Start by marking “Dune Boy: The Early Years of a Naturalist” as Want to Read:
Dune Boy: The Early Years of a Naturalist

Dune Boy: The Early Years of a Naturalist

The great naturalist, Edwin Way Teale, spent his boyhood holidays and summers at his grandparents' farm, Lone Oak, in Indiana. In Dune Boy, first published in 1943, he recounts these buccolic visits and his budding interest in the natural world around him. A loner, often bullied by other children, Teale escaped to the roof of the old house where he gazed at the golden dune ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Bibliopola Press (first published December 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dune Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dune Boy

Janna Odenthal
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute book with some laugh-out-loud moments. I could very much relate since I grew up in his hometown area and raised my son in the dune area that the author visited each summer. Interesting, there is a house with a plaque in the dunes area that tells about the author and his visits, as mentioned in the book. A fun read.
Jan
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
Even though I know many of the names in this story (making it more personal), it is one of great memories. Kids today don't know what they're missing!
Steven Shook
This book by natural history writer Edwin Way Teale provides 30 chapters of vignettes of Teale's summers spent on his grandparents' small farm at Furnessville in Porter County, Indiana. In many respects, several of the stories told foretell Teale's profession as an adult. There are numerous stories and comments concerning wildlife and nature made throughout the book. Other stores, such as those concerning early flight and Teale's own experimental flights, really have nothing to do with natural h ...more
Alysia
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
I read this book as part of the Dow Gardens book club. I would probably rate this at a 2 1/2 stars if I could. This is the memoir of the summers and holidays that Edwin Way Teale spent with his grandparents in the early 1900s in their farm in Northern Indiana near Lake Michigan. I enjoyed reading as the first part of the early 20th century was unfolding in front of him. He tells of the early airplanes, cars, his first typewriter, his first camera, and many other firsts of that time.

I would go w
Lisa Bittle
May 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book came highly recommended by a Charlotte Mason book listing. I sought this book out, and purchased an antique copy. I should have just left this book where it was, instead though. As this book was the most boring book I've ever laid eyes on. WOW! It had no purpose, it taught nothing, and was not even written well. After reading this book, it sure will make me think twice about any book listings that include this book as a must read.
Elizabeth Olson
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
At the turn of the 20th century, the author spent his summer adventuring through dunes, woods, and his grandparents farm at the edge of Lake Michigan. Cumulatively, these charming tales of small scale adventure paint a picture of a boy becoming a naturalist and a writer.
Debra
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Growing up in the Indiana Dunes, becoming.a naturalist and writer.
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was a delight from start to finish.
John
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
An inside look at what life was like in the Dunes along Lake Michigan before man moved in.
Adrienne
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read the first 5 chapters aloud to my daughter and we were bored. I like his other books, but was not crazy about how he wrote this one. It is not a good read aloud.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Dan Moore
May 24, 2012
Tim
Apr 03, 2011
Edwin Way Teale was an American naturalist, photographer, and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer. Teale's works serve as primary source material documenting environmental conditions across North America from 1930 - 1980. He is perhaps best known for his series The American Seasons, four books documenting over 75,000 miles (121,000 km) of automobile travel across North America following the changing sea ...more