Start by marking “The City of Dreams (Vale of Stars 0.5)” as Want to Read:
The City of Dreams (Vale of Stars 0.5)

The City of Dreams

(The Vale of Stars 0.5)

City of Dreams? More like a nightmare.

When Ariella, reluctant heir and failed witch, is banished to the bustling city of Pyscoria, she dreads being pulled into the power games of the Blood. She knows it's only a matter of time until someone discovers the secret of her missing magic. Even worse, she'll have to mingle.

When help comes from an unexpected quarter, Ariella dis
Published December 2017 by Hailey Griffiths

To ask other readers questions about The City of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The City of Dreams

Start your review of The City of Dreams (Vale of Stars 0.5)
Kaye
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DID SOMEONE SAY MAGIC???
Wonderfully written, easy to follow, smooth flowing and captivating read with twists and turns and surprises that keep you on your toes. Great characters and scenes so realistic you can almost see it. Fantastic storyline, I pulled right in and couldn't put it down until the end. Haley did an incredible job bringing this read to life.
Noninuna
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy lover
Shelves: english-fiction
The world building was great, not too much & there's still elements of mystery to the story that the author can explore. I love the writing, it felt like the story became alive. Recommended!
Elizabeth
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Laurel
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Ariella, the Grace in waiting, has been sent to Pyscoria, a city set across several islands outside the Everwood, for further training. Happenstance finds her housed with Yora and Prell, who seem to understand her better than she does. Although the city is beautiful, there is an undercurrent of hatred Ariella must navigate.

This prequel has definitely whetted my appetite for reading more of the stories set in this world.
Angel Haze
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fantasy
This was a fantastic short read! Fans of Sarah J. Maas and Leigh Bardugo will enjoy this enchanting tale--a glimpse into a world of magic, politics, and expectations. Griffiths is amazingly talented and I cannot wait until the debut of The Forest of Fate so I can jump back into this world. Griffiths is a name I can see quickly catching on so take note, the adventure is about to begin!
Robin Goodfellow
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

The City of Dreams, by Hailey Griffiths, is a young adult fantasy about finding where you belong, and that family is family, no matter what society says.

Because of her disobedience, Ariella was banished to the City of Dreams, where she will live out her banishment with a woman named Yora, and her son, Prell. Ariella soon finds herself in her newfound home, and with her blossoming love with Prell, she becomes content.
Emma
This is a beautifully written YA fantasy.

There is romance (a bit quick off the mark, but hey, it's a short story). There's also a strong theme of political ambitions and tensions between ancient bloodlines - notably Ariella's hereditary position of being a "Grace" - someone with magical abilities indicated by her distinctive red hair. In fact there's quite a lot going on under the surface of such a short read.

The fantasy world described is fresh and fascinating, although
Chad Barrus
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book very much. I felt for Ariella in the way her mother had abused her both mentally and physically. Luckily for her the mayor was gone when she arrived and a kind woman and her son took her in. This woman showed her love she never got from her mother and became a “mom” she could ask questions to. Because of Yora’s kindness and helpfulness in showing Ariella how to tend plants she discovered the magic inside of her which came to her aid in the closing moments of the book.
Rochelle
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely enchanting read. From the get go you are drawn into the world of Ariella. The author weaves the characters and environment in such a way that you walk, see and feel with them. There is an intriguing juxtaposition between the two main characters. Both young, but one has been forged by a tough upbringing, while the other is filled with youthful enthusiasm and childlike joy.

