Start by marking “Hush Up and Hibernate” as Want to Read:
Hush Up and Hibernate

Hush Up and Hibernate

Leaves are falling, a cold wind is blowing, geese are heading south. Clearly, winter is coming. It’s time for black bears to do what they always do this time of year―hibernate. Kids will get a kick out of this romp of a tale about a black bear cub that finds every excuse imaginable to avoid the inevitable go-to-bed moment. Will Mama Bear finally win? Or will Baby Bear come ...more
Published August 28th 2018 by Persnickety Press

To ask other readers questions about Hush Up and Hibernate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hush Up and Hibernate

Start your review of Hush Up and Hibernate
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
“I see winter coming,” she tells her cub. “It's time to hibernate.”

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review through Hidden Gems Books.

I read this cute little book to my 5-year-old niece who really reminds me of the little bear in this story, she always seems to get extra hyper right before bedtime and always wants a snack... or two... or three lol. This is a book both children and parents will enjoy, it's the perfect bedtime story. The illustrations are beautiful
Gemma
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations in this!

I think parents everywhere can retate to this little cub.

A really enjoyable book to share with little ones.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Arc of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksirens, childrens
The leaves are falling from the trees and birds have begun flying south for the winter. It's that time of year when black bears hibernate. But this baby bear will think of every excuse imaginable to put off his hibernation. Like any young child dodging their bedtime, baby bear will go to any lengths to delay the inevitable.
__________________________________

This is a really sweet story to read for bedtime. Great for daycare curriculum as well to teach about hibernation vs migration. There are a
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What I Loved: The illustrations in this book were beautiful and thoughtful. The artwork felt so finished, you could be a part of the story and it was wonderful.

How I Felt: Oh I felt for this mama bear! She just wants to go to sleep for the winter, but Baby Bear is pulling out all the stops to stay up. The mama bear’s reactions are perfect and I felt myself connecting to her frustration and exhaustion. My favorite part was the last line in the story when she thinks she’s gotten him to sleep and
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a twist on the classic kid wont go to bed book. I have to admit, I first picked the book up because of the cover illustration. I mean, just look at baby bear's face as his mom is talking to him about how he has to go to sleep. It made me laugh just looking at it. All of McWilliam's interior illustrations are equally as enjoyable. Markle spins a story of a tired mom trying to get her little one to go to sleep. Baby finds every excuse not to - I have to say goodbye to the fish - I'm hungry ...more
Ricki
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
As I sit and write this post, it is 9:50pm, and my older child is upstairs not sleeping. The chance of him crafting an excuse to come out of his room within the next 10 minutes? High. So saying that I enjoyed this book is an understatement. I found great joy in reading this book to my son. We first read it a few weeks ago, and I've told him to hush up and hibernate a few dozen times. It's a clever book that parents will enjoy immensely. The illustrations are beautifully done. If you take a look ...more
Cynthia  Gutzwiller
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very funny and informative book. In the back there is some very informative pages about the hibernation of bears.
Mama bear told baby bear it was time to hibernate. Baby bear said he was hungry. They went and found chokecherries and ate them. She saw a flock of geese flying over, it's time. But Mama I'm thirsty. They went to the water. Why can't I stay awake? Why can't bears stay awake? What would happen? You get to listen/read to find out. Doesn't that sound like fun????? Give me a
Mary
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Besides having wonderful, colorful artwork, the book is one both children and their parents can both enjoy. It’s a cute story about a typical child stalling before bedtime, in this case a long winter nap. And along with a child’s natural curiosity, there are several educational snippets about other animals who hibernate besides instructions for kids who want to pretend to as well. This book has everything a parent could want in a book.
I received an advanced reader copy from Book Sirens in
Julie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story about a little bear who just doesn't want to hibernate. Kids everywhere are fighting bedtime stalling for just one more snack or drink, and that's exactly what little bear is doing. A very relatable story for kids and moms alike. I also liked the facts about hibernation after the story ended. Lots of great facts and tidbits for a child to learn.

Ann
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book not only for the story but the non-fiction facts about animals that hibernate at the end of the book.
Dale
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I laughed so hard I almost cried!!!! this is the best book! I will recommend this to all our teachers who come to our library looking for hibernation books. I think we'll need more than one!
Deb Duhl
Cute and educational for Autumn and Logan. The illustrations are cute and colorful
Kristi Bernard
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a parent or caregiver, you know how tough it is to get the kids to bed and to sleep. This little book shares a laughable story of a little bear having a crisis about sleeping or hibernating.

This little fellow has every excuse in the world not to settle down and hibernate for the winter. At first Mama bear was patient. Baby bear was hungry and thirsty. He played and swam. He wondered why bears had to hibernate and fish, wolves and mountain lions didn’t. Mama explained how wolves and mountain
Lynn
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Baby Bear is NOT ready to hibernate even though Mama Bear knows it is time. He employs as many delaying tactics as possible despite Mama Bear patiently explaining why hibernating is important for bears. He's hungry, he's thirsty, he needs so goodbye to the moose and the fish, the bed is too hard! Finally Mama Bear puts her furry foot down.

