Start by marking “Firestone Key” as Want to Read:
Firestone Key

Firestone Key

What power would you use to make it right?

Elaine survives an abusive childhood that leaves her with a scarred face and an exceptional mind. In order to save humanity from a terrible fate, she devises The Project: an impossible manipulation of time.

But when the fading vortex inexplicably bursts into life, Elaine is blasted into a medieval society that bears no relation to
Published March 31st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Firestone Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firestone Key

Julia Blake
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since I’ve read science fiction and I was looking forward to this immensely, having heard nothing but good things about it. However, I would quibble about the genre it’s been placed in, to me the book fits more neatly in a fantasy bracket, as it’s not set in space or the future, there aren’t any aliens involved, and it’s not heavy on the science side. Instead, it’s the story of brilliant loner Elaine. Abused by her father and with a miserable childhood behind her, she’s headhun ...more
Nicky Blue
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I really enjoyed this read but a very talented author. It has time travel, magic and great characterisation. The story plots well and has a strong female lead character who is very easy to root for. Definitely worth a read!

Jessica Gaskin
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. A bit out of my comfort zone, as far as the genre goes, but I'm really glad I gave it a go. It features some of my favourite characters that I've come across for a long time. Including Drevel the farting but lovable dog, and Melith, the amazing woman who made me think of that friend's mum that everyone knows in school. that everyone is slightly afraid of but also really wants to impress!
I won't go into the other characters as I don't want to give too much away, but le
Sathepine
What an exhilarating adventure through time travel! Action, tragedy, and love surrounding complex and charming characters make for an enjoyable read. This is such an inventive tale, expertly crafted with a bit of science and a lot of magic. It takes a while to get through to the language structure, but it eventually elevates the material by taking the reader to a different time and place. For quite a dark story, it has a cozy feel to it, full of characters you can’t help but love. I finished the ...more
Sydney Mann
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Firestone Key was complex and creative. Full of twists and turns, it will keep the reader guessing. I found the transition between the present and past jarring and the language a bit of a challenge, but the author has created a cast of unique characters and a compelling storyline that comes to a startling ending.
Michelle Miller
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A soul-crushing, chuckle-inducing, get in your head, magical jaunt through time

I love time travel stories. I always have. There’s something about weaving human interactions and actions through time, the cause and effect of life, that has always interested me. I was hooked on Firestone Key from page one and that hold continued through to the very end. Noe does an amazing job of intertwining the story back and forth through time, leaving little clues here and there that are powerful enough to be n
Gemma Kirkman
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. It was well written, nicely paced and so very intriguing. The characters I thoroughly got swept up in, particularly Elaine. The themes of time travel and consequence are one of my favourite themes in fantasy literature and the author did it uniquely. Excellent read, would highly recommend.
Barbara Strickland
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Something different

A mixture of time travel and fantasy, this was a very good read. It started a little slow but as each chapter unfolded the plot became more and more fascinating. The main character in particular was very appealing. Her growth as she adapts to the situation she finds herself in, is endearing, and cements a strong female role model.

The use of language in conversations, altered to the demands of the new world was clever and believable. The world-building itself was complex, and f
Claire Heaven
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Noe really does a great job of introducing the tormented introvert 12 year-old Elaine and the 13 year-old leggy twins Neil and Leila. Four years at the academy for gifted children pass and the trio is still inseparable. When the genius Leila is given free rein to go in whatever direction she wants she drags her brother and best friend along; another six years pass before the world is in crisis and The Project takes shape. Her transportation back in time is well written and the new land she is th ...more
Rob Beck
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I rather enjoyed Firestone Key. Caroline has created a cast of characters, who are all distinct and clearly identifiable, I also enjoyed their dialect a lot. There are a lot of good ideas and plot twists and the story is full of humour.

To be honest, I was wavering between three and four stars for Firestone Key, and I think with an edit it would have been an easy four.

For me, part one of the book read a little awkwardly, and in places I struggled to understand what was happening, until I started
Ursula Visser
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author nearly lost me in the first few chapters of the book. For me, the beginning was chaotic, not smoothly enough to be an easy read. The use of the language in the other world was clever, but I had to get used to it.
Having said that, after a few chapters the story became very interesting, and the characters all had a good and a bad side, which is a good thing. There are a lot of characters who I loved. The story is complex, has humour, time-travel, hate, love, and in this world a mistake
Catherine
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story had me captivated! Time travel can be confusing if not well-executed, and the author did a fantastic job building a believable fantasy world filled with quirky lovable and not so lovable characters, all flawed in their own unique ways. How fun this would be on the big screen, particularly a scene involving a TRex/dragon hybrid, an air balloon, and a plump, feisty Melith that I just loved! The dialogue did take some getting used to, but didn’t dampen my enjoyment of the story. There’s ...more
Leah Skinner
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firestone Key is intriguing and clever, and I found myself intoxicated by the storyline of this time-travelling, save-the-world speculative fiction novel. Caroline is an outstanding author of detailed sci-fi/ fantasy novels. Her writing is captivating and engaging, drawing the reader in with descriptive and exciting prose.
Mikki Noble
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a great storyline and kept me interested to the very last page. I'd definitely recommend it.
Sandra