Start by marking “Flygirl (Flygirl #1)” as Want to Read:
Flygirl (Flygirl #1)

Flygirl

(Flygirl #1)

*** Winner 2019 New Apple Award for Excellence in Independent Publishing***

In a crippled airplane thousands of miles from home, Tris must prove she can lead...

Propelled by grief and natural ambition, pilot Tris Miles is not content with her job as a First Officer for tiny Clear Sky Airlines. She wants to be a Captain--the only way she knows to prove her worth as a pilot an
Paperback, First, 310 pages
Published January 2019 by Acorn Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Flygirl, please sign up.
Gladys Yes just finished it. I enjoyed the way R. D. used the disfunction at the airport. It kept the reader, me, enticed how Fly Girl would handle the animo…moreYes just finished it. I enjoyed the way R. D. used the disfunction at the airport. It kept the reader, me, enticed how Fly Girl would handle the animosity given her by almost all the other pilots.
She was not the cause of Born's death, the drunk driver was. But she believed she was.(less)

Start your review of Flygirl (Flygirl #1)
Erin
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley, series
Get ready to soar to the sky with one kickass pilot who knows her own worth in Flygirl.

Listen, people, listen, I feel fairly excited about this book and I wish I could call up its author, R.D. Kardon, because she's written a hell of a tale.

Set in 1998, Flygirl presents us with Tris, a determined thirtysomething that is looking to improve her flying experience and become a captain. But like many women, Tris faces the challenges of climbing the work ladder while also dealing with hostility and
Alicia Infante
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off let me say, this book is amazing. I love how the author touches on a subject that, not only was relevant in the time from the story took place, but is still very much relevant today. That subject is woman’s rights. Many professions back and then and still today are dominated by men. Women have to work ten times as hard as their male counterparts to receive the same recognition.
Tris, a female teacher turned pilot is training to become a pilot for a company that does corporate flights.
Lori Oliver-Tierney
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the main character in this book Tris. She had many hurdles thrown in her way but continued to live with integrity and do her best. The author is obviously very knowledgeable about aviation and I enjoyed getting to know more about the world of pilots as my husband was a co-pilot on a USFS plane. He also read her book and found it to be truthful and honest concerning the world of women in the role of being a pilot. This book really resonated with me as I worked as a ranger for the USFS whe ...more
E.P. Sery
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic story! R. D. Kardon took me to a new and fascinating world of aviation in her debut novel Flygirl. Tris's dream to succeed in a male dominated field was ambitious, and I watched in awe how she strived to reach equal terms with determination and hard work.
There was a moment when I felt present in the cockpit, watching her keep her cool while under tremendous pressure.
Her love and trust of men were constantly tested, and being a Pilot-in-Command in life as well as on the plane h
A.R. Hellbender
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A copy of this book was provided to me by the author for review.
I liked this book even more than I expected. It’s a great story about a girl trying to succeed in a male-dominated industry where the people she works with try everything to destroy her chances.
It’s well researched and full of pilot terminology, as well as being very true to the late-90s setting.

The format of it may not be for everyone, as we get little character depth but are still privy to all of their points of view & the problem
Ginny Velazquez
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a woman’s journey to become a captain in a man’s world. She faces judgment and prejudices along her journey and handles them with grace. I feel like a lot of the emotions and reactions are a little over-simplified and the way Tris, the protagonist, blames herself or thinks about situations frequently makes no sense to me, but it doesn’t take away from a good story.
Adam Ross
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply marvelous! A terrific debut novel that is filled with a cast of strong, well thought out characters. Tris - the lead character - is strong, inspirational and memorable.

She's leaving a small airline for the next step up - to fly a larger more elite class of airplane for a corporate airline. Tris is determined to become a pilot. As we learn early on, the aviation world is dominated by men. Most of them eyeball Tris before giving her aerial talents a chance. She ignores it and drives throug
M. Jay
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Flygirl" is a smart story about a pilot whose high personal standards for success in life, love and flying lead her on a turbulent personal journey using the skills with which she is uniquely equipped. The protagonist, Tris, is the final authority of her own life. Her clarity of purpose cannot eviscerate the one unassailable truth, however: Tris, and her friends and work-mates, are human, and subject to the same foibles as anyone else. But Tris is clear-eyed and resilient. What I'm saying is th ...more
Sue
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This wonderful novel is about sexual discrimination in the aviation area in the early 90s. I would like to think that we've come a long way with women's rights since the early 90s but some of the situations in this novel are still happening to women in the work place today.

