Start by marking “Liars' Paradox (A Jack and Jill Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Liars' Paradox (A Jack and Jill Mystery #1)

Liars' Paradox

(A Jack and Jill Thriller #1)

A master of international intrigue, New York Times bestselling author Taylor Stevens introduces a pair of wild cards into the global spy game—a brother and sister who were raised to deceive—and trained to kill . . .

They live in the shadows, Jack and Jill, feuding twins who can never stop running. From earliest memory they’ve been taught to hide, to hunt, to survive.
Published December 18th 2018 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Liars' Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liars' Paradox

Start your review of Liars' Paradox (A Jack and Jill Mystery #1)
Diane S ☔
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lor-2019
3.5 Huge fan of this authors past protagonist, the kick ass Vanessa Michael Monroe. Here she gives us a new series featuring two fearless females and a male thrown in for good measure. Claire, the nother, in her fifties is a force to be reckoned with, her past life hidden in the shadows. Jack and Jill, twins, trained harshly in survival since the age of five. This is a dysfunctional family for the ages, with possibly just a little psychopathic anger in the mix.

Adrenaline fueled, cat and mouse
Maureen Carden
Kidnapping, car trunks, tracking devices, fist fights (to put it mildly) knock-out hypos; those are a few of the ways twins Jack and Jill treat each other in the outstanding Liar’s Paradox. Not the typical demonstrations of sibling affection.
Supposedly the closest bond on earth, twins Jack and Jill spent nine months in the closest physical proximity. They spent the next 17 years in the closest emotional proximity; depending on one another, loving one another and finally hating one another. Now
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q: narcissistic, delusional, Munchausen (c) stuff happens in this one.

In all seriousness, this plot could have been solved easily: by ignoring Clare. Which is what they totally should have done. And which is why I kept wanting to lend a couple of braincells to each of the protagonists throughout the book. Really: if she's so good, let her do her tricks; if she is crazy, then she's ok other than just being crazy; and if she's not quite as good, well, maybe she should've trained harder and wasted
Jenny
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jack and Jill, such cute names for twins. We can picture the sweet darlings romping in the sunlight always with wide smiles on their faces.
Boy is that not the case in Liars' Paradox. These twins have been trained by their commando mother to endure pain, deprivation, fear, isolation, and loneliness. They have become rock hard survivalists, but with a bit of sibling rivalry tossed in.
All the skills and techniques drilled into them by their mother, Claire, now must be utilized as there is a bounty
Jenny
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lou
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liars' Paradox, award-winning and New York Times bestselling author Taylor Stevens's seventh novel, is destined to be just as successful as her previous books. The premise is sound and highly original, and the explosive action starts right away, no messing about and continues to move the plot forward at a fast-pace. This is a tale of assassins, espionage, Jack and Jills love for their mother and some shady involvement from the CIA and KGB. Danger lurks around every corner and the characters ...more
Allison Brennan
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Filled with explosive action, suspense, and powerful human drama, Liars’ Paradox by Taylor Stevens is the first book in the new Jack and Jill Thriller series.

Eighteen months ago, Taylor Stevens told me about her new series, and I told her to send me an ARC when it was ready. Her editor sent it to me last summer, but with five kids and writing three books a year, I didn’t get a chance to read it until October.

I was hooked from page one:

Quiet gentrified neighborhood and a cloud-covered sky at two
Dee Arr
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: action, pulp-fiction
“Liars’ Paradox” is modern day pulp fiction, brain candy for those who crave non-stop action rather than a halfway decent stab a something approaching literature or a good story. The basic background – twins trained from early childhood in skills that would make James Bond envious – is necessary to the plot but so over-the-top that the constant examples only serve to work against believability.

Author Taylor Stevens begins with page after page, chapter after chapter of an adult sibling rivalry,
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
This is my first Taylor Stevens book and I can tell her writing is addictive. This book is non-stop from beginning to end. We get full on action with each chapter while learning about the characters. I don't mind multiple POVs and we get several here. However, the most we see is of Jack and Jill, our stars. Twins who were basically trained from birth with spy-like abilities for survival, they always considered their mother more of a mentor than anything else. They disregarded her paranoia but ...more
Quirkybookworm
First of all, there's something that had me stumped. It's the cover. The razor with blood and rust. I'm trying to comprehend how it ties in with the story here. The only thing that mentioned was a quote with the wording razor's edge. I thought maybe I had missed something so I reread it. Same confusement. I do like the cover. Creative.

