Start by marking “1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die” as Want to Read:
1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

(1001 Before You Die)

What the critics are saying...

“1001 MOVIES You Must See Before You Die ... a great motivating guide to cinema. After reading one of its engaging, often profound entries on a missed film, you want to run out and rent it.”

Dallas Morning News

“If you’re constantly wondering what to pop into the VCR or DVD player, get this book!”

The Star

“An excellent new film anthology...1

Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

Paul Bryant
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
If you only ever saw movies from this 1001 list you’d be missing a whole ton of fun and you’d have to be really quite insane but still you’d have a pretty great time. Yeah, your favourite movie may well not be in here but you know what? You're just one insignificant worm and your opinions don't count. And so am I. And so is Steven jay Schneider! We are the worms!

Don’t know why I did not review this before, I have been using it for years. I’ve seen 492 of the 1001 movies listed, and lemme tell y
Bunny
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-10
I'm annoyed. Color me annoyed. Which is a shade close to mustard yellow.

1001 movies. ONE THOUSAND AND ONE MOVIES.

And they didn't include The Labyrinth. Or Mary Poppins. Or The Seven-Year Itch. Or a multitude of other movies that there is absolutely NO reason to leave off the list.

ESPECIALLY when I turned the page and saw the words "There's Something About Mary".

You're going to include a shitty-ass movie like that, which is not in any way funny, and you're going to leave off something as incredib
Evan
Since this list keeps getting updated, it's a bit of moving target, meaning that newer editions by necessity have to chop off even more older titles in order to accommodate the newer entrants. So, does this mean that movies on the older lists that haven't been forwarded to make the cut are no longer "movies you have to see before you die?" Hopefully, all of the lists are being referred to by the OCD list checkers.

I'm an insane movie nut, yet even I am not sure if you have to see any movies befor
A.
I am not a huge movie person, but I wanted to see how many of these I have already seen, and I haven't seen very many. Movies just aren't my thing but these are the ones I have seen:
Angels with Dirty Faces - 1938
Cool Hand Luke - 1967
Woodstock - 1970
Willy Wonka
Sophie Crane
I really like this book.
It is arranged in chronological order from the 1900s to the present day.
The films contained therein, are a real variety of genres and styles.
There are reviews and information about many films I am familiar with, and a good few I am not.
Each film is described by one of the contributors with details of the whys and wherefores it is included in the book.
There are many foreign language films included in this guide including French, Russian, German, Italian, Japanese and Spani
Professor
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cinephiles
Recommended to Professor by: Co-worker
Shelves: did-not-finish
Although I was unable to finish the book before I felt guilty and stopped abusing my librarian privileges to continually renew it, I found that it was an excellent book-covered "Bests" or "Greats" in every genre, time period, and country. As a serious movie buff it is often hard for any sort of movie list, even a "1001" one, to come up with stuff I haven't heard of before, but this book did just that; what's more they treated genre films respectfully and gave them their due. A friend said it was ...more
Sarai
This is a nice little (well, not exactly little) book that gives information on movies. I used it to make a list of movies I want to watch, so it was handy in that way. However, there were a couple of things I did not like about the book.

For one thing, none of the pictures were labeled. I know the pictures came from the movie being described, but it would have been nice to know who the actor was, who the character was, and maybe a little blurb about that scene.

The other thing that bothered me w
Sean
Sep 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So generic it's almost frustrating. PS, you don't need to see Independence Day before you die.
Al Capwned
There are many great films on that list but also some not-really-that-good ones and I don't need to mention the fact that it's mostly centered on american cinema, so some people won't see many of their favourites but it's a decent work, compared to many other books of the series.
Natalie
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My face was glued to this book from the minute I got it. I've only seen 131 of these movies, so my to-watch list has grown considerably... ;D
Robert Beveridge
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginners in great-movies lists
Steven Jay Schneider (ed.), 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Barron's, 2005)

I have no idea how I didn't review this the first time around, but it seems I didn't, so here we are close to three years later; according to my spreadsheet, I finished this up on January 31, 2010.

