Start by marking “The Quiet You Carry” as Want to Read:

The Quiet You Carry

Victoria Parker knew her dad's behavior toward her was a little unusual, but she convinced herself everything was fine—until she found herself locked out of the house at 3:00 a.m., surrounded by flashing police lights.

Now, dumped into a crowded, chaotic foster home, Victoria has to tiptoe around her domineering foster mother, get through senior year at a new school, and s
Published March 5th 2019 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet You Carry, please sign up.
Nikki Barthelmess That's a great question; thanks so much for asking, Kelly!

That's a great question; thanks so much for asking, Kelly!

I grew up in the Nevada foster care system, living in six different towns in the six years I was in care. I didn't know what foster care was, not really, until I entered the system, and it felt like no one else could possibly understand what I was going through. Even worse, many people judged me, like it was my fault I was in foster care. Like I was a “bad kid.” I felt so unwanted and, sometimes, even hopeless.

As I grew up and started volunteering and mentoring foster youth, I realized I wasn’t alone. There were so many of us. And though our experiences varied widely, we had a lot in common. We were used to people making wrong and often negative assumptions about us, based on poor representation via the news, TV, movies, books, you name it. I wanted to write a story where a foster kid struggles, yes, but also one where she doesn’t give up. One where she refuses to become that negative statistic us foster kids are so often being told we will become.

THE QUIET YOU CARRY isn’t based on me. It’s fiction. But it is partially inspired by circumstances I’ve experienced or have seen in the lives of others. Similarly, THE QUIET YOU CARRY isn’t meant to serve as a one-size-fits all narrative about what it’s like to be in foster care. I hope to see many, many more books with foster kid protagonists because there are so many different experiences.
(less)

jv poore
Teens face many troubles. From typical to uniquely terrible, talked-to-death to barely touched; there is a tie that binds: this part of life is a different kind of tough.

The Quiet You Carry ponders points that may not be particularly prevalent in publishing yet, but actually affect many children today. Certainly domestic-abuse situations are beginning to be addressed and recently, I’ve read about characters in foster-care and adoption. Still, I’m admittedly overwhelmed with what I’ve learned he
Schizanthus
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Content warnings include foster care, grief, sexual assault, family violence, physical and mental illness, eating disorders, self harm and a suicide attempt (the method used is included).
none of us can understand what’s going on in another person’s life from the outside looking in. No one can really see the quiet you carry, unless you let them.
Victoria lives with her father, stepmother and stepsister. Well, she did until the night her father locked her out of the house. Suddenly this shy, st
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of THE QUIET YOU CARRY by Nikki Barthelmess in exchange for my honest review.***

This book had me near tears at some points. It's a solid 4 star if not 5 I can't quite decide yet.

Victoria was an abused girl. I felt so bad for her because her situation wasn't made any better by the broken foster system.

(view spoiler)
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
“No one can really see the quiet you carry, unless you let them.”

4,5 stars

Thank you Flux, North Star Edition for giving me this book through Netgalley! As usual this had no influence on my willing and honest opinion!

The author in her acknowledgement explains how she was put in foster care when young and how she had no idea what that was before entering the system.

She gives what I think must be a very accurate description of foster care, with its overworked social workers, with foster pare
Tracy (The Pages In-Between)
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do not read a lot of contemporary YA books, because a lot of them (for me) come off as generic. One of my pet peeves is the representation of teenagers. I am glad however that I read this one. This is the kind of book that will make me pick up more contemporary novels. I am a mom of teens myself, and I can say that the way they are portrayed in this book, and the experiences they have, are pretty accurate. They have their own set of struggles, and I think Barthelmess capture that perfectly.

I l
Brittany
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Binge Worthy Stars!!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟

“None of us can understand what’s going on in another person’s life from the outside looking in. No one can really see the quiet you carry, unless you let them.”

**Thank you to NetGalley for providing this arc for preview!! **

Everyone has that something that they deal with, that they carry alone.... unless they choose to let others in. This book was not easy to read, but one that NEEDS- to be read. It was hauntingly beautiful and heartbreaking. Its one of those boo
Erin
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it

Truer words have never been written. Everyone in this world has, or is, going through something that shakes us to the core and completely changes our lives - sometimes it’s good, and sometimes it’s not, and other times it is deeply traumatic. Some people are better at hiding it than others. I know I was, and to a degree, I still am.

