Start by marking “A Little Book on the Christian Life” as Want to Read:
A Little Book on the Christian Life

A Little Book on the Christian Life

For centuries, Christians of all ages have turned to John Calvin’s A Little Book on the Christian Life to help them on their journey as they follow Christ. This book is one of the great classics of the Christian faith, calling believers to pursue holiness and endure suffering as they rest in Christ alone.

In this new translation from the Latin, Drs. Aaron Denlinger and Burk
Published March 2nd 2017 by Reformation Trust

To ask other readers questions about A Little Book on the Christian Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Book on the Christian Life

Megan Craig
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I told Andy, “We wouldn’t need like half of the Christian living books I’ve read if we just read this one.” This book is short, relatively easy to read, and saturated with theological gems on trusting God as we walk through this challenging Christian life. People act like the reformers were all mean and legalistic, but I found this a grace-filled perspective. My biggest encouragement was pressing onward in trials, because motherhood can feel like one big trial. My kids were sick and I was sleep ...more
Jennifer Hembry
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gem and a staple.
Greg Bodwell
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A simple, clear and encouraging book. This is the first thing of Calvin I’ve read and I really enjoyed it.
Jessie Weeks
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This little book is filled with so much treasure of Gods Word! I would highly recommend it to anyone who feels they are in a dry season or who feels they need their hearts reignited with love for the Lord. It was so encouraging and rich with the truth of God. I highlighted almost the whole book!
These extracts from the Institutes are some of the most balanced, consoling, challenging, and beautiful reflections on the Christian life I have ever read. They touch on such things as love of neighbor, suffering, grief, heavenly-mindedness, and living a well-composed life. I will reread this often and plan to gift copies to friends. This little pocket edition by Reformation Trust is well suited for just that.
Jeremy Gardiner
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
First book I've ever read by Calvin. Found it a little slow getting into it but it ended strong. Final two chapters were golden. They dealt with living for eternity and how to use stuff to the glory of God.
Liz Burns
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a life-giving reminder and refresher for pursuing holiness because God himself is holy! “Doctrine is rightly received when it takes possession of the entire soul and finds a dwelling place and shelter in the most intimate affections of the heart.” 🔥🔥
Jessie Wittman
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stellar. I am motivated a new to take up my cross and to not fear death. It also convinced me that I need to read the whole of the Institutes. Taking that on next!
Sarah Norton
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by John Calvin and he did not disappoint. I've heard so many great things about him, little snippets of things he's written and as a Calvinist, I know his most popular doctrines. But this is the first time I've sat down and read a substantial work of his.

This book is unique because it's a small section of his larger book called The Institutes of Christian Religion. Starting right after Calvin began writing the Institutes in the mid-1500's this section devoted to
John-Mark Echols
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all followers of Christ. Chapter 3 Bearing Our Cross is a Part of Self Denial, was particularly timely for me in a season of chronic physical pain. This is one I’ll surely revisit often.
Becca
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-2018-reads
This book is just what the title suggests—it’s a short book about the basics of the Christian life. I found it to be so rich for only containing 126 pages. Will definitely be coming back to it and recommending it.
Shelley
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and though-provoking book on spiritual maturity.
Tony Lee Ross Jr.
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Calvin had that ability to have you feeling warm and fuzzy, cuddled up next to beautiful truths while simulately kicking you in the teeth with holiness. I'm here for it.
Dr. Z
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Handy little volume of golden practical parts of the Institutes.
Rachel
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This book deserves to be read over and over again. There is so much theology packed into such a tiny book. All Christians should have the enjoyment of reading this book.
Josh Burgess
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Wonderful little book with great wisdom.
Mark
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You
Bridget Carroll
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a short but convicting reminder that Christians should pursue wholeheartedly the calling of God in scripture in all aspects of life. The translation is very accessible.
Ben
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 2019
The book is aptly named, but it is rich with truth. If you’re looking for an introduction to Calvin or a reviving to your love for God and your passions to obey him in all of life, this is a great place to start.

This will probably be an annual, re-calibrating read for me.
Hadlai
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The more of Calvin I read, the more I like him. And the more I read these little booklets, the more I just want to read the Institutes as a whole.
I think every Christian would be benefited by reading this and/or The Golden Booklet, as they do have some overlap.
Kathleen Conn
May 26, 2018
Caleb Bonney
Dec 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Crook in the Lot: Or the Sovereignty and Wisdom of God Displayed in the Afflictions of Men
  • Rejoicing in Lament: Wrestling with Incurable Cancer and Life in Christ
  • The Envy of Eve: Finding Contentment in a Covetous World
  • Young, Restless, Reformed: A Journalist's Journey with the New Calvinists
  • Why the Reformation Still Matters
  • Conscience: What It Is, How to Train It, and Loving Those Who Differ
  • Reformation: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
  • Spurgeon: A New Biography
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Jonathan Edwards on Beauty
  • Seeing Christ in All of Scripture: Hermeneutics at Westminster Theological Seminary
  • God’s Battle Plan for the Mind: The Puritan Practice of Biblical Meditation
  • The Holy Spirit (The Gospel Coalition Booklets)
  • God's Very Good Idea: A True Story of God's Delightfully Different Family
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • The Mighty Weakness of John Knox
  • The Loveliness Of Christ
  • The Prayer That Turns the World Upside Down: The Lord's Prayer as a Manifesto for Revolution
John Calvin (10 July 1509 – 27 May 1564), né Jehan Cauvin, re-translated from Latin Iohannes Calvinus into Jean Calvin in modern French, was an influential French theologian and pastor during the Protestant Reformation. He was a principal figure in the development of the system of Christian theology later called Calvinism. Originally trained as a humanist lawyer, he broke from the Roman Catholic C ...more