Start by marking “Flygirl” as Want to Read:
Flygirl

Flygirl

It’s 1997. Women stand beside men in combat and fly fighter jets. Pilot Tris Miles is not content with her job as a First Officer for tiny Clear Sky Airlines. She wants to be a Captain—the only way she knows to prove her worth as a pilot and atone for a deadly mistake.

To further her career, Tris accepts a prestigious job with Tetrix, Inc. But her dream of becoming pilot-in
Paperback, First, 310 pages
Published January 2019 by Acorn Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Flygirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flygirl

Erin
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Get ready to soar to the sky with one kickass pilot who knows her own worth in Flygirl.

Listen, people, listen, I feel fairly excited about this book and I wish I could call up its author, R.D. Kardon, because she's written a hell of a tale.

Set in 1998, Flygirl presents us with Tris, a determined thirtysomething that is looking to improve her flying experience and become a captain. But like many women, Tris faces the challenges of climbing the work ladder while also dealing with hostility and
Alicia Infante
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off let me say, this book is amazing. I love how the author touches on a subject that, not only was relevant in the time from the story took place, but is still very much relevant today. That subject is woman’s rights. Many professions back and then and still today are dominated by men. Women have to work ten times as hard as their male counterparts to receive the same recognition.
Tris, a female teacher turned pilot is training to become a pilot for a company that does corporate flights.
E.P. Sery
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic story! R. D. Kardon took me to a new and fascinating world of aviation in her debut novel Flygirl. Tris's dream to succeed in a male dominated field was ambitious, and I watched in awe how she strived to reach equal terms with determination and hard work.
There was a moment when I felt present in the cockpit, watching her keep her cool while under tremendous pressure.
Her love and trust of men were constantly tested, and being a Pilot-in-Command in life as well as on the plane h
M. Jay
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Flygirl" is a smart story about a pilot whose high personal standards for success in life, love and flying lead her on a turbulent personal journey using the skills with which she is uniquely equipped. The protagonist, Tris, is the final authority of her own life. Her clarity of purpose cannot eviscerate the one unassailable truth, however: Tris, and her friends and work-mates, are human, and subject to the same foibles as anyone else. But Tris is clear-eyed and resilient. What I'm saying is th ...more
Adam Lottes
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply marvelous! A terrific debut novel that is filled with a cast of strong, well thought out characters. Tris - the lead character - is strong, inspirational and memorable.

She's leaving a small airline for the next step up - to fly a larger more elite class of airplane for a corporate airline. Tris is determined to become a pilot. As we learn early on, the aviation world is dominated by men. Most of them eyeball Tris before giving her aerial talents a chance. She ignores it and drives throug
Sue
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This wonderful novel is about sexual discrimination in the aviation area in the early 90s. I would like to think that we've come a long way with women's rights since the early 90s but some of the situations in this novel are still happening to women in the work place today.

Tris wanted to be a pilot. She gave up her teaching job to fly for a small airline but was relegated to a position as first officer with no idea when she would be promoted to captain. She takes a job with a company that flew c
Gene Desrochers
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Patricia “Tris” Miles (see what she did there!?) is a woman trying to make it in the man’s world of airline piloting. She dreams of moving from the puddle-jumper commuter called Clear Sky to a corporate jet where she can accumulate the hours needed to get better jobs. She wants to fly an Astral at Tetrix. She lands the job but her flight trainer, Deter, is a chauvinist who believes someone with more experience and less hair should have gotten the position. She will have to navigate not only him ...more
Sasha Carpenter
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flygirl follows Tris on her journey to become the pilot she aspires to be while facing the turbulence that comes with breaking into a male-dominated profession in the late 90s. Along the way Tris proves she can overcome any obstacle placed in-front of her, both as a pilot and as a female.
I through I was reading a book about flying, but I found myself on quite the roller coaster in regards to my feelings about some of the characters, especially Ross and Deter.
I would recommend this novel to any
David Kennedy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flygirl takes you into the mind of Tris Miles as she battles the sexism of 1998 (some things never really change) and personal demons in her attempt at becoming a corporate pilot. Despite her obvious skills, self-doubt creeps into her purposeful outlook, and the advances of men who still refer to a grown woman as "girl" take a toll.
Tris perseveres, dealing with being undermined by her own employers and the continual resentment of certain co-workers. Yet surprises are in store as the tale reaches
Energy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tris, who was once a teacher, makes a drastic change in her life and sets her eyes on the skies. She wants more out of her flight career so she moves from a commuter airline to a corporate, Tetrix. In hopes of being captain, she hopes she's made the right choice. In these days, flying was mostly considered a man's world, and it's even truer at Tetrix, where she is the only female flying and her only ally seems to be the receptionist.

