Start by marking “The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)

The Princess and the Fangirl

(Once Upon a Con #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  6,022 ratings  ·  1,459 reviews
The Prince and the Pauper gets a modern makeover in this adorable, witty, and heartwarming young adult novel set in the Geekerella universe by national bestselling author Ashley Poston.

Imogen Lovelace is an ordinary fangirl on an impossible mission: save her favorite character, Princess Amara, from being killed off from her favorite franchise, Starfield. The problem is,
Published April 2nd 2019 by Quirk Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Princess and the Fangirl by Ashley Poston
    The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
    Release date: May 05, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win one of 25 paperback copies of The Princess and the Fangirl by Ashley Poston!

The Prince and the Pauper gets a

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 3847 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 01 - Mar 31, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Fangirl, please sign up.
    Jillian I would recommend reading Geekerella first. Though it is a companion, I consider it to be a light sequel as they mention a lot of story details from…moreI would recommend reading Geekerella first. Though it is a companion, I consider it to be a light sequel as they mention a lot of story details from Geekerella and the main character was in Geekerella. I read Geekerella awhile ago and started reading The Princess and the Fangirl, and I had to stop reading; I felt so lost. I went back and reread Geekerella, now I'm reading the Princess and the Fangirl, and it reads much smoother now. (less)

·  6,022 ratings  ·  1,459 reviews

Start your review of The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
    Jesse (JesseTheReader)
    i finally read another book!!!!! i will defeat this reading funk i'm in!
    C.G. Drews
    This was all sorts of geeky fluffy cuteness...which is just what I was hoping for! I loved Geekerella and this one fits in as a companion novel: same world and reoccurring characters, but different protagonists from Geekerella. You probably could read it as a solo? But there'd be a lot of confusing references. Also *raises hand* I was still, um,,,,confused I confess because I read Geekerella so long ago (and don't own it to reread sob). And I know you shouldn't compare books to their older ...more
    Lola
    This is a contemporary, fandom-centered retelling of The Prince and the Pauper and it is almost as adorable as a puppy sniffing old books. Its also exactly what I neededthe equivalent of comfort foodsince Im supposed to be in Romania right now but there was a problem with my ticket so I have to wait longer to see my grandparents. I felt really discouraged when I heard the news, but luckily I had a few books I was excited to read that helped improve my mood.

This is a companion novel to Geekerella
    Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
    This was... fine? Nothing to really complain about, but I definitely think that I have outgrown fandom books :c womp
    Heather
    Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: ya-contemporary
    I was a huge fan of Geekerella when it came out so I was highly anticipating this book but sadly I didn't love it as much as the first book.
    I think The Princess and the fangirl had the same heart as it had in Geekerella so I adored that but I wasn't in love with our two main characters.
    The book takes places over a weekend during the ExcelsiCon and Starfield actress Jessica Stone meets Imogen and a Parent Trap/Freaky Friday event takes place. I just felt like the 2 stories were a little
    Jessica
    I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher (Quirk Books) in exchange for an honest review.

Omg this book was incredible and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I read Geekerella about 2 years ago and loved it, but I dont remember having this level of response to it. Im obsessed.

So first off, I loved the writing style. Sometimes when you read books about fandoms it can come across like a fan fiction. This book read like a nice YA contemporary with fandom references.

description

I
    Lea (drumsofautumn)

Video Review

Sometimes books just shoot cupid's arrow right into your heart and you have so much love for it, that it's hard to explain why.
    I'm gonna tell you all of the things that I enjoyed and loved about The Princess and the Fangirl, but there's no way to actually explain to you how it made me feel. This book filled a void in my soul that I didn't know existed and I'm so grateful for this book and the whole universe around ExcelsiCon that Ashley Poston has created.

I am a kaleidoscope of
    megs_bookrack
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Jessica Stone planned to use the Starfield reboot as a stepping stone to greatness. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working out that way.

Afraid of being typecast, she wants to distance herself from it as much as she can, but with the sequel in the works and the fate of her character up in the air, that is becoming a challenge.

Attending the same Con that her costar, Darien, met the love of his life, Elle Wittimer, the previous year, she begins to feel overwhelmed by the pressure of it all.

Melanie
    Apr 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Oh my gosh, a companion to Geekerella about TWO GIRLS! My heart is so happy! I can't wait for this!

