Start by marking “Glory for Me” as Want to Read:
Glory for Me

Glory for Me

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
This is a narrative poem telling the story of three veterans returning home at the end of WWII and of their adjustment into society. The film, The Best Years of Our Lives was based on this book, with some changes.
Published 1945 by Coward-McCann, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Glory for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glory for Me

Jake
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, fiction
Wow. Glory For Me was more than I expected. The content was stronger and rawer. I had anticipated something more restrained and inspirational, something like the movie The Best Years of Our Lives, which is adapted from this book.

The film version was a Best Picture winner in 1946, with a top notch cast including two of my favorite actors of that era: Frederic March and Theresa Wright. It is one of my all-time favorite films. It is also a proverbial old Hollywood offering with tasteful and restrai
Karla
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: persons interested in the time period (WWII); people affected by a vet's return to the community
Being a big fan of the movie, The Best Years of Our Lives, I was eager to read the book it was based on. It was a surprise to discover it was written as a narrative poem, but took it on anyway. Wow.
Julian Stone
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book/poem. I can not recommend this enough. If you are fan of the movie The Best Year's of Our Lives, or a fan of powerful writing, you must read this.
Allanah Osborn
"And each had felt the kiss of death so many times, that he could only share himself with other men whose lips still wore the damp and pungent print of cold infinity."

After seeing a particularly poignant photograph director William Wyler approached writer MacKinlay Kantor and asked him to write something that could be adapted into a film , specifically a piece that dealt with the idea of WWII soldiers returning home. Glory for Me is what Kantor eventually produced.

Three WWII soldiers cross pa
Ann Otto
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Author MacKinlay Kantor was asked to write something about GIs returning from WWII that could be adapted for the screen. This dark and frank 268-page narrative poem was not expected, but it is one of the best descriptions of the returning warriors of WWII. We are inside the psyche of three men, strangers returning together by chance to a small American town. They are diverse in age and social status, and one now has a noticeable disability. Constant flashbacks help us understand how difficult th ...more
Capncarla
Elizabeth Parra
Feb 08, 2014
Snickerdoodle
Feb 13, 2014
Benjamin McKinlay Kantor, was an American journalist, novelist and screenwriter. He wrote more than 30 novels, several set during the American Civil War, and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1956 for his 1955 novel Andersonville

Kantor was born in Webster City, Iowa, in 1904. His mother, a journalist, encouraged Kantor to develop his writing style. Kantor started writing seriously as
More about MacKinlay Kantor...