Start by marking “Goodnight Stranger” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Stranger

Goodnight Stranger

Lydia and Lucas Moore are in their late twenties when a stranger enters their small world on Wolf Island. Lydia, the responsible sister, has cared for her pathologically shy brother, Lucas, ever since their mom’s death a decade before. They live together, comfortable yet confined, in their family house by the sea, shadowed by events from their childhood.

When Lydia sees the
Published August 2019 by Park Row Books

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight Stranger

Start your review of Goodnight Stranger
Barbara
4.5 stars: It’s difficult to put “Goodnight Stranger” into a specific genre. It’s a slow burn thriller, that is dark and almost noir-like. It’s a domestic story of stunted people, developmentally arrested due to tragedy. It’s a story of allowing a specific event to define you for the rest of your life.

Lydia, the narrator, begins by informing the reader that Baby B was a brother who died when he was a few weeks old. Lydia, her brother Lucas, and Baby B were triplets. Both Lucas and Lydia were rai
Valerie Best
This book kind of came out of nowhere for me. In the best way possible.
Lydia is one of a set of triplets, living with her only living sibling, Lucas, on remote Wolf Island (located--fictionally?--next to Martha's Vineyard). The island itself is a metaphor for the isolation of Lydia and Lucas, living alone in a rambling beach-side house. They are isolated from the world on their island, from the island in their house, and from each other in their own worlds.
Lucas is pathologically shy and avoids
Erin Khar
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I devoured Miciah Bay Gault's captivating debut novel, Goodnight Stranger. I couldn't put it down. It is at once suspenseful and moving and visceral and human. I will be thinking about this book for a very long time. Don't sleep on this. It's a perfect read.
Cher
2 stars - Meh. Just ok.

A dark (but not gory) mystery that is extremely slow to unfold and above all things, strange. I was interested enough to keep reading until the end but there were no passages that I desired to highlight. I honestly believe I will remember the general premise for a while due to its oddity, but otherwise, it was an ok, but forgettable read.
-------------------------------------------
First Sentence: Baby B was our brother, and he’d been dead all our lives.
Daniel
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite new book coming out in 2019. Gault is a singularly talented writer and a major new talent. I can't speak highly enough of this book. Read it.
Leah Angstman
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exciting, crisp, and well-paced story about regrets, choices, and letting go.
Lady Delacour
Cleanishhhh.
Foul Language.
Kathleen Gray
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lydia and Lucas live together in a ramshackle house on (fictitious) Wolf Island, the smaller, less well endowed neighbor of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. Their mother died 10 years ago, Lucas has anxiety issues, and Lydia, well Lydia came back to the island before completing a single semester at Brown to care for their mother and hasn't left since. They are the two remaining children of a set of triplets, the dead one being Baby B, whose existence, life, and death comes into question when Col ...more
Kelly
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lydia and Lucas live on a small island. After the loss of their parents, Lydia takes care if Lucas who is pathologically shy. Their triplet brother, Baby B, died as an infant. While she lived, their mother never got over this loss and constantly searched for Baby B. One day a stranger comes to the island. Lydia is drawn to him and Lucas is convinced that he is their long lost brother, Baby B. As Lydia begins to realize that Cole knows way too many things about them, things begin to get very tens ...more
Dawn Hogue
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some fine writing from an emerging star. Excellent sense of place. Taut and compelling at the end.
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
Lucas and Lydia are very hard to like. They make a lot of strange decisions and almost seem backward. By the end, the book has turned into a mystery. The book was trying hard but didn't know which lane to stay in. When your favorite character is the villain it's hard to love the book.
This moved slowly and was frustrating at times.

*Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this book.
Kathleen Maloney
Jan 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
It’s a totally ridiculous book. A stranger comes to town. And dominates this woman. Two days after meeting. He moves into her house uninvited. Now he’s going to own the house by taking a mortgage out on the house. So unrealistic this book is in such a waste of time.
Cora
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This had such a slow, steady ramping up of tension that I was ready to scream by the last quarter of the book (in a good way). Masterful.
Lee Woodruff
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twins Lydia and Lucas have lived their entire lives on a small island off Cape Cod. Their lives have been over-shadowed by the knowledge that their triplet brother died shortly after birth. Part emotional journey, part ghost story, this debut novel has garnered critical acclaim from the likes of George Saunders. Lydia dreams of resuming her college education, that ended when her mother died, but she worries that her extremely shy brother, Cole, would flounder. When a charming stranger arrives on ...more
Margaret J
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Goodnight Stranger is a story of choices, responsibilities, and regrets. This is her debut novel, and it kept me turning the pages. Lydia is one of a set of triplets, living with her only living sibling, Lucas, when a stranger comes into their lives. Lydia is drawn to him and Lucas thinks he may be his dead brother. How does this stranger know so much about them? It is suspenseful and moving. A very good read.
Carla
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Choppy & slow ...more
Kristi Lamont
This book is like somebody tried to bake a cake using ingredients from the movies Pacific Heights and Cape Fear and the TV show This Is Us but forgot to include a coagulant.
Dawn
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
*I received the book for free through Goodreads First Read*

I did like this book and think it's more of a 3.5 than a 3, but it was a very weird book to read, almost creepy. There are two themes happening in this story...

