Start by marking “King Consort” as Want to Read:
King Consort

King Consort

Avoiding sleeping with women was my specialty, an art form even. As the future King of England I couldn’t be caught sleeping with men. My whole life played out in front of the paparazzi, and they didn’t miss a thing.

I had a carefully crafted womanizing persona to maintain. My life came with rules, all of which I broke when I couldn’t resist a one night stand with the enem
Published May 15th 2018

To ask other readers questions about King Consort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Consort

Start your review of King Consort
Antonella
glad to be reading mm romance by a male author..
even though I am not a fan of royal trope this was surprisingly good...
pretty steamy, with some good lol moments, cute HEA!!
Ky

This royal romance didn't deliver for me. I didn't like the way the characters acted most of the time, they seemed immature and their actions didn't reflect their supposed personalities. They didn't think of the repercussions of their actions even though we saw them talking about how they had to be careful about what they did. About halfway through there was an unexpected sequence of sex scenes. I skipped many of them because they didn't add anything to the story and there were too many
Carra
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This just might be my favorite royalty romance ever in both M/M and M/F. Everyone loves a royalty/commoner love story, and this one goes a step more by having that commoner be part of the paparazzi—an absolutely off-limits person right? But don’t be so quick to paint them all with the same brush…Xavier is not what you might expect, and I found him to be an amazing character.

Xavier being a part of the paparazzi might seem incongruous considering he’s an introvert thanks to something that happened
AussieMum
DNF 41%
I was bored.
Steph ☀️
Sokay.....

Started off really well, but then for some reason I cannot put a finger on, it became more of an okay read for me. I felt that it was a bit too repetitive which IMO killed the angst for me 😬.
Aղցela W.
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a good read. I love reading m/m royalty stories. Louie receives an ultimatum by the Queen his grandmother. Do a tour of Canada and come back to England to pick a bride to marry. For Louie the prospect of marrying a woman hurts because he's gay. Duty calls and he's been groomed on duty and country all his life. He and his sister Anne who has had her own personal problems take off for Canada. While on the way there, Anne gives him what she thinks is a gift for him to let down his hair and ...more
Denise - Shh Mom's Reading®
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars LOVED!

This review is likely going to end up more of story as every time I try to write about my love of this book in my head I keep coming back to how I found it!

You see we were contacted by a PR person a few weeks ago, she asked if Shh Moms Reading wanted to host an Exclusive Cover Reveal. The email was personalized, it had all the details of the book in it and the blurb really grabbed. So we agreed to host the cover reveal and I jumped at the chance to review King Consort.

What grabbe
Qin
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even the abysmal editing in what objectively qualifies as a mediocrely polished work (missing words and misprints of the type "sectary" for "secretary" or "Cananda" [sic!] for "Canada" are aplenty, on top of a bit too many rough or loose inflections) coupled with the rather frustrating temporal ellipses resulting in harsh jumps within the story, could not compromise my satisfaction with this lively royal romance. There is just enough world and character building to burnish the depths of the char ...more
Joyfully Jay
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

I have read several books by J.R. Gray and I want to point out that the author’s voice has evolved significantly and the writing itself has become more polished with each book. King Consort started out strong for me, but ultimately the structure of the plot and attention to key details fell short.

Louis’ grandmother is the Queen of England and he is next in line for the throne. He has a good relationship with his grandmother and they have some good banter, but Lou
Brooke Gunderman-Harris
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you have been following my reviews as of late then you know that I have been reading some serious Royal Romance's and I have been loving every single word of it.

I have reviewed for JR before and I was so excited when I was contacted by his PR rep for this book! It was a royal romance and at the time I wasn't sure how I would love that aspect. But boy I loved the story of Prince Louis and Xavier.

Prince Louis is seen as a womanizer who cant get enough of women, whether its in the press or to hi
Manfred
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I found this, I thought it would be a nice in between read and hopefully a good story. However, I didn't expect too much, so it was really a surprise how much I liked it!
When I read about the Prince of Wales falling in love with a commoner, I will always compare it to Lilah Pace's "His Royal secret" and is clear from the start, it will not be easy to step in those shoes.
But this book about Louis, the future king of England and Xavier a paparazzi was a pleasant surprise, sweet and funny, com
haletostilinski
3.25 stars!

