Start by marking “Ōkami (Flame in the Mist, #1.25)” as Want to Read:
Ōkami (Flame in the Mist, #1.25)

Ōkami

(Flame in the Mist #1.25)

At the close of Flame in the Mist, to end a bloodbath between the Black Clan and imperial soldiers, Ōkami allows himself to be taken prisoner by Prince Raiden, Mariko’s betrothed. For someone who doesn’t believe in heroes, it’s a surprising choice: to trade his life for the lives of his friends and the one he loves. For he will surely be killed when he arrives in the Imper ...more
Published April 24th 2018 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ōkami, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ōkami

Start your review of Ōkami (Flame in the Mist, #1.25)
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
It was a fine read for me and I love the cover! 😍😍
Warda
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Renée Ahdieh writes like a dream.

I so need more on Ōkami, habibi!
Alyssa

Summary (from Goodreads):

April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Well, this was completely pointless. I was hoping this would be a backstory of how ōkami got his powers, but it's not :(
Ardent Reader
Excited to read the next book !
Nadia Awadi
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Okami, I luuurve you bitch. I seriously do. BUT this wasn't a novella. Or anything really. It's just his POV after what happened in flame in the mist. It's definitely okay not to read this. It doesn't add anything to anything. But since I'm Okami trash, I will give it 3 stars.
Manisha
Actual review: 3.5

Ahdieh is a genius! This is one of two free ‘digital shorts’ to be released before the final book of this duology. For people like me who enjoyed the first book but can’t remember the details, this is a great refresher course. (Now I can enjoy or not enjoy the next book on its own merit, rather than based on what I remember.)

We follow the thought processes of Ōkami as he is captured and taken to the capitol. In all honesty, nothing happens, but through his inner monologue I am
Dannii Elle
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 3.75/5 stars.

This is the first of two short story additions to the central The Flame in the Mist duology. It is told from the perspective of Okami and follows directly on from events in the first book.

This delivered a story that was not necessary for a full understanding of the central story-line but was an engaging addition, all the same. The scene detailed was not a repetition of one the reader had encountered before and it also exhibited some beautiful penmanship, conveyed deep
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
“but heroes, after all, were a thing to hate.”

lowkey was hoping for this to be a backstory of ōkami since i love him so much, but this didn’t really add anything to the story for me.

→ 2.5 stars
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Perfect length for a cuppa.

A decent enough couple chapters that give us a closed look at Ōkami and what's going on inside his head during events between the first and second book.

But I don't like Ōkami, shhh.
Irene Sim
This is just a small scene and not enough to give credit to..
Coreen ❇
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Officially ready for the second book.
Yusra  ✨
Jun 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
how did i not know this existed?? renee ahdieh is the queen of novellas, she has 3 for her other series, so why did i not expect this??
i think i really need to read this before book 2 because i literally remember nothing from Flame in the Mist.
rachael ♡
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, novellas, fantasy
"Warmth settled around his heart. Soothed his soul. Even if Ōkami died a thousand deaths, it would be worth it."

4 stars! I really loved being in Ōkami's POV and ate up every extra bit of info about his family and backstory. I wish it had a bit more of that, or was a bit longer, but I guess that's what SMOKE IN THE SUN is for. :) The last page made me SO emotional about his relationships with a variety of the characters, which I was NOT PREPARED FOR. Thanks, Renee.
Azbaqiyah
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Oh my god....

The tension is bulking up and yet the words are written so beautiful.
Ezgi Tülü
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Even if Ōkami died a thousand deaths, it would be worth it.

I'm so ready for Smoke in the Sun!
mith
But heroes, after all, were a thing to hate.

I love this line! This made me want to reread Flame in the Mist tbh. But also excited for the sequel!
Raquel Flockhart
“Perhaps heroes were a thing to hate.”

I’ll be honest with you: I decided to read this novella tonight just because I wanted to complete my Goodreads Reading Challenge. I read Flame in the Mist a year ago and it was just okay for me. Despise that, I was planning to read Smoke in the Sun, the second and last book of the duology, this year—which didn’t happen.

As the name of this novella suggests, this is a very short story about Ōkami. It takes place a few hours after the ending of Flame in the

Noah
A fun little short story with some insight into Okami's brain. I would have liked it more if it was longer, but honestly that's my only complaint here.
Laysa
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-feels
Ok, but what the heck is this?
It's like 10 pages long.
Honestly, it could've been at the end of Flame in the Mist as a bonus or something.
Nancy The book junkie
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Monique V
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Why so short!!!!

I want more! He is such an interesting character and I want to know more about his power and where it comes from! I hope the next book answers my questions!
Mel Anie
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Flame in the Mist
Mini review:
Rating: 4 honest stars ✨ (would give 5 if it was longer lol)

Okami is a short story (barely 8 pages) . It is written from the perspective of Okami and is following up narrative from Flame in the Mist.

Okami is also a good book to remind oneself how previous book ended. It's written in an easy to read way with well-blended-in-text explanation of items.

Really recommendable for fans of 1st book in this duology!
Beatrice in Bookland
"Perhaps these heroes did not exist, save for in stories.
Ōkami was not a hero. His father had died trying to be one.
Perhaps heroes were a thing to hate."

It wasn't a fantastic novella, it was too short (this seems to be Ahdieh's style tho, she always writes her novellas like this) but it was nice to read Ōkami's thoughts!

And now I need Smoke in the sun even more.
Ana Tascón
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
OMG! I am not okay! Send help... and Smoke in the Sun! I need to read it now.
Nafeeza
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would consider this an Amuse-bouche for Smoke in the Sun. Enjoy!
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
I loved it but it was too short! I need more Okami! I can't wait to read Smoke In the Sun!
Phoenix2
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: YA fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
Just the thoughts of Okami in the cage while he is captured and moved to his prison. Can be skipped.
Mallowmar
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short story about Okami that takes shortly after the events of book 1 and before book 2.
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Gah! Such a tease! Can't wait for Smoke in the Sun! This just wet my appetite! I loved the little bits we got of what will now happen in Smoke in the Sun! I need my book to ship already! I NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *GRABBY HANDS!*
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Riden's Chapter (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1.5)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
  • Kiss of the Royal
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Pieces of Ourselves
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Every Exquisite Thing (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #3)
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
  • Learn about Loss (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #4)
  • Cast Long Shadows (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #2)
  • The Wicked Ones (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #6)
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

Flame in the Mist (2 books)
  • Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)
  • Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)