Moving on....

Wow! Talk about a major disfunctional family especially between the twin brother and sister. Apparently the special bond doesn't even exist between
Jacqui
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Taylor Stevens newest book, Liars' Paradox (Kensington 2018), the first in her new series, twins Jack and Jill have been raised by a paranoid mother who taught them how to protect themselves from danger in a world populated with spies, terrorists, evil, lies, and subterfuge, where no one is to be trusted and every event is to be approached with cynicism. By the time the twins were teenagers, they could survive anywhere and protect themselves from any attack. When they finally become adults, ...more
C.A. Newsome
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am constitutionally disposed to reject any book with a blood-encrusted razor blade featured on the cover, no matter how stylishly rendered. I never would have read Liars' Paradox if I hadn't enjoyed Stevens' prior books. Happily, the razor blade has nothing to do with the story. I hope it doesn't mislead potential readers, because Liars' Paradox is a seriously fun book, an ever-escalating, multi-player cat and mouse game complicated by family dynamics in overdrive.

Despite an emphasis on
Cathy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liars' Paradox by Taylor Stevens is a fast paced book that once involved I did not want to put this down! **spoiler alert**This is about a brother and sister (Jack and Jill, just one set of names they go by, twins) who have been raised from a very early age to be assassins by their mother (also an assassin ), their mother has sent for them and they heed the call but by the time they get to their mothers place it is to late and she has been taken....follow them on their hunt to find their mother ...more
Shannon Dyer
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This was all right, but not nearly as compelling as her previous series.
Erin
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HOLY FREAKIN CRAP! I loved this book so much. Jack and Jill are fascinating characters I want to know everything about them. There was enough action to draw people in who want a fast paced story, but the family dynamic/drama took it and made it a better more layered, nuanced story. The flashbacks to different times in Jack and Jill’s childhood were great way to help the reader better understand them. I CANT NOT WAIT for the next book in this series!
LadyTechie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was really waiting for this one and it did not disappoint. I received an early release copy via NetGalley and the publisher. "Jack" and "Jill" are twins raised by a mother who by all appearances is a gun-toting, conspiracy nut who has basically raised them to be the same. Who they really are is what makes this story so great! It is an awesome start to a new series with some seriously kick-butt characters.
Sonya Berger
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fabulous book. Jill and Jack's adventures kept my interest from page one. Jill turned out to be such a strong woman and one you would not want to cross. Jack was such a sensitive character. I can see a relationship happening between Jill and Christopher. So many sub plots going on . Can't wait until the next one.
Patty Smith
Many thanks to NetGalley, Kensington Books, and Taylor Stevens for an excerpt of this book. My opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving this excerpt.

Meet Jack. He busts into a room, grabs a woman off of her lover, throws her on his shoulders and into the trunk of his car. He has been trailing her. Is he a stalker? Jealous ex? Nope. When he releases her from the trunk, they go at it like Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Except these aren’t love interests. This is brother and sister. It is obvious
Judy Lesley
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I get a real kick out of reading this type of book, the assassin-for-hire adventure thriller. I had not been aware of the Jack and Jill Mystery series so was very interested in trying out this first book. And, boy, am I glad I've read Liars' Paradox. This is action packed from first page to last with very good character development and superb plotting. Anyone who reads this type of novel knows that the exploits of the characters is going to be over-the-top but that doesn't mean the authors can ...more
Jim
Twisty mystery with some messed up characters. Everyone is an assassin, except one poor schmuck. A lot of action & very mysterious past. Wraps up fairly well, but there's still a major mystery to solve that will take another book. I don't think I'll read it.

I didn't like any of the characters much. Way too much testosterone even in the women, especially in them, & they're twisted folks living only to survive. It was pretty good until the end where it started jumping the shark too much. I
Tom Mc Kenna
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
The one point that nagged me the most throughout the story was Jill's over the top jealousy against Jack which would erupt at ridiculous inopertunistically times when she should have been more focused on staying alive instead of beating up her brother. She behaves more like a five year old with a mommy loves you more than me attitude. I hope Clare's reveal to Jill concerning why she treated Jill the way she did when she was younger will cease Jill's constantly physically pummeling Jack in the ...more
Celia Buell
Free in exchange for an honest review, via Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you to Kensington for listing.

