Start by marking “Bowie: Una biografía” as Want to Read:
Bowie: Una biografía

Bowie: Una biografía

Tras el fenómeno Frida, la biografía del camaleón de la música, ilustrada por María Hesse.

"No muestro lealtad a ningún estilo. Simplemente escogeré aquel que me permita transmitir lo que quiero en ese momento".

David Bowie es mucho más que un cantante que vendió ciento treinta y seis millones de discos, mucho más que un artista que experimentó con multitud de estilos y defi
Published April 5th 2018 by LUMEN (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Bowie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bowie

Start your review of Bowie: Una biografía
Rod Brown
I got this from the library because I thought it was a graphic novel biography, but OOPS it is instead a fictionalized first-person life of Bowie with each two-page spread having about a page worth of typeset text and a very large illustration. Sort of a young adult picture book. No real depth, with the added bonus of having to figure out which bits are lies. Hrmm.

I'm not a fan of the art, especially since it is not good at capturing the likeness of Bowie or the many famous people he encounters
Spades
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020, wishilist
this was really cute and interesting. it just bothered me a little that some of it was fiction and not a biography, but it was still an enjoyable read
Aljoša
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
As a huge Bowie fan, I loved this. I cried several times. I loved the fantasy elements as well. And the illustrations are amazing.
Rick
Interesting. While I was just d bit disappointed with some aspects, this was a fascinating amalgamation of major life events and the illusions of fantasy. Certainly a book every Bowie fan should own.
Benjamin Alexandre
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT! Directly to my favorites of the year.
IvannaManson
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He's still my favourite alien.
Megan Rosol
Amazing! Written from the artist's point of view and beautiful at showing the beauty and ugliness, control and madness, earthiness and strangeness of his art.
Eric
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
A delightful fictionalized fantasy version of Bowie’s life with brilliant artwork. A totally joyful work.
DFZ
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first, I was excited to read this — weird art plus Bowie, sign me up, right? But as I read it, I didn’t enjoy the art as much as I thought I would (too many bulgy, empty eyes) and by the end I didn’t like Bowie as much. The authors chose to mention Wanda Nichols—a black woman who accused David Bowie of rape—in a brief, dismissive way that was extremely off-putting. Instead of building new Bowie myths or fantasies, he ended up as a drab, flat man who failed to take enough responsibility for hi ...more
M. (Inside My Library Mind)
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this! I was never a Bowie fan, but I've always found him to be a fascinating figure and an extraordinary artist. This biography really suited his style and legacy, and I loved the decision to include some fantastical, mystical elements into the biography. The illustrations are beyond gorgeous and make the book spectacular. If you can read in Spanish (or Serbian) definitely recommend this one!
Joye Fulgirl
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fascinating. I have to admit to not knowing very much about Bowie before reading this. I considered myself a moderate fan of his, but my current familiarity with his music really only includes his hits, and, of course, the movie Labyrinth (my love of which is probably the main reason I consider myself a fan). After reading this, I feel I am just a baby fan, and I am planning to at least try to check out many of his albums, because I'm fairly sure I have not heard MOST of his work. ...more
Lynda
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read Hesse's Graphic Novel Frida Kahlo: A biography I've been anxiously awaiting her next book and here it is!
As I said in my review of Kahlo, Hesse once again features the "life, loves, passions and pain" of her latest subject, David Bowie.
By mixing "passages of Bowie's real life with fantastical elements" Hesse relates his story in first person form starting with his arrival to earth as David Robert Haywood Jones. Over the years he transformed into many different personas and si
Alexander Bell
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is written in Spanish but I read a translation in French.

A highly enjoyable first person account of the life of Davie Bowie, interspersed with naive illustrations that give the whole book a sort of magical, childlike quality that fits the subject matter very well.

