Start by marking “Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)” as Want to Read:
Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)

Tiamat's Wrath

(The Expanse #8)

4.60  ·  Rating details ·  16,370 ratings  ·  1,360 reviews
Thirteen hundred gates have opened to solar systems around the galaxy. But as humanity builds its interstellar empire in the alien ruins, the mysteries and threats grow deeper.

In the dead systems where gates lead to stranger things than alien planets, Elvi Okoye begins a desperate search to discover the nature of a genocide that happened before the first human beings exist
Published March 26th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Tiamat's Wrath, please sign up.
Trebor Christmas has officially been cancelled! Those extra three months are going to feel like one of those cereal box offers where you have to wait 6-8…moreChristmas has officially been cancelled! Those extra three months are going to feel like one of those cereal box offers where you have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery. It felt like an eternity when you were a little kid. I will persevere!(less)

·  16,370 ratings  ·  1,360 reviews

Reader from PT
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeaaaaahh....

Kevin Kelsey
“The universe is always stranger than you think. It didn’t matter how broad her imagination was, how cynical, how joyous and open, how well researched or wild minded. The universe was always stranger. Every dream, every imagining, however lavish and improbable, inevitably fell short of the truth.”

March 26th rolls around, my copy of Tiamat’s Wrath, the penultimate novel in the long running Expanse series downloads to my Kobo, I pick it up and read the first sentence. Four words, three of them inn
Bradley
Wow. Just wow.

I'm really afraid to say just about anything for fear of spoiling the crap out of this novel. It's just one of those things. I mean, I counted three times I cried and I won't tell you whether it is tears of rage, sadness, or happiness. That would be TELLING, you know?

But if I'm okay with being all general and gushy and stuff, and if anyone has read any of my reviews, they know I am, then I'll just go, "Oh, wow, What A NOVEL."

Duarte's Empire and the Resistance. There are no whiny ne
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I can’t remember the last time I actually yelled at a book.

Coming back to this series felt like embracing family after being gone a few years… like coming home. In my mind, these characters are real people. Their development is so on-point, I always feel their triumphs and defeats poignantly. These authors are brilliant. And I have to say, they really set out to shred my soul with Tiamat’s Wrath. Holy shit.

Truth be told, I’ve been really apathetic lately with books. This is the first novel in a
Kemper
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, space, sci-fi, expanse
If you’re a fan of this series the very first sentence will break your heart.

Do things get better after that? Let’s see what one of the characters has to say about the possibility of good things happening after bad things:

”Sometimes it’s just one shit sandwich after another.”

Truth.

So yeah, there are a couple of moments in this that absolutely suck if you’re invested in these characters. That’s not to say that all hope is lost, and that there aren’t some good fist-pumping “Hell yeah!” moments. Th
Ashley
One of these days I’m going to have to do a full-series Expanse re-read. Probably not until after next year, when the last book is published. But whenever that happens, I feel like this book might be worth five stars. Maybe the last one, too. I actually finished it when it was first published over two months ago, but I’m so far behind in my reviews, this one isn’t going to super informative. I remember it traumatizing me, but in a good way.

All that to say, this was a really solid penultimate nov
M.
I hate you, book.
I hate you,
I hate you,
I hate you.

I've been waiting all my life for a novel like this. Thank you, Daniel and Ty.
Silvana
Another excellent entry, nerve-wrecking as it was. It was beautiful. It was exhilarating. It was sad at times. Corey pulled some punches and hit me right in the gut. I think I cried twice in one day over this. Why? I was invested, that's why. I cared about the characters and their ordeal deeply, having stayed with them for the last, what, four years.

A lot of things I said about The Expanse novels in my previous reviews - except Persepolis Rising since I forgot to write one - and I will not repe
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/04/15/...

As the penultimate book in the epic Expanse series, Tiamat’s Wrath gives one the feeling of an entire galaxy holding its collective breath—things aren’t so much happening as they are preparing the field for the final play. And yet, if you’ve been on this train since the beginning, you’ll know that James S.A. Corey, the collaborative team of Daniel Abraham and Ty Frank writing as one, isn’t going to let that get in the wa
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars - Video Review: https://youtu.be/oWtGyTmzisc
I just can't get enough of this epic space series and this latest installment did not disappoint!

As always, I loved getting to spend more time with the returning characters. I missed certain perspectives in this book, including few fan-favourites, but, by the end of the book, I understood why those choices were made.

