Start by marking “Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children: Adapted for the Theatre” as Want to Read:
Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children: Adapted for the Theatre

Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children: Adapted for the Theatre

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Korean edition of MIDNIGHT'S CHILDREN, Salman Rushdie's novel highly regarded by the Booker Prize as the best in 25 years (Winner of the Booker of Bookers and the James Tait Black Prize). It satirizes the political and social inadequacies of post-colonial India. Translated by Kim Jin Jun. Vol 1 of 2 In Korean. Distributed by Tsai Fong Books, Inc.
Published February 18th 2003 by Modern Library

To ask other readers questions about Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children

Olivia Mainville
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Technically I was hoping to read the novel by the time I went to see the movie but the library only had the play available so I settled for that. This is the story of the magical children born in the first hour of India’s Independence from Britain on August 15, 1947, most particularly two boys who are deliberately switched at birth. I’m not a big fan of reading stage directions so I found this play to be especially confusing, what with the constant scene and setting changes. Having read “The Sat ...more
Aaron
Feb 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: literature
This review is not for the original novel Midnight's Children, which is a towering masterpiece and one of the great novels of the late 20th century. This review is for the stage play adaptation of Midnight's Children. The play has some dramatically effective moments, but is basically just a highly abbreviated summary of the novel. Half the fun of reading Midnight's Children is its dense web of references and keywords and foreshadowing and flashbacks, and that aspect of the novel is mostly absent ...more
Marc
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama, 2017
This was my first experience reading Rushdie. I didn't read the novel that this play was adapted from nor did I see the film and TV show. I enjoyed the story, history, characters (there are so many at times it was difficult to keep track of who was who).
Ian
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a stage adaptation of Rushdie's acclaimed novel of the same name (I didn't realize that when I reserved it but hey, I decided to read it anyway). It's a fantastical tale of fate, magic, class, family, religion and how they intersect with the history of a country as it tears in to three. Parts of it are brilliant language and story-wise and it wraps up rather well, but there's so many characters, whose relationships overlap and fall in and out of the story, that it was hard to follow ...more
Zac Sigler
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
If you've read Rushdie's original work, too much of the interaction of the members of the MCC has been left out, at least for my taste. Also, the last few settings (magician's ghetto, prison, pickle factory) seem very rushed. That said, nothing written by or inspired by Salman Rushdie can be bad, hence the 3 stars.
Justin
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
I accidentally read this version instead of the original novel (and only realized this after finishing). >_< I blame the library's ebook website. This version I found very difficult to follow. I'm kind of upset I read it because now the original novel won't be fresh.
Catherine Siemann
Jun 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I would love to see this staged, and it's interesting to see how such a sprawling novel is condensed, but it kept making me wish I was rereading the novel instead.
Melanie