Start by marking “1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die” as Want to Read:
1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

Here is everything you need to know about the movies you simply must see—all 1001 of them! Whether you want to look up details about a film you thought you knew by heart, or if you’re simply trying to decide what to watch tonight, 1001 Movies will serve as your ultimate movie guide. It presents everything you need to know about those magnificent, must-see films—not only t

Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

Start your review of 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die
Paul Bryant
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
If you only ever saw movies from this 1001 list you’d be missing a whole ton of fun and you’d have to be really quite insane but still you’d have a pretty great time. Yeah, your favourite movie may well not be in here but you know what? You're just one insignificant worm and your opinions don't count. And so am I. And so is Steven jay Schneider! We are the worms!

Don’t know why I did not review this before, I have been using it for years. I’ve seen 492 of the 1001 movies listed, and lemme tell y
Bunny
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-10
I'm annoyed. Color me annoyed. Which is a shade close to mustard yellow.

1001 movies. ONE THOUSAND AND ONE MOVIES.

And they didn't include The Labyrinth. Or Mary Poppins. Or The Seven-Year Itch. Or a multitude of other movies that there is absolutely NO reason to leave off the list.

ESPECIALLY when I turned the page and saw the words "There's Something About Mary".

You're going to include a shitty-ass movie like that, which is not in any way funny, and you're going to leave off something as incredib
Sophie Crane
I really like this book.
It is arranged in chronological order from the 1900s to the present day.
The films contained therein, are a real variety of genres and styles.
There are reviews and information about many films I am familiar with, and a good few I am not.
Each film is described by one of the contributors with details of the whys and wherefores it is included in the book.
There are many foreign language films included in this guide including French, Russian, German, Italian, Japanese and Spani
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4 STARS
2017; Barron's Educational Series
(Review Not on Blog)

I love these kind of reference books on movies as it is interesting to see how my opinion differs or is the similar. Very easy to read and fun.

***I received an eARC from EDELWEISS***

Evan
Since this list keeps getting updated, it's a bit of moving target, meaning that newer editions by necessity have to chop off even more older titles in order to accommodate the newer entrants. So, does this mean that movies on the older lists that haven't been forwarded to make the cut are no longer "movies you have to see before you die?" Hopefully, all of the lists are being referred to by the OCD list checkers.

I'm an insane movie nut, yet even I am not sure if you have to see any movies befor
Natalie
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My face was glued to this book from the minute I got it. I've only seen 131 of these movies, so my to-watch list has grown considerably... ;D
A.
I am not a huge movie person, but I wanted to see how many of these I have already seen, and I haven't seen very many. Movies just aren't my thing but these are the ones I have seen:
Angels with Dirty Faces - 1938
Willy Wonka
Sean
Sep 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So generic it's almost frustrating. PS, you don't need to see Independence Day before you die.
Patricia
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure when one is allowed to mark this as read but I've read the introductions and ticked every movie I've seen so I'd say that's as close as I can get right now. From what I've seen the collection seems to be pretty solid, some of my favourite (especially newer) films are missing but as a guide for what to watch when you have no inspiration this is a wonderful source to get back to.
Will R
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I finished it. I would not recommend a cover-to-cover read; this book, ironically, became like a movie that had overstayed its welcome. It would be a great book for film buffs to turn into every few days and find a new movie for the evening. I'll stick to rewatching Peep Show.
Professor
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cinephiles
Recommended to Professor by: Co-worker
Shelves: did-not-finish
Although I was unable to finish the book before I felt guilty and stopped abusing my librarian privileges to continually renew it, I found that it was an excellent book-covered "Bests" or "Greats" in every genre, time period, and country. As a serious movie buff it is often hard for any sort of movie list, even a "1001" one, to come up with stuff I haven't heard of before, but this book did just that; what's more they treated genre films respectfully and gave them their due. A friend said it was ...more
Sarai
This is a nice little (well, not exactly little) book that gives information on movies. I used it to make a list of movies I want to watch, so it was handy in that way. However, there were a couple of things I did not like about the book.