Bart
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Well, this was a real tearjerker. I've always been drawn to emotional books about things I don't have any personal knowledge of (like foster care, abuse, etc.) but I didn't expect to be quite as touched by this one as I was. So many emotions going through me... mostly anger. This was definitely an eye-opening read for me.
Becca
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an e-ARC of The Quiet You Carry from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Content Warnings: Abuse, Sexual Assault/Molestation, Alcohol, Suicide Attempt, Self Harm, Eating Disorders

As shown in the content warnings, The Quiet You Carry is not an easy read, whatsoever. Right off the bat, we meet Victoria Parker, who’s getting taken from her home by CPS. According to her father, Victoria tried coming onto him & he tossed her outside in the freezing cold. She’s now forced into t
Anne
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh. This. Book...! It is both heartbreaking and heartwarming. It sucker-punched me in the gut and had me ugly crying several times. From page one we see Victoria dragged out of her home when her father accuses her of inappropriate conduct; she is then placed in foster care with Connie who appears to take in youths for "the measly stipend" the state provides. Victoria is confused: angry that her dad doesn't want her there as she had promised her mother (before she died of breast cancer) that she ...more
Joleen (starlightbooktales)
***Contains sensitive content such as sexual assault/molestation, suicide, self-harm, abuse, and eating disorders.***

Kicked out in the middle of the night by her father, Victoria Parker is now placed in a strict foster home. Away from the only home, she has ever known, Victoria desperately tries to convince everyone around her that this is a simple mistake. But her father refuses to let her come home and refuses to let Victoria contact her stepsister. Ashamed and scared, Victoria tries to get th
Lyn* Nomad *Worlds await*

The Quiet You Carry was another nice gem from Netgalley. This author is a new one for me and her writing did not disappoint. This story is one that needs to be told, especially in a world where the majority don’t even know that things like these happen in real life.

On the surface, Victoria appeared to be a normal high school teenager. A little shy, a good student, a good daughter. She lost her mother to cancer and for a short while, it was just her and her dad. Then her dad remarried and she got
Heather
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
(This review will be on my blog All the Ups and Downs soon.)

I'm a fan of young adult contemporary fiction when it deals with serious issues. When I read the synopsis for The Quiet You Carry by Nikki Barthelmess, I knew it was a book that I needed to read. Luckily, it didn't disappoint!

I found the plot of The Quiet You Carry to be very interesting indeed. I've always found books that deal with the foster system to be intriguing. I won't rehash the synopsis since the actual book synopsis does a go
MundiNova
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. That was raw and emotionally brutal.

I will not recover from The Quiet You Carry, but that's kinda the point.
Like most people, I'm aware of foster kids, went to school with some, knew some foster parents in my small town, but I never really understood the deep emotions of those involved. And I don't think I ever will fully understand what those kids and families go through. This book helps shed light on a whole world most of us know little about.

It should be a no brainer, but this book has
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps

4.5 STARS

Victoria lands in foster care after her father kicks her out in the middle of the night, throwing her plans to attend college next year into turmoil. Now she’s stuck with Connie, the foster mother from hell, in a new school hours away from her home, forbidden to check in on her stepsister. Despite her best intentions, Victoria’s hope to avoid atten
steph
This was a hard book for me to read, especially towards the end. But it was good.
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)
I knew there was something weird about this book when I first saw it, but I can honestly say I had no idea this book would be about sexual abuse. I don’t know if I would have requested it had I know what it was about. Saying all of that, it wasn’t a bad book, it just covers several unsettling topics.

First things first, I didn’t give this book three stars because of the difficult things that take place throughout the story. Things like what happened in the book, happen everyday, and they’re horri
Brittany Lamb
Note: Thank you to NetGalley and to Flux for sending me a free advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

TW: domestic abuse, child abuse, sexual assault, self harm, and suicide attempts

This is truly a heart-wrenching story. It's the kind of book that will stay with you for a while because it pulled on all of your heart strings and made you cry. This story focuses on Victoria, our main character, who has suddenly been kicked out of her home by her father and forced into foster
Bookworm LLC
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
The Quiet You Carry is a story about a girl who was put in the foster care system because her father stated she made advances at him and he needed her out of his house.

What this young girl goes through is heartbreaking but at the same time her strength is amazing.
I loved this story because it touches on so many issues kids go through today within their own families as well as in the foster care system. Thank you for writing about the "Elephant in the room" Ms. Barthelmess. I believe with this s
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Andi's ABCs
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Sometime you read a description for a book and you know going in your heart will be broken. You can just tell the main characters life is going to crush you. The Quiet You Carry was one of those books. The blurb alone almost had me in tears and from the get-go I knew I was in for an emotional roller coaster.