At 161 pages, including the many illustrations, it is bound to be a somewhat abridged account. For example, the phrase Thin White Duke makes no appearance at all which seems incredible. But I have read many rock biographies,
Glenn
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, music
Whimsical illustrations and a very loose telling of Bowie's life (I didn't know he got his powers from being struck in the eye by a meteor as a child) just serve to remind us what a gifted artist David Robert Jones was, during all his incarnations. The clearly smitten authors don't let facts bog down their appreciation of one--or is it several?-- of the great personas of the 20th century. Don't expect encyclopedic details (certain albums and years are addressed in a paragraph or less) just enjoy ...more
Beatriz Luís
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-shelf
A beautiful look into Bowie's life.
As an eternal lover of the cosmos and a sufferer from existencial crisis, Bowie's existence makes me feel less alone and more understood. Life on Mars was the music that got me looking at the stars and Space Oddity made me feel like we're really alone in this universe, and there's nothing more humbling than that.
To all Bowie fans, I truly recommend this beautiful homage.
Romany Arrowsmith
But who was this for? The art was very pretty. The actual content had the hagiographic quality of an American children's book about George Washington from the 1800s, but it also talks about cocaine and polyamory. For me, a filthy casual on the spectrum of Bowie fandom, it was a decent simplified-Wikipedia overview of his life with cool drawings.
Francesco
An original artwork, narrated from David Bowie's point of view (carefully reconstructed from the rockstar's interviews and biographies). Bowie tells the story of the key turning points of his eventful life. Every page is illustrated with original and colorful drawings that capture the salient moments of the artist's life. A nice homage.
Tina Esquiabo
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
María Hesse can trap you in any story with her stunning illustration and storytelling. I think this book is a really fun and easygoing way to learn about a great musician. If you want more details about his life you should go for a deeper biography.
Sarah Yung
The illustrations, deceptively simple penwork supplemented by rich watercolors, are truly the draw here. The text itself is uneven, and the choice of first-person narration seemed a bit strange; it's rather unclear who the intended audience is.
Roan Michael
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I know nothing about David Bowie but this was a lovely, poetic little primer. I could not get enough of these illustrations, and I love the pseudo-mythology to it, as they said was intended in the introduction.
Ana
Tooo cute.
His life was a big hit.
Autumn
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so great I can only express my feelings in emoji. 🌈☀️✨⚡️💜💗👨‍🎤🎭🥇🎸🌟🔥🎇🎆🚀🌌
Nicole
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was charming. I lived it.
Michele Vance
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! It just makes me so sad..... I miss David Bowie not being a part of this world.
Molly
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting take on a biography, really made the reader feel connected to an icon in a unique way!
Christopher Weinrich
This was a fanciful overview of Bowie’s career and contribution to the music world. Certainly a fast read that prompted me to explore his back catalogue of music anew.
Cook Memorial Public Library
A 2019 staff favorite recommended by Susie. Check our catalog: https://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore... ...more
Joanna Jewell
Beautiful, but it would be so much better if it was written in 3rd person - it feels a bit like reading a child’s diary.
Zoila
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hesse's art is beautiful, especially the last few pages of the graphic biography. I wish the narration could have gone a bit deeper than it did. But overall, a fantastic read.

• Freddie Mercury: Una biografía
  • El futuro es femenino
  • Orwell
  • Vida y muerte de Federico García Lorca
  • El viaje
  • David Bowie (Little People, BIG DREAMS)
  • Qué pacha, mama
  • Auschwitz
  • Talus: Die Hexen von Edinburgh
  • Ser mujer negra en España
  • Tanz !
  • Idiotizadas, un cuento de empoderhadas
  • Bowie: Stardust, Rayguns & Moonage Daydreams
  • Ultra-tumba
  • Wiosna zaginionych
  • Senlleiras
  • Somos las nietas de las brujas que no pudisteis quemar
  • La compañía
Se convirtió en ilustradora a la tierna edad de 6 años, ella aún no lo sabía, pero su profesora y su madre sí. Unos buenos años después, tras acabar sus estudios en Educación Especial, agarró los lápices y se lanzó a la piscina de la ilustración de manera profesional.