For one thing, none of the pictures were labeled. I know the pictures came from the movie being described, but it would have been nice to know who the actor was, who the character was, and maybe a little blurb about that scene.

The other thing that bothered me w
Chris
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I might have enjoyed this compilation more had the author made more of an effort to show some enthusiasm for the films mentioned. The writing style of this book is drier than eating Saltine crackers while drinking powdered milk in the Sahara desert. As a result, I found myself becoming frequently bored.

Also, I don't know if this was some sort of sick joke, but how is it that schlock like "Armageddon" and "There's Something About Mary" make the list of movies one must see before their death, yet
Al Capwned
There are many great films on that list but also some not-really-that-good ones and I don't need to mention the fact that it's mostly centered on american cinema, so some people won't see many of their favourites but it's a decent work, compared to many other books of the series.
E.H. Nolan
Sorted by specific genre at the start of the book, then laid out chronologically, and finally indexed alphabetically in the final pages, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die is an incredibly inclusive book. It was published in 2003, so the last movie included is 2002’s Chicago (also included as the image on the spine of the book), but Steven Jay Schneider has come out with several other editions, published in 2005, 2012, 2013, and 2015, so you can check those books out if you want a more mode ...more
William Schram
Cinema, like other artistic mediums, has a storied history. 1001 Movies to Watch Before You Die is another book in this series and it focuses on movies. The edition I have found is from 2015 so it is slightly more recent. The editors of this project acknowledge that producing a list that is meant to cover all great movies is daunting, to say the least, even if one has 1001 spaces to fill. So a team of experts gathered together for this project and probably spent months determining what to leave ...more
Andrew Greatbatch
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
My Mum's boyfriend got me this for my 23rd birthday. I've marked off the movies that I've seen and read their respective essays. I'm going to watch quite a lot of these in the future and can see myself coming back to this book on a daily basis. Great read!
John Parks
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emma Dargue
Good reference book to look up some of your favourite movies. As with any list of things there will be things that are controversial or that you disagree with. The descriptions highlighting each film are short concise and easy to read however if you want something a lot more in depth you are looking in the wrong place. However enjoyed it.
Benjamin
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a movie aficionado, it was only a matter of time before I picked up this book. At the time, the 5th edition covered most of the films that were out at the time, but I do realize there are more recent versions of this book that include some of the latest hits of the last decade. Not one to use this book as a simple desk reference, I took the time to sit down and read through the reviews of these 1,000+ movies. In the time since buying this book, I’ve managed to increase my percentage of films ...more
Victoria
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Thing is the size of a dictionary. Helpful when you're looking for something to watch. I can't believe how many movies in this book that I know. I'm making a list to check off as I go in the future. So this isn't much of a review. More like a memo.

Have watched:
Whiplash (2014) - didn't like
Birdman (2014) - didn't like
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Boyhood (2014) - didn't like
12 years a Slave (2013) - didn't like
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - didn't like
Life of Pi (2012) - didn't like
Django Uncha
Robert Beveridge
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginners in great-movies lists
Steven Jay Schneider (ed.), 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Barron's, 2005)

I have no idea how I didn't review this the first time around, but it seems I didn't, so here we are close to three years later; according to my spreadsheet, I finished this up on January 31, 2010.

Schneider's book is different than a number of others of this ilk I have reviewed, and loved, in the past in that Schneider is acting as editor here; the 1001 pieces are collected from a number of film critics, rather
Durwood
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
Typically I avoid list books in general (especially movie list books) because, as a huge movie buff myself, I can never trust a static list to age well. I love that this book is now in its 7th edition, explicitly acknowledging the need to continually re-evaluate such lists. The preface and introduction do an excellent job of explaining the thought process behind the selections and individual movie reviews will often explain why that particular movie is included in the list.

But how can we tell if
Debbie
I have tracked the list and it's changes across all editions, mostly with help from Filmsquish and 1001 Films Wiki. But for this edition, I wanted to make the comparisons myself. I was intrigued at how many changes were made, as though a new group of folks assisted Schneider.