This was enjoyable. It was both similar and completely different from stories I've read in this arena - royalty - and it didn't fall into a lot of the cliche'd pitfalls that others stories have fallen into before.

For one, Xavier told Louis he was paparazzi when they first met before anything sexual happens, so Louis goes into his encounter with Xavier with his eyes wide open, no trickery or manufactured drama made from Xavier not telling Louis what he did.

Xavier and Louis had really g
Aubrey
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Solid 2 star effort

I have no clue why is this averaging higher in the ratings. It's decent, and I didn't want to throw it across the room, but it isn't 4 star worthy. The book as a whole was badly edited, and it took far too long on some parts and rushed through others. The characters themselves also "sounded" the same (which shouldn't happen considering one is a British royal). The pacing was off, and lingered too long on useless and unsexy sex scenes. I would have loved having the story explor
Fritz42
I love me m/m romance with royalty, and this was so enjoyable. I loved how Louie and Xavier both were immediately attracted to each other. And the circumstances where they met...What an interesting twist.

Louie receives basically an ultimatum by his grandmother the Queen. Complete this tour of Canada and come back to England to pick a bride and marry. Unfortunately for Louie, that prospect makes him hurt inside because he's gay. But duty calls, and he's been groomed on duty and country all his l
Ekollon
Finishing this book too me a lot longer than I had anticipated, some of which had to do with the book and part of which had to do with external things going on in my life which limited my reading time.

As for the things that were going on with this book, basically it wasn't as much a book for me has I had anticipated. First and foremost, the main characters kept doing things that were, in my opinion, incredibly foolish and that stressed me out. I'm sure that some people would find the things the
Cee Brown
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
¸.•´¸★*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.★¨*.¸¸.•`★¤4 1/2 consorting stars.¤★¨*.¸¸.*ˑ˞★

"You're the prince, and I'm the pauper."<><> ~Xavier

"I was passionate about the work we were doing, but to me, not letting my grandmother down was top of the list, and since Anne couldn't do it for me, I had to be the one. We were out of blood." ~Louis

"Louis had an addictive quality, and he would be my drug of choice. ~Xavier

What a delightful story, given the royal wedding of Harry and Meghan. I needed this story in my life and
♥️Fantasy Land  Book Reviewer♥️
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So this is NOT my usual read at all. But I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and King Consort sounded too good to pass up. I have read other genre's with multiple partners where there is mmf but not just mm, so I didn't know really what I was getting into. But I LOVED this story.

Louis is the heir appointed to the English throne. He knows he is gay but has to keep it a secret. No matter what he knows he has to keep it a secret, he is so duty bound to everyone that he comes last.

Xavier i
Robin Powers
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a royal romance! Prince Louis is under pressure to marry and provide an heir for the monarchy when he meets a hot paparazzi Xavier. There’s so much I just loved about their secret relationship. You could just feel they really wanted more time...more everything from one another. Louis was raised with a sense of duty to crown and country from birth. To have most of your personal choices just taken from you for such a public life...it devastated me. Xavier has his own personal demons that ...more
Tanja OMGReads
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: omgreads
This was a fun read, kinda like a new age fairytale of Beauty and the Beast. I really like Louis and Xavier. Even when they seem to have nothing in common they were both just dying to find someone where they can let down their guard. I loved that Louis believed enough in Xavier that he was willing to put everything on the line for him. If you ever had to be in the spotlight you’ll understand how much of a sacrifice it can take on a person’s life. I loved side characters, the queen was something ...more
Kathryn Bullivant
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this story, and it would have been a five star read if not for the jumping between characters, which was let down slightly by the constant use of third person pronouns rather than using names. I liked the dual point of view, and the first person style, but found myself flicking back to double check whose POV we were reading, which prevented me from becoming fully immersed in the story. I would, however, try another book from this author.
blue night
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
This was a pretty average book, but with a strange writing problem. It was hard to follow the dialogue. The author had too many lost antecedents or confusing sequences. It made some of the parts that should have flowed into very stilted passages for the reader. There were other oddities in the writing that occasionally made me think of google translate. So it goes.
Malkhai
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Original review: https://myshelfbooks.wordpress.com/20...

