Start by marking “The Devil You Know (Ceasefire, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil You Know (Ceasefire, #1)

The Devil You Know

(Ceasefire #1)

My name is Mavi StClair.
I’m a monster with a pretty face. An assassin in trade. Guilt, remorse, it’s never touched me. I’m as cold as they come and just as professional.
Dealing death has always come easily, and I inflict it with ease. It fuels and feeds the twisted darkness inside me.
Published April 12th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Devil You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil You Know

Start your review of The Devil You Know (Ceasefire, #1)
Kat Valentine
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a total mind f##k!!! So friggin twisted and dark as hell,but I loved it!!! Their are so many twist's and turns and a lot of who the hell are the bad guys anyway!!! Just about the time you think you've figured things out Claire pulls the rug right from out from under you and your like what the frigg just happened ! And her characters are so deeply screwed up and warped especially Mavi she is a assassin for gabriel and she has a real taste for killing and f##king and when she comes across Max ...more
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️STARS.
ARC BOOK REVIEW.

I absolutely loved "The Devil You Know" by Claire Marta.

photo 2G4_zpsj536phdq.gif

From the minute I started reading this I was hooked.
I'm a sucker for a dark depraved read and this one for me definitely hit the spot.
I do so adore me a twisted Heroine that struggles but eventually embraces her dark side and with Mavi StClaire we get this in spades.

giphy (2)

She is one bad flower as the mysterious Max liked to call her.
And this is one girl who makes no apologies for who she is and keeps her card
DW
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The mysterious and sexy Max was my favorite character. He has some dark secrets that I almost didn’t see coming.

It’s a pretty intense battle between good and evil.

Will Mavi go to the dark side or continue to fight for the good guys?

Hopefully book 2 will give us the answers that we need!! ❤️
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This book annoyed me to hell and back. Maybe it's been a while since I've read anything BDSM themed, maybe that's why I found this one difficult. I thought Mav was pathetic and nothing she did could change my mind.

I know she was bound to the devil but I just could not understand her craving him so much that her soul needs him and yiddy ya. She is suppose to be the most lethal assassin, people hear her name and they shit their pants but I thought she was a lethal as a bunny rabbit. Everyone took
Ashley Gallegos
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review with absolutely zero idea what kind of book it was. Let me be clear - this book is raunchy and raw and erotica is totally not my thing. But I loved this book!

This story follows Mavi, assassin for archangel Gabriel. Mavi is one helluva complex character and becomes even more real and relatable as you read. This is a story that dwells in the supernatural/paranormal world. In fact, if you like the TV show, Supernatural, you will love t
Kerry Pruett
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I wasn't sure what I was in for when I started this book. I was drawn in from the beginning. I was intrigued. I have always loved the books and movies of Angels against the devil and all other mythical creatures. This story just brings a new adult version to those I already had. I always knew the devil was a SOB but I think he may have met his match in Mavi. I can't wait to read the next one, and see if or how Mavi wraps the devil around her finger. Well maybe they team up and make a hell o ...more
Janneke Wolbers
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the concept of this story.
However some parts left me confused and made me read back a few times before i got it.

There were also a few times where the story jumped from one spot to another.
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
Dark, intense, exciting, and fun! The heroine is strong and smart but not perfect. All the side characters are interesting and have a lot of depth. The plot is great with several twists and turns. Loved this book and can't wait for the next one!!

Reviewed by: Amanda A.
Coco.V
Jul 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon today (7/16/2018)!💝

Blurb:
My name is Mavi StClair.
My downfall begins with a single night of untamed passion leaving me hungering for more of him.
One wicked soul recognizing another.
Now he owns me.
The lines of what I kn
Kandace
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting

This book started off as a 3 star read for me. It was kinda confusing at first and took me some time to catch on, but once I did I really liked it. The ending is CRAZ-E.
Maddy
Kick ass heroine who did not take any crap (hooray!). Yes she is messed up, takes a bit too much delight in causing pain and seeing blood fly...but hey, no one is perfect.
We have a dark brooding handsome guy. Murders and mystery. What more do you want?
OK i kinda guessed who our gorgeous 'hero' was quite early on, but all the other things came out of no where for me and i loved it!
Alice Roux
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know when you're reading a booking that is so fucking good you forget to stop for lunch or to drink something or to pee?!

Well that was this! Claire Marta's newest book - The Devil You Know is soooo fucking hot I nearly burned my eyeballs. Angels, Demons, assassins, sex, violence, chemistry that melts your skin - this book has it all. I devoured it.