The first is a stranger comes to the island and immediately integrates himself into Lydia and Lucas's life. This integration is almost seamless, Lydia is a little wary ( I was frustrated at times when she wouldn't fight back against Cole) while Lucas grabs hold. Why anyone would l
Carol Custer
This was sort of a strange book. Was it a mystery? Sort of. Was it concerning supernatural? Not really though it seemed to be trying to. Was it romance? In a weird way I guess. It just seemed like all these themes thrown together to see which one would stick. I didn't hate the book - but didn't love it either. I think it's one of those books where you had to be in the right mood to fully enjoy it - - and I guess I wasn't.
Brooke Nuzie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This psychological thriller definitely messes with the mind. Though the beginning is a bit rushed and jumps directly into the plot, once it’s going it’s tough to put down. You just need to find out who Cole is! The author does a good job of talking about loss and grief, and combining that with creepy twists and turns. *Thank you Park Row Books for this ARC*
Janeadams Adams
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A suitably creepy psychological thriller about a young woman's attachment to the island she calls home and dedication to providing her brother with the family that fractured when their infant brother died. Their childhood was colored by the tragedy of Baby C, as their triplet was known thereafter, and although both Lydia and Lucas Moore know that he died , few weeks after he was born and is buried in the island cemetery, the strangely familiar man who steps off the ferry and immediateky compels ...more
Michael Ritchie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A co-dependent brother and sister have lived together on a tourist island (think Martha's Vineyard) for years. He has severe social anxiety and she feels she needs to stay to take care of him. Twins, both are haunted by the family memory of a third child born with them that died within weeks of his birth. One day, a man walks off the ferry and Lydia and Lucas both come to believe that he, Cole, is the reincarnation of their dead brother, and the three wind up in an odd triangle of affection and ...more
Nancyann
Mar 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Do not be deceived by the compelling blub on the jacket, Goodnight Stranger is not a suspense novel nor thriller. At just over 300 pages it was still a slog of a book to get through. A stranger shows up on Wolf Island. Could Cole be the reincarnation of the drowned matching triplet to Lydia and Lucas? Lycia and Lucas, now in their late 20s, have never been able to adjust to the death of Baby B. Both suffer from psychological drama, are unable to leave the island living fairly pathetic lives. Alo ...more
Christine
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Mary
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A suspensful and haunting read, Goodnight Stranger is a slow-paced (in a good way) and mysterious ghost story of a baby who died, but has seemingly returned as a grown man. Miciah Bay Gault has written a fantastic vacation read and a perfect story to escape into.
Janet
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A compulsive debut of literary suspense, Goodnight Stranger follows one young woman held captive by her past and the stranger whose arrival unearths long-buried family secrets.

Lydia and Lucas Moore are in their late twenties when a stranger enters thei
Leslie Lindsay
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Deeply compelling and highly disturbing at times, GOODNIGHT STRANGER is a suspenseful literary thriller with themes of grief, love, and human behavior.

This is one of those books that is as eerie as moving, for me, and also has a bit of magical realism/suspended belief that may excite and intrigue. As a debut, GOODNIGHT STRANGER (Park Row Books, July 30) is darn good.

Lydia and her brother, Lucas live in their family's ramshackle home on fictional Wolf Island (just off Cape Cod) and while they a
Hollowspine
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gault's twisted psychological thriller had me on the edge of my seat as I tried to unwrap the mystery in the center of the novel, who is the mysterious stranger, just what happened to Baby B, and finally, what will become of the Moores? Lydia and Lucas Moore are already traumatized by the death of their brother as an infant, an event that shaped their family and led to their isolated existence on their tiny insular island. Now their world is brought crashing in around them by the introduction of ...more
Keeley
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, though I found some elements of the narrative unnecessary. 3.5 stars.

Goodnight Stranger is the story of Lydia, who feels trapped on her island home by her duty to her melancholic brother Lucas, and haunted by the memory of their triplet brother who died as a baby. When a stranger comes to town, he and Lydia are immediately drawn to each other, and it's like he's a missing part of their family. However, we soon start to get major Talented Mr. Ripley vibes, and Lydia vo
Kim McGee
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Atmospheric and moody this is a story of siblings, loss, separation and living on an island where ghosts are abundant on the land, sea and in your dreams. Lucas and Lydia are twins that lost their third triplet brother when they were all very young. Now both are in their late twenties and have never recovered from the loss of their sibling and parents. They are all each other have and they now live out their days in this remote area where everyone in the small community is familiar. One day a st ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »