Start by marking “King of the Road (Brotherhood of the Wheel, #2)” as Want to Read:
King of the Road (Brotherhood of the Wheel, #2)

King of the Road

(Brotherhood of the Wheel #2)

The Brotherhood of the Wheel return to explore the haunted byways and truck stops of the U.S. Interstate Highway System

Published December 4th 2018 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about King of the Road, please sign up.
Bradley Valentine It’s listed above as Brotherhood of the Wheel #2 for series. I’d expect some variation of that, like The Brotherhood series. It fits, right?

Maybe we…more

Maybe we can do better in picking a sly but also cutesy name for fans of this series or of Belcher in general. The Belchies! I wish I could spell out the sound I make from my stomach to mouth after slamming a can of Coca Cola Classic (ACK! I mean Cheerwine!!) because that would be an amazing club name for R.S. Belcher fans. The RC Colas? (less)

Soo
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, favorites
Review to Come

Notes:
I already want the next book! Maybe it'll take less than two years to come out? Maybe?

ETA: Well. Okay. Maybe the third book will come out in like 3 years? I read an article & it seems like the author has several projects lined up. Which is good! More books! Just not necessarily one here.

At the end of the story, I'm left thinking:

When is there ever a right or good time to start a story? The very beginning? Middle? Towards the end? Yet, since time moves on, there's no true
Beth Roberts
There is so much going on in this book! Clocking in at a little under 400 pages, subplots include: politics within motorcycle gangs and wars, Nicholas Flamel and alchemy, a bit of H. P. Lovecraft's weirdness, familial physical and psychological abuse, Insane Clown Posse and juggaloes, the mystery of The Black Dahlia murder, hobo history and riding the rails. As well as all that, there are the usual urban fantasy tropes: secret organizations with large agendas and werewolves.

So, of course, I love
Melissa
Insane Clown Posse, serial killer clowns who are not members of Insane Clown Posse, a werewolf motorcycle club in addition to the monster-killing motorcycle club I already knew about, the usual demons and monsters and scary things that are supposed to only come out at night but sometimes break the rules, a trailer park full of intrepid, Image comics reading kids (I could read a whole book about the trailer park full of intrepid kids!) and a tenant who goes by the name Calvin but is actually Hast ...more
Suz
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, urban-fantasy
4+ stars

I liked this one even better than the first, and I love that Belcher is starting to give us a glimpse of a longer arc. I also love Bronson Pinchot's narration and voice acting, although I wish he wouldn't whisper with some of his breathier voices. His voice is so deep that when he whispers my poor ears can't hardly hear it unless I have earbuds in. That said, I don't think I'll ever be able to get my head around the character with the Scottish brogue/Hillbilly accent. I'm not sure how Pi
J. Griff
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmie Aussapile, Lovina Marcou and Heck Sinclair are members of a secret society dedicated to protecting those who travel America's highways from the monsters, both supernatural and mundane, that lurk in the darkness just beyond your headlights. They are the Brotherhood of the Wheel.

This series has really grown on me. I bought "Brother of the Wheel" as an impulse buy & really enjoyed it. I've enjoyed the character growth of Heck & Max. I am really curious to see where Mr. Belcher is goi
Tammy
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Giveaway alert! Tor Books is kindly providing an AWESOME giveaway (U.S./Canada only), so don't forget to enter at the end of the review!
The nitty-gritty: A complex and unputdownable story filled with fascinating elements and well drawn characters makes this another must read from R.S. Belcher.

Oh Rod Belcher, you’ve done it again. If you love
L. Rambit
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The things that make them who we love are the same things that can get them killed [...] It’s enough to make you scream sometimes, but I wouldn’t trade him for anything, for all the gold in this world."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Book: 4/5 stars

Audiobook: 2/5 stars

~*~*~*~*~*~

Our heros Heck, Lovina, and Jimmie are back! Circumstances force them in different directions. Heck has to face drama with his MC after his step-father's passing; Jimmie starts on a path towards a sinister conspiracy involving th

Timelord Iain (Eeyawn)
Great followup to Brotherhood of the Wheel... and then the ending went and expanded the world/storyline even more... and now I have to wait for the next release... GRR, ARGH!!!
Bradley Valentine
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm an enthusiastic, unapologetic fan of R.S. Belcher. Look, I'm somewhat new to the fantasy/magical type genre most fans might file this work under. I know enough about where the genre stands to know Harry Dresden and the major debt owed to the guy, not to mention the copulating and rapidly spreading legion of copycat imitators. I'm not ignorant in my enthusiasm, as you might expect of a self described "newbie" (tho honestly I've read a ton of books near and/or dear to the genre, so...*shrug*). ...more
Craig
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'd been keen to see where King of the Road would lead, ever since finishing the first book in the series. I wasn't disappointed. Belcher comes up with another large supernatual threat, multiple storylines that slowly weave themselves together, and a dangerous reveal at the end that has me eager to read the third book when it comes out.

