Start by marking “South Pole: An Account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the 'Fram', 1910-12” as Want to Read:

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  381 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
At last we got away, on October 19. The weather for the past few days had not been altogether reliable; now windy, now calm - now snowing, now clear: regular spring weather, in other words... With this matter of fact sentence begins one of the most famous journeys in all exploration - Amundsen's conquest of the South Pole. The details of the tragic race with Scott are well ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Interlink Publishing Group (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about South Pole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South Pole

Louisa
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Roald Amundsen's account of the expedition to the geographic South Pole is a fascinating read. Although Amundsen attributed the success of the expedition to "good luck", it seems obvious that the Norwegians were simply better prepared than Captain Scott and his crew. The equipment, the sledges with well-trained dogs, the supply depots with seal meat at regular intervals along the route, the sunglasses to avoid snow blindness; it was all thought of in advance. It is then perhaps not surprising th ...more
Kravets
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Амундсену несказанно повезло, он сделал свои открытия до того, как права животных и процент женщин в любой компании, предприятии, экспедиции стали главным мерилом общественной пользы и социальной добродетели. Иначе по возвращении в цивилзованый мир его бы ждал отнюдь не триумф )))
На протяжении книги меня преследовал вопрос - можно ли было изменить незавидную участь собак? К концу пришел к заключению, похоже в тех условиях и при том развитии технологий это был единственный возможный выход.
Matt
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This is generally a good read, although at times Amundsen's writing style can be very irritating and sometimes downright dishonest. At the time he wrote this, most official expedition books pretended everything was always jolly-good, no one was ever complained or argued, and everything always went exactly as planned. The British in particular were very bad about this. He takes up this habit and takes it further than even the brits ever would. In a few instances, Amundsen is profoundly dishonest ...more
Sasha
Few books have influenced my own adventuring more than this one. Amundsen's genius for planning and his singular toughness in risk-riddled explorations of the unknown impressed upon me the necessity of clear-headed foresight during an expedition. Perhaps the most fascinating part of the book for me was to read of how he and his crew nourished themselves, cared for their physical needs and dealt with medical emergencies along their journey. I recommend this book as a must-read selection before at ...more
S
An interesting first hand account of the Norwegian expedition's successful attempt to reach the South Pole.

Strangely enough the journey to and capturing of the Pole is probably the least interesting bit of the book. It's basically pages and pages of good snow, bad snow, nearly fell in a hole, killed some dogs, good snow, bad snow, tent, tent, tent, killed some dogs, snow, snow, pole.

The preparation leading up to the initial sea voyage, the voyage itself and then the establishing of a camp at t
S.P.
Along with "South" (Shackelton) and "The Worst Journey in the World" (Cherry-Garrard), this ranks as one of the three best polar exploration/adventure non-fiction works of all time. Of particular interest is the stark (and, ultimately, tragic) difference of approach among the three exploration parties. As for "flare," Amundsen's account ranks somewhere between Shackelton's (a dramatic page-turner with breathless "plot turns") and Cherry-Garrard's (equal parts dry scientific report and heart-brea ...more
Amanda
Jul 28, 2011 added it
I should have read Scott's story first, because I'm in too much of an upbeat mood now! The Norwegians are just so damn cool, and part of it is their attitude about life and obstacles. They know that the going is gonna be tough, so they prepare for what they can and choose not to worry about what they have no control over. This was so effectively inspiring mostly because it wasn't written in order to be so. It's the matter-of-fact tone of someone who wants not only to reach a goal, but to live li ...more
Pedro Pardo
Apasionante relato de la expedición de Amundsen al Polo Sur. La narración está completamente repleta de datos, lo que demuestra la minuciosidad con la que fue preparada toda la expedición hasta sus más pequeños detalles. El libro narra desde los preparativos muchos meses antes hasta las consecuencias una vez regresaron a Noruega. A veces la realidad supera a la ficción y se convierte en leyenda. Muy recomendable.
Millie
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-writing
This was an excellent read. I read it because I thought it was unfair that I always favoured British polar explorers, and I was right! Amundsen was totally better at polar exploring than Scott!