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch
    Kat
    Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: library-3
    Love love love! This has all the wonderful, quirky cosplay fun of Geekerella, fandom at its finest as Imogen, Princess Amaras biggest fangirl comes to a con with her family, and Jessica, the actress who plays Princess Amara (and who not-so-secretly hates the role) sits on panels barely disguising how much shed rather be anywhere else. But after a chance meeting where the two realize they look similar enough to pass for twins, a lost script, and an interview gone right/wrong, they decide to ...more
    Natasha
    10/10 for the sapphic romance, it was adorable. Otherwise the plot was kinda dull and Imogen was insufferable more times than not.
    Hayley
    Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
    This was quirky and cute and cringy wrapped up in a galactic nutshell.

Maybe Ive grown out of her writing since I read Geekerella in 2017 and loved it, but Ashley Poston REALLY wants to cram as many Harry Potter and Starfield references as is humanly possible in every page of the novel. This whole book screamed at me look at how relatable and adorably quirky I am the whole time and it did annoy me and hinder me enjoyment as it read as too immature for me at times.

We have the Princess, Jessica
    Hollis
    Okay, I definitely liked this more than GEEKERELLA. I'll admit things didn't go exactly as I thought they would based on what little I knew of the plot (which, as always, wasn't much because #TeamNoBlurbs) but I knew THE PRINCESS AND THE FANGIRL was set in the same fandom world as the first and would feature a f/f pairing. It just wasn't the pairing I thought and that is more than okay.

"I'm [..] sick and tired of princesses being either damsels in distress or the foil for a male character's
    Yusra  ✨
    Apr 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
    OH MY GOD

SOMEONE HELP ME

IM DROWNING

I NEED THIS CUTENESS OVERLOAD RN PLZ AND TY
    Lucy
    Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was so good! I don't read as much YA as I used to a few years ago but I still really love books about fandoms and cons. I hope we get more in this series.
    Candace Robinson
    I thought Geekerella was one of the cutest books after I read it, plus, I loved all the fandom stuff! The Princess and the Fangirl did not disappoint in that aspect! There was some pretty awesome fandom stuff mentioned!

I was also excited to see two girl perspectives! However, I feel like the romantic stuff, while cute, was extremely insta love. It's fine for insta attraction or whatever, but neither  Jessica's or Imogen's relationship was developed enough, since the girls had other things they
    may ➹
    unfortunately the gays were not strong enough to overpower the insta-love in this one.... :/
    Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
    Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
    *top 10 disappointing read of 2019*
    So damn clichè. I need to stop reading such books. I should have known from the cover. But life is mysterious and it is not what it is sometimes and I had to try it out not to miss something good. But I should have trust my DNFing instincts.
    Alaina
    This was so freaking adorable. I loved it so much!

The Princess and the Fangirl was again super cute. In it, you will meet Imogen and Jessica. They end up meeting a Con, which is called ExcelsiCon, where Imogen ends up sort of being Jessica's little doppelganger. Now this con is basically all Imogen really knows - she basically grew up there and knows every nook and cranny like the back of her hand.

Plus it's a good year, she's trying to save her favorite character from her favorite franchise.
    sam {inkquisitivereader}⚔
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A prince and the pauper retelling in a geeky contemporary setting? Yeah hi can I get my copy now please?

Geekerella: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    The Princess and the Fangirl: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Geekerella by Ashley Poston was my favourite contemporary novel of 2018 and one of my overall favourites as well so naturally there were high expectations for this one as well. But, I didnt enjoy it as much as the first book.

This book is told in dual perspectives. The Princess in this retelling is a character from the original story
    Stacee
    I was borderline obsessed with Geekerella and was 100000% in on this companion book, sadly it wasnt quite the same.

I liked Imogen a lot. Shes passionate and supportive and I would love to go to a con with her. Her brother Milo was adorable and of course seeing Elle and Darien was fantastic. I wasnt sold on Jessica. At the start shes bratty {yes, it completely makes sense why} and I struggled to settle into the chapters with her POV.

Plot wise its sloooooooooooow. I was about 45% in and
    Silvia
    Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Okay so first of all, I haven't read Geekerella yet! But I wanted to read this for the F/F romance and I was lucky enough to get approved for it. Reading Geekerella is definitely not necessary but reading this book made me want to read it. I think those of you who have read it will enjoy the references to it (which were a bit lost on me).