Keep your eyes peeled for this baby at the end of the month. If you like dark, paranormal and sexy then you're in for a treat!
Socially Book Nerd
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great series in the mist for this Author! I loved it. Mavi is delightfully wicked. Cease Fire is a crew I'd love to be part of. The Devil himself is after her and the crew of Cease Fire, keeping you turning the pages to see what happens next. Don't get me started on the demons and their discretions. Claire brings them to life, as if I will pass one on the street. a definite must read!
Lou
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been really naughty! I read that book when it first came out and I'm only now writing my review, and its July!!
This book was an incredible read, it dark, twisted, emotional and erotic. The Devil You Know pushes the boundaries of your imagination, it reveals all the hidden corners in your mind, the places where your dark desires hide.
This story has created a world and characters that suck you in and keep you there. It also leaves you wanting; no needing; more. I reached the end, but I still
Betty Shreffler
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! It satisfied my craving for a dark, erotic, paranormal book and left me with a book hangover, wanting more. The female lead is strong and kicks butt which is how I like the female leads to be. The chemistry between Mavi and Max is off the charts and I especially enjoyed every intimate scene they had together. There were so many twists and turns that kept me eagerly turning the pages. I fell for the bad guy male lead, who's oh so bad, and oh so yummy. I definitely recommend thi ...more
♥️Fantasy Land  Book Reviewer♥️
For my first Claire Marta story, I fell in love. I love paranormal stories and I love dark stories, and this one is both. There are a strong heroine and hero add, demons, vampires, and angels and you have a huge hit.

Mavis is a human that works for an angel as an assassin. She kicks a$$ and doesn't have a problem doing it. She loves her job and doesn't let anyone get in her way. But when she notices Max her juices start flowing towards him.

These two have a chemistry that blows you away. I love
Anna Edwards
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just Wow! Dark, Sexy and Paranormal. What is there not to love about this book. Nothing, that's what.
Claire has done a marvellous job with the characters. She's woven intricate individuals that I'm so in love with. Mavi struggles with her dark side, Max is HOT HOT HOT. A must read, even if you aren't into paranormal normally because it's such a good story.

Loved it and highly recommended.
Ida Jolley
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing read by Claire Marta. A very dark, erotic, paranormal story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. My first book by this author that I have read. It has a lot of twists and turns that will keep you guessing, a strong female character who takes charge. Mavi will kick a$$, and so will the rest of her male characters. A fantastic book.
Nikki Landis

Sometimes wicked, dark, sexy things are awfully good for the soul. This is no exception with The Devil You Know, a deliciously twisted and erotic tale that pushes the envelop in PNR and stretches the imagination to all the hidden corners of your mind, seeking out your darkest and most insidious desires. I devoured this book in nearly a day and didn't want it to end. Both shocking and riveting, TDYK will take you on one WILD RIDE.

I loved Mavi and her take charge, no bull, strong woman and sex
K.M. Lowe
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Claire Marta, and I did enjoy it. It's a twist of paranormal, erotica, and BDSM. It's sexy, dark, and addictive. The story was captivating enough with plenty of twists and turns. There is a cliff hanger, but I look forward to reading book 2.
Charlotte
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of paranormal elements

*SPOILER ALERT*
Be ready for a cliffhanger at the of this book. Mavi is a harass character who works for an angel, but has a barely leashed darkness in her. I liked the story here. The minions of he'll get together to try to defeat Lucifer and take over Hell, is a new approach especially when all the sex is added.
Aղցela W.
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
review coming
Jessy's 🌘escape from reality🌒
This book was just okay. If you are looking for lots of fuckery then this is for you. I need more action with a somewhat good plot. The characters were robotic instead of engaging almost like a script being played out. There was no depth and somewhat confused me at times. This book kept my interest enough to finish but that's about it. I won't be finishing this series.
lauren
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Ugh!!!!!