The person who is supposed to be training her, Deter, is nothi
Deak Wooten
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a solid debut novel from a promising new author. Tris is an intelligent, resourceful, courageous woman striving to succeed in the male-dominated world of aviation. Her quiet determination grounds the story. Flygirl is at heart the proverbial pebble dropped into a pond. No one, be it Tris or the men she works with, emerges unchallenged or unchanged.
Donnajo
I voluntarily read a advanced reader's copy of this book

Flygirl by R.D. Pardon by a new to me author that I will be checking out more books by. I found the storyline of this book very interesting and keep me going back to read more.
Kamini Mehta
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Tris's story. She doesn't have the easiest life, but she goes after what she wants.
Sam Ashkenas
The author is a born storyteller and a master of metaphor. I highly recommend this book!
Barbara Shaw
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Flygirl, one of the best books I've read in a long time. The story grabs the reader and doesn't let go until the last page. It keeps the reader guessing and wondering if Tris will ever catch a break.
As an avid reader of popular fiction, I really enjoyed it. Very entertaining. I identified with the main character, Tris Miles, and her struggles getting fair treatment in the workplace as she navigates her way into the male-dominated field of aviation.
It is very well-writt
Gail Atkins
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this really hard to get into but by the end I really admired Tish.
A female pilot trying hard to progress in a male dominated world. She has a fight on her hand to prove herself in society and at work. A broken heart and a life long dream keeps Tish moving forward.
I really enjoyed this book about a strong woman and a real story line without the need for adult themes.
Flora Beach
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flygirl is a well-written story featuring a strong woman in a man's world, in this case the flying industry. Kardon, a pilot herself, fills the book with descriptions of planes and the technicalities of flying which should make the story of equal interest to men and women. The characters are well-developed and snappy dialogue moves the plot along. There is enough tension to make it a page-turner as conflicts arise between the protagonist and the men she flies with. Some readers might be disappoi ...more
Mikel J. Wilson
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to be an early reader of Flygirl, the story of an ambitious female pilot trying to break into the boys’ club of aviation during the 1990s. The phenomenal debut novel from R.D. Kardon buckles you in for a nonstop flight of secrets and backstabbing. Kardon’s prose and dialogue give life to honest characters with true emotional depth. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and definitely recommend it.
Lois Letchford
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read! This book and the scenarios R.D. Kardon places before us fascinated me. I felt I sat in the cockpit as a silent observer, a part of the tension. This book portrays challenges woman still face today.
Bruce Ashkenas
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flygirl. a novel by R.D. Kardon, reviewed by Bruce Ashkenas
The first thing you notice about Flygirl is the riveting cover, a female pilot topping a jet airliner, and you know instantly that you’re going to be up in the air over this one. But it is not until you start reading that you realize this is a workplace novel and the workplace is the fascinating world of aviation.
Tris (Patrica) is the pilot on the cover, a 34-year-old second officer for a small commuter airline, who yearns for the tit
RMFRANK
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While I know all about trying to make my way as a professional in a male-dominated society, I never gave much thought to what it must have been like to be a female pilot. Tris' story, while very relatable, had the added benefit of introducing me to a world I knew nothing about. I loved getting into the cockpit and flying with her. While Tris faces many challenges in both her work and personal life, none of them seem formulaic and the author avoids pat solutions. The other characters are also wel ...more
Laleh Pop
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flygirl is a timely story of striving to succeed in spite of the all too common misogyny of our times. It is also a story of what it is to be true to oneself.
The masterful character development makes it easy to really get into the main characters perspective. Even when the behavior was ugly I could empathize instead of hate, because I felt I understood where the character was coming from.
All the riveting twists and turns keep the story engaging. Flygirl is hard to put down. May she always fly hi
Holly Kammier
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This phenomenal debut novel takes you inside the cockpit and straight into the complicated, exhilarating life of pilot Tris Miles. I loved everything about this book; the juicy behind the scenes politics of flying, the dangers and hardships one woman faces in her quest to make her dream come true, and best of all, the love story! I would recommend Flygirl to anyone searching for their next great read.
Margaret Heinemann
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have now read Flygirl twice and was as impressed the second time around as I was the first. I highly recommend this book.
This story introduces the reader to a career field which still to this day is "unusual", especially for women. Although things have improved, most female aviators have encountered and continue to encounter male colleague prejudice at many points in their careers.
How do I know this? Because Tris' story very closely echoes mine. I too, just like Tris, changed careers late to b
E.A.
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
R.D. Kardon’s debut novel FLYGIRL is set in 1997 and 1998. It follows the struggle of Tris Miles, an ambitious female pilot striving to advance her career from piloting small commuter planes to becoming a captain on private jets for a Fortune 100 company. Getting a late start in her flying career due to a ten year teaching stint, Tris is desperate to speed things up, willing to do whatever is necessary to prove herself. She has her own hidden agenda and is determined to see it through.

