Start by marking “More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)” as Want to Read:
More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)

More Tales to Chill Your Bones

(Scary Stories #3)

Storytellers know — just as they have for hundreds and hundreds of years — that everyone enjoys a good, scary story!

Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories 3 joins his other popular collections of scary folklore, Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark and More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark, to give readers spooky, funny and fantastic tales guaranteed to raise goose bumps.

Who is the
Published 1991 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about More Tales to Chill Your Bones, please sign up.
Raven It depends on your age Abigail and how much you like to be creeped out or scared. If you are younger and do not like horror very much you will likely …moreIt depends on your age Abigail and how much you like to be creeped out or scared. If you are younger and do not like horror very much you will likely be scared by some of the stories. If you are older and love horror, these stories are creepy and funny. (less)
Raven There are three. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark #1, #2 and #3.

Start your review of More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)
Mischenko
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on Halloween Reads for Kids @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

This is a book full of chilling stories and urban legends which are sure to get you trembling. The illustrations are incredibly creepy!

Footsteps, Such Things Happen, The Wolf Girl, and The Trouble are a few of our favorites. It also contains one of our favorite scary poems titled You May Be The Next… which also includes the short tune with notes to sing or play.

You May Be The Next…

Did you ever think as a
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪

This third volume of the series felt much more "grown up" and interesting compared to the other two. The stories were a lot of fun, and I loved the urban legends especially. I also appreciated the research notes, as they give background information about the work of the author. Now I want to see the movie! Has anyone seen it and can recommend?
Maliha Tabassum Tisha
At first, I had felt quite disinclined to read this one, having read book #1 & book #2 . I didn't hate those books, but I also didn't love them much either. They had just been two quick, refreshing reads for me and I wasn't interested in this series anymore. But then I thought (my OCD thought), just a tiny li'l book is what I'm leaving out in this series and if it doesn't get any better, it can't possibly be a waste of time. Hence, I started reading this book and guess what. IT DOES GET B ...more
Juli
This series of children's horror stories was a favorite of my oldest son. He presented me with copies of the books as he was leaving to serve in the Navy. Nostalgia from his childhood. What he remembered the most was the creepy-cool artwork by Stephen Gammell. Imagine my horror when I found out (while I was re-reading the series) that when they reprinted the books as a 30th anniversary celebration, they changed the artwork. While Brett Helquist is a talented artist, what made this book series re ...more
Penelope (Penelope’s Picks)
3.5/5

Better than the second, but nowhere near as good as the first!
Katiria
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ahh, the last and final book of the Scary Stories Trilogy and what an amazingly dark and creepier book this one was. More Tales to Chill Your Bones was a bit darker and spookier than the first two books and I really loved and enjoyed reading this book so much. I remember reading some of the stories when I was a kid and it was a great nostalgic feeling reading stories that I have read when I was a kid.

The stories I remember reading in this book when I was a kid were The Wolf Girl, The Bus Stop a
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
All the nostalgia. I also enjoyed reading the back sections explaining what each story was based on. The illustrations are the best!
Anna  Gibson
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The "Scary Stories" trio was one of the more infamous books at my elementary school's library - everyone wanted to read them, and for good reason - they're fun, spooky, and the illustrations are both beautiful and downright terrifying! The stories are a collection of folktales, ghost stories, and campfire stories, meant to be read aloud with a group of friends. However, they're perfectly scary even if you're just reading them to yourself on a rainy afternoon. The stories within these three books ...more
Ronyell
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the Scary Stories series!
Scary

YES! YES! YES!

Finally, I got the chance to read the final set of stories from Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell’s controversial yet popular series, “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” called “Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones!” In celebration of Halloween, I have decided to revisit this little gem of a series again and I was seriously not disappointed!

This book mostly has a set of scary stories that will haunt you in your sleep, so here are a couple of stories out of
Peter Derk
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Duh, assholes.

Did you know there's a section in the back that tells the origins of all the stories? I didn't. Because that's about the last thing I wanted to read as a kid. Oh, a bunch of text with almost no pictures, and it references other books and shit? NO THANKS.

But as an adult, I have a modicum of patience. I don't know how to measure modicums, how many modicums you get to a gallon or whatever, but enough patience to read a few pages and learn some fascinating shit.
Matt
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great ending to the series that is better than the second installment equipped with top notch illustrations and interesting tales.
Armand
I think that aside from the entertaining narration by Schwartz, what made these tales deeply effective and memorable are Gammell's illustrations. I remember how I would scare myself silly when I zoom in on some particularly egregious feature, like sharp teeth that can chomp you bit by bit or moldy, skeletal arms that will grab you and drag you to who knows where. Looking at these drawings now, they have a spare and almost atavistic beauty that's fascinating and disturbing at the same time.