The Q
Kelly Coon
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this, and I have tears in my eyes. The last line was a knock-out punch after a book filled with incredible tension and heart-wrenching pain. I ached for Victoria, the main character, and was cheering for her when she finally found the courage to stand up for herself. With a supportive cast and real-world trouble, this is a must-read for any girl who has ever been silenced. Who has ever felt she needed to remain quiet to save someone not worth the fight. What a brilliant, necessar ...more
Autumn Krause
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was able to read this book prior to publication and it is raw, powerful, and redemptive. Nikki is an exquisite writer and truly captures Victoria's story.
Jody
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I would like to thank NetGalley and Flux/North Star Editions for presenting me with an advanced ARC of The Quiet You Carry by Nikki Barthelmess for my honest and unbiased review.

Nikki jumped right out and grabbed me with the first page of her book. Victoria’s father throws her out of their home she shared with him, her step-mother, and her step-sister Sarah in the middle of the night in the bitter cold with no coat, no shoes, just the clothes on her back. Victoria ends up at CPS to sleeping on
Estee
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Although this book was about a difficult topic, it was interesting to read. I felt like the characters were realistic and likable. I often wondered what it would be like to be a foster parent and so I am glad they shared Connie's story as well.

For someone who doesn't really care for series books, I kind of want to know how the rest of Victoria's story evolves!

Thank you to North Star Editions and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
#FirstLine ~ Dad's door slams.

This book is hard to read, but that it what makes it a book you should read. The themes in this book are those that need to be discussed, to be acknowledged and addressed. There is honesty, heart and secrets within these pages that will keep you reading! This book is one that must be read, shared and processed with your book club. Be prepared for an emotional read, that will leave you changed and different than you were before you read it.
Manon the Malicious
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Victoria Parker was sent to foster care because her dad accused her of something. And she doesn't want to tell her side of the story. Since he refuses to let her back in the house, she has to leave with Connie. And she hates Connie. t also means that she has to live in a new town, meet new people, go to a new school... And it all sucks.

I felt for Victoria but I felt like she wasn't all that layered and very immature for her age
Anastasia シ
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full Review on my blog!

*a copy was provided by NetGalley*

Wow. I don't know what to say.
Initially I was drawn to this book by its cover and title, more importantly I found it to hold more important messages. At one point I found that it was dragging on, and was a bit slow, but I eventually got through it. This book was so raw, and some parts made me cry, but I also loved seeing Victoria grow.

We come into the book not knowing much besides Victoria is being taken away by CPS. We have no idea what h
Diana Rose
Thank you #Netgalley for allowing me to read #TheQuietyoucarry as an advanced reader copy., Ms Barthelmess has a tour'dforce of YAlit, definately five stars , and if Netflix, Touchstone pictures or other production hasnt offered a movie deal for is book they better not wait long. Readers who loved A Fault in Our Stars or A Walk To Remember will be in a complete book hangover for A Quiet You Carry.
Victoria is the first protagonist in a very long time that I felt should have a character interview
Shirley Cuypers
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5*

Original review

This book was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Flux and Netgalley!

The Quiet You Carry
is a Young Adult book about Victoria who’s dumped into a foster home, in a different city just because her dad didn’t want her home anymore. But is that the only reason?

The Quit You Carry was such an interesting book. I wanted to know what was going to happen to Victoria and what really happened between Victoria and her father. I read t
Savanna Waddle
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a complimentary arc of The Quiet You Carry by Nikki Barthelmess in exchange for my honest review.*

Okay, okay. As soon as I heard the words "own voices" and "foster care", I WAS SOLD. I work with kids in the foster care system and foster families and I was so pumped to hear about this new book coming out, and I can say that it was so good. It's so important, especially for the potential foster kid who could find this one day.

This story fo

• Just For Clicks
  • When the Truth Unravels
  • Saving Death
  • V Games: Dead Before Dawn (The Vampire Games Trilogy, #3)
  • The Best Lies
  • The Grief Keeper
  • Happily and Madly
  • The Underlighters
  • Wild Kisses (Wilder Irish, #6)
  • Seeking Sanctuary (Shelter Me #1)
  • Incrusted: Hiding The Demon Within (Warepire Reverse Harem Romance, #1)
  • Social Misfits
  • Counterfeit Boyfriend
  • Things I'd Rather Do Than Die
  • Blinding Night (Blinding Night #1)
  • Sisters' Entrance
  • Animal
  • Supernatural Slayer (Supernatural Slayer #1)
Nikki Barthelmess is a journalist and author of young adult books. She entered foster care in Nevada at twelve, and spent the next six years living in six different towns. During this time, Nikki found solace in books, her journal, and teachers who encouraged her as a writer. She graduated with a degree in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno, and has worked as a maid, cashier, newspaper ...more