This is the first thriller I've ever read, and honestly, I'm going to hope that others have more action. While Liars' Paradox was intriguing at some points, it felt very flat at others.

The story starts in Jack's point of view, and I initially saw him as a strong character. I liked Jill in her point of view a lot less, and I can't really say she grew on me as the story went on.

What surprised me was
Woody
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Taylor Stevens is one of the best writers alive today. Her stories have incredibly well developed and unique characters like none you will experience in her chosen genre. The suspense is gripping and the plots thick as molasses with lots of twists. She reminds me of Lee Child except her characters have more dimension and less predictability. She is going to blow away the best seller's list I have no doubt. Her fans have been waiting for this for years. So strap on your seat belt. (I am not in ...more
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
Liars’ Paradox by author Taylor Stevens is a gripping suspense/thriller book. Fans of fast paced and thick plots will love this! It will finish with a bang of great things!
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of Liars’ Paradox in exchange for an honest review.
Surbhi Das
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-2018
Wow! This was one hell of an action-packed book!

Jack and Jill are twins, trained to be spies, since age five by none other than their mother, Clare. Throughout, the twins lives, their mother's crazy paranoia has driven them into gruesome training and survival instincts but all they really want now is a normal life. However, things are set in motion when, one of Clare's safe house is blown into pieces making them realize that may be their mother was right all along.

Like, I said this book is
Jessica
Thanks to Kensington Books and TLC Book Tours for the free copy in exchange for my honest review

This was my introduction to Taylor Stevens, as well as the start of a new series! LIARS’ PARADOX follows twins, Jack and Jill. Don’t let the names fool you, they are far from sweet and innocent children. Both have been trained by their mother, Clare, to be the optimal survivalists. Taught at young ages the art of espionage, hunting, surveillance, and even subjected them to cruel psychological tests
Blagica
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liars' Paradox (A Jack and Jill Mystery #1) by Taylor Stevens is a good thriller read. I want to thank Netgalley and the author for my arc. I am sorry that my delay I loved the book I just had a hard time the last two months sitting down doing my reviews. Jack and Jill some cute names for twins. Although the relationship between them is anything but cute. We can picture the sweet darlings romping in the sunlight always with wide smiles on their faces.
Boy is that not the case in Liars' Paradox.
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
It has been years since I have read a book from this author. I will admit that my first impression was not the greatest. Thus, I really did not have much interest in wanting to jump into reading another book. In fact, when I read the premise for this book it is what drew me to want to check it out. I forgot I had read a book from this author before.

I like the vibes of this book. Jack and Jill can kill. They are very skilled shooters. Although, they had a good mentor in Clare. The story started
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
I don't read a ton of thrillers or even mystery novels, but it's the jewels like these that keep me occasionally returning to the genre. It's maybe the furthest thing you can get from literary fiction, but it's entertaining and the characters are likable enough; there's family drama and decades of history catching up with the present, lots of rapidly changing alliances, and above all there's lots of action.

So it's not really my usual fare, but it's a great change of pace. (Shoutout to OverDrive
Marsha
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished and really enjoyed the book. Here's why

It's an unusual pair of hero characters. Twins that have a difficult past that really taints their adult lives. A very untraditional mother, to say the least, who loves her kids.

The story moves along and you want to know more. Stevens ably mixed details that makes the story vivid and yet not too much. I can see the foreshadowing of many more stories of Jack and Jill.

It's a great read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 223 Jan 30, 2019 04:32PM

• Tear It Down (Peter Ash, #4)
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)
  • City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)
  • Ice Cold Heart (Monkeewrench, #10)
  • The Burglar
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • The Intern (Orphan X, #3.5)
  • Dark Site (Sam Dryden, #3)
  • The Paris Diversion (Kate Moore, #2)
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • The Ninja Daughter (Lily Wong)
  • The Night Agent
  • Rules of War (Logan West #4)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • There's A Murder Afoot (Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #5)
  • All the Devils (Livia Lone #4)
TAYLOR STEVENS is a critically acclaimed, multiple award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers. Her books, known for high-octane plots populated with fascinating characters in vivid boots-on-the-ground settings, have been published in over twenty languages. THE INFORMATIONIST, first in the Vanessa Michael Munroe series has also been optioned for film by James ...more

A Jack and Jill Thriller (2 books)
  • Liars' Legacy