Start by marking “What a Widow Wants (The Widows' Club, #3)” as Want to Read:
What a Widow Wants (The Widows' Club, #3)

What a Widow Wants

(The Widows' Club #3)

Widowed by the Battle of Waterloo, the ladies of Lyttlefield Park are returning to London society—with their futures in their own hands...

Fanny, the widowed Lady Tarkington, has finished mourning her cad of a husband and is ready to enjoy her freedom. The kind of freedom neither a gently bred miss nor a close-watched wife is permitted: dressing up as Aphrodite for a
Published December 18th 2018 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about What a Widow Wants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Widow Wants

Start your review of What a Widow Wants (The Widows' Club, #3)
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceI received this book for free from Lyrical Press in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

What a Widow Wants is the third book in Jaxon's latest series and I am hooked on this author. I have to say, this is my first time reading this author, and I was very intrigued by this story and I am so glad I took a chance on this author because it was well worth the read, but it was
Janet
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The widowed Lady Stephen Tarkington, Fanny to her friends, has finished mourning her cad of a husband and is ready to enjoy her freedom. The kind of freedom neither a gently bred miss nor a close-watched wife is permitted: dressing up as Aphrodite for a masquerade, drawing gentlemen away from the party, and hinting at late-night assignations with her dance partners. All is going pleasurably according to plan until the Roman god Fanny kisses during a masquerade turns out to be Matthew, Lord ...more
Cathy Geha
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
What a Widow Wants by Jenna Jaxon
The Widows’ Club #3

Frances, Lady Stephen Tarkington was widowed after her husband died at Waterloo. She has a six year old daughter and was not happily married. She had heard, and believed, that a reformed rake made the best husband only to find out that her husband had no plans to reform at all. There was another man that offered to marry her but she had set her sights on Stephen even though Matthew, Lord Lathbury had a title and proved to be the better man.
Lori D
A story of a lost chance at a true love, only to accept another choice that did not turn out well. In her coming out season, Franny fell in Love with Matthew but as things go, she ended up marrying another man she pursued. Finding out she had a cheating husband she did the same. What? Well, she took up with Matthew her old love.. Not good I would say. Years later, her awful husband passes away and she finds herself, after her year of mourning, free and feeling she will do as she pleases.
Meeting
Linda Romer
I loved What a Widow Wants. Another delightful story in the Widows Club, this one backtracks on books #1 and #2 from another couples point of view. The Lady Stephen Tarkington and Mathew, Lord Lathbury have a past and hopefully a future in this romantic read. I loved this series and am looking forward to reading more from this Author.

I give What a Widow Wants 5 stars for its passionate read.
I would recommend this book to Historical Romance Fans.
Eva
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Niki
Krystal
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
The good news is that although this is book number three in this series, all of the books take place during the same time-frame (with some events overlapping to the point they take place during the same exact time). This means that while this story focuses mainly on Matthew and Fanny, you learn enough about the others to make you want to go back and read their stories (if you haven't already). Thankfully, if you haven't read them, it won't decrease your enjoyment of this story.

The bad news? I
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

What A Widow Wants is a good book, it’s also one of those books where I flipped between liking the characters, being confused by the characters and disliking things the characters did. In short, at times both Fanny and Matthew frustrated me with their actions, but I still enjoyed their story. Sorry, I don’t mean to make this review convoluted but I’m also trying to not give away spoilers… and for this story, that is not easy.

Do two wrongs make a right? No, they don’
Marcia
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received free advanced copy of this book from the publisher. This is my unbiased and voluntary review.

The stories in the series run parallel, so there is cross over, but the each can be read as a stand alone. This book is about widow Lady Stephen Tarkington (Fanny). Ten years ago she had been swept off her "fresh from the schoolroom" young feet by rakehell Lord Stephen Tarkington. With no one male relative to advise her, she believed he loved her and accepted his marriage proposal. But within
Marti
What a Widow Wants by Jenna Jaxon was an historical read that once again brings us into the lives of the ton. This is the third book in the series called Widows’ Club. Each of the women in the club were widows, and determined to run their own lives now. Some of the women do not want to remarry and others just want to find love.

