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God damn it! What a climax! A fucking superb addition to the PMU! I suppose I need to repurchase the first volume and give it a thorough reading. Highly Recommended!
Steffan
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 stars
This book is just as great as sins of empire and i don't think i can stand to wait another year for the last one to come out.
Rebecca
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, Wrath of Empire was one of my most anticipated books of 2018. I absolutely loved the return to the Powder Mage world in Sins of Empire and knew this would be a stellar follow up. Hands down, this book was at least equivalent to Sins of Empire and as soon as I finished reading I started checking on the status of the third book. 10/10 would read again. And again, but definitely in audio because Christian Rodska has a gloriously perfect voice for these characters.

Since the Dynize
Bogdan
Amazing second book in the newest series from the master of fantasy & powdermagery Brian McClellan.

I`m very glad that he hasn`t lost the inspiration and the story goes from better to excellent and beyond. I was afraid that I will not remember some of the stuff from the previous volumes but it really wasn`t the case here.

The old characters and also the new ones are very intrigued and well defined, the story has, most of the times, an alert pace to it, and we have a lot of battles, intrigues
Kristobelle
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*A Kristobelle's Top Tenner of 2018*

Styke is the perfect example of how an author can continually level up in character creation. It's astonishing how good McClellan has become since the beginning of PM.

I quite liked PM, but this series is possibly (if book #3 isn't a disaster!) one of my faves of all time.
Christopher
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

• The Empire of Ashes (The Draconis Memoria, #3)
  • Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Infernal Battalion (The Shadow Campaigns, #5)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer #5)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
  • Bloody Rose (The Band, #2)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • Foundryside (Founders, #1)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
Brian McClellan is an American epic fantasy author from Cleveland, Ohio. He is known for his acclaimed Powder Mage Universe and essays on the life and business of being a writer.

Brian now lives on the side of a mountain in Utah with his wife, Michele, where he writes books and nurses a crippling video game addiction.

Brian's novels include the Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, The Crimson

Gods of Blood and Powder (3 books)
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)