Start by marking “Shallow” as Want to Read:

Shallow

Fake.
Shallow.
Brinley Crassus
Sedlacek College Preparatory High School's princess.
She belittled the weak, the easy prey, using her victims to cover her own wounds.

Loner.
Outsider.
Roderick Roher
Sedlacek College Preparatory High School's freak.
He didn’t need anyone, only the script that bled from his soul.

He was the boy she turned her back on when he needed her the most.
Wh
Published (first published June 13th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Shallow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shallow

Irma
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
He saw me today, saw past the words I use like a harsh cord, past the ugly exterior I hide behind. He saw me today I was his princess, not the vain one, but a beautiful queen to his noble king. And he loved me.

A story about being yourself, finding your true love and fight for it like there's no tomorrow.

Shallow is a bittersweet story, it moved me to tears, but it also put a big smile on my face.

description
Ella Maise
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have two things to say...
Roderick basically killed me at certain points in the story...
And I want Brinley's dad for myself. Please.
Talon
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Alone isn’t such a tragedy when you’re trapped in a past that holds no future.”

Shallow was an interesting read for me. I’m not typically one to jump for a YA novel but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I thoroughly enjoyed this book much more than I thought that I would (which is always a treat in itself).

Yessi’s writing has transformed tremendously. That is the first thing I noticed with Shallow. I think this genre is for her because her writing is the strongest than it has been before
Terri Lynn
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Author- Yessi Smith
Free to download or one click $2.99
Release Date- Jun 13, 2018
49 Chapters, plus epilogue.
No Cheating.

Brinley & Roderick, Are two teenagers who were best friends, then enemies, to lovers. They both held so much pain and hurt in, and didn't know how to handle it. Unsure of how to express it. So they acted out the only way teenagers would. Both of them acted out differently.
It was a journey worth reading. This author, I am kind of speechless, really! Reading on these two te
BookSmacked
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yessi Smith dives into the world of YA and does it beautifully.

Shallow is a story of self discovery, self doubt, and finding out what is truly important in life. High School can be a wonderful as well as a scary place and Yessi shows just that in this story.

This was your typical high school story though and it had so much depth within it. I immediately fell in love with it. The friendships formed in this one melted my heart and had me smiling. The characters in this were so different from one
Hazel James
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shallow pieces together grief, loss, and hope, creating a story that is far deeper than its title. Together, Roderick and Brinley challenge the boundaries of high school cliques while working to overcome the scars in his past and the fears about her future. Equal parts introspective and romantic, Shallow takes readers on a journey to discover the truth behind the masks we wear and the power of our words.
Megan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Rating: 4/5 stars

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review
For full review click here.

In Shallow, a mandatory school assignment forces the students to step out of their comfort zone, to work with classmates they'd never speak to otherwise. For a lot of students this is just another assignment, but for a handful of them, it's something that's going to change their lives forever.

Roderick is a loner. Brinley is the shallow, mean girl. Together they break the mold that they've c
Denise Marie
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW This is Yessi Smith’s first YA novel and i think she has found her home! I read this book in one sitting!

Words can destroy just as much as they can heal.
Brinley, the school princess, does whatever she needs to do to fit in at high school. Roderick, the school loner, does whatever he needs to do to survive and graduate. Their worlds could not be farther apart until circumstances change everything and their lives
Flo Grugel
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written sorry of enemies to lovers 💜💜
L.A. Casey
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shallow is a journey of turmoil, hope, loss and love. Overcoming fears from the past, and fighting for a future in a beautifully written story that bled of its pages and came to life.
Nicole
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yessi knocked this book out of the park!! I could not put it down. From the beginning to the end, this book will keep you engaged and wondering all about each character. Yessi is an amazing author and its shows in this book. She puts her heart and soul, into this book and doesn't skimp on pulling at your heart. Enjoy everyone :)
Maria
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love love love Yessi’s writing. I was pumped when she said she was writing a young adult book, and she did not disappoint. It made me nostalgic for the writing style that many have deviated from over the years. The writing, the characters growing, and the overall flow of the book were great. I seriously hope Yessi continues to write in this genre or any to be honest, because her writing just gets better and better.
Debbie
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely a YA book, but still relateable. Raw emotions of loss, grief, hope. Definitely a story that would be good for all teens to read. Great example of teens drawing into themselves and either becoming a "loner" or a "mean" kid as they try to cope with the issues in their own lives. As a mom of a teen and also someone who works at a JH, this book definitely made me stop and think about what makes kids "tick"!
Mandie
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful, emotional story! I got sucked in right away, and I could put it down!!
Courtney Vasiliev
This book is absolutely amazing! I don’t have the words to put together my review just yet, but as soon as I do, I will!!!
❤️Melanie
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a pleasant surprise. I didn't know what I was getting into when I picked this book since I didn't read any of the reviews. Such a great story about growth, friendship, bullying and overcoming challenges. Yessi Smith did a phenomenal job on this story.
Jenny B
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great coming of age story about second chances and shredding masks. While reading this I found the characters and their life dilemmas so easy to relate to (back when I was their age and the life lessons this book gave amounted to amazing sound advice for everyone. I loved how everything was woven together and the dynamics of the friendships despite all the trials was something that I think everyone hopes and wishes for.