I was away from Romance books (and books in general) for several years and when I came back (2018) romance novels with Royals had become a huge deal. One of the current trends for a genre liable to have new ones every single year. Back then stepbrothers were all the rage!! This is my first taste of this flavour of the hour and I must say it wasn’t tasty enough…

In this book we meet Prince Louis of Britain, a womanizer who is going to inheri
Ntokozo M
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
In light of recent royal fever this book came at the right time! I loved every minute of reading it and I honestly felt so gutted when it was over. This was the story of Louis, British prince who is very much gay and very much unable to tell his grandmother and Queen and Xavier, scarred paparazzo focussed on keeping calm throughout his days and not really looking for love. When the two meet Louis is enamoured but Xavier isn't so sure...Soon the pair have a love affair of epic proportions going o ...more
Alex
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
3.5 stars rounded up :)

*I received the book in exchange for an honest review*

This is the second book by the author I’ve read…and to be honest, they both feature the same kind of protagonist – someone who needs to hide who he is (my review of the other book, Forsaken, can be found here).

And since it is the time of the royal wedding, the theme of the book seems fitting. It is a nice, easy to read book. I had a few problems with it, but they weren’t *that* much of a problem.

What bothered me the mo
Love N. Books
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
DD’s $0.02

His Royal Highness, Prince Louis Albert Frederick of the House of Gotha, Prince of Wales is young, handsome, and next in line for the throne. Whether he likes it or not, Louis has lived a very public life.

With his sister Anne coming off a high profile and very public battle with drug addiction, he understands more than ever there are aspects of his life that must always remain private. Louis must walk a straight and narrow line which is difficult when he isn’t very straight.
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

I loved King Consort! It was such a fun MM royal romance. Xavier and Prince Louis were so much fun to watch fall for each other.

Prince Louis needs to get married soon, but he has a problem - He doesn't like women like that. And no one can know because he will be King one day. So he is a well-known ladies man, only he doesn't get the ladies. He secretly gets the men. And they have to be secret one time things. He can't have a relationship becaus
Michaelene
Try living dangerously, your highness. If even for a little while before you have to be king.

I was in the mood for some royals. Add in the paparazzi love interest and J.R. Gray’s King Consort was too good to pass up!

Louis is the future King, and he’s feeling the pressure of finding a wife and begetting an heir. There’s just one problem. He isn’t in the market for a wife and coming out isn’t an option.

Can I talk about how absolutely tension-inducing this story was? The push/pull of Louis’s duty t
Tarowen
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance, lgbtq
Mari  Cardenas
4.5 Stars!

Prince Louis is first in line to become the King of England and while he's been trying to keep his sexuality a secret, it's wearing him out. Meeting Xavier, a paparazzo with a conscience, during his tour to Canada wasn't in his plans and neither was falling for him. But with the weight of his responsibilities bearing down on Louis and him and Xavier living on two different continents, finding a way to be together seems like nothing but a pipe dream.

Xavier and Louis were adorable and I
Maureen Lubitz
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Originally posted on You Have Your Hands Full

King Consort is a contemporary m/m romance novel written by J.R. Gray. I found this book on Kindle Unlimited, and it piqued my interest because I love all things royal family.

Louis is the heir to the British throne, and he maintains a carefully crafted playboy persona in order to hide his sexuality. While on a goodwill trip to North America, Louis meets Xavier, who he later finds out is a paparazzo. But what seems like a disaster turns into an odd so
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Right Royal Affair
  • Out in Spring (Out in College, #6)
  • His Royal Favorite (His Royal Secret, #2)
  • The Sweetest Thing (The Blackburn Brothers Duet, #1)
  • The Guy in the Window
  • His Royal Secret (His Royal Secret, #1)
  • Say You’ll Be Nine
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Forever (Always & Forever #2)
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Slow Pitch
  • End Scene
  • The Edge of the World
When not staying up all night writing, J.R. Gray can be found at the gym where it's half assumed he is a permanent resident to fulfill his self-inflicted masochism. A dominant and a pilot, Gray finds it hard to be in the passenger seat of any car. He frequently interrupts real life, including normal sleep patterns and conversations, to jot down notes or plot bunnies. Commas are the bane of his exi ...more

News & Interviews