Fanny, Lady Tarkington’s cad of a husband has died and she is finally free of the horrid man. She has wanted to be free of him for a long time and has waited her year to
Pelusa Rivera
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) Yeah I so did not like this book, and regretted giving my time to it. So we meet Fanny and I get that her husband was unfaithful to her so now that she is free she wants to go all wild and is not ready to make another commitment when she feels that she has to get to know Mathew for real, since she apparently did not take as much time with her husband and he ended up being horrid. That is the beginning of this book not making sense. She apparently ...more
Debra Martin
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Frances, Lady Stephen Tarkington, is finally out of mourning for her husband and wants to enjoy life as a merry widow for a change. At her first ball she once again meets up with Matthew, Lord Lathbury, the man whose proposal she turned down before she accepted Stephen's proposal. Matthew has loved Fanny since he first met her 11 years ago and he thinks they can finally be married. Except, Fanny turned him down again. He vows he'll keep asking her until she agrees.

I usually enjoy Ms. Jaxon's
Lenna  Wright-Berry
I really hate to put a spoiler in but this whole story is based on cheating, Matthew was the ‘other man’ for Frances ‘Franny’, for 4 months. She cheated 3 years into her mistake of a marriage when her husband repeatedly cheated on her with wives of other powerful men and that of her own childhood best friend right in their marriage bed. If I would have known about the cheating even as a revenge sort I wouldn’t have read this story. And to have a 6 year old child she sworn was her husbands and ...more
MDM
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
What a Widow Wants continues the “Widows Club” series by Jenna Jaxon. I enjoyed book one in the series, haven’t read book 2, but was looking forward to this one.

I didn’t like the hero of this book, and I *really* didn’t like the heroine. The book starts with the widowed Fanny at a ball, looking for a warm bodied male. We learn that she was unhappily married, is finally out of mourning, and is ready to have a commitment-free good time. Almost the first man she encounters is her lover who she
Dot Salvagin
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book started off with me not liking Fanny, our heroine, and not liking Matthew, our hero. She was just a tad too much the loose woman and he was almost a bully with his insistent marriage proposals. How I managed to stay with the story I’m afraid I can’t say. Actually I kept putting the book aside. But at about the 50-60% mark this story took off with some surprises, action and adventure that made the ending an okay read. Fanny was not totally redeemed but Matthew earned some admiration.

I
Connie Fischer
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Frances (Fanny), Lady Stephen Tarkington, is attending a masquerade ball hosted by Lady Beaumont. Fanny’s husband, Stephen, the youngest son of a marquess, was killed at Waterloo just a year ago. Fanny also has a six-year-old daughter. Tonight, Fanny is scandalously dressed as Aphrodite and she is eager to flit, flirt, and maybe enjoy a dalliance. Happy to finally throw off her mourning, she is ready to find a man with whom to have she can have a sexual encounter.

Fanny is soon approached by a
Margaret
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this and a few chapters into the book I had to put it down for about a week. Fanny wasn't a likeable heroine for me. Flighty, flirty, selfish and leading a man around by his libido, isn't exactly how I see a heroine. Her focus on being a wild widow, having lots of affairs is even more of a turn off, especially when she leaves her daughter in the care of her sister in-law, the wicked witch of London. But my deepest sympathy is for Matthew, who loves her and repeatedly asks her ...more
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Fanny has finished her morning for her cad of a husband. She wants to embrace her new freedom that only a widow can have. At a masquerade, Fanny encounters the man whose proposal she rejected years ago, Matthew, Lord Lathbury.

Matthew has one goal this season, to make Fanny his wife. With Fanny doing everything she can do to set the tongues of the ton wagging, will Matthew be able to tame her?