As in previous installments, this book introduced new characters with their own POV chapters. Elvi’s chapters were among my favo
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 5: 4.5*
Book 6: 4*
Book 7: 4.5*
Book 8: 4.25*

I will say first and foremost this setup book 9 which is supposed to be the final installment to be quite the epic conclusion. Those last two lines of dialogue were so simple but the ramifications anything but.

The problem, and it's a minor quibble, with most of these books in the series is it takes forever to get momentum. Lollygag, review, renew acquaintances while slow burning the story. In the end i
Aoife
Mike
Look, we're at the eight Expanse book. If you don't know what you are getting yourself into by now I can't do much to help you. I will say that this installment is just as fresh, original, compelling, and exciting as the first seven (ok, so the fourth book was a little weak but the rest are stupendous). It immediately left me wanting the ninth book.

I do have one observation on the series as a whole. To me the theme of the series is how various social structures can act contrary to the needs of t
Efka
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, sci-fi, space-opera
Tiamat's Wrath started so bad for me, that at some point I've wondered will it be more than two stars. The first 1/3 of the book had been slower than a turtle race, full of contemplations and prolonged thoughts and musings about life and almost an instruction-level technological details, but no action whatsoever. It had been quite hard - or, more like, boring - to read this book at that moment, so I guess no wonder it took me quite a while to finish this book.

Luckily, when the action finally st
Shaun Hutchinson
Gutted. But Tiamat’s Wrath was so freaking good. Sad that this is the penultimate book in the series. I’m going to hate to say goodbye to these characters.
Lindsay
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
If the previous book was Bobby and Amos's book, this one is Naomi, Alex and Holden's, with a strong introduction of Teresa Duarte as a point-of-view character and the reintroduction of Elvi Okoye as another.

Laconia has won and Wilson Duarte is now the High Consul of an empire that spans 1,300 star systems, including Earth and Medina station, with complete control over the gate network. Bobby, Alex and Naomi are leading the underground forces against the Laconians but things look grim for any res
Veronique
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Persepolis Rising and dealing with all the changes the authors made, I wondered how they would follow on in this sequel. As it happens, exceedingly well :O)

The narrative picks up a short time after the events of the previous novel, with our crew separated and dealing with Duarte’s despotism, in control of all humanity in his empire. As always, we have several narrators, with Holden still being the constant but in a reduced fashion, echoing his prisoner status on Laconia. Naomi, Bob
Emily
Another iffy installment in this series. Why not more stars? A few reasons - the book was super slow at the beginning (actually in the middle too), Naomi's storyline was really boring, Holden was barely in the book (not enough Amos either), and the plot doesn't seem to be progressing - none of the big questions were answered or even partly answered. All we get is more questions.

I do like this series, but find the books to be hit and miss. I don't think I'll reread the entire thing before the fi
Rob
Executive Summary: It's hard to say why I gave this book 5 stars without massive spoilers, so I'll simply say that I was always looking for reasons to keep listening, and had I been reading it instead I would have finished it much sooner.

Audiobook: Another great job by Jefferson Mays. Early on I didn't find him that impressive, but when he didn't do Cibola Burn I realized how much I liked him for the series. I'm not sure if he's a narrator that I'd pick up another series for, but he's the only o
Kate
I've just finished this and I'm speechless - it is superb! One senses that the end is near but Tiamat's Wrath is every bit as good as the very best of The Expanse. Completely engrossing, disturbing and troubling, full of heart and sacrifice, packed with action, and with an alien threat that is as thoroughly terrifying as it is mysterious. Bravo! Review to follow imminently on For Winter Nights.
Doug
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book but a bit boring at first.

The lack of momentum at the start is surprising because this is the eighth book in a great series, and the seventh installment ended with a really tantalizing cliffhanger. So, I was totally caught off-guard when I just could not get into this book. It's true that I was a bigger fan of this series for the first four entries when the alien stuff was front-and-center. Ever since the fifth book, the series has become more about intra-human political drama, and
William
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5+ Stars Extraordinary.

Book after book after book, each one somehow better than the previous, all of them 5+ Stars.

Tiamat's Wrath is astounding and wonderful and very, very sad. Be prepared for tears.

As usual with my reviews, please first read the publisher’s blurb/summary of the book. Thank you.

Okay, here it is: If you haven't read the previous books, then start with book #1, Leviathan Wakes and enjoy what is definitely the greatest space opera series of all time.

