Start by marking “Rocky Mountain Refuge” as Want to Read:
Rocky Mountain Refuge

Rocky Mountain Refuge

Run! Hide! We are watching you, Huxley!

Huxley Dempsy suffers from a paranoid personality disorder. After a horrific tragedy five years ago, Huxley is convinced people are out to get him. Taking refuge in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, he is a prisoner to his own mind. If he can think it up, it must be true, and there is no convincing him otherwise.

Wildlife biologi
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 307 pages
Published April 4th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Rocky Mountain Refuge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocky Mountain Refuge

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This story will gut you. It doesn't skirt around the issues of mental illness and loving someone who's mentally ill (yet so much more than their illness).

Huxley suffers from paranoid personality disorder (PPD), and it affects him exactly the way it sounds: He's suspicious of everyone; thinks everyone is out to get him; worries incessantly about imaginary threats and risks; and sees danger where none exists.

Huxley disappeared into the wilderness five years prior following his husband's brutal m
Jan
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ku, lgbtq
****4.5 Stars ****

Have you ever stopped to think, what it means to be paranoid, as in suffering from a paranoid personality disorder? Because I never did. And the fact that in the past I have tossed around the sentence “you are paranoid” lightly to someone, now made me cringe.

Huxley suffers from a paranoid personality disorder. After a horrific tragedy in his life, it worsened, and he became a recluse living in a cabin in the middle of nowhere.

Aspen Taylor is a wildlife biologist on the way to
Christelle
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**

Saying that I was engrossed in this book is an understatement.
This story is focused on the building of the relationship between Aspen and Huxley.

**Ariana, I couldn't help "stealing" your pics : they were with me the whole time I read this**

Aspen is a wildlife biologist who enjoys the quiet outdoors. While wandering in the Canadian woods during one of his projects, he stumbles on Huxley, high on fever, and helps him to get back to his cabin.
Huxley became a recluse after the murder
Ariana
* 5 stars +++*

This went straight on my 'best of the best' shelf.
I've had a lucky streak of really good books recently, but this ... totally blew me away.

Can I express how much I LOVED this?

First there are the MCs:

Huxley: Wow.

What a brilliant character. Huxley lives in a slightly different world from us - because he has paranoid personality disorder. This means that he trusts NOBODY, that he sees intrigue and people out 'to get him' in every corner, that he accuses people he loves of things that
Sanaa Z.
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4-4.25 stars.

Rocky Mountain Refuge wasn't the easiest read but it was super different and that is exactly what I need every once in a while. Sometimes, I read a book that opens my eyes to the struggle of what people go through with illnesses and this book is one of them.

This was heartbreaking but amazing. It deals with an MC who has paranoid personality disorder and it took me into a journey of what it feels like to live with that. And how it affects the people you love most.

I'm glad Huxley
Lost in a Book

4.75 Stars

YASSSS!!!

daydream.gif

I devoured this insanely fast. Rocky Mountain Refuge left me hungover and scouring lists and recommendations for rustic and/or wilderness M/M reads. Not gonna lie though, this book hurt. It’s hard to read Huxley’s POV and my face might have leaked a tiny bit. However, it’s balanced with a lightness that surrounds Aspen and that makes it hurt SO good.

Huxley has struggled with paranoia since childhood. Between therapy and the amazing support system of his mom and husband Nathani
Elena
Content warning: (view spoiler)

I’m conflicted about this book.
On one hand, I really liked a lot of things about it. On the other hand, something was missi
Debra
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Debra by: ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

I’m obviously in a super-minority with this review but the book frustrated me. It had all the makings of what should have been a story that checks so many of my boxes, but I found it difficult to stay engaged.

It started off well for me, but then dragged in the middle a bit. Huxley was a fascinating character and I really wanted to see how he would deal with things towards the end, so I forged on, but I found myself disliking Aspen more and more as I went on and a lot of things at the e
Cristina
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, favorites, lgbtq
Rocky Mountain Refuge by Nicky James is an intense and emotional journey through the complex and unpredictable mind of a character suffering from intense anxiety and paranoia.

Huxley Dempsy runs away from the city after the tragic death of his husband and finds refuge in an abandoned cabin in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Living in fear of being found by his 'enemies', he conducts a solitary existence on the limits of survival.