What could have been a great second chance at love novel ended up with me screaming at the characters.
Twilla Wickedly Sweet and Synful Book Blog
3.5 stars . This was so different. If your expecting a traditional historical romance this is not the book for you. The widow Fannie is a hot mess. She is too hot to trot even for her hero. She wants to sleep around and enjoy her freedom. This heroine is TSTL. I was majorly annoyed at how she strung Matthew along. I enjoyed this book over all but I struggled with it at the beginning. The ending was the saving grace. It was worth reading. The twist and turns just kept coming. I am considering ...more
Angela
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am totally digging this series of widows who want to live their own lives. This story brings us Matthew and Fanny. Love this couple. There are secrets and love and devastation. Matthew is definitely swoon-worthy. Any woman would be lucky to have a man like that on their side. Fanny is just so sweet you cannot help but love her. I was a little worried if the romance could work out in the end but of course it does, it is a romance. Fantastic series.

I received a complimentary copy from the
Sissy's Romance Book Review
What a Widow Wants by Jenna Jaxon is book Three in The Widow's Club series. This is the story of Matthew, Lord Lathbury and Frances 'Fanny' Tarkington.
Fanny has been a widow for about a year when she decides to go to a Masquerade ball where she meets a mystery man who turns out to be not such mystery. It was Matthew a man who had asked her to marry him but she chose the man she married, who wasn't really the best choice. Now would be there second chance at a relationship but it doesn't
Sally Hannoush
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book of the series but can be read as a stand alone. What a roller coaster of emotions! A great villain who lost his mind! Don't worry!- In the end they get their happy ever after.
Tween 2 Teen Book Reviews
I really really loved this book! I've read the previous one as well, and it was fun to see the events of the two books overlapping. I shipped the characters from the beginning and while I began to suspect the twist, it still surprised me!
Tammy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this historical read. The story is fast-paced with plenty of drama. I had a like/didn’t like relationship with the characters and found the story entertaining. A good read.
Liz Clappin
Apr 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF, the premise was ridiculous but I honestly though it would be better executed (Mary Balough’s Irresistible comes to mind as an almost identical plot). Dull characters and frankly rushed plot.
Mary Brockhoff
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book very much. It was funny but also had its share of drama.
Jill Long
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable story about a widow do ding herself after a year of mourning. I was frustrated at some predictable plot points, however i was pleased with the ending.
Trude
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Jenna Jaxson...I don't read alot of historical romance but I enjoyed this book very much. The characters are likeable...a fun story about second chance love.
Cheryl
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a good read this was! After a disastrous marriage Fanny wants to taste freedom for a while and to an extent I could understand her fears of having a marriage similar to her first one. However I did think she was unfair to Matthew, Lord Lathbury, in that she kept him waiting for her answer to his proposal. Yet, Fanny was jealous when his attention was given to other women. Matthew was a likeable character, who had loved Fanny for many years. He wasn’t one to give up easily. There are a few ...more

• The Duke I Once Knew (Unlikely Duchesses, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Duke (The Cavensham Heiresses #4)
  • Rogue Most Wanted (The Cavensham Heiresses #5)
  • The Earl Next Door (First Comes Love, #1)
  • Never Deny a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #3)
  • The Governess (Wicked Wallflowers, #3)
  • Never Say Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #4)
  • Believe in Me (The Worthingtons, #6)
  • It's Getting Scot in Here (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #1)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • No Other Duke But You (Playful Brides, #11)
  • London's Best Kept Secret (Midnight Secrets, #2)
  • Kiss Me at Christmas (Playful Brides, #10)
  • Lady Notorious (Royal Rewards, #4)
  • The Duke Is But a Dream (Debutante Diaries, #2)
  • The Wayward Bride (Besotted Scots, #1)
  • Stealing the Duke (The Scandal Sheet, #2)
  • The Girl with the Sweetest Secret (Sin and Sensibility, #2)
Jenna has been reading and writing historical romance since she was a teenager. A romantic
herself, she has always loved a dark side to the genre, a twist, suspense, a surprise. She tries to
incorporate all of these elements into her own stories. She lives in Virginia with her family and
a small menagerie of pets. When not reading or writing, she indulges her passion for the theatre,
working with

The Widows' Club (4 books)
  • To Woo a Wicked Widow (The Widows' Club, #1)
  • Wedding the Widow (The Widows' Club, #2)
  • Much Ado about a Widow (The Widow's Club, #4)