While the story is well written, and some of the characters are fascinating, there are a couple of small points that bring the story down for me. Unfortunately on
Holly Booms Walsh
This series is dark, with lots of the most evil of human characters and behaviors and horrific descriptions of murders, but it's also incredibly heartwarming. I love the idea of the existence of a few good folks maintaining the Brotherhood to protect the rest of us innocents on the Road/Rail. I love that the good people are not always the obvious subjects (motorcycle club riders, hobos, trailer park citizens, truck drivers, etc.), which felt both inclusionary and diverse. It's hopeful to believe ...more
Jeffry 유 Hess
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
KOTR is an excellent follow up to the first Bro-Wheel book and surpasses it on several levels.  It takes us deeper into Belcher's myth-mashed world and gets the readers more invested in the 4 central heroes.  The new characters we meet feel  more realized and sympathetic than the supporting cast from the first book and I would enjoy seeing several of them appear in subsequent stories.  The reader will be reminded of Sons of Anarchy and Stranger Things (Goonies, Lost Boys, etc) but the story is n ...more
Andy Zeigert
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent follow-up to the first Brotherhood of the Wheel novel, although a little slower and perhaps not as surprisingly original as the first. I might have even given it the fifth star, but the editing was atrocious. So many grammatical errors, incorrect words, run-on sentences and punctuation snafus in this edition. Really could use another polish. I’m not exactly a grammar snob but even I felt myself getting yanked out of the story when there were 2 or 3 mistakes per page. Hopefu ...more
Heather
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An great follow up to Brotherhood of the Wheel, my only quibble would be possibly too many story lines. I hope eventually when the series reaches the conclusion (many books down the line) there will be an all out battle where the extraneous characters left at end of each book come together to help the regular characters battle the forces of evil!
This next comment does not reflect the author or the story it is about the editing. Far too many spelling errors and grammar mistakes, please change you
James
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review here:

I think the real appeal to me with his various series is that while I may not be as far out on the fringe as his characters wind up being, I'm also a bit beyond the hem in real life, so I can relate to the feelings of not being part of the main body of society. That and the fact his stuff is well written makes for an author I'm keeping alerts open for new material from.
Wdmoor
One of my great pleasures as a librarian is recommending Mr Belcher's books to readers who would normally never read him because of the Fantasy label on the spine. Mr Belcher has the ability to take a story right to the razor's edge and where other authors lose it Mr. Belcher carries you along for that crazy exhilarating ride.

This is a wonderful book...highly recommended
Eric Loflin
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good follow up to Brotherhood of the Wheel. Be warned, this is very dark and disturbing. Being in the Nightwise universe, I'm very interested in if/when/how he will pull these two story lines together. The Nightwise storyline it great with some character overlap. Between the 4 books in these 2 series, it just keeps getting better and better.
Kdawg91
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is fast becoming one of my favorite urban fantasies..It has all the right elements.

Great worldbuilding, great characters, that feeling of grit that covers the story..fantasy that doesn't pull punches.

The first book was amazing, this one ramps it up.

go get this series.
Greg
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for fans of urban fantasy, the followup to Belcher's "Brotherhood of the Wheel" explores the world of trucker and monster hunter Jimmy Aussipile in greater depth than its predicessor and the author is in fine form here.
Robert
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the premise, and there's some inventive things done with tropes/urban legend/folklore - but there's also more than a whiff of treading over some old ground in terms of storytelling and series franchising.
Duane Gosser
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liking this series. Will be interesting to see how well Mr. Belcher handles the always difficult resolution of the "uber secret plot". This is where so many series go sideways as the scope increases. Here's to you sir, may 2019 bring inspiration and speed to your writing!
Sean
Feb 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible. I made it approximately 150 pages into a 350 page book and no plot had developed whatsoever. Nothing. All I had was about 5 different strings of characters, none of which intersected at all. Gave up. Was very hard to keep going before this, but I finally gave up.
Cassandra Campbell
So another one in the win column. When does the next one come out?
Mark
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from R.S Belcher. Hope it isn't another 3 years for part 3
MoreBooks2012
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from R.S Belcher! Fast paced and engaging, great characters both familiar and new ones. Looking forward to more adventures with the Brotherhood of the Wheel.
Nick Harriday
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one!!!
Janet Martin
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of appealing characters is filled out with new action and new challenges. Excellent suspense series and one that brings new life to the urban fantasy subgenre
Crysta Coburn
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jimmie, Heck, Lovina, and Max are all back for some wild and crazy shit. The fireworks start pretty much right away (where there's Heck, there's fire), and they just don't stop. The characters spend most of the book on separate paths, and you aren't always sure where it's going.

(Read my full review here: https://horror.media/book-review-king...)
Ryan
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
While I have generally enjoyed this author's books, this one just never came together for me.
Adeline
Dec 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: King of the Road [Dec 4, 2018] 31 15 Dec 08, 2018 12:29PM
R.S. (Rod) Belcher is an award-winning newspaper and magazine editor and reporter.
Rod has been a private investigator, a DJ, a comic book store owner and has degrees in criminal law, psychology and justice and risk administration, from Virginia Commonwealth University.  He's done Masters work in Forensic Science at The George Washington University, and worked  with the Occult Crime Taskforce fo

Brotherhood of the Wheel (2 books)
  • The Brotherhood of the Wheel (Brotherhood of the Wheel, #1)