The story is funny and entertaining while Markle manages to impart a lot of science information along the way. Howard McWilliam's illustrations are adorable
Heidi
Baby Bear does NOT want to hibernate and keeps finding excuses for not doing so. His mother waits through all his requests until her patience is exhausted and she shoos her recalcitrant child into the den. But the ending is so typically childlike that I had to laugh out loud. What a perfect ending. In addition to the amusing back-and-forth between mother and child, the author also manages to slip in information about hibernation and the signs that the time is near. Additional information about ...more
Het boekenrijk
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hush up and hibernate from Sandra Markle and with illustrations from Howard McWilliam is a pretty book about a little bear who doesn't want to hibernate.
He has so much more to do before he can go to sleep. Kids will easily relate to the story and the excuses baby bear makes. Mama bear has a tough job bringing baby bear into their den.
In addition to the story about going to bed, this book also gives a lot of info about hibernation. Partly through the story, but also in the second informative part
Taunya Miller
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hush Up and Hibernate was given to me by Hidden Gems Books in exchange for a fair and honest review.

In this adorable childrens book, baby bear is doing everything possible to keep from hibernating. He's hungry, he's thirsty, he needs to do any and everything except go to sleep.

I loved this book because, as a mother and now grandmother raising a grandchild, I know this routine. Children will come up with some outlandish excuses to keep from going to bed. My five year old grandson loved it and
Carrie Langendorff
This is a cute picture book with wonderful illustrations. I loved how you could see the emotions on the faces of the mother bear and the baby bear. Also the fact sheet at the end of the book is a great resource if you Plan to use this book in a classroom setting or even at home to discuss with with your children.

*I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Christina
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book charming. I could relate to the mama bear as I've had two cubs who will do anything to avoid bedtime. And mama bear finally loses her cool which is completely relatable. My daughter loved all the bear and hibernation facts at the end.of the book as well. Definitely a cute book with beautiful illustration.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Autumn (Triquetra Reviews)
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable. I love the artwork - very cozy!

I was worried that this book would be Mama Bear scolding baby bear al l throughout, but instead we see a lovely stroll through the forest, and an awareness of the seasons changing.

A great book for Pagan families as well, to show the changing of the seasons and how nature gives us hints and clues as to the changes.
Jess El-Zeftawy
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-jakob
The illustrations in this picture book were surprisingly beautiful. Also, I felt like I could really empathize with Mama Bear who was exasperated with a cub who refused to hibernate. I hear you Mama Bear, I hear you.
Cat
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Humorous story of a mama bear trying to get her cub to hibernate! Pretty funny story even parents will appreciate! Still, it's also informative and explains hibernation to young ones. illustrations are large and colorful, would make a nice fall story time story!
Erin
Hush Up and Hibernate is a really cute twist on the classic trope of a little on trying to delay bedtime. Baby Bear just isn't ready to hibernate, but Mama Bear sure is! I love the addition of the non-fiction text in the back of the book about bears and their hibernation habits.
Cecilia
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The illustrations are absolutely adorable.

I relate to the mother bear. I think she would adore the book "Go The F*ck to Sleep." As such, the little bear grated on my nerves. But this is why I'll never have kids.
Alyssa Gudenburr
This book was SO funny! A twist on the classic going to bed story where a baby bear doesn't want to hibernate. This also includes some nonfiction facts about hibernation. Would make a great read aloud for elementary children due to length.
Elaine Ciarnau
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this story and its facts. It's a great way to teach children about bears and hybernation. It's easy for young kids to learn and understand.

I received an advance copy for free, and am leaving this review voluntarily.
Jane(Janelba)
A really charming book about a little bear who is not ready for hibernation and how his mother persuades him it is time. Beautiful illustrations.
I received a review copy for free in exchange for an honest review.
wildct2003
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun read. Liked the “Could you hibernate” test.
emyrose8
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable illustrations. There’s lots of science here too! Good extra info in the back and a few fun active activities for kids.
Eileen
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable illustrations! Baby bear is in no hurry to hibernate, but without Mama Bear and food he can't survive the winter. Every parent or babysitter can relate to Mama Bear's side of things.

• Randal the Elephant
  • Crow Not Crow
  • Do Doodlebugs Doodle? Amazing Insect Facts
  • Ruby's Birds
  • Giracula
  • Happy Birthday, Little Hoo!
  • When Dinosaurs Go to Bed
  • The Magic House: The Amazing Adventures of Alexander and Sophia
  • The Panda Problem
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Pushinka the Barking Fox: A True Story of Unexpected Friendship
  • Stepbrother With Benefits
  • Happy Easter, Little Hoo!
  • Polar Bear Island
  • Leila in Saffron
  • Potato Pants!
  • Rabbit and the Motorbike
  • Giraffe Problems
Sandra Markle is the author of more than two hundred children's books, which have won numerous awards, including Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor Book, IRA/CBC Children's Choice, NSTA/CBC Outstanding Trade Books for Children, NCTE Orbis Pictus Recommended, and ALA Notable Books for Children. She lives in Lakewood Ranch, Florida and frequently travels to schools sharing her program "Sandra Markle's ...more