I love films and, when I found out about this book, I'd seen between 200 and 300 of them. There are many films I learned of that I'd not likely have seen were it not for this list and it's many editions.

If you would like t
Victoria
When I say 'read', of course I mean 'flicked through and stopped at certain eye-catching points'.

A nice collection of films - some that I agree with, some that I don't (but that's going to happen with everyone, isn't it?) Some of the reviews are a bit simplistic and some contain spoilers. The pictures make for good viewing (and so they should) but often don't contain credits. Little bug-bears. It's a fantastic book to leave on your coffee table (along with 1001 Books to Read Before You Die of c
Jeroen Berndsen
Of course it's no wonder when putting together a list as large as this one, one is bound to have several disagreements. It's the entire feeling of the list however that doesn't inspire me with enough trust to think Schneider actually knows what he's talking about and secondly, I'm not exactly sure that the films on this list are placed there by sound criteria. The choice that a particular movie's on there isn't always properly explained and several people on the internet cruising through Schneid ...more
Kyrie
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, a list of things I should do (or not do if I want to live forever?). I'm sure I haven't seen most of these.
My spouse immediately fired up Netflix and began checking to see how many he could find there. Failing that, he's scouring the library. For his entertainment, I'd give the book a 5.
1900s - None.
1910s - I've seen part of one.
1920s - Two and part of a third one.
1930s - Wow - six!
1940s - Eleven, thank goodness for Disney.
1950s - Fourteen, mostly because someone here likes old Westerns.
Sevenponds
Since I’m a film fan one of my personal favorites is the book “1001 movies you must see before you die.”

This book catalogs an excellent selection of the must see movies through a chronological time line that starts with the silent films in the early 1900’s and quickly jumps into the 50’s when the film industry burst open. It’s a real kick to flip through this hefty book and view one’s life through the films that the Boomer lifestyle inspired. Or was it film that created the lifestyle? Often it’s
Monica (crazy_4_books)
A movie chronology of what the writer thinks are the essential movies to watch in our lifetime. It's all very subjective. I forgot to add this chunky beast when I registered in Goodreads back in May.
It's a book that works more as a guide. I actually didn't read all the information of all the movies, only the ones I've seen. It contains spoilers. What I did was marked which ones I'm interested in seeing someday. For movie fans it's no a bad guide. The quality of paper and the pictures are great!
Allison
I enjoy this book, a lot. I've picked it up and read through it multiple times. I am sure I will read through it many more times too. I appreciate the descriptions of the films, that they are listed chronologically, and that they are not all American nor English-speaking films. It does make me wonder which films that have been released since its publication would be added to its collection - and, moreover, I wonder which would be removed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die 5 60 Aug 21, 2013 01:49AM
1001movies 1 6 May 18, 2013 07:28AM
This is not The H...: Holiday Movies 9 13 Sep 24, 2011 02:40PM

• Rebel Without a Crew, or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker with $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
  • 1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die
  • Breve Historia Universal (hasta el año 2000)
  • 1001 TV Series You Must Watch Before You Die
  • 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
  • 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die: A Life-Changing List
  • 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
  • 501 Must-See Movies
  • Think Like an Artist: and Lead a More Creative, Productive Life
  • The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon - The Story Behind the Craze That Touched Our Lives and Changed the World
  • I Lost it at the Movies: Film Writings, 1954-1965
  • Kino-Eye
  • The Magic Lantern
  • Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius
  • گرگی در کمین
  • Lessons with Kiarostami
  • For God, Country & Coca-Cola: The Definitive History of the Great American Soft Drink and the Company That Makes It
Steven Jay Schneider is a film critic, scholar, and producer with M.A. degrees in Philosophy from Harvard University and in Cinema Studies from New York University. He is the author and editor of numerous books on world cinema, most notably in the horror genre. They include Eurohorror, The Cinema of Wes Craven: An Auteur on Elm Street, Designing Fear: An Aesthetics of Cinematic Horror, Killing in ...more