Truly a great read and one I know will find my self going back to. A t
Charlene
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This isn’t just a beautiful story of young love, it’s a book of poetry!

This wasn’t an easy read for me, not because it wasn’t amazing, but because there were bits of my life in the pages making it emotional, yet cathartic. Yessi’s words do it to me every time as her writing has a way of making the reader feel and experience and relate to the characters on a whole other level...words that made me mad, warmed my heart, made me cry, broke my heart, and made me smile. You can feel the emotion poured
dreamerinexile
10 million unicorn stars

To say I am enamored, broken, elated, gut-wretched by Brin and Rod's story would be an utter understatement. I've been in love with Yessi Smith's storytelling since I read Life Interrupted. Over the years she has made me fall even more in love with her writing. However, Shallow is without a doubt on another level of writing from her part. It is one of the most beautifully written truths about life.

I have always found solace in words. I made friends and traveled to places
Bri Lind
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it!

Brinley, what people call the school's "princess", is the captain of the cheer squad and the most popular girl in school. Roderick is the "freak" who no one wants to be around and everyone makes fun of a daily basis. But what happens when they cross paths once again, something that hasn't really happened in several years, when they were the best of friends in their childhood years? They may go to the same school but it's not like they hang out in the same circles. But what t
Janet
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shallow is the first YA book for this author and just like her other
books, she wrote another draw you in, can’t put down book. Brinley
and Roderick are two people with troubles, yet do what they can to
hide so others can’t see what is really going on. These teens struggle
with how to deal with their issues and the author does a fabulous job
that you truly feel you are there with the characters. She has you
experiences loss and hope, teenage high school issues, as well as past
scars and future fears. T
Brenna
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the concept for the book; it was a different story that had a few storylines that intermingled. The first portion of the book, I was completely invested and interested in. After about 30%, it seemed to lose much of its steam. There were plenty of things happening in the book, but they seemed to drag on a bit or circle around. It just felt a bit long. I was pleased with how it all wrapped up in the end, and it definitely made me think about the fact that my children will growing ...more
Mary Mccormack
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is NOT your typical high school romance by any stretch of the imagination. The main characters are deep, emotional, thought and feeling inducing, and truly heart touching. This is a very, very deep book that is not for the weak at heart. So many real life issues worked through and dealt with by the main characters that your heart truly bleeds for them all. Truly proud of the person Brinley let shine even when it wasn’t easy. Have the characters found their village to be their family? Have t ...more
FunUndertheCovers
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfect read for a sucker for romance. Shallow is both a comedic and emotional story of two teenagers; completely opposite on the outside, but both broken and hidden on the inside.

Brinley and Rodrick have a strong and powerful connection from the very beginning. You see Brinley grow as a person and become the best version of herself, and you see both characters open up and break down walls they never planned to let down.

Overall the story is very beautiful and realistic and the audience can re
Gloria
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Read!

Shallow.... This YA is everything. It is filled with so many emotions. I cried, i got mad, and i laughed. Honeslty Shallow shows you what true friendship really is. Loyalty. Its about making your own family💜 i won't say more because this book deserves to be read without spoilers.
Shelly hammett
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this!

It goes without saying you never know what someone is going through.People cover their fears and insecurities up by sometimes acting in the most horrific ways towards others.Everyone wears a certain mask for different people in their lives.They fear that they have to be a certain way to be accepted
Laura Parker
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute!

This is a cute book full of love, angst, drama, and cuteness! I love the story of these two and the friends they make along the way. I have to say o started this book and couldn’t put it down. Such a good read!
Jamie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great coming of age and first love story! The characters were well developed and the story line was great and original. Hurt often makes us do crazy things and love makes us do stupid things but love ultimately wins.
Suny Oliva
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put it down! This is my first book of Yessi and LOVED IT!
Brenda Thompson
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to receive an ARC of this book and I loved it!
« previous 1 3 next »
Yessi Smith is a South Florida girl living in Texas with her husband and two sons.

She has a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management and a Master’s in Human Resource Management and has held several jobs, from picking up dog poop to upper management positions. And now she hopes to leave the business world behind so she can live full time in a world that does not exist until she places her fingers o