I love books about cons, and
    Julie
    Y'all, this is SO CUTE. Jess and Imogen are two of the greatest characters. They're so flawed and have to grow so much and the romances are the CUTEST THINGS and this is just. A really stellar follow up to GEEKERELLA with lots of nods to the first book.
    Adah Udechukwu
    May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The Princess and the Fangirl was exciting and refreshing. It was totally worth my time.
    ✩ Ashley ✩
    Jan 01, 2019 is currently reading it
    I WON *THIS* GR GIVEAWAY?!! AHHHHH IM IN SHOCK! Its official, my new year has peaked and its only a few hours old. Im gonna go die now... omgomgomg DONT FREAK OUT

description
    Hilda
    Bless Darien Freeman. Bless his tight jeans and his curly hair and his insufferable smile. Bless everything about that hufflepuff.

Not really important, I just want to point out that even fictional hugflepuffs are awesome. I loved Darien Im the first book and I love him in this one. I like the new characters as well. It was really hard to like Jessica Stone and honestly I dont think I ever did which made the story just bleh for me. Even after all is done if it wasnt for Imogen Lovelace her
    laurel [suspected bibliophile]
    Sometimes the stories we need are the ones that can show us a happy ending and make us feel whole and welcome and loved

Holy nerdgasm, Batman.

I have fallen head over heels for a fandom that doesn't exist

The Prince and the Pauper is far from my favorite of fairy tales, but this modern retelling, with a movie star space princess who doesn't want her fandom (because honestly...who would?) and a fangirl who just wants to save her favorite character from getting killed off, switching places to
    Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
    A few cute moments. Overall felt super forced and trying very hard to make as many nerdy references as possible. Not every sentence needed to be nerdy.
    Andrea
    Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc, 2019-read
    Ashley Poston knows how to write fandoms and cons. Between this book and Gerekerella, I've gotten so much fandom/con-love and they never fail to make me smile. This time we follow Jessica Stone, the actress who plays Princess Amara and her look alike, Imogen Lovelace. These two cross paths after a case of mistaken identity right before a panel. Jess struggles to connect with Imogen when the fans like Imogen better. The two girls decide to call a truce and switch places parent trap style during ...more
    Cassie O. | Lost In Tomes
    I'd like to give a HUGE thank you to both Netgalley and the publisher for sending me digital and physical arcs in exchange for an honest review.

The following review is 100% spoiler free, for both Geekerella and Princess and the Fangirl.

If you loved Geekerella you're going to love The Princess and the Fangirl just as much! This Prince and the Pauper retelling was written for fangirls like me. It is chock full of witty references to all the biggest fandoms, and our wonderful, dorky cast represents

• Hot Dog Girl
    • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
    • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
    • Red, White & Royal Blue
    • Again, but Better
    • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
    • Pumpkinheads
    • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
    • Yes No Maybe So
    • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
    • Tweet Cute
    • Opposite of Always
    • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
    • Somewhere Only We Know
    • Royals (Royals, #1)
    • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
    • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
    • Serious Moonlight
    Ashley Postons is a part-time author and full-time fangirl. She was born in rural South Carolina, where you can see the stars impossibly well...

Tweet her at @ashposton and read her inner-most rambles at www.ashposton.com.

Once Upon a Con (3 books)
    • Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)
    • Bookish and the Beast (Once Upon a Con, #3)

Articles featuring this book

A prince who must lead a broken kingdom. A girl who wants to be the greatest rapper of all time. A small-town hero destined to save t...
    “I think it’s bullshit that the only meaningful stories are the ones that are deep and pondering and boring, saying all this nonsense without ever saying anything, and you’re supposed to, like, read meaning into the yellow wallpaper or something.” She rolls her eyes. “You know what I think? I think sometimes the stories we need are the ones about taking the hobbits to Isengard and dog-human dudes with space heelies and trashy King Arthurs and gay ice-skating animes and Zuko redemption arcs and space princesses with found families and galaxies far, far away. We need those stories, too. Stories that tell us that we can be bold and brash and make mistakes and still come out better on the other side. Those are the kinds of stories I want to see, and read, and tell. ‘Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite’—that means something to me, you know?” 19 likes
    “I am a kaleidoscope of hope and dreams and wonder in the shape of a girl. I am not a porcelain doll. I am not empty. I am worthy. I am enough.” 13 likes