The Norwegians were much better prepared, and much luckier with their weather, and they really did deserve to reach the Pole first.
Soledad P
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historico, aventura
Leer este libro complementa la lectura de los Diarios de Scott, debido a que Amundsen fue el rival que lo derrotó con planificación fría y calculadora y un completo estudio anterior que lo llevó a sobrepasar los obstáculos que hundieron a Scott. Buenísima crónica, aunque si bien es verdad lo que dicen que Scott es mucho mejor escritor que Amundsen, pero eso no quita valor a su expedición.
Alex
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
First hand account of the successful trek to the South Pole. Amundsen spends a great deal of time talking about logistics and placing of depots in preparation for his polar attempt. Also a lot of discussion (somewhat ruthlessly) in culling the sled dogs as they weakened or as food was needed. Overall, a pretty engaging account of his remarkable feat.
Elizabeth
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this while I was reading Dan Simmons' The Terror, and in comparison it seemed like the most luxurious expedition ever. They survive on the ice by eating the finest chocolate? They bring a canary on board? And the canary lives through the whole trip?! Okay, terrible things happen to dogs in this account, but still.
Charlenekane
Was he a genius for reaching the South Pole with almost jolly ease...or a ruthless bastard for killing all those dogs along the way? People who accomplish amazing deeds are never NOT human and that is what makes their stories all the more inspiring -- because for a few seconds they actually transcend the weighty burden of being fallible.
Aug 18, 2013 marked it as will-never-finish
Shelves: kindle, 2014
I should finish this...I know I should. But I got heartily sick of Amundsen patting himself on the back. I realize that in order to accomplish the things he did, he probably had to have a bit of an inflated ego, but it was a bit much...especially when you consider that other explorers died attempting this feat just mere months after he succeeded. It just comes off a bit callus.
Raúl
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantástica historia de la exploración del Polo Sur, contada por su protagonista, con rigor y sobriedad. Al final del libro hay interesantes apéndices desarrollando los distintos apartados científicos de la expedición.
Cario Lam
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you looking for an account with structured prose than I am afraid you will be disappointed. Don't get me wrong this is a fine account that describes the Norwegian expedition to the South Pole. Amundsen leaves out nothing about the hardships both men and dogs and to endure.
Anne
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool reading for a hot summer!
Deborah
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book made the polar journey out to be a walk in the park for the Norwegians . Or could they have simply been the better planners for a trip like this during this time?
Fede Gurevich
Great adventure, not quite a great book. A little too descriptive...
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, non-fiction
Most interesting and enjoyable account of Roald Amundsen's south pole expedition!
Michael Brady
I read a two volume set from the the original hardcover printing. Amundsen's prose is a little plain but one of his strengths was planning carefully so as to avoid drama.
George Farrants
Fascinating to read about the expedition as he experienced it.
Norwegian, with Amundsen's idiosyncratic spelling!
Stuart Montgomery
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike Scott, Amundsen was single-minded in his attempt on the Pole. The expedition relied on skis - and on dogs. Amundsen's drooling account of eating the dogs did little to help his popularity.
Lucas Otten
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
After lots of reading on failed arctic expeditions, started dabling in antarctic expeditions.
Didn't find them as interesting, though they are a bit better remembered by the public.
Ray Melville
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good; a recent translation, giving it a modern feel, not at all old fashioned.
Grigoriy Povarov
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read if you do business with Norwegians.
Shawn
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great first-hand account of the first expedition to the south pole. I love getting into the head of an explorer 100 years ago, rather than just reading an historian's thoughts about it.
Igoicolea
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Really nive adventure. The book too detailed for me, I would cut off some chapters.
Jack Fenway
  • Kabloona
  • Four Against the Arctic: Shipwrecked for Six Years at the Top of the World
  • How I Found Livingstone in Central Africa
  • Ghosts of Cape Sabine: The Harrowing True Story of the Greely Expedition
A polar explorer at the turn of the late 19th century.

Amundsen led the first expedition to successfully traverse the Northwest Passage and he was the first person to reach both the North and South Poles.

More about Roald Amundsen...