Aspen Taylor is a wildlife biologist who's conducting a res
Elsbeth
~~ Not all people are out to get you, Huxley. Some people just want to be nice. ~~

Another winner for me!! Amazing writing. Loved the character development of the two main characters Huxely and Aspen.

One way or another but Nicky James's stories always slay me. They are so real. Knowing absolutely nothing about the mental disorder "paranoid personality disorder"(PPD). My heart broke for Huxely. I can't imagine living your life questioning EVERYTHING, trusting NO ONE. It must be exhausting....
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, kindle-unlimited
Color me surprised, again. I just didn’t think books with mental illness would appeal to me as much as they do.

That sounds kind of rude. Hopefully you know what I mean. I of course don’t want there to be mental illness so I can read about it…anyway…

I normally seem to lean toward easy breezy or you know, paranormal but this is the second book by this author with this type of subject matter and it worked for me.

I didn’t love this one as much as I loved Love Me Whole but it was pretty close. Ther
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
DNF @ 40%

Just never could get in to this one, and didn't find myself wanting to go back to it.
♥Sharon♥
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it

You were probably expecting a sexy picture of Huxley right? Well you got one of Grizzly bears instead. Cute buggers aren’t they but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to run into one of these on a hike in the mountains. :)

Rocky Mountain Refuge is what I’d call a little gem. Something unexpected and a story I found to be beautiful. Huxley really touched my heart. After experiencing a heartbreaking loss, he lost control of his ability to deal with his paranoid personality disorder. For 5 years he led a
Teri
I really enjoyed this. It got pretty rough at times, but the characters were amazing and it was very well written. A very unique story for sure, I don't think I've read many like it. I keep typing things and deleting, I can not really do this book justice, I would highly recommend it to everyone. It was pretty intense and broke my heart at several points. I adored both the main characters, and even Chris, who would have guessed that, huh? (view spoiler) ...more
Tina
5 stars and a rare place on my top favorite reads shelf 2018

Wow, wow, wow... this unique story just blew me away.

Can you love someone who is mentally ill? Aspen does... and reading about Aspen and Huxley getting to know each other and crossing every rocky road (yes, they are struggling!) was an intense experience.

“I thought you were a better person than that. Not everything in life is easy, you know. It’s the people who risk facing the hard stuff and the scary stuff every day who come out str
Chappy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

Wow, I don't know if I could handle someone like Huxley, but I think Aspen is up for the challenge.

Their courtship is not without bumps in the road. Their love for the outdoors is a powerful draw and helps bring them together.

Very steamy!!!
Kaje Harper
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This author writes some very good characters who are challenged by mental illness. In this book we have Huxley, who's been coping with a paranoid personality disorder much of his life. He was doing fairly well until his husband was murdered, sending Huxley off the rails, off his medications, and into hiding in the wilderness. Convinced that the real killer will try to get Huxley blamed for the crime, he hides out in a remote location, mostly living off the land and worried that every person he s ...more
Sue bowdley
I'm sat here wondering how to review this.....I thought i'd found in Nicky James' books the hardest to read in her Healing Hearts series but this one left me in no doubt that this one just breaks my heart over and over again....Huxley is struggling along with his life suffering with his paranoia....I really don't know what to say....I loved this book...Absolutely loved it....Huxley is living a solitary life after fleeing civilisation after the murder of his husband and because of his condition t ...more
Shelby P
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I saw this book come across my feed and my Goodreads friend's review was 5 stars and gut wrenching. So I was intrigued enough to find out for myself. Things started going wrong pretty quickly for me. I read M/M books for the romance between the characters so when we got a lot of background noise about this Grizzly Project and the students I found myself skimming.

Once Aspen and Huxley met, my skimming stopped, for the most part. Huxley rubbed me the wrong way from jump. I didn't like him and neve
Gabi
There was an episode in Grey's Anatomy (Thank you, Shonda Rhimes), where this guy struggled with paranoid personality disorder, though his condition seemed more severe, than Huxley's in this book. Back then I just shook my head, and grumbled 'Oh great, another crazy guy.' But now I got a chance to see everything through Huxley's eyes, and peek into his head. He kept saying that he's mind is more evolved than others, that he could sense danger. I got to thinking, and he's probably right. He's min ...more
AGandyGirl
Once again Nicky James tackles a very serious mental condition and does so with such thoughtfulness, such care and with love.