Tris wanted to be a pilot. She gave up her teaching job to fly for a small airline but was relegated to a position as first officer with no idea when she would be promoted to captain. She takes a job with a company that flew c
Cheryl
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Flying is a series of small corrections."

This is a book not only about a woman in the aviation industry but also about sexual harassment in the workplace. It is set in 1997-1998 but I could have been reading a story about my own experiences and career from the 1970s on. I do believe that it's better nowadays (or it was when I worked in the late 1980s and 1990s but sexual harassment still does happen - often. Just watch the news.

Because of some of the content, I found myself reliving past experi
Laura Engel
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I first met author, K.D.Kardon at a small bookstore's Author Day after she read a scene from her book, Flygirl. I was immediately interested in reading her book because I too had worked in the 80s and 90s in male dominated fields and I knew the struggle we women had dealt with. I thought the book would be about that struggle. But, I was in a for a treat. This book is so much more. Great story telling, realistic characters, a love story, a story of working hard and accomplishing your goals, a sto ...more
Gene Desrochers
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Patricia “Tris” Miles (see what she did there!?) is a woman trying to make it in the man’s world of airline piloting. She dreams of moving from the puddle-jumper commuter called Clear Sky to a corporate jet where she can accumulate the hours needed to get better jobs. She wants to fly an Astral at Tetrix. She lands the job but her flight trainer, Deter, is a chauvinist who believes someone with more experience and less hair should have gotten the position. She will have to navigate not only him ...more
David Kennedy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flygirl takes you into the mind of Tris Miles as she battles the sexism of 1998 (some things never really change) and personal demons in her attempt at becoming a corporate pilot. Despite her obvious skills, self-doubt creeps into her purposeful outlook, and the advances of men who still refer to a grown woman as "girl" take a toll.
Tris perseveres, dealing with being undermined by her own employers and the continual resentment of certain co-workers. Yet surprises are in store as the tale reaches
Sasha
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sent-to-me
Flygirl follows Tris on her journey to become the pilot she aspires to be while facing the turbulence that comes with breaking into a male-dominated profession in the late 90s. Along the way Tris proves she can overcome any obstacle placed in-front of her, both as a pilot and as a female.
I through I was reading a book about flying, but I found myself on quite the roller coaster in regards to my feelings about some of the characters, especially Ross and Deter.
I would recommend this novel to any
Energy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tris, who was once a teacher, makes a drastic change in her life and sets her eyes on the skies. She wants more out of her flight career so she moves from a commuter airline to a corporate, Tetrix. In hopes of being captain, she hopes she's made the right choice. In these days, flying was mostly considered a man's world, and it's even truer at Tetrix, where she is the only female flying and her only ally seems to be the receptionist.

The person who is supposed to be training her, Deter, is nothi
Jan Steele
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kardon brings to light the struggles women often face in male-dominated careers. What sets this story apart from others that portray similar issues is the use of multiple POVs. Not only do we get Tris' story, we also get insight into the male point of view through well-developed male characters who struggle with their own personal and professional issues.

The interesting world of aviation paired with Kardon's multi-layered characters make this novel a truly enjoyable read from beginning to end.
Marta Ratliff
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh I would never have guessed that Fly Girl is by a debut author. It made me feel like I was going through everything right along with Tris. She fought like crazy after becoming a pilot to become Captain in a man's world in the 70's. The ending had me in tears. R. D. Kardon is flying high with this book. Now I need to read her new book Angel Flight. ...more
Jeannine Wickliffe
Good fast read

