Start by marking “Ghost: My Thirty Years as an FBI Undercover Agent” as Want to Read:
Ghost: My Thirty Years as an FBI Undercover Agent

Ghost: My Thirty Years as an FBI Undercover Agent

The explosive memoir of an FBI field operative who has worked more undercover cases than anyone in history.

Within FBI field operative circles, groups of people known as “Special” by their titles alone, Michael R. McGowan is an outlier. 10% of FBI Special Agents are trained and certified to work undercover. A quarter of those agents have worked more than one undercover assi

Published October 2nd 2018 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost

Lance Charnes
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: true-crime fans who want the dirt straight from the horse's mouth
Recommended to Lance by: Criminal Element
Ghost is a fast-reading memoir featuring a largely no-nonsense cop who has an interesting tale to tell and some scores to settle along the way. The author, for all his tough-guy growling, is good company for just over 300 pages. That it’s a familiar story in its outlines doesn’t make it any less entertaining; you’ll get enough inside-cop and inside-crook stuff to feed your true-crime jones and then some.

Because I wrote this review for Criminal Element, I can't show it all here. Go here to read t
Sara
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
While the author's story is quite interesting, what shocked me the most was what the FBI actually does. In my naive world I never considered what an undercover operation would entail- apparently, lots of questionable activity in the name of catching "bad guys". It seems that at times the line can become a bit blurry when the "good guys" spend years attempting to engage "bad guys" in criminal activity (for example when the author gets pulled over by police while undercover with no FBI identificat ...more
Mike Maurer
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great page turner!

The author has more cojones than 99.9% of the population. A fascinating look at the dangerous world of undercover work in law enforcement. Bravo on a job well done!
LUCAS H. GOLDING
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The stones on this guy! That is my basic assessment of Ghost. How someone could keep their cool under such pressure filled situations is beyond my comprehension. I’m just amazed that he(Mike McGowan) would choose such a dangerous occupation in the first place. Having said all that the stories in Ghost are absolutely fascinating and tense. My issue was the writing. It seemed dumbed down to me. Like he was writing it for teenagers instead of what I project as his main audience(middle-aged men). Th ...more
C
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting stories, some nail biting, but not as well written as James Comey’s book. The author is very smart, street smart and book smart, which enabled him to convincing play anything from a mafia street thug - a rich crime boss - or a tainted city official. Was fascinating to find out some of what we see in movies really does happen. Also can see what is over dramatized. Also truly, there are some really dumb criminals out there!
Michelle Dyer
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am usually a romance reader. This book showed up on my "you might be interested in" feed. I read the sample since I am not into real life and REALLY not into $14.99 for a book.

I was hooked from the beginning. I read it in one day. I loved reading about his cases, his co-workers, and job politics.

Thank you for sharing your story and life.
Josh
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so well written and exhilarating throught it's entirety! I would recommend this to absolutely everyone! Might just be my favorite book to date! Nicely done Michael McGowen and thank you for your service to our country.
Mike Jortberg
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a big fan of FBI books and stories and this one is one of the best. McGowan is disruptive and an effective UCO acting as real life characters.
Pam
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed

Loved the stories about cases and how things got done. Wonderful story teller and I will look out for more from him.
Cheryl Strong
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Had me hooked from page 1. So interesting and entertaining. Read it in 3 days!
Jack
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow a great read and look into what it takes to get the bad guys off the streets great read.....
Betsy
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I really enjoyed this book. It was a page turner that I couldn't put down. Read in one afternoon.
Bill Miller
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wish I could give it 10 stars.
Karndog
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting ride-along with the FBI undercover operations.
Jeff
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ghost by Michael McGowan
This book is a memoir of an FBI undercover agent. He tells fascinating stories about some of the cases he worked on, how he trained others and what it means to be on an undercover assignment.
I first heard of this book on the radio where he was being interviewed by some sports talk show hosts. I was very interested in what he was talking about, how he described the cases and what being an FBI agent meant to him.
Fast forward to getting his book a few weeks later… The book
Payne
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy read - the writing is very straightforward. Fascinating scenarios, but it really doesn't convey the drama and tension that must have gone with the job. Nonetheless, thank you for your service.
Rhonda
Emiline Stewart
Mar 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Healing: One Woman's Journey from Poverty to Inner Riches
  • Dancing for the Devil: One Woman's Dramatic and Divine Rescue from the Sex Industry
  • Happily Ever After: The Life-Changing Power of a Grateful Heart
  • KATE GOSSELIN: How She Fooled the World
  • Runaway Girl: Escaping Life on the Streets, One Helping Hand at a Time
  • One and the Same: My Life as an Identical Twin and What I've Learned About Everyone's Struggle to Be Singular
  • I Am Jennie
  • A Rock and a Hard Place: One Boy's Triumphant Story
  • The Human Factor: Inside the CIA's Dysfunctional Intelligence Culture
  • "We Were Five:" the Dionne Quintuplets' Story From Birth Through Girlhood to Womanhood
  • Canceled: The Story of America's Least Wanted
  • The Lives and Loves of Daisy and Violet Hilton: A True Story of Conjoined Twins
  • The Nighttime Novelist: Finish Your Novel in Your Spare Time
  • 100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on Any Diet Plan
  • Destiny Calls (The Phoenix Rising, #1)
  • Safari: A Photicular Book
  • Travel to Tomorrow (Fifties Chix, #1)
  • Starve Better: Surviving the Endless Horror of the Writing Life
FBI Special Agent (Retired) Michael R. McGowan served more than 31 years of dedicated FBI service before retiring in 2017, almost all of which was working undercover against some of the most dangerous, sophisticated, and notorious criminal organizations and individuals. He now writes novels and consults to the entertainment industry.