Start by marking “Welcome to the Writer's Life: How to Design Your Writing Craft, Writing Business, Writing Practice, and Reading Practice” as Want to Read:

Always wanted to be a writer? Stop wasting time and start your writing life today!

With warmth and humor, the author welcomes you into the writer’s life as someone who has been there on the other side looking in. Like a freshman orientation for writers, this book includes an in-depth exploration of all the elements of a writer's life, from your writing practice to your r
Published August 14th 2018 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to the Writer's Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to the Writer's Life

Mel
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
This... seriously reads like the literary therapy session that every writer needs at SOME point in their process. I was lucky enough to get a free copy at just the right time in my own process and I’ll forever be grateful! Just like going to reading gives you, a writer, perspective on the reality of the trade and, hopefully, inspiration to KEEP WRITING no matter what because even the most successful authors were in your shoes once (which is one piece of advice given in the book; as part of findi ...more
Quintin Zimmermann
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Secretly, all us bibliophiles wish we had the patience and talent to be a renowned writer - spending days immersed in the written word - not just reading, but creating.

Does Welcome to the Writer's Life offer us the chance to fulfil our literary aspirations?

The answer is nebulous yes and no. First of all, according to Paulette Perhach and pretty much everybody she quotes, to become a successful author, you need to write a prodigious amount, which is proceeded by even more rewrites and then subst
Anca
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-books
Welcome to the Writer's Life is truly a welcoming guide for anyone who wants to get serious about writing; it's also chockfull of useful reminders for the more experienced. Perhach writes in her introduction, "You can't control whether you're a published writer, a professional writer, or a paid writer, but you can control whether you're a writing writer." This is essential to the writing life: doing the work.

I enjoyed the playfulness of this book too. The suggestion to have an adventure once a
Chris Wolak
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-copy
If you’re a newbie writer this book will help you create your path and if you’ve been writing for years it’ll put some pep back into your step.

Reviewed on my blog: https://chriswolak.com/2019/05/17/rev...
Rosemary Rey
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great reference book for people considering their contribution to the craft. New writers and intermediate writers who need a refresher on the business can use this book as a resource. I appreciated some of the book suggestions because I'm always looking for recommendations. The book was well organized. The author's witty personality showed through in this book, keeping me interested in reading until the end.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for this book in exchange for an hone
Jennifer Gibbons
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I became familiar with Paulette Perhach's writing when she wrote the now famous Bleep It Fund (I'm changing it for family audiences) essay for Billfold. I knew whatever book she would write, I would read it. What made it even better: her first book is a writing book.
It's a lovely starter's kit on what to expect in the writing world these days. Perhach shares how serving in the Peace Corps made her become a writer. She then shares how she got work done while working a 9to5 job, and how we can do
Nadia Norin
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book is very helpful especially for aspiring writers who don't know where to start or how to start. There are inspirational and motivational sections throughout the book that would boost the readers confidence in trying out. This book is definitely very helpful to everyone.
C. S.
(Review probably to come)
Erin
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Between her own experience and in-depth research, Perhach offers a great guide for both the novice and experienced writer looking to level up his or her game!
Leah
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I needed when I didn't even know it. This book took me by the collar, shook me, and very kindly told me inches from my face that I needed to get back to work.

I've been writing for well over a decade, having made my first real attempt at a book at the age of nine. And since then, it's been nearly impossible to get me to stop. But this book reminded me of the kind of work that I need to be putting into my craft. It reminded me about how if writing is how I want to live my life, ther
Etienne
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Between the wanna be author guide, with advice and all, and the motivational book. I was less interested in the motivational part, but the guide/advice part of the book was good enough. Some advices were a bit to obvious and easy, but if you're interested in writing and no so sure how to organize or start it all, this might help you a bit!
Grace
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! It’s a wonderful resource for anyone interested in being a writer. Paulette really breaks down the various aspects of a “writer’s life” in a way that feels welcoming and accessible. I borrowed it from my library but will definitely be buying my own copy to have on hand for reference!
Stacy Kim
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This is indeed "freshman orientation" to life as a writer. It is both an inspiring and practical read for newbie writers who are still working on giving themselves permission to call themselves writers. I love how candid Paulette Perhach is with everything from her own struggles to her organizational strategies. As a result, she helps with both the outer and inner chaos of writers' lives. Her tone is encouraging and indeed welcoming, helping us to feel less alone.
Alissa McClure
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was EXACTLY what I needed. I loved her encouragement and insights and have already felt renewed and less alone in the writing world. This book is fantastic.
Alexa
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This is absolutely one of the most helpful books on writing I’ve ever read. It has so many helpful tips and a great tone that makes it easy and fun to read. I’ve already put some of her suggestions into practice and can’t wait to try more!
Kathleen Celmins
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is SUCH a great guide to writing, and a glimpse into the life of a "real" writer. Paulette's writing style is endlessly approachable, and while she makes writing (and editing) sound like a lot of work, that's because it is. Get this if you're even thinking about selling your writing.
Stephanie
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, cutting edge, I will definitely be teaching with this.
Korie Brown
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lots of good advice. I'l re-read this one.
Nick Carr-Sorensen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WELCOME TO THE WRITER'S LIFE is a much-needed guide on how to build the habits demanded of successful writers, because unfortunately, your novel can't write itself. Filled with activities to help writers of all levels stay organized and to keep writing, Perhach's book shifts its focus away from the craft of writing and focuses on the how that puts pen to paper.