Tris has a lot going on but her dream to become a licensed captain is important. The road is bumpy and has its problems, both petsonally snd professionally. Its a great read and explores e otions and things that drive us to accomplish dreams
D. James
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you’ve ever been ostracized, undermined or unacceptable for whatever reason, then Flygirl is the novel for you.
Based on real-life events it’s the story of one woman’s struggle to be accepted and ultimately excel against all the odds.
Great read. Can’t wait for the sequel.
Tanya
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
She made a mistake once and she dreams of being a captain of an airplane. She goes to join another team and they are not happy to see her. She will prove herself and they are not going to stop her. Her plane has issues a he she needs to land safely. Can we do it? Will they crash? Will anyone die? See how we gets on

Donnajo
I voluntarily read a advanced reader's copy of this book

Flygirl by R.D. Pardon by a new to me author that I will be checking out more books by. I found the storyline of this book very interesting and keep me going back to read more.
Leigh Gaston
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect quick read.
Kamini Mehta
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Tris's story. She doesn't have the easiest life, but she goes after what she wants. ...more
Jaclyn Baker
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From a female 91/135 pilot: excellent read....

It was an engaging read with page turning relationships between the characters. I appreciated the perfectly accurate view of corporate aviation from the perspective of a woman, with all of its ups and downs and inequalities. It took me no time at all to get lost in this story and am sorry it has ended. I enjoyed every chapter, something I often can’t say.
Jackie
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved Tris from the beginning. Not happy with her life. Definitely a strong character. Can’t wait to read more about her.
Barbara Shaw
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Flygirl, one of the best books I've read in a long time. The story grabs the reader and doesn't let go until the last page. It keeps the reader guessing and wondering if Tris will ever catch a break.
As an avid reader of popular fiction, I really enjoyed it. Very entertaining. I identified with the main character, Tris Miles, and her struggles getting fair treatment in the workplace as she navigates her way into the male-dominated field of aviation.
It is very well-writt
Sam Ashkenas
The author is a born storyteller and a master of metaphor. I highly recommend this book!
Priscille Richman
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book about a woman, forging her path, in a very male dominated career (more so in the time period of the book). Loved the strong female character and her fighting spirit, especially when dealing with some tough male counterparts. There were even some romantic overtures, and a touch of mystery, to keep us wanting more.
Bernadette Robinson
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
My thanks to The Book Club on Facebook reviewer group for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I gave this a 4 stars or 8/10. I found this a well written story and it engaged my interest from the first few pages. This is the first in a series by the Author that feature Tris Miles, who yearns to be a pilot and Captain of the planes that she flies in.

As Tris faces harassment and sexual bigotry on a daily basis, due to being a female trying to make it in a male dominated profession.
Gail Atkins
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this really hard to get into but by the end I really admired Tish.
A female pilot trying hard to progress in a male dominated world. She has a fight on her hand to prove herself in society and at work. A broken heart and a life long dream keeps Tish moving forward.
I really enjoyed this book about a strong woman and a real story line without the need for adult themes.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Change Book Description 2 13 Feb 16, 2020 10:06AM
Goodreads Librari...: Flygirl Audiobook Version 2 12 Apr 14, 2019 12:33AM
The Cover 1 1 Jun 30, 2018 10:44AM
Have you seen one? 1 1 Jun 05, 2018 03:07PM

• The Import
  • Stripped Bare (Kate Fox, #1)
  • The Daedalus Quartet
  • Alex's Atonement (Midnight Sons, #2)
  • The Last Correspondent
  • Defending Raven (Mountain Mercenaries,  #7)
  • The Lost Stories Of Louisa May Alcott
  • The Skylark's Secret
  • Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, #1)
  • The Noel Letters
  • Water Memory (Sentro, #1)
  • All the Flowers in Paris
  • The Silencer Series Box Set Books 1-4
  • The Bone Field (The Bone Field #1; DI Ray Mason #2)
  • Forty-Seven Years Aloft: From Cold War Fighters & Flying the PM to Commercial Jets
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • How the Penguins Saved Veronica
  • The Road She Left Behind
Robin D. “R.D.” Kardon is a native New Yorker, educated in the New York City public school system. She attended New York University where she earned a B.A. in Journalism and Sociology, magna cum laude, and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

After college, Robin went to law school at The American University, Washington College of Law in Washington, D.C. There, she was a Moot Court champion and earned h

Flygirl (2 books)
  • Angel Flight (Flygirl #2)