Each b
Kristi
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the most memorable series of books from my childhood. The stories in the books aren't particularly scary; some are humorous, some are eerie, some will give a kid chills...some are not even original to Mr. Schwartz, and are the sort of urban-legend stories you hear around the campfire growing up.

No, what makes these spectacular books stand out as fine examples of kindertrauma is Stephen Gammell's most excellent illustrations.

Some of them still give me heart palpitations, even as an adult.

I
Ericka annamarie
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
after two other books i had feared the third would be missing something but it truly does is not. it's just as enchanting and scary as the first two and i can see myself rereading this series for years to come.
Mel
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was okay? The worst in the collection by far. But the spider story in this has remained so vivid in my memory that it’s the sole reason I wanted to reread any of these stories! Because this collection holds that story, it will always be relevant to me.
Dan
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a 31 year old man and I read some of these stories before bed and they creeped me the fuck out.

The illustrations are truly terrifying. Well done, Stephen Gammell. Well done.
McCaid Paul
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Favorites: The Black Dog, Bess, Harold, Maybe You Will Remember, The Red Spot, and The Trouble
Abigail
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Readers Who Enjoy Scary Stories / Folklore Enthusiasts
Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones, illustrated by Stephen Gammell.

Noted folklorist Alvin Schwartz and Caldecott Medal-winning illustrator Stephen Gammell, who previously collaborated on Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (1981) and More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (1984), joined forces again in this third collection of frightening tales, first published in 1991. Here we have twenty-five tales, culled from traditional folklore and more recent urban legends and presented
DeAnna Knippling
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what was different about this one. Maybe it's me. But I loved this one...
Kim Friant
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars— Ivan and I went to see Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark in the theater when it came out. We saw the preview and were intrigued so we watched it. I enjoyed it enough that I decided to get the books and read them. I think they’re such good books to introduce horror to kids! Obviously, it varies from kid to kid, but these books definitely work on the creepy side without being ridiculously scary. I read thru all 3 books in about an hour and found them engaging and chilling. I won’t go so f ...more
Melinda Brasher
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think most of these stories were particularly scary or well told, but they’re kinda fun, and some had a good creepy base or nice chilling elements. The thing I found most interesting were the notes at the back, where the author described the history or origins or the story, along with noting similar stories and talking about story categories and classifications, according to folklorists. Don’t skip those fascinating notes. Nice illustrations, too.

More accurate rating: 3.5
Emily
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Everything was normal. Then nothing was."

I enjoyed book 3 more than book 2, but not as much as book 1. Why are there so many dead animals in books 2 and 3? My top 5 stories in this collection are Harold, The Dead Hand, The Dream, Sam's New Pet, and The Red Spot. I'm glad I had a chance to re-read these before the movie!
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first two.
Ain Ashura
Actual rating 3.5
Sabrina Ye
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars. This book is probably the least scary one out of the series, but it still got some super interesting stories that I really enjoyed ❤️
Jessica C Writes
This was good, but not quite my favorite. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit more forgettable than the last one!
Romee Darling
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT

The one with the girl whose mother's existance seemed wiped out gave me eternal chills.
Elyse
The final chapter of Scary Stories! As fun as the other 2. Now I can give them to my nephew for his 7th birthday! And I finally realized where I knew Brett Helquist from. He illustrated Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events!
Ashley  Marie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readingwitfoxes
More creepy stories to love!
Nhi Nguyễn
Compared to the second book in the “Scary Stories” trilogy, this third book fell short just a little bit when it comes to satisfying my horror story craving. Some of the first few stories were, to me, meaningless and didn’t make me go “holy shit!”. However, there were some stories that are very unforgettable, including stories about weird/dangerous situations that can happen in real life, such as “Maybe you will remember”, “Harold” and “The Dead Hand”. These are the horror tales that scared me t ...more
"The Trouble" True? 3 41 Dec 06, 2012 09:56AM
Halloween, horror lovers... 2 18 Dec 06, 2012 09:45AM

• Scary Stories to Tell if You Dare 2
  • More Bones
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • Nightmare Hour: Time for Terror
  • LOVER (DELUXE ALBUM VERSION 4)
  • LOVER (DELUXE ALBUM VERSION 2)
  • LOVER (DELUXE ALBUM VERSION 3)
  • LOVER (DELUXE ALBUM VERSION 1)
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
Alvin Schwartz was the author of more than fifty books dedicated to and dealing with topics such as folklore and word play, many of which were intended for young readers. He is often confused with another Alvin Schwartz, who wrote Superman and Batman daily comics strips and a novel titled The Blowtop.

Scary Stories (3 books)
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)

News & Interviews