Crumbs of information are thrown the readers way in the opening chapters that make you willi
Cinnia Is Still Not Over Thornfruit

Dammit, I think I might have just fallen for yet another author this year because this short story (novel preview? ficlet?) was so entertaining. Yeah, there were a few typos and nitpick stuff (I am so rarely >90% satisfied with a book). On the other hand, it was adorable and heartwarming and made me smile so it did the trick as a good pick-me-up read. Now I’m gonna have to see if there’s more books set in the same universe.
Edit: This is the only book set in this uni
Maria
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story grabbed my attention from the first page, and after I read straight through to the last it left me wanting more. It is a short story, very well written, the central characters are well drawn and likeable, in an unusual but well scripted world where magic exists.. for some. It might be considered YA, for the age of Arielle and Prell, who's story it tells, but it's been a long time since I could be considered that, and I enjoyed it a great deal.
Bobbi
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magic, Magic everywhere, or not. This book is about a young girl who was raised by an unloving mother to be royalty. Banished to a lower island, Ariella thinks she is headed for a terrible adventure. However, she finds love and acceptance instead. This is truly a good coming of age story of good vs evil. Highly recommend this book as an entertaining reading experience. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
MLL
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shows promise.

The heroine in this novella is a bit immature. She is also really wishy washy. She is bold, then timid, then bold, then timid. In the end her decisions are taken out of her uncertain hands. Because it was so short the romance was severely rushed but since it is really a prequel for the series there is time for more development later.
I found the scenario and the characters sufficiently interesting to continue reading the series.
Marie-eve Mailhot
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really nice story, a bit of a coming of age type. Althought its a bit weird to read about a world we dont really know about as i am used to read novellas after the main "story" about that specific universe.. but i can tell i will like the Vale of Stars world.
Crystine Fujimoto
The City of Dreams: A Vale of Stars Novella.

I enjoyed this book immensely. It quickly drew the reader in and made them feel for Ariella. This was a short story but it packed an emotional wallop.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasies and great writing.
Shamela
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
City of Dreams.

I was put off by the name Pyscoria. At first kept thinking it said Pyscoria as in psychology and then realised you pronounce it piscoria? Couldn't read on after that but might read later on and change rating.
Ren
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story and it was magical.
Brittany Goodman
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good

My only complaint is that it was too short. This novella was like an episode and left me wanting more. Definitely cute but now I want to know more and how things turn out.
Pam McCallister
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute little novella
Frieda
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shows you that some things need the right environment to grow. So well bound I can't wait to read more!
Mya
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

It does say it's a half story and it certainly felt like it had just started to get going and it was already over! Keen to see if I can find the next part.
Trevenna
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
B

I have to admit I wasnt real into the book at first but as I got into it, I liked it. Am looking forWard to the next novella.

Sara Cox
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really nice short read. I really enjoyed it and cannot wait to get my hands on the rest of the series. I liked the character development of the female lead. It had some incredible twists and turns. And who doesn't like forbidden love? I really couldn't put this down and devoured it in one sitting. I won't say too much so you can enjoy it for yourself
Michaela
Jun 09, 2019
Jolie
Nov 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• If the Dark Wins (Finley Creek #4)
  • Dangerously Taken (Aegis Group Lepta Team #1)
  • Cyclone (Linear Tactical, #1)
  • The Healer (The Healer, #1)
  • Sacrificed to the Dragon (Stonefire Dragons, #1)
  • My Father's Best Friend (My Father's Best Friend, #1)
  • Street Spells: Seven Urban Fantasy Shorts
  • Dasher
  • Lusus Naturae: A Lord Carlston Story (Lady Helen, #1.5)
  • Secrets, Spells & Murder (Little Shop of Spells, #1)
  • Agent Zero (Agent Zero Spy Thriller #1)
  • The Memory Thief (City of Wishes #1)
  • Destiny's a Witch (Wicked Good Mystery #1)
  • Tails from Under Where
  • Ride: Awakening (Puca Mates #1)
  • Fate Abandoned (Fate Abandoned #1)
  • Dreamthief (Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D., #1)
  • Forbidden Planet (Worlds Apart, #1)
Hailey writes stories about love and magic (which are sometimes the same thing) from a comfy chair in Berlin. The cat keeps watch to make sure she’s doing it right.

If she’s not writing, you can probably find her reading under a pile of snacks, or, on the rare occasions she’s forced outdoors, trying to find the best burger in Berlin.

The Vale of Stars (1 books)
  • Starheart (Vale of Stars #1)