Start by marking “Protagonized” as Want to Read:

(Fictioned #1)

Describe Jake Hopkins in two words?

Boozing womanizer.

So, maybe he solved cases with a precision not seen since Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. It didn't matter. The guy was a grade A prick.

And killing him was the best decision I ever made—until it wasn't.

It was supposed to be a good move for me—a way of showing that I wasn't one to back down.
I never imagined it would
Published January 24th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Protagonized, please sign up.
Shannon Myers It's a stand-alone. There will be others in the series, but all can be read individually and not in order, with the exception of the novella, Detectiv…moreIt's a stand-alone. There will be others in the series, but all can be read individually and not in order, with the exception of the novella, Detective Hopkins: Angel of Death.(less)

Start your review of Protagonized
Eve (Between The Bookends)

description
I honestly don't know where to start with this book. It was certainly a mixed bag. When I read the blurb, I was super excited because it sounded unique and original (and it got an extra star just for that reason). And the idea itself IS very unconventional; unfortunately, the execution fell short for me.

I think I'll break it down into positives and negatives...

POSITIVES
-- Original idea.
-- The writing was quite good.
-- There was some laugh out loud moments.
-- I loved Hayden (most of the time).
Shyann
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok I love the idea that all my book boyfriends are all out there somewhere in the world. This was such an original romance. I know there are a few movies with this concept but this is the first book I’ve read with this trope. Throw in a couple mysteries to unravel and I was hooked from page one. I love the writing style and the humor (I think I had a grin on my face for most of the book.) One of the main things that had me reading as fast as I could was the ever present question of how would the ...more
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description
I have never read anything like this before. Myers delivers something new and unique. I was beyond intrigued after reading the blurb and once I started reading, I was extremely impressed with how easily I was swept up into the story.

Initially, I wasn’t sure how things were going to work, but they just did. It all just made sense and I was easily able to suspend belief. The story was fun, exciting, and pretty sexy too. I enjoyed the characters immensely. I loved their banter and their attraction.
Lozzie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Protagonized by Shannon Myers is a KNOCKOUT of a read! It a read that kept me entertained to the very end.

This book was hilarious. Like laugh-your-socks-off funny. I was laughing with tears falling from my eyes, and after reading such heavily-themed novels, this was just the pick-me-up I needed.

I loved the idea of this novel so much! It was so original! When I'd read the novel, I just had to give it a try, and I don't regret it at all. I'd never come across a novel like this before, and I loved
Dilek VT
Jan 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
Don't we all read to escape from real life into a fantasy world?

Don't we fall in love with some of these characters sometimes?

But what happens when one or more of these characters come and join you in the real world?

Whoops, right? WTH?!!

Well, to be honest, that's the most interesting blurb I have read lately but I really wonder how the writer is gonna pull it off...

******************************

Updates:

There are more books in the series, and as far as I have learnt, although this doesn't end
Jane Ashley Converse
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing could have prepared me for this laugh out loud masterpiece! I found myself laughing over all the witty banter, nodding in agreement at the totally relatable inner thoughts, and stressing over the ‘will they or won’t they’ the entire book!
Everyone reads to escape into a fantasy world, to be the characters they love. So what happens when those characters join you in the real world?
The answer is you love them even more!
I can’t say enough good things about this book! The author knows how
Andrea Thompson
Ms. Myers has done it again. She stated going in that this was something very different for her, and it is, but in the best kinds of ways!

This is a hilarious love/hate exploration of what it's like to be a writer, make a decision to kill off a character and face the interesting consequences when that character comes to life wanting to be written back in! Jake and Hayden are quite the match, in wits and snark and chemistry. There's something really special about the fun you can have when reality
Becky Burciaga
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fanciful? Perhaps. Original plot? Certainly. Entertaining? Absolutely! Some may scoff at the premise of this story, but I found it to be quite clever and entertaining. Unless particular attention was paid throughout the entire story, much of the story’s nuances would be lost and/or overlooked...thereby leaving much confusion as to the plausibility of the ending.

I found the characters, in their infinitely quirky personalities, to be charming and often times endearing. The dialog was quick and sh
Meghan Lloyd
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the unique concept behind this story - the idea of having characters pop out of stories and enter real life is both exciting and a little scary. Shannon Myers pulled off a subtle worldbuilding within this book, where the characters writers create have their own separate reality, and they can come and go as they please. I found it funny how she created a retirement home for killed off characters, which is full of George R. R. Martin protagonists and a whole lot of villains. So much creati ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Protagonized by Shannon Myers is the story of Jake Hopkins and Hayden Michaels.
Hayden is a writer who's family doesn't believe in her and when she goes to kill of a popular charcter Jake Hopkins in her books, her fans are upset. Feeling somewhat out of sorts with all that is going on she is stunned to open her door to a man asking for her with her book in his had. It turns out he is claiming to be Jake Hopkins.
This is defiantly a different take on a romance but none the less it was one book tha
Michele Gay
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Shannon Myers, and it did not disappoint. The characters are witty and funny. The story had a few twists and they played out really well.
Hayden Michael's is a writer, a cat lover, enter her cat Bootsy whom she spoils. She's worried about everyone else's feelings and will even fib to not hurt someone's feelings. Her family emotionally beat her down, her writing is not a real job, be more successful like your brother, etc. She's written around six or so books an
Elaine
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, romance
3.5 stars rounded up to 4
Cathy Geha
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Protagonized by Shannon Myers

