Start by marking “A Sky Painted Gold” as Want to Read:
A Sky Painted Gold

A Sky Painted Gold

Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, seventeen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams.

B
Published July 5th 2018 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about A Sky Painted Gold, please sign up.
Jasmine I was pleasantly surprised when I read
this, I found it extremely addictive
and I recommend that you read this book…more
I was pleasantly surprised when I read
this, I found it extremely addictive
and I recommend that you read this book(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Jenny Robert wasn't married. He was engaged. …moreRobert wasn't married. He was engaged. (less)

Start your review of A Sky Painted Gold
Lucy Powrie
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Sky Painted Gold was a joy from start to finish and exactly what I needed after seven agonising weeks in the worst reading slump I’ve ever been in.

The book follows Lou, a Cornish girl who has never known anything other than the small community she’s grown up in. When the summer of 1929 rolls in, Lou gets caught up in the lives of the Cardew siblings, who aren’t strangers to the glitz and glamour of parties not unlike those seen in The Great Gatsby. It’s about coming of age, discovering who yo
Jane
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was in a bookshop, looking for a very particular book, when I found a lovely distraction.

A beautiful cover caught my eye first, and when I picked the book up I learned that it held a period romance, a big house, a coming of age and echoes of certain books that I loved. And that it was set in Cornwall in the twenties; so of course I wasn’t going to put it down again, I was going to bring the book home.

Louise – Lou – lived in small Cornish village with her parents, her elder sister Alice, who wa
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
DNFing this for now! It isn't a bad book, but I picked it up for ARC August and I'm just not really in the mood for anything historical right now. Will return to this someday! ...more
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Let me wax lyrical over this book, which I loved SO MUCH that I shall dub it "The Best Summery Summer Book of 2018". Honestly, it was just . . . perfect. It made incandescently happy and kinda smiley, which was odd because I'm normally a massive moody cloud.

rtc!

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review
Katie Lumsden
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. It's a good fun read and conjures the historical time period quite well. I didn't completely adore the ending - it all felt a bit too neat to me - but I expect that's because it's aimed at a younger audience. ...more
Bee
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ukya, review-books
I really enjoyed the fact that the romance was surprisingly uncomplicated in the end! What a relief!

A Sky Painted Gold is a beautiful YA debut with the glitz and glamour of the 1920s invading a small Cornish town. Filled with secrets and hidden desire, this book will sweep you up into Lou's world!
Selena Reiss
Kathy - Books & Munches
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, read-in-2018
I can't not say this. As soon as I hear historical fiction, I think "boring stuff from years and years ago with stuffy characters and.. too much historical facts mentioned". I can't help it! School gave me this aversion when it comes to history and it has obviously sneaked into my reading preferences as well.
In saying that, though, I have to admit all those things did not bother me one bit. I even dare say there isn't even mention of one big historical event in A Sky Painted Gold. For some peopl
Annette
Don’t let the Cinderella-thing going on at first turn you off. This is not a mere rags-to-riches story where the super rich hero has swept the poor heroine off her feet to shower her with jewels.

The heroine is quite naive but thankfully not stupid.
 photo 197631A4-1953-4B6E-9A04-B128467316D9_zpsnxhhzipx.gif
She is just pleased about everything.
She also likes Agatha Christie’s cozy murders so I instantly felt a kinship to her.

I love how the heroine has truly grown in the story. A book I highly recommend to a teen who is feeling a little lost. I als
✨ Evie ✨
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This little gem of a book was like a beautiful dream I wish I didn’t have to wake up from.

It was so perfect!❤️😭

This book had me bursting with feelings and wishing myself into its pages the entire way through! It made me happy and giddy, but also pulled at my heartstrings in unexpected ways. I just completely lost myself in the story and it was exhilarating! Turning the last page had me in tears because I simply didn't want it to end.

A full constellation of stars for A Sky Painted Gold!
Liz Fenwick
A delicious coming of age romance set in one golden Cornish summer in the 1920s...
Lauren James
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most perfectly indulgent guilty pleasure read. The Camomile Lawn meets Dodie Smith meets The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets.
Alice Lippart
Enjoyable. Really liked the setting.
Katie Clark
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood was a dream to read 🥰 It had the family dynamics and romance of a Jane Austen novel, the setting and outsider's perspective of the Great Gatsby except Lou is no Nick Carraway, she's a go getter determined to see, feel and live more. This book is luxurious and honest.

Lou is from a big, loving family who live on a farm but she can't resist the allure of the magnificent, empty Cardew house across the causeway. She sneaks off to the unoccupied house to read in the l
Shaani
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was just one of the best books I've read so far this year!

l wouldn't of come across it if it wasn't for Lucy Powrie from booktube.

It was funny, sad, heart melting goodness, all tied up into one fantastically written book. If you're also a fan of The Great Gatsby, then it's a must read!

l couldn't recommend this book enough
Hannah
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stayed up till 3:37am in the morning just to finish this book and it felt like a dream that I don’t want to wake up from...

It’s such a delight and I didn’t want this book to end... Now I just want to relive this dream by reading from page 1 again.
Bella
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted Cheezyfeet Books.

A Sky Painted Gold was just what I needed when I read it. It’s set in a gorgeous countryside setting in Cornwall, and it’s the perfect dreamy summer read. I haven’t read such a lovely book in a long time!

