Start by marking “Yumi (Flame in the Mist, #1.75)” as Want to Read:
Yumi (Flame in the Mist, #1.75)

Yumi

(Flame in the Mist #1.75)

When Yumi receives word of the battle led against her brother and the Black Clan by Prince Raiden and the Dragon of Kai, and of Ōkami’s sacrifice, she resents the bars of her gilded cage all the more. She’s tired of being a sheltered bird, protected in the Hanami. What Yumi really wants is to strike a blow against all the forces that control her life. The time has come.
Published May 15th 2018 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Yumi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yumi

Alyssa

Summary (from Goodreads):

April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I really like Yumi as a character and it was interesting to see more of her!
Azbaqiyah
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know, reading this book was like facing the calm before a storm rise. You'll get it what I mean after you read it.
Dannii Elle
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 3.75/5 stars.

This is the second of two short story additions to the central The Flame in the Mist duology. It is told from the perspective of Yumi and follows directly on from events in the first book and the first short story.

Like the previous story, this did not provide additional illumination to the events of the central duology, but it was an interesting read, all the same. A deeper understanding to Yumi’s character, and the emotions that guide her, is provided through this sma
Cora Tea Party Princess
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Perfect length for a cuppa.

A single chapter of Yumi, I just wish there was more! This comes directly before book two, and it really helped me understand her motivations at the beginning of book two a lot better.

Also I want to know all of Yumi's rooftop escapades.
Irene Sim
This is just a small scene about Yumi receiving word about what happened in the forest. Yumi is a character that I definitely want to see taking more action in "Smoke In The Sun".
cindy
I've always been intrigued by Yumi's character, and I really enjoyed reading from her perspective. There was some interesting political foreshadowing, so I can't wait to see what role she plays in the final book of the series. Hopefully there'll be plenty of female empowerment 🙃
Manisha
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A snippet of a story where Yumi gets to know the incidents that had occured at the end of the first book, and her determination to take matters into her own hands. Besides this, the overall plot moves a fraction forward and we get to know some back story that I was personally curious about.

I’m looking forward to the role she will play in the concluding book. After all, even a stone rolling down a hill can cause an avalanche.
rachael ♡
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: novellas, fantasy, ya
"Frustration barreled up Yumi's throat as she considered the small children, their attention rapt, listening to the tales of the emperor's greatest achievements. A part of Yumi wished to take action. Wished to splash water on the puppets or drop rotten food onto the men behind the stage, who fed these innocent minds such trash."

Relatable in this current climate, Yumi. Overall 3.5 stars! I enjoyed seeing more of Yumi's life, feelings about being a Meiko and her roof hang-out habit (haha). It w
Monique V
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I love strong female characters!!

The information this short story provided was interesting! I wonder what is going to happen next! I cannot wait for the next flame in the mist instalment!
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Mel Anie (finals - 2months)
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Flame in the Mist
Mini Review:
Rating: 5 stars ✨ coz it was pretty empowering

Yumi, a short story from the perspective of Asano Yumi, sister of Tsuneoki (leader of Black Clan). Yumi is one of maiko women, she also used to be messenger for her brother and his clan. After actions of Flame in the Mist Yumi needs to decide which path she ought to take.

Short, yet powerful story of a woman which decides to be in charge of her life. Truly recommendable for everyone who enjoyed Flame in the Mist.
mith
this woulda been great if i remembered a) who yumi was and b) what happened in the entirety of flame and the mist
Kayla
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The quality of this novella wasn't as good as the previous one for Tha I am disappointed.
Coreen  (AsThePlotThickens)
Okay...
Beatrice in Bookland
"And even if Yumi knew she was a drop in an ocean, she also knew the smallest stone rolling down a mountain could bring about an avalanche."

I mean, only Renee Ahdied can make you cheer for a character in less than 10 pages.
I have to admit, I liked Ōkami's novella more but I can't wait to see Yumi free and fighting for those she cares about.
Phoenix2
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
Kind of short and it didn't offer much.
Kathy - Books & Munches
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
*Squeezing two reviews into one because both these novellas are soooo short.*

It's been a while since I read Flame in the Mist but I do remember loving it. Alas, reading as many books as I do, it took me a while to remember who the characters exactly are and their place in the story. I can easily say these two novellas definitely helped with that so I might just dive into the actual sequel pretty soon!

Okami
In this novella we get some more insight in what's going through Okami's mind after the eve
Krista Baetiong Tungol
Too tired of being in the sidelines, Yumi decides it is high time for her to have a place in the Black Clan's world. This is too short for us to appreciate her bravado, and I thought she was not given a fair share of spotlight in the duology, too, and so I could only hope that should Renée Ahdieh decide to have another Flame in the Mist story arc, she'd choose Yumi as the protagonist.
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, young-adult
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars!

I really liked this small novella on Yumi(Tsuneoki's sister) but I wish it was a bit longer. It was soooo short! Anyway, can't wait to see her in action in Smoke In The Sun!
Nancy The book junkie
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75/5

Review to come!
✦ Maica ✦
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She was tired of being Tsuneoki's messenger. Tired of being nothing more than
a pretty face.
But mostly she was tired of being told what to do.

SO.MUCH.GIRL.POWER I love how Ahdieh can get me so pumped up in 8 pages. Her writing is just soooooooo good! Yumi was a character I never really cared for. But reading her POV really got me excited to see more from her in the next book. She's smart, she's beautiful and she's tired of being left in the dark. I can't wait to see what havoc she's going to
Neelam
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Yumi in the first book and wished we could have seen more of her and this chapter has made me love her even more!
Looking forward to seeing more of her in Smoke in the Sun.
Noah
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was nice to get the point of view of a minor character for a change.
Hannah (theflickeringpages)
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this little bit from Yumi. Loved reading her perspective of roof climbing and basically being a boss.
Littlebookterror
Interesting but unnecessary.
sonich
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
... would you believe me if i say that i don't remember who yumi is? i don't and there's no way i would understand her characteristics and personality in this book if i dont remember who she was in flame in the mist. i am a bad reader lmao. so i guess two stars??? because it helped reminding me the ending of the first book... and that's it?

this is awkward.
Rita
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yassssss! Go girl!💪💪💪
Lucy Qhuay

Way to go, Yumi! I bet you and Mariko could kick some real ass.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Huntsman's Fate: A Sword And Sorcery Bundle
  • Shadowshaper Legacy (Shadowshaper, #3)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • Untitled (The Sixth World, #3)
  • All the Wandering Light (Even the Darkest Stars, #2)
  • The Return of the Scoundrel (The Worth Saga, #4)
  • Carry Me Home (Off the Map, #3.1)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Dissidence (The Corporation Wars, #1)
  • Journey Through Fire (Sisters of the Sword, #3)
  • The Dragon's Curse (Transference, #2)
  • Sweetest Regret
  • Royally Ever After
  • The Jinni
  • Following Gandalf: Epic Battles and Moral Victory in the Lord of the Rings
  • Pretty in Pearls (Fins, #3.1)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Germline (The Subterrene War #1)
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

Flame in the Mist (2 books)
  • Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)
  • Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)