Start by marking “Table For Eight” as Want to Read:
Table For Eight

Table For Eight

Bestselling author and master storyteller Tricia Stringer tackles troubled relationships, second chances and love old and new in this uplifting story of unlikely dining companions thrown together on a glamorous cruise. Readers of Liz Byrski, Monica McInerney, and Rachael Johns will love this book.

A cruise – no matter how magical – can't change your life. Can it…? Clever,
Published September 24th 2018 by HQ Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Table For Eight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Table For Eight

Kylie D
A fun read that sees Ketty, a fashion designer, go on a cruise from Sydney to the South Pacific islands. This is the last voyage of her favourite ship, the Diamond Duchess, and possibly her last cruise as well as her business isn't doing so well. Her old friend Carlos is maitre d' in the dining room and he seats her at a table with eight people, hence the book's title. Her dining companions are a varied bunch, all with their own reasons for cruising and some with their own agendas. As we meander ...more
Brenda
Stepping aboard the Diamond Duchess at the dock in Sydney, Ketty Clift felt the familiar excitement of embarking on a cruise. Ketty had been on quite a few over the years, and although leaving her business, Ketty Clift Couture, in the hands of her staff for the next ten days, Ketty knew she needed to consider her business’ future. This cruise was the final for the Diamond Duchess, and probably Ketty’s as well.

Ketty was greeted at the dining room that evening by maitre d' Carlos, now a dear frien
Veronica ⭐️
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
Ketty Clift loves cruising and helping people so naturally she combines the two on her numerous cruises.
Ketty’s fashion design business has taken a recent downturn and she had thoughts of cancelling her cruise on the Diamond Duchess’s farewell voyage but it seemed fitting that what may be her last cruise is also the last voyage for this magnificent ship.

Ketty loves to observe people and her table of eight each night for dinner id the perfect opportunity t
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Take a trip across the high seas from Sydney and sail to the Pacific region with Tricia Stringer, a much valued Australian storyteller. Table for Eight is Stringer’s latest read and it is pleasing to see Stringer, an author I have followed closely since her first release, branch further afield. Table for Eight is set on a cruise liner, the ‘Diamond Duchess’, which is a complete change from Stringer’s usual rural based settings. Time spent with the delightful
Kylie H
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, netgalley
Having finished this book I feel like I have just got back from a cruise and met a lot of new people. This story revolves around Ketty, a fashion designer who is about to turn 65 and treats herself to a cruise, her favourite way to holiday. At dinner she is seated at a table for eight and meets a group of people, each carrying their own baggage. As they all get to know each other some ugly untruths surface that bring several very personal issues to a head. Jim is a grieving widower, literally fe ...more
Claire
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5***** This book was slow to grow on me, but all of a sudden I was completely absorbed in the lives going on on this cruise ship. The characters were all so different, there were a few at the beginning that I wasn't keen on but throughout the story all but one grew on me and I was delighted in following their journey. Ketty was a wonderful character who bound everyone together and throughout the cruise underwent some changes she had not expected, I was really hoping for a particular outcome fo ...more
Helen
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of MS Stringer’s that I have read and I need to remedy that, this is a fabulous story, a story set on a cruise ship sailing out of Sydney and as it happens I read this one while on a cruise that sailed from Sydney, this is the story of fashion designer Ketty Clift, who has sailed on quite a few cruises and makes friends with the people she shares her dinner table with, more than friends really she has such a generous nature that she helps people, but this cruise on the Dia ...more
Nicole
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The queen of rural fiction, Tricia Stringer, is back with her first contemporary novel, Table For Eight. If you are in desperate need of a hoiday, this is one to get your hands on as Stringer takes readers aboard the Diamond Duchess for her final voyage in the South Pacific. Told in the third person, this is a story about friendship, family, starting over and running away from your problems with a perfect cast of characters.

The main protagonist is the gorgeous Ketty Clift, a single woman in her
Jase Cordova

In my pre-children years I worked at Club Med on an island in the Whitsundays. My days were spent looking after children at the kids club, and my nights were spent mingling with their parents and the other guests. We got to know the guests through dining with them (compulsory and I’m sorry to every person I ever sat my plate down next to), saying hello as we made our way around the island, and joining them for activities in our spare time. I made some incredible memories there, and I’ll
Helen
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“What would life be like without the anticipation of another cruise?”