Full size image here

17%
Tere
Trish
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wild ride! This is the 8th book in the The Expanse series and, as far as I know, the penultimate novel. As such, it was time to up the game, for shit to REALLY hit the fan - and boy, did it ever!

After Duarte took over, defeating the Earth-Mars coalition in the previous book, we now get a more or less firmly established empire. Laconia is the capital, ruling thousands of worlds much like Rome did so long ago.
Our favourite ragtag band is split up: Holden is a prisoner at Laconia, Naomi is
imyril
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
OH.

MY.

Corey has mastered the art of pushing me to the raggedy edge. Every book has become a gruelling emotional marathon: high stakes, high tension, highly personal. Tiamat's Wrath doesn't share Nemesis's relentless book-long escalation of terror - Corey took pity this time; the tension ebbs and flows - but it never pulls its punches.

And I am bruised, people.

Tiamat's Wrath doesn't disappoint. Expect one of those all-consuming reads where you don't want to pause to take care of bodily functions
C.T. Phipps
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

TIAMAT'S WRAITH is the latest volume of the Expanse. The Expanse struck science fiction like a breath of fresh air and is basically serving as Game of Throne's slightly less successful brother in bringing genre fiction to the mainstream. It's a high concept series about wealth, power, politics, and an alien molecule that defies the laws of physics. Honestly, you can tell how much I like the Expanse in the fact that I'd still be happy to read the series if
Skylar Phelps
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This series continues to be my go to recommendation to my friends. It is so well done! This last installment topped them all. I’ve been blown away so many times so far that I’d be surprised if there’s anything left of me to blow over by the end. I find myself wishing that it just won’t end...
Suzanne
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After finishing the books in this series I always feel a combination of drained and strong desire to read the next book RIGHT NOW. Big things happened, and I think there are scary and big things yet to come.
Cathy
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
To quote one of my reading buddies: Wow. Just wow. That needs to settle for a bit. And I agree about the spoiler thing. Can‘t tell you a thing, you‘ll have to find out for yourself.

I was happy to meet Elvie again. And the whole of Timothy‘s story, as it was, was just delicious. I love him. Jim‘s long game was long. And... get your own copy!

I was mostly grinning happily, when I wasn‘t crying. Some great plot developments that make me look forward to the next and last book.

And that thing that I am
Soo
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
*Need to Review

Notes:
I should have waited for book 9 to be out before reading this one. I find the political threads of the plot line to be the weakest of the series. This book was a weak transition piece that goes into throwaway details.
Scott Rhee
Don’t poke the bear... This age-old expression came to mind, several times, in the reading of James S. A. Corey’s eagerly-awaited eighth (and penultimate) book in the Expanse series, “Tiamat’s Wrath”.

When last we saw the four-person crew of the Rocinante, Captain James Holden was captured and imprisoned by High Consul Duarte, the Emperor of Laconia and, after a decisive battle, all of human-inhabited space.

At the start of “Tiamat’s Wrath”, we learn that Chrisjen Avasarala is dead. (Seriously, I
The Sword and Laser: Tiamat's Wrath (Mark Spoilers) 52 136 May 25, 2019 10:26PM
Beyond Reality: Tiamat's Wrath: finished reading (spoilers)! 10 26 May 23, 2019 12:33PM
Beyond Reality: Tiamat's Wrath: roll call and first impressions (no spoilers)! 8 18 May 22, 2019 08:36PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Tiamat's Wrath [March 26, 2019] 82 130 Apr 12, 2019 06:52PM
Beyond Reality: Expanse book 8 10 50 Mar 25, 2019 09:33AM

• The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Moon Rising (Luna #3)
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
  • Agency
  • The Light Brigade
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • Perhaps the Stars (Terra Ignota, #4)
  • Untitled (The Dandelion Dynasty, #3)
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire #6)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • The City We Became
  • Invisible Sun
  • Shadow Captain (Revenger, #2)

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Untitled (The Expanse, #9)
“Distributed responsibility is the problem. One person gives the order, another carries it out. One can say they didn’t pull the trigger, the other that they were just doing what they were told, and everyone lets themselves off the hook.” 10 likes
“Chapter Fourteen: Teresa
“So not unnatural at all,” Holden said, tipping a little more wine from the bottle into the doctor’s glass.
“Meaningless term,” Cortázar said. “Humans arose inside nature. We’re natural. Everything we do is natural. The whole idea that we are different in category is either sentimental or religious. Irrelevant from a scientific perspective.”
Tiamat's Wrath”