Not what I was expecting and not for me...I liked the premise of fictional characters coming to life but I didn’t relate will to Hayden or Jake or their interactions and pretty much didn’t get “it” at all. I mean, I could follow the story, kind of, but it was silly and all over the place and not very deep and… Anyway, I almost didn’t finish it but decided to skim to see what would happen and though there seems to be a HEA I am still having trouble figuring out how th
Kristy K
Jan 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 Stars

Protagonized straddles the line of many genres: fantasy, comedy, romance, suspense. But the blurb is a little misleading. It seemed like a quirky fantasy mystery: an author kills off the detective in her books and suddenly he appears in real life at her door and helps saves her from danger. I thought it would be a lot more entertaining and funny but many times it fell into the ditzy, silly, eye-roll comedy instead. The story has no real direction with tropes from every genre popping up
Marie  Brown (Marie's Tempting Reads)
Marie's Tempting Reads ARC Review:

Ok, let me start off by saying this book was completely different and wholly original but it was also weirdly hypnotic. Crazy, mind-blowing and unique this book took me on a wild adventure that had me fascinated right from the blurb!

Shannon Myers took this book idea of stories and characters coming to life and turned it into something fascinating. The craziness of characters coming to life was a heck of a curve ball and was strangely cool and appealing to me. I
Love N. Books
ellie’s $0.02

How do I even review a book with a title that isn’t even a word?

I guess the same way an author falls in love with a fictional character. Nothing about any of this makes sense.

Now, aside from those technicalities… and in all seriousness. BRILLIANT plot and had me going forever if the author was insane, did her book character REALLY come to life and what the fuck was going in. Mix sexy times and humor in… this was amazing.
Júlia (Sol and Us)
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blog Sol and Us
EN/PT-BR
____________________________

Shannon Myers

Wow, Protagonized is completely different from what I was expecting.

I didn't knew Shannon Myers, neither researched before (which already proved to be a mistake several times), but, reading the blurb, I thought I'd like the book.

I started reading and realized the book was nothing like I was expecting. But wasn't bad either. On the contrary, the book is super cool. Protagonized is really crazy and made me happy.

Hayden an
☆ syu, the romance aficionado ☆
This book was such a delight to read. I was entertained from start to finish—it was practically impossible to put it down. My eyes are bleary as I am writing this but it was worth it.

I loved a lot of things about this book but I am only going to mention few things that I really liked.

Going into this book, I knew that Hayden was not going to be anyone’s cup of tea. She was too quirky, too different, too random and too much of everything! But these reasons were exactly why I fell in love with he
Jodi Bird (Ruby Red Romance Review)
5 STAR Review by Jodi for Ruby Red Romance Review

This story was new, it was different, and it was refreshing. You must go into this book with an open mind. It’s not like anything I’ve read! I loved the plot and the thought that went into Protagonized. Shannon Myers was able to write a story that not only kept me entertained, but left me wanting more. I loved Hayden and Jake. I'm trying to writer this review without giving anything away. There is a major plot twist in this book and I want you to
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay so I started this book because well I kept seeing it. When I first saw it I was skeptical because I just didn’t see how Jake coming to life was believable. But I kept seeing it on my various social media profiles and I struggled because I love Shannon’s other books. So I decided to give it a go. I wasn’t expecting to love it or read it in one day. However, I loved the story! The concept is so interesting.
Hayden kills off Jake not thinking fans would care and it causes a host of problems th
Susan Trewick
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was totally drawn to this book by the blurb, it’s a unique story line that I couldn’t resist.
The story follows Hayden, a writer who decides to kill off one of her more popular characters womaniser, detective Jake Hopkins. No one is happy with this turn of events, her fans are angry but Jake is livid but happens when he turns up on Hayden’s doorstep with handcuffs demanding she bring him back to life? When strange things start to happen to Hayden, Jake becomes her protector and vows to solve t
Lisa
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5*

After reading the blurb on this one, I knew it was one I had to read. There was something refreshing about it that made it stand out in a crowd of hundreds of other new releases. But when you have high expectations of a read, you enter with a slight trepidation that it won't match your expectations. This one certainly didn't disappoint.

When author Hayden kills off her main character, she certainly doesn't expect him to turn up at her front door demanding she bring him back. Yep, slig
Terry
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 Fictional Stars!