Table for Eight by Australian author Tricia Stringer is a most enjoyable read, especially for those of you who have any interest in cruising - either been or wishing to venture on one. Having cruised myself, I simply adored reading about so many aspects that were familiar to the cruising holiday. Everything from the running of the ship, to activities (both on and off board), to the people you would meet. I felt so many happy me
Pam Tickner
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Better Reading and Harlequin Enterprises for the advanced reading copy of this book. An easy to read romance story set on a cruise ship out of Sydney going to the South Pacific. Initially the book reads like a travel brochure for a cruise liner as every facet of boarding a ship is pointed out and didn't enhance the story for me, but once we are introduced to the central eight characters, the story picks up and is enjoyable despite several unpleasant protagonists.
Kathryn
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded to 4.
Table for Eight by Tricia Stringer is the story of eight people who dine each evening aboard a cruise ship. Their lives, interactions, relationships, longings are all explored as they cruise from Australia around the Pacific Islands.

There is Ketty - a business owner who has a small fashion house - she is a mature woman just turning sixty five. As well there is her friend Josie and Josie's brother. It turns out that he has his eye on Ketty, but are his reasons above board?

A
Jessica
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I absolutely loved this book!! The whole time I was reading it I felt like I was on the cruise with the characters. Thank you for this wonderful book Tricia Stringer.
Kerrie Paterson
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely delightful story set on board a cruise with a variety of skillfully drawn characters. Would definitely recommend to lovers of women's fiction!
SF Carnes
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I was going to give this book 3 stars, but on finishing it, I realised that even though it's not my style, I really did care about the characters too much to put it aside.
AH
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tricia Stringer takes you on a cruise full of vivid characters. She handles the characters and their domestic lives with heartwarming care. You cannot help but care for them as well. Their limitations and struggles are so relatable. The simple prose used by Stringer when dealing with such difficult issues like grief, makes the story fluid. I could not put the book down. A beautiful book about people and their lives.
Julie Garner
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fiction
I really enjoyed reading this book and discovering all the characters within. What I think I enjoyed most is the emotions that the author made me feel, from sadness to anger. A whole range throughout the book.
We follow a table of eight people who have Ben put together for dinner on a cruise to the South Pacific. They are all there for one reason or another, beyond just a simple holiday. It is through knowing one another that these 10 days change all of their lives.
Having been on a cruise earlier
Jennifer Larmar
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A talented haute couture stylist on a mission to change lives, one luxury cruise at a time...

Ketty Clift has a fascinating talent. Not only is she a high-end couturier in the charming Sydney suburb of Paddington, but she also has the ability to transform dreary lives into Cinderella-like transformations thanks to her clever styling abilities as well as an uncanny knack in the art of matchmaking. She’s an avid cruise enthusiast, although unfortunately this latest trip around the South Pacific Isl
Eleni Konstantine
What a charming and delightful tale. We follow the passengers who are all seated at the same table for dinner during the final voyage of the 'Diamond Duchess' which leaves Sydney on a 9 day cruise.

Kerry Clifton is the main protagonist and is a veteran at cruising. She has a friendship with the maitre d' who likes to put her on tables with people who need a bit of 'help' in their lives in one way or another. Ketty's generous spirit is usually what these people need, but this time things may be d
Stacey Houllis
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kitty Clifft 65-year-old a fashion designer, her business is struggling so she decides to take her last holiday trip on the Dutchess Diamond Cruise ship. It is also the ships last voyage as well. Carlos the maitre d' of the ship has known Kitty since her first trip who is retiring after the cruise. The book is based on Kitty's holiday on the ship and the people she meets at her dining table at night which are a table for eight there is Frank and his wife Christine a young couple, her father Bern ...more
Nkisu
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to get sent a few copies of Table of Eight for the Harlequin Book Club. Table of Eight follows the story of 65 year old Ketty, a designer from Sydney, who is embarking on her last hurrah—a 12 day cruise around the Pacific. On the cruise we meet some strangers, who’s stories we follow throughout the book and see how Ketty, despite her own problems, tries to help her newfound friends.