Schneider's book is different than a number of others of this ilk I have reviewed, and loved, in the past in that Schneider is acting as editor here; the 1001 pieces are collected from a number of film critics, rather
Debbie
I have tracked the list and it's changes across all editions, mostly with help from Filmsquish and 1001 Films Wiki. But for this edition, I wanted to make the comparisons myself. I was intrigued at how many changes were made, as though a new group of folks assisted Schneider.

I love films and, when I found out about this book, I'd seen between 200 and 300 of them. There are many films I learned of that I'd not likely have seen were it not for this list and it's many editions.

If you would like t
Camila Reinehr
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Há alguns pontos importantes que você deve saber sobre este livros:

1) ideia: juntar em uma lista os 1001 filmes que valem a pena serem vistos - veja bem, não é lista dos MELHORES filmes e sim filmes que, por algum motivo, contribuíram com a indústria do cinema;

2) execução: o livro conta com a colaboração de 67 conhecedores de cinema (não são exatamente críticos) de todas as partes do mundo. Isso quer dizer que há filmes de tudo quanto é país, não só americanos ou europeus.

3) conteúdo: há todo o
Victoria
When I say 'read', of course I mean 'flicked through and stopped at certain eye-catching points'.

A nice collection of films - some that I agree with, some that I don't (but that's going to happen with everyone, isn't it?) Some of the reviews are a bit simplistic and some contain spoilers. The pictures make for good viewing (and so they should) but often don't contain credits. Little bug-bears. It's a fantastic book to leave on your coffee table (along with 1001 Books to Read Before You Die of c
Jeroen Berndsen
Of course it's no wonder when putting together a list as large as this one, one is bound to have several disagreements. It's the entire feeling of the list however that doesn't inspire me with enough trust to think Schneider actually knows what he's talking about and secondly, I'm not exactly sure that the films on this list are placed there by sound criteria. The choice that a particular movie's on there isn't always properly explained and several people on the internet cruising through Schneid ...more
Chris
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I might have enjoyed this compilation more had the author made more of an effort to show some enthusiasm for the films mentioned. The writing style of this book is drier than eating Saltine crackers while drinking powdered milk in the Sahara desert. As a result, I found myself becoming frequently bored.

Also, I don't know if this was some sort of sick joke, but how is it that schlock like "Armageddon" and "There's Something About Mary" make the list of movies one must see before their death, yet
Stephen Coates
This isn’t a book that one reads but a book one thumbs through, reading the odd review of a film one hasn’t seen but is interested in and tallies how many one has seen. Of those in the book I have seen, there are a few that were a complete waste of time along with a good many gems. For the record, I still have over 900 to go and I’m not in any hurry to check most of them off.
Jacob Blanck
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Movie buffs
Recommended to Jacob by: My brother, Ryan
This book is stunningly Cool! Totally compared to award-winning Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide. I really liked turning pages about those movies I have seen. They have movie posters, details like running time, and other cool stuff. This gives those movies year-by-year from the earliest movie to the latest. If you're a movie buff, you'll like this book.
Elaine
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found a copy on my mentor’s (Ricky Lee) living room. I took it home though it’s so heavy. Helped me to be familiar with movies more (I have to, coz I’ll be a film writer). Happy to see some of my favorite movies in there (Singin’ in the Rain, Phantom of the Opera) Yes I do love musicales. And proud that there’s a Pinoy film (Maynila: Sa Kuko ng Liwanag) included.
Bear
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've flipped through this book and there's no way in heck I'll ever see all these films. Nor would I want to because I have a mind of my own. (And better taste!) But it was still fun to see what other people think everyone should see.
Brittany
A fun Christmas present we received. We've enjoyed finding some good movies from this book and it's re-motivated us to check out classics we still haven't seen (As if we need to watch more movies-yikes!)
Denita
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only seen 126 of the movies on the list. I hope to get a chance to see more of them.
Amy
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Read this off and on throughout this year. Want to get an updated list and watch through it. I recommend this because it has a LOT of amazing movies in it.
Liz Janet
Do not let the title fool you, there are more than 1001 films on this list, and you really don't have to see them before death.
Here are the best ones:
-Pan'
Durwood
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
Typically I avoid list books in general (especially movie list books) because, as a huge movie buff myself, I can never trust a static list to age well. I love that this book is now in its 7th edition, explicitly acknowledging the need to continually re-evaluate such lists. The preface and introduction do an excellent job of explaining the thought process behind the selections and individual movie reviews will often explain why that particular movie is included in the list.