Unfortunat
Leanna Mattea
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flygirl by RD Kardon is a debut novel, and she starts off a winner. It’s a story of a female pilot, Tris, in the late 90’s, who attempts to fulfill her dream of becoming a Captain for a small private commute airline. Dealing with male discrimination is discouraging and Tris has to work even harder to make the cut. Through it all, she maintains her dignity and belief in herself.
With no flying knowledge, it was interesting to sort out the jargon associated with piloting an airplane, but Kardon do
Ramcy Diek
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a signed paperback just before Flygirl was released. Why do I write lucky? Because this is one of the few books I read recently that I enjoyed thoroughly.
Trish is ambitious and applies for a job to become a Captain, a pilot in command. Working her way through a personal tragic loss and dealing with problematic co-workers, she discovers what she really wants in life.
Robin Kardon, very well done. Your novel is unique, beautifully written, and about real peopl
Jill Meyers
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel very fortunate to be an early reader of a proof copy of R.D. Kardon's debut novel "Flygirl". I don't want to reveal anything from the "twist and turn" plot, so I will simply say that the main character, Tris Miles, represents the struggles that many women in aviation (including me) have been experiencing for decades, and sadly, still face in many aspects of our industry. The book is very well-written and the flying sequences are exciting to read! The characters development is great and I ...more
Jodee
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was good. I honestly picked it because I liked the cover and I’m glad I did. Tris is a great character that we can all relate to. As working women we all have dealt with a Deter, a Ross and a Jensen. You may have even encountered a boss like Zorn. Who likes the idea of a woman working with him, but does’t want it to really happen, especially if she might just be better than some of the men.
I would definitely recommend this book to my peeps to read.

I received a free copy of this book v
Donna Hope
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
FLYGIRL by R D Kardon was a good read on several levels. The insight into life as a pilot was very enlightening....add to that being a female pilot and the story takes on a whole new meaning. Struggling to make it in a man's world, Tris keeps climbing over obstacles and the men standing in her way. The story is entertaining and informative. A good read for sure.
RABT Book Tours: Flygirl by R. D. Kardon 1 1 Feb 15, 2019 06:33AM
RABT Book Tours: Flygirl by R. D. Kardon 1 4 Jan 03, 2019 05:29AM
RABT Book Tours: Flygirl by R.D. Kardon 1 2 Dec 31, 2018 05:27AM
The Cover 1 1 Jun 30, 2018 10:44AM
RABT Book Tours: Flygirl by R.D. Kardon 1 3 Jun 28, 2018 04:34AM
Have you seen one? 1 1 Jun 05, 2018 03:07PM
Robin D. “R.D.” Kardon is a native New Yorker, educated in the New York City public school system. She attended New York University where she earned a B.A. in Journalism and Sociology, magna cum laude, and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

After college, Robin went to law school at The American University, Washington College of Law in Washington, D.C. There, she was a Moot Court champion and earned h