Honestly, this book isn’t something I would usually go for, but I was intrigued by the plot and
Anne Peachey
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I received Table for Eight from Beauty and Lace Book Club to read and do an honest Review.
Table for Eight by Tricia Stringer is an amazing read.
Set on a Cruise Ship, the title describes the Seating arrangement
for the nightly dinner for the guests travelling together.
Most of the guests do not know each other before the start of the cruise,
except for a married couple and her Father.
They are a mixed lot and seemingly not much in common,
but as the story unfolds, the dynamics twist and turn
and bring
Sonia Bellhouse
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
If you’ve indulged in a Pacific cruise Table for Eight could bring back memories. If you haven’t, it will give you an idea of what to expect.
Eight passengers are assigned to the same dinner table. Ketty Clift expects this to be her final cruise, her friend Maître d Carlos has organised who will share her table. Throughout the book, the stories and secrets of the group are revealed.
Bernard a long-term widower with a twinkle in his eye is bent on enjoying himself. His daughter Christine has other
Jessimin
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found it hard to get started with this book - the detailed descriptions of Ketty, her clothing and the author’s idea of style left me thinking that at 25 I may be a few decades younger than the intended audience (but then again I’m not the typical cruise passenger either, and I’ve enjoyed a lot of those) - but I am SO glad I persevered. Table For Eight is a beautiful book, and Tricia Stringer is brilliant at painting a vivid picture. When Ketty first steps onboard, anyone who has ever been on ...more
Lisa
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun holiday read which follows Ketty, a fashion designer from Sydney, going on the last cruise of a cruise ship she has sailed many times. Familiar with the ins and outs of cruising Ketty enjoys seeing staff she has known for many years and getting to know her fellow diners in the main dining room. She enjoys getting to know each diner and sets herself a mission to transform the lives of those she shares dinner with each night. This last cruise she just happens to have a much on her plate!

Thi
Trish
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, lightweight and engaging story on-board the last voyage of a cruise ship. Ketty is on her 21st cruise on her favourite cruise liner.
Supported by Maitre-D Carlos she enjoys opportunities to meet new friends, help them sort their life issues and dreams of finding somebody needing her magic fashionista skills, and providing makeovers.
Ketty is a seamstress who owns her own business in Sydney.
Of course, Ketty hasn't come on board without issues of her own!
A great cast of characters. Somet
AFrica Vazquez
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This booked had me hooked from the beginning! It is atrici’s first novel I ever read, and it has really surprised me! It has also made me go on a cruise really badly!
At the beginning it might seem a bit slow as it focuses more on the description of the main character and the details of the cruise, but once each of the 8 characters start showing up, it’s when it gets interesting and you can’t stop reading!
It is the perfect holiday read, and as I said, it might want to make you book another one on
Kate Loveday
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written and with well drawn characters this is an engaging tale about a diverse group of passengers who share a dinner table on a cruise to the south Pacific. They all have problems of one kind or another, and by the end of the he cruise each of them manages to see the way forward. They are helped in this by Ketty, an haute couture dressmaker from Sydney, who also resolves her own dilemma.
The life on board the ship is accurately portrayed, and this is a nice,easy read. Perfect, in fact, to
CoffeePaperYarn
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a light read, perfect for taking away with you or for when you don't want to have to concentrate too hard on following a twisting and turning plot. I enjoyed it, but did find it somewhat predictable. The best aspect of the book was that it has mature characters, all of whom had to find their way again following significant changes or events in their lives. I also liked that we heard the story from different points of view, as most characters had their own voice. Having been on a cruise a ...more
Melissa Riley
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice easy read, set on a cruise ship with great holiday vibes. The characters were well formed and realistic (and some were down-right loathed by me). There was a good balance of character development and plot.

There were a few things that were a little 'convenient' ((view spoiler) for example) but on the whole it was enjoyable and this didn't effect the reading. The overall tone of the book was feel-good, but there were some sad and heartwrenching topi
« previous 1 3 next »

• Soul Stealer (The Anomaly #3)
  • Dead, Actually
  • The Patterson Girls
  • Three Gold Coins
  • Secrets in Time
  • His Until Midnight
  • The House on Burra Burra Lane (Swallows Fall #1)
  • The Secret Vineyard
  • Nothing to Fear
  • Magical Redemption
  • The Art of Friendship
  • What Matters Most
  • Never Surrender
  • Season of Shadow and Light
  • Shattered Sky (Border Watch #2)
  • Lifer
  • The Woman Next Door
  • The Sunnyvale Girls
Tricia Stringer lives in the Copper Coast region of South Australia with her husband and their assorted animals. This home base has proved a wonderful place to raise their three, now adult, children and has been a starting point for many a family holiday, camping in favourite Flinders Ranges spots or travelling to other states of Australia. She enjoys a variety of crafts and sipping the odd glass ...more