Lou lives in the seaside town on Penlyn with her many siblings and her parents. Her sister Alice is living the seemingly ‘perfect’ life; she’s settled down and married her childhood sweetheart. As the second oldest, Lou knows this is what is expected of her nex
Elizabeth Raines
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
“If you live in a sleepy little village, I have found that you have to adept at creating your own drama.”- A Sky Painted Gold, Chapter Two, Page 30.
Louise, ‘Lou', has always been fascinated by an old Georgian mansion that was set on an island, right outside of her small Cornish village. So fascinated, that she has even snuck there when the tide was low. The house belongs to the Cardew family, they haven’t visited the estate in many years after the father of the family had passed away.
The Cardew
yolia
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5

this was my first book of 2021 and it surely did not disappoint at all. everything about this book is almost pretty much flawless and would recommend to anyone looking for a historical fiction book.

the only thing that was lacking to me was the lack of chemistry between the main couple (lou and robert). i wished we had more 'screentime' for them, that was the only major part that was lacking for me.

other than that, i already miss the lovely journeys with lou <3 this is truly a wonder of a book
Abi
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The love interest gives the main character the newest Agatha Christie novel (mind you that this is set in the 20s) and the main character was dying to read it! I don’t think you need any other incentive to pick this up!
Emma
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Sky Painted Gold focuses on 17-year old Lou during one summer as she struggles to figure out what her next steps in life are. Lou's older sister, Alice, has just gotten married and this has made Lou feel like her life needs to get started -- but she's not sure what exactly she wants her life to look like. She ends up getting swept into the lives of the rich and mysterious Cardews, who own a manor house on a small island near Lou's hometown.

The Golden Age time period of A Sky Painted Gold was
Megan  (thebookishtwins)
Disclaimer: I received this free from the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

Lou has always dreamed of being a writer. Growing up in a sleepy Cornish village, she has always wondered about the Cardew House which has been empty for years. She sneaks in sometimes to eat apples from their tree and to read books from their library. When the Cardews arrive back one summer, Lou is swept off her feet and into their world of champagne, elegant dresses, and glamorous parties beyond her wildest d
Katie
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
4.5/5

Okay I really REALLY enjoyed this but I had to take half a star off for the "for fans of Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue" thing I keep seeing because other than both being historical fictions in YA...I don't see it.

The characters were so good. Each scene had a purpose to develop them. The setting was fun as well but Lou really just stole my heart and attention for the whole book. I also gotta props the author for giving me a romance that I rooted for. I didn't roll my eyes for tons of
M F
I liked this more than I might have done, given that it's quite romance-heavy. It's got strong Gatsby influences, but it's set in Cornwall, and has a happy ending. (Plus, you know, it's YA and has a female narrator.) I picked it up solely for the cover, which was shallow of me, but curiosity about beautiful things is kind of Lou's entire plotline, so that feels appropriate. Though I liked that, despite her interest in attractive people, the romance in this book is pretty slow burn and has more t ...more
Sandra
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely summer read. The setting was good, the characters were fun and I love the time period. Not to mention that absolutely stunning cover. I suspected this might be the perfect relaxing read and I was right.

However, there was one thing that bothered me. It all went so too fast. Lou because everyones dearest friend within two months or so. You have to suspend your disbelief on that one.

Other then that though, I highly recommend it.
Anne Altman
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I really loved this book! I was completely immersed in this reading experience. It was wholly atmospheric, which is not usually a plus for me in a book but in this particular book, it was so well done and so beautiful, I felt like I was living in the 1920’s and attending Gatsby type parties. I loved the evolution of the characters. I really loved it all. I wish this book had more recognition because it deserves it.
Rachel
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect blend of The Great Gatsby, Pride & Prejudice, and Downton Abbey. It’s got lots of snappy dialogue, gorgeous descriptions of parties you’d love to attend, and a delightful, swoony love story. The main character, Lou, is spunky and fun, I liked her a lot.

4.5 stars rounded down because it leans a little too heavily on its influences, and the setup is almost too easy, but really, who cares? If you’re into this kind of thing it’s totally worth reading.
Grace
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very dreamy book. The setting was beautiful, and the 1920s parties were described so well. It is set in Cornwall on the coast in 1929. It tells the tale of a farmer’s daughter, Lou, who becomes friends with members of the high society.

I enjoyed reading this book. However, it was at times very predictable and very slow. But, if you are looking for an easy read to fall into, I would definitely recommend it.
Ely
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
It feels like it's been so long since I read a good historical YA. This one was just plain adorable and made me so, so happy. Lou is definitely naive, and Caitlin at times felt a little bit too much like a distant party girl but I loved Robert. Plus, it's set in Cornwall in the 20s and frequently mentions Agatha Christie. ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Same ISBN different number of pages 3 17 Apr 30, 2019 08:21AM

• Navždycky
  • マッシュル-MASHLE- 1 (Mashle: Magic and Muscles, #1)
  • La Sourcière
  • D'or et d'oreillers
  • Animants Welt: Ein Buch über Staubchronik
  • La tinta que nos une
  • Bienvenue à Saint-Fouettard (Magic Charly, #2)
  • Noci běsů
  • Kosti Mraza
  • Nevěřte Hunterovi
  • Le Renard et le Petit Tanuki, tome 1
  • Plein Gris
  • Animant Crumbs Staubchronik
  • Wanted Lucky Luke
  • L'île presque (Le Grimoire d'Elfie, #1)
Laura Wood is the winner of the Montegrappa Scholastic Prize for New Children's Writing and the author of the 'Poppy Pym' and 'Vote for Effie' middle-grade series and YA novels, A Sky Painted Gold and Under a Dancing Star.

She loves Georgette Heyer novels, Fred Astaire films, travelling to far flung places, recipe books, Jilly Cooper, poetry, cosy woollen jumpers, Edith Nesbit, crisp autumn leaves,

Articles featuring this book

When looking for the best recommendations in the young adult genre, we decided to turn to YA authors themselves. Narrowing...
“(If you live in a sleepy little village, I have found that you have to be adept at creating your own drama, and I had a good run on the unrequited love scenario,” 2 likes