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. The beginning had me hooked, a badass assassin, I'm a sucker for a strong female role. but with all that being said, and all the many bad a** qualities she possessed I felt she was weak. At 60% of this read, I was rolling my damn eyes. The pity parties, the " I'm a freak" . The I can't do anything right. I wanted more badass assassin back, not the sad crybaby who seemed she could not stop spreading her legs for a man who literally used her as bait
Ambrosia
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The writing was good, the plot very interesting! The twist and turns mindblowing.
But yes, because there is a but, i was disappointed with how easy it was for the hero to share the heroine. That's just a big no for me, an alpha just doesn't share his woman. All his men could take her in the ass or in the mouth but her vagina was for him only. I'm sorry but how stupid is that? And i'm not even gonna talk about the rape scene.
It's a pity because except for that this book was really good and grabbi
Dawn Higgins
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love a dark read,throw in the paranormal as well and i was hooked,this didn't dissappoint me at all,only the one gripe for me was a few typos and the plot got a bit slow half way through,but saying that the paced picked up along with lots of twists to the story with helpings of hot steamy rauchy sex.....phew!! If you love Demons, Archangels,Shifters and Warewolves you are in for a fantasic ride with plenty of action and lots of sex.The fabulous characters in the form of Max (Lucifer),plus one ...more
Emma Luna
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Book: The Devil You Know (Ceasefire Book 1)
Author: Claire Marta
Rating: 4 stars
Reviewer: Emmasromaticreviews17 on Facebook
Note: I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first time that I have sat down to write a review and I am not quite sure that I have the right words to describe how great this book actually is. I think the less you know about the actual plot the better as I enjoyed discovering things I was not expecting. This book is categorised as a paranormal romance bu
Tina
Holy cow!! There is nothing like a badass heroine that isn’t afraid to go the distance or an author not afraid to make her too evil or badass! Yet she is still like able and has regular emotions too. Loved the world building, the secondary characters, and the sexy times. There is some conclusion to parts of story so not what I would call a traditional cliffhanger but it’s there. Rrrrrr.

(view spoiler)
Book Snob Sue
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, this book just gripped me and took me for a wild ride. I honestly don’t know where to start. Nothing and nobody is what they seem in this book. Anything you think you know, you don’t. This book will leaving you saying “What the???” and “WTF”, it is an intricate game, that Mavi, our badass heroine doesn’t even know she’s playing. And if you have any triggers at all...probably not for you, because I think most triggers are in this book, but the warning is in the book description too. This was ...more
Nightbird Novels
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4.5 Stars

Mavi StClair is an assassin who works for the "good guys." Ridding the world of one disgusting being at a time, she can only hope she is making some kind of progress to make the world a better place.

And then she meets Max Reed. He is an enigma in her already confusing world, but she can't keep herself from being drawn to him.

Something big is happening, and her entire world is being flipped on it's axis. The things she thought she knew and the people she thought she could trust, are all
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Broken (Omega's Destruction #1)
  • King of Hearts (Old Money Roulette #2)
  • Creeping Beautiful (Creeping Beautiful, #1)
  • Andorra Sector (X-Clan #1)
  • Ace of Spades (Old Money Roulette #3)
  • Savages (Badlands #1)
  • Queen of Diamonds (Old Money Roulette #1)
  • Deviants (Badlands #2)
  • Nameless Fate (Fated Mate #1)
  • Koyn (Royal Bastards MC: Tulsa, OK, #1)
  • Bad Blind Date (Billionaire's Club, #8)
  • The Rise of Saint
  • Damaged (Omega’s Destruction, #2)
  • Choosing Her Alpha
  • Embracing Destiny (The Fae Chronicles #6)
  • Forbidden Eyes (Cane, #4)
  • Seven Sins of Snow
  • The Captive (Savage Mountain Men #1)
A native Brit, I live in Italy with my husband and daughter. When I am not writing and drinking copious amounts of tea, I enjoys taking photos of my adoptive country, trying to stay fit with running, reading amazing books and being a stay at home mother.

You can follow me for News and Updates on my books on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/clairemartab...

If you love my book then why not

Ceasefire (6 books)
  • The Devil's Plaything (Ceasefire, #2)
  • From Ashes & Embers (Ceasefire, #3)
  • A Hellion Heart (Ceasefire, #4)
  • The Dove & the Darkness  (Ceasefire, #5)
  • SM (Ceasefire, #6)

News & Interviews

“Can I just say I’m terrified and yet powerfully aroused right now.” Snatch mutters, plucking nervously at the sleeve of his sweatshirt. “You’re like a wet dream and a nightmare in one.” I throw him an amused look. “Gabriel said no survivors.” “It scares the shit out of me how much you enjoy doing all this.” 0 likes
“The cut of his black tailored suit emphasises his sheer size. He’s all muscle, shoulders broad and powerful. Sex on legs. Drawing the looks of every female in the area.” 0 likes