Not everything in life is easy, you know. It’s the people who risk facing the hard stuff and the scary stuff every day who come out stronger in the end.

And while this is a quote from the book, this could certainly apply to the author as well. She does not shy away from difficult stories. From stories of loss, mental health and death. She tackles these head on and with such
Elizabeth
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional. This is the 2nd book I've read by this author and both have been 5 star reads. This book was just everything I wanted. This is a love story told with all the grit and reality mixed in to include the added responsibility of depicting a mental disorder with respect, dignity, and accuracy. Aspen and Huxley are everything you should strive for in a relationship. Find your person, the person that understands you and is willing to do the work to put up with you. This book just opened my e ...more
Katie Townsend
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rocky mountain refuge was such a amazing story to read

Huxley and aspen stole my heart from the first time I met them

I felt everything Huxley and aspen were going though their ups and downs heartbreaking moments heartwarming moments I was there with them through everyone I wanted to hug both Huxley and aspen

I also got a insight just how strong people are who live with mental illness like Huxley and how hard it is for them but they still remain strong and brave and are worth loving too

Nicky jam
Rohit
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf, m-m
DNF@61%

I don't know if I was dragging this novel for the last two weeks or if it was dragging me, but bitch this ain't no Rupaul's drag race and I ain't got no more time. I'm happy with the tid-bit experience I've had with this novel and I found it to be just OKAY. Yes, this novel tackles a mental health issue which is very important when it comes to inclusivity but the whole writing jarred me throughout that I just didn't want to continue more than a few chapters at a time. Also, I'm not sure a
Marita Hansen
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. It's a bit slow burn for my taste, I'm more the fast action kind of girl, but I still liked it, plus the characters were good, making me care enough to follow their journey to the end of the story, which I was happy with.
Nile Princess
FANTASTIC! I loved it!
Vivian
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
My aching heart!

I’m a glutton for damaged characters but this one was rough, even for me. This relationship is a struggle and nothing is going to make it go away, just learn to work with it. I learned so much about Huxley’s condition and really breaks my heart to know what his life is like. That’s why I enjoyed this book - it made me feel deeply and I loved the way Aspen didn’t go blindly into the relationship. He knows what he is up against. This book is sticking with me for a long time.
KimberlyRose
Do you want an intelligent, unique, compassionate, character-driven, present-day romance? Here you are; have at it.

This story gives a face, a personality, a life to Paranoid Personality Disorder, a disorder that, if someone has it, is usually dismissed, judged as "that person is being ridiculous." And so it begins, the never-ending hurtful derision.

James outstandingly delivers a compelling story: the two main characters are unique, rounded, imperfect, and we see an enormous emotional journey ha
Daphne
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-read, 2018-books
Second book I’ve read by Nicky James and both were phenomenal. (Other book was Love Me Whole - read it!).

Oh lort, Huxley was exhausting. Ex-hausting. I’ve never been accused of being a patient person and there is no doubt in my mind that I would be incapable of dealing effectively with a person who has paranoid personality disorder. Aspen (great name) was a bit more like me than was good for either man, maybe, at the beginning. One of my favorite elements of this story was how the focus wasn’t
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Unquiet (Resilient Love #3)
  • The Dilemma (Sirius Wolves, #5)
  • Despite the Odds (Odds Are, #1)
  • Two Silent Cries
  • All That Shimmers (Piece Us Back Together)
  • The Struggle Within
  • Any Given Lifetime
  • Blind Blondie
  • Change of Address
  • I Can See For Miles
  • Safe in Your Fire (The Village, #1)
  • Hard Line (The Woodbury Boys, #2)
  • Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)
  • Bring Him Home
  • WILD
  • Vassily the Beautiful (The ESTO Universe)
  • The Impossible Boy
  • Pain (Save the Kids, #1)
I live in the small town of Petrolia, Ontario, Canada and I am a mother to a wonderful teenage boy (didn't think those words could be typed together...surprise) and wife to a truly supportive and understanding husband, who thankfully doesn't think I'm crazy.

I have always had two profound dreams in life. To fall back hundreds of years in time and live in a simpler world, not bogged down by technolo
“Like everyone from my past, Aspen had hopped on board the “you need help” train and was tooting the whistle right in my face.” 0 likes
“Not all people are out to get you, Huxley. “I know.” The words were empty, because the truth was, I didn’t know.” 0 likes