Full disclosure: a year ago, before this book was published, Perhach became my writing mentor through the Hugo House in Seattle. I studie
Gabrielle Bates
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’d assumed (incorrectly) when I set out to read this book, that I was reading it primarily through the lens of a teacher, searching for nuggets of wisdom I could bring back and give students. While I did find tons to help me do that (I can’t wait to incorporate resources, lists, and anecdotes from this book into a course I’m teaching on “Demystifying the Submission Process”) I also marked a million sections that spoke to me personally. Even if you’ve been “living the writing life” for years, th ...more
Literary Soirée
With great warmth and a light fun touch, award-winning author Paulette Perhach shepherds writers to productive success in WELCOME TO THE WRITER’S LIFE. Especially good for beginners, but helpful for writers at any level who need that extra oomph to keep fighting the good fight. Covers getting started, improving craft, adding in a valuable reading habit, and mastering the biz and marketing sides. Also incorporates current success psychology and lifestyle design, while offering exercises, checklis ...more
Christi
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone who is just beginning to explore writing as a new vocation in life, this book is a wonderful window into the life of a writer. While there are many other craft books that cover different aspects of writing, this is a neat and practical little book that addresses the nitty-gritty of developing a "writing practice," and a "reading practice" for those that are just starting out.

The book is peppered with practical resources, snippets of advice from other writers, and Paulette Perhach's w
Shiloh
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sasquatch Books provided me with a free e-copy of this book for review purposes.

This is a very helpful handbook for people getting started as writers, beginning with how to actually start being a writer and working through what to expect when you're ready to start submitting for publication. Even though I mostly picked it up for review purposes, I still found it very motivating. I did encounter some issues with its formatting on the Nook, though that might be fixed at publication. Still, this is
Jenn
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely an excellent read for anyone aspiring to be a writer. The author crafts an superb narrative on her advice and motivation for a new writer. There are tips for setting a writing schedule, even for those with busy schedules. I did enjoy the book despite never having any inclination towards writing. I believe this might be loved even more by someone with acting dreams. Although I do believe many of the practices can be adopted for practices other than writing.

I was provided a copy of thi
Destiny Bridwell
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. This book was really straight for as a guide to reading and writing. It has some good and useful tips for those that are just starting to write books and how to keep all of that organized. There are parts to that help with motivation and sticking with the writing schedule that you can set for yourself. I found a few tips that I will be able to use in my own writing and is why I requested this book.
Beth
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This inspiring, witty, readable, and very informative guide is a must-read for any and all aspiring writers (for any artists or creative-types, really). It covers both the nuts and bolts of writing and submitting/publishing, as well as how to be and stay motivated and optimistic, and Perhach adds examples from her own life as a writer, which are relatable and funny. A+

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Devon Delfino
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, inspiring, heartfelt and chock-full of good advice for new (or not-so-new) writers. Highly recommend.
Michael D. Kanner
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have written and started to get published; if you have written and are still trying to be published or you are thinking of getting into writing, this is an essential read and reference.

Each chapter covers a different part of the writing process from why you should be a writer to the business of agents and publishing. Along the way, you will find experiments and writing exercises that are practical applications of the text. You can do them as you read or wait and do them later (the websit
Chelsea DeVries
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has awakened the writer in me that was almost dead. The part of me that felt like I would never get published. Who has time to write anyway? Suffers with anxiety and depression. Do I need to get an MFA to see my name on a book cover?

This book covers it all and does so from a real-life perspective.

A writer sharing her own personal tips and tricks of the trade.

This isn't a book about how to get published. This is a book about living the writing life actively and with confidence.

And using
Erica Bauermeister
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are a ton of books out there that will give you tips on establishing your writing practice. I like this one for its no-nonsense approach. Paulette Perhach draws from her own experience as well as theory to give prospective writers a breadth of topics and perspectives. But mostly, she wants to make sure you actually write—whether that's through an examination of how many hours we spend watching tv (when we could be writing), to a discussion of how to use reading to make yourself a better wr ...more