Hayden is a mystery writer who kills off the main character (Detective Jake Hopkins) in her newest series and the readers are angry ... but not as angry as the detective himself! When he knocks on Hayden's door and demands that she rewrites the book and NOT kill him off, Hayden is taken aback and thinks she's going crazy. But it doesn't take her long to fall for her own fictional character.

This book is so different! I thought ... it's gonna be so far fetched, how is this go
Sara Oxton
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Protagonized by Shannon Myers a five-star read you will make you come to life. This was one of my most anticipated reads of this year and I’m glad to say that it will be one of the best. The moment this one dropped on my kindle, I had to start, and I was so hooked I decided that sleep is for wimps. The whole premise of this book was one that I was so excited about, and it done so well. Hayden is someone who’s live you will get sucked into and at times she annoyed me, but I didn’t care I needed t ...more
Marika
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun and a very unusual story! If you are someone who needs for the story to be rooted in reality then this book is obviously not for you..I mean right from the blurb you can see Jake is a fictional character and Hayden is the writer who created him and killed him off!
I absolutely adored it!
Hayden is a bit out there lol but that's why I love her..she talks to herself and wear only cat shirts..oh man the things she dreams of.
Jake is an enigma..in the way that he might or migh
Gavinsmommaloves2read
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This was my first read by this author and after reading I'll definitely be picking up more of her book. This book was nothing like I have read before and that is what makeshift so awesome. Hayden is an author of a hit detective novels star Jake but after a live hate relationship with her lead character she decides to kill him off and no one likes that very much. When her character Jake actually shows up in real life she thinks she's losing her mind. Now I'm not going to go into too much because
Reckless Readers
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now this is entertaining! Fictional character shows up on your door step?!
Hayden Michaels is a writer, who just recently killed off her main character. People are NOT happy. Including the real life Jake Hopkins.
She things he's imagining him showing up until her friend tells her she can see him.
Jake just wants Hayden to fix his stony and bring him back to life.
It's funny, adorable and very interesting take on if you brought you're book boyfriend to life. A definite page turner!

**Review by Sallie
Pelusa Rivera
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked that this was a different concept, however I didn't like it, I didnt like the characters and couldn't connect to them, and honestly I just could not connect with the book. I started and stopped and started again, and finally just couldn't do it..Sorry folks hate giving bad reviews or soso ones but it was not for me

Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) Voluntarily reviewed with my own thoughts and opinions.
Codie
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore Shannon's books and this one wasn't an exception. It is funny, sweet and everything you could want from a book boyfriend. I loved Hayden and Jake, I loved the chemistry, the plot of him wanting his character brought back to life. Haven't we all wished at some point a book boyfriend that our favourite authors have killed off to not have died? This delivers all the goods. I cannot wait to see what comes next!

***Reviewed on behalf of reckless readers***
Jessica Figueroa
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Funny, quirky, thrilling and sexy. This book brought all the feels. Just like Operation Fit-ish which was the first book of Shannon Myers that I read and fell in love with. Hayden is a quirky writer that has an obsession with cats and Game and Thrones. Always has a funny cat related shirt on.
This book will suck you in just with the blurb. Has you think I "what the heck is going on ". Anything Shannon Myers writes is amazing.
Romance Retreat: Protagonized is LIVE and only 99 pennies! 1 6 Jan 24, 2019 06:46AM
Romance Retreat: Protagonized 1 7 Jan 12, 2019 06:14PM
Romance Retreat: Prologue to Protagonized: LIVE 1.24.2019 1 7 Jan 12, 2019 06:04PM
Romance Retreat: Protagonized: Excerpt 2 6 Jan 04, 2019 09:52AM
Romance Retreat: A Quirky Romance for the Masses 1 19 Oct 20, 2018 08:20AM

• Washed In Blood (Heaven's Guardians MC, #1)
  • Pushing Up Posies (Grim Dating #1)
  • Grady (Texas Kings MC #13)
  • Imperfect Strangers (Imperfect, #5)
  • Stealing the Bride
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • Savage's Princess: Archangel's Warriors MC Novel (Dublin Falls Archangel's Warriors MC, #2)
  • Dead Man Walking (The Fallen Men, #6)
  • Wilder (Storm MC, #9)
  • Lost Soul
  • Assisting My Brother's Best Friend (A Second Chance for the Rich and Famous #1)
  • The Mogul and the Muscle (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Fake Dating Her Best Friend's Brother (Love on the Court, #1)
  • The Guy on the Left (The Underdogs, #2)
  • The Runaround (Carolina Connections #6)
  • Obliteration (Facets of Feyrie #4)
  • Mafia Casanova
  • Down We'll Come, Baby
Shannon is a born and raised Texan. She grew up inventing clever stories, usually to get herself out of trouble. Her mother was not amused. In junior high, she began writing fractured fairy tales from the villain's point of view and that was the moment she knew that she was going to use her powers for evil instead of good.

In 2003, she moved to Denver and met the love of her life. After some relent