Start by marking “The Collected Stories of Diane Williams” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Collected Stories ...

Diane Williams

The Collected Stories of Diane Williams

The Collected Stories of Diane Williams brings together over three hundred new and previously published short fictions—distilled works of “unsettling brilliance” (Vanity Fair) that have rewritten the rules of the American short story.

From Ben Marcus’ introduction to The Collected Stories of Diane Williams:

“Diane Williams has spent her long, prolific career concocting ficti
Published October 2nd 2018 by Soho Press

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories of Diane Williams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Stories of Diane Williams

Guttersnipe Das
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I longed for this book and here it is! I am so glad of it. All the stories, in one sturdy book. I’ve been reading Williams for many years now and it has always seemed to me that they are best read this way, in order. The early stories give a reader a little more to go on, then more and more one is left stranded in midair. It is a delight one learns, I think. The recent stories seem to circle around a bit, provide a little ground again -- but never much!

If you are new to Williams, I suggest
Bookish
I believe I actually swooned when I saw that The Collected Stories of Diane Williams was on NetGalley. I have been reading and writing flash fiction since around 2002. In fact, I love it so much that I wrote my master’s thesis on it (which included an exploration of some of Diane Williams’ work from her collection Excitability). Revered NOON editor Williams is a master of the form and these stories are each excellent examples. This collection, featuring an introduction by Ben Marcus, is a gift f ...more
Josh Luft
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You read these stories and you wanna tell others, "You either get Diane Williams or you don't." But that's not right. Diane Williams gets you. She gets you and she takes you away. Takes you away to someplace you thought you knew. And you're not at all sure how she got you there. "Was that even a road?" You'll try to figure it out, but you might never. And that's fine. Because you do know that whatever in the hell way it was, it was pretty damn interesting.
Morgan McComb
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Flash fiction is a difficult genre to master, but Diane Williams is arguably the best contemporary author of the form. From the first story, you’ll be drawn to her characters and her ability to capture a fully realized moment in the span of one to two pages. Some of her stories are ironic, others joyful, and even others devastatingly relatable, but what each of her stories does is awaken and affect the reader with a keen emotional capacity. Though they are just snapshots, this collection of stor ...more
Katrina
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A strong selection of stories and vignettes covering a wide spectrum of moments and human emotion. Williams certainly knows how to say a great deal in a wonderfully concise manner, and many of the stories in this book are like a sharp shock to the system. In a collection this size it was inevitable that some shorts would be stronger than others, but even the weaker stories were still very readable.

Definitely one of the superior writers of flash fiction out there.

This was an ARC in exchange for
Josh
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Each piece of flash fiction reads quickly but begs for thought, reflection, and another story. I flew through this 764 page book.
Claudiapiepenburg
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I consider myself to be fairly sophisticated when it comes to fiction: don't read romance, don't even go for Harry Potter-type fantasy. Ottessa Moshfegh, Jennifer Egan, (sometimes) Jonathan Franzen, Lauren Groff, Rachael Kushner, Kate Atkinson, Alice Munro, Jamie Quatro, George Saunders...I believe I've made my point. So, when I read an interesting interview with Ms. Williams in a recent issue of The New York Times, I figured I'd shell out the $30 to buy her book, I mean it's over 700 pages and ...more
Rumaan Alam
Jan 08, 2019
duncan
Nov 22, 2018
Erik Dubbs
rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2018
Nila
Colleen
Cate
Sep 14, 2018
Diane Williams is an American author, primarily of short stories. She lives in New York City and is the founder and editor of the literary annual NOON (est. 2000). She has published 8 books and taught at Bard College, Syracuse University and The Center for Fiction in New York City.

Her books have been reviewed in many publications, including the New York Times Book Review ("An operation worthy of a