Start by marking “Cardboard Castles” as Want to Read:
Cardboard Castles

Cardboard Castles

"I am my father's daughter, and I am terrified of that fact."

Seventeen-year-old Josilyn is the city’s rumored Cardboard Princess.

Living in a crumbling cardboard castle under the park bridge and struggling to care for her mentally ill father, Josilyn’s life has been anything but regal since her mother’s death.

But when a former friend discovers Josilyn's secret and leads
Published May 17th 2018 by Graye Castle Press

To ask other readers questions about Cardboard Castles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cardboard Castles

Kira Simion
Apr 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: got-for-free
First thing I noticed: the cover and how everything fits naturally together. Then I saw how the blurb was so intriguing that my brain automatically connected it with the cover. That is my favorite thing so far!
Keith Willis
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
CARDBOARD CASTLES is by turns introspective, heart-wrenching, brilliant, and daring. Kenda Young’s prose seized me like a dragon’s talons, never letting go as I galloped breathlessly through this dazzlingly ingenious twist on the traditional portal fantasy.

Of course, saying CARDBOARD CASTLES is a YA portal fantasy is rather like saying King Lear is a little tale about a guy who goes for a walk in the rain. It just doesn’t quite do the material justice. And I use the Lear reference purposefully,
M'lissa
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
First and foremost, this is a wonderful tale and a well written one at that. Ms. Young weaves an intriguing tale revolving around self discovery and what it means to be family; all with a healthy dose of dragons and fantastical battles. Her ability to move her plot and especially individual scenes fluidly between fantasy and contemporary worlds provides for a journey that still feels like it could actually be possible.

The beginning of the story makes it seem like, while it's a difficult one, Jos
Mel Stephenson
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced fantasy that had me gripped to the last page with twists and turns I didn't see coming. Compelling worlds, with a strong, yet vulnerable main character at its core, with themes of homelessness and mental illness sensitively explored. It was both epic and intimate, switching between worlds where Jos had agonising battles to face in each. It's highly likely the author has dragon blood running through her veins—she imagined them to life with such a heartfelt connection, they flew off t ...more
Scott
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a marvelous read. I had been anticipating this book for a while and it did not let me down. Fantasy in a totally new way. Very refreshing spin on things. So If you love Dragons, adventure , twist , turns, laugh out loud humor, tears , anything you could want crammed it to 400 pages of this nonstop masterpiece. This book is for you. I would say that it is an adult fantasy ... but i think everyone will enjoy this . when i say adult there is no sex a bit of drugs and mild swearing nothing wors ...more
Stephanie
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The cover first caught my eye, but I was not expecting the story within the peephole! It was an intriguing and deep look at mental health, building and redefining reality vs. fantasy. Jos is our main heroine and following her through her struggles in both worlds and the relationship with her father was both heart-wrenching and moving. The writing flew off the pages and demands your attention in a good way. This is definitely a book I recommend!
Jen Williams
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Engaging and Enjoyable

This is a clever book; meaning, it’s a concept that is smart and fresh. It was engaging and enjoyable— good character development, suspenseful, and well written fantasy. Who doesn’t love a dragon tale? (There are a few typos in the Kindle version that were annoying but not major issues.)
Donamarie Goldsmith
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a unique story and was enjoyable in the end. Unfortunately, the middle of the book was about to drive me insane with the back and forth. I began to sympathize with Josilyn and her confusion. It all worked out in the end and I would recommend this book. Just be prepared to be slightly confused at times until clarity wins out.
Jade Silfavan
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, mysterious and full of suspense. That's what this amazing tale is. Made me feel like reaching out and giving Josilyn a hug. The story sucks you in with how she's struggling to deal with her father's condition, to not lose him and also the mystery of her mother's death. The way this tale is written makes it hard to put it down. First few pages and bam! I was hooked!
Judy Schachtner
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Flying with Dragons!

I enjoyed this book even though I was confused a bit while bouncing back and forth between realms. Addressing some of society’s issues of mental heath and homelessness while spinning a fairy tale rich with castles and dragons. Made me want to ride a dragon flying through the sky!
Anne Kinslow
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anne Kinslow.
I loved this book. Such a heart gripping story of Homelessness and Mental illness, which many people experience in Society today. I couldn’t put this book down as it was written so well that it kept you glued to the pages right till the end.
Highly recommend you read this book.
Carmen
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Beautiful writing, great premise, and characters that I rooted for and cared about all the way through! I didn't know I was a fan of dragons until I met Falcon. Now he has my heart. :)
Ashley
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. When I first started reading I thought I knew where the author was taking things but then -bam- here comes the twist.

The beginning is heart wrenching and I immediately connected with the characters and that is a big part of whether or not I enjoy a book.
Barbara
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
What is the nature of reality? It took me longer to read this ARC than I had originally planned. At 358 pages, one should allow a week unless one has a completely uninterruptible long weekend at hand, but it is worth the investment of time.
This voluntary review is my own opinion.
Mary Helen
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has it all! Cardboard Castles is a wonderful read from start to finish. It’s fresh, intriguing, imaginative, and will pull you through emotions you never knew you could feel. I enjoyed the book thoroughly and give it 4.4/5⭐ ...more
Amanda Williams
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely brilliant and touching story. The characters made you feel everything in the storyline that was happening. I enjoyed this so much I would read it again and again.
Jeanette
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story! Suspense and wonder.
Christy Burgess
Chas
Jan 07, 2019
Linda Hawke
Apr 29, 2018
KL Young's fascination with all things fantastical comes out in her writing, whether it’s dragons, vampires, or ghosts – if it has wings, fangs, or goes bump in the night, she’s writing about it.

She lives in beautiful Chattanooga, Tennessee with her husband, Tim, who’s responsible for making her believe all her writing dreams will come true. Together they have two daughters, Savannah and Tabitha,