But how can we tell if
Matt
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lists
The 1001 series is now so extensive as to take in almost every facet of modern culture. Beer, video games, TV Series, restaurants, albums, paintings and whisky are just some of the examples of subjects that have had the "1001" treatment. Most, one imagines, would be next-to-useless but 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die is probably one of the most valid.

Like books, subjective opinion on great films is given to cultural bias, which means when you are reading a "100 greatest films" list, you
E.H. Nolan
Sorted by specific genre at the start of the book, then laid out chronologically, and finally indexed alphabetically in the final pages, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die is an incredibly inclusive book. It was published in 2003, so the last movie included is 2002’s Chicago (also included as the image on the spine of the book), but Steven Jay Schneider has come out with several other editions, published in 2005, 2012, 2013, and 2015, so you can check those books out if you want a more mode ...more
John Kennedy
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has many keen observations from 60 film critics that will make moviegoers think. I would have liked to have seen more selections from the 1930s and 1940s, but they are well represented nonetheless. There are an overabundance of foreign-language films in the 1960s. I have a hard time understanding why "There's Something About Mary" and "Boogie Nights" are as essential to see as "Casablanca" and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." Thankfully, the authors are fans of Billy Wilder and Alfred H ...more
Emily
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only have seen 139 of these movies. I was so hoping that my average would be higher than 14% (if you round up.) Apparently my new year’s resolution needs to be watching more movies. When I finish school, I’m going to buy this book and work my way through all of the movies! Ok, so maybe that’s a little ambitious, but I can at least try. There were so many films that I want to see some day in the list. Finally, I was super happy to see Arrival on the cover. If you haven’t seen it, you need to ru ...more
Allison
I enjoy this book, a lot. I've picked it up and read through it multiple times. I am sure I will read through it many more times too. I appreciate the descriptions of the films, that they are listed chronologically, and that they are not all American nor English-speaking films. It does make me wonder which films that have been released since its publication would be added to its collection - and, moreover, I wonder which would be removed.
1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die 5 58 Aug 21, 2013 01:49AM
  • 501 Must-See Movies
  • 1001 Natural Wonders: You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Foods You Must Taste Before You Die
  • Cult Movies: The Classics, the Sleepers, the Weird, and the Wonderful
  • 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die: The World's Architectural Masterpieces
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • Film History: An Introduction
  • How to Read a Film: The World of Movies, Media, Multimedia: Language, History, Theory
  • 501 Great Writers: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of Literature
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • It's Only a Movie: A Personal Biography of Alfred Hitchcock
  • 1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die
  • For Keeps: 30 Years at the Movies
Steven Jay Schneider is a film critic, scholar, and producer with M.A. degrees in Philosophy from Harvard University and in Cinema Studies from New York University. He is the author and editor of numerous books on world cinema, most notably in the horror genre. They include Eurohorror, The Cinema of Wes Craven: An Auteur on Elm Street, Designing Fear: An Aesthetics of Cinematic Horror, Killing in ...more

1001 Before You Die (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
  • 1001 Battles That Changed the Course of World History
  • 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die
  • 1001 Bicycles to Dream of Riding
  • 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
  • 1001 Cars to Dream of Driving Before You Die
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • 1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die (1001 before you die)
  • 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die: The Ultimate Guide to Comic Books, Graphic Novels, and Manga
“THE MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA(1929) the 'honesty' of documentary as compared with fiction film, the 'perfection' of the cinematic eye compared with human eye.” 3 likes
“You have got to be good in that town if you want to beat the crowd.' So says young John on his first sight